TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Radiator Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostcause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator Recommendations
    Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 10:19am
I would like recommendations for a 64 American radiator. The original was repaired in the past and is leaking again. Just got a local  recore quote for $500+ so at that amount I'm leaning towards a new one. Any recommendations pro or con for a source for a replacement?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 11:30am
The vendors have them new for about $400. So new does seem the way to go. Surprised at a re-core being more then new. 
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 2:55pm
I would bite a bullet and go for the new one. I have had mixed results with rebuilt radiators.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:33pm
Although for am Ambassador V8 I've had good results with a Champion aluminum radiator. They make models to fit AMC with the brackets facing either front or back. Size-wise I think at least for 1964+ American it would be the same fit. The radiator basically dropped right in, though the fittings for the transmission cooler are different so I used barbed fittings to trans cooler hose. Cost was about $250. (Of course it doesn't look stock, so not a solution if you want to keep stock appearance. Photo below shows the original vs. the aluminum radiator.)

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:44pm
Exact replacement or a working radiator?
I have a 95 Ford Explorer radiator in  my 62 classic.
Yes you need custom hoses.  But it works well and was $25 at pull a part yard.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 7:22pm
I've done what Nick has. Radiators are very "McGuyver-able" (adaptable). You just need similar general mounting points and  in/out hose connections in similar locations - and more ideally hose size matching. But as Nick pointed out you can get hoses with differing end diameters.

New holes can be drilled* to match or flat sheet adapter plates added if the radiator steps off the mounting point a bit. I've drilled new bolt holes and even used EMT conduit to properly space a radiator. It all depends on the protrusions in the cradle.    * Drill the hole in the cradle to match the radiator in case you need to return it.

I've enlarged a early Pinto (17" radiator) to accept the later 20" radiator, (image #1, red line original, piece cut, moved and welded) put a much larger Dodge Diplomat radiator in my Plymouth Valiant (image #2, original was about 2/3rds the size) and even bailing wired the old Pinto radiator into a Mazda 323 to keep it going because two weeks later it was sold to the state (Calif.) for $1,000 in their "gross polluter buy back program" and the car had to be "driveable."

So, $500 seems rather expensive to re-core. You can probably find a $100-$150 radiator on Ebay that can be adapted..., or as Nick and I have done get a decent radiator from a self serve yard in the $25-$50 range and adapt that.

'63 American Hardtop
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 12:00am
I've got a Champion in my 68 American, with a 199, manual trans. Drop in perfect. Three rows, holds an extra half gallon of coolant. Win, win, win. I know people claim issues with aluminum radiators physically failing but I suspect a lot of complaints are based on very old experiences. 

I drove the 68 American through Las Vegas, 111F weather, up the I-15 grade with the A/C running, 65 MPH, the temp needle just barely rose a needle-width over it's  typical low-normal. That's as hot as the engine has ever run (whatever temp it was, thermostat is 195F).

I've used four aluminum rads in the last two years; two cross-flow "ford type" that come without any mounts at all (roadster, 60 American), one Champion, and one AMC aluminum rad from eBay, $140.

The Champion is made from heavy 1/8" plate. Brick s**house construction. Not one bit of shoddy, superb. Perfect drop-in.

The two crossflows required mounts fabricated. I used floating mil-aircraft-surplus silicone foam. Not applicable here, but thinner than the Champ but fine quality. I did buy a second, from Speedway.

The eBay aluminum I bought for the '60 American, but it's too tall, the outlet hits the front motor mount. Would work in the '68 no problem. It is well made, but noticably thinner metal than the Champion. THe champ is far better, but $250 or more vs. $140 for the D & D Racing or whatever eBay. Lots of people here on the forum have used it, which is why I bought it. I buy them again. Gonna sell it locally to a friend.

Edited by tomj - Aug/04/2021 at 12:02am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

lostcause View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostcause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 9:47am
Thanks for all the input guys. I definitely want to go with a new radiator. The car is for my non-mechanical brother who lives 1200 miles away so I want it to be as bulletproof as possible. Here are my options:

1. New metal from Galvin's or US radiator, $450 plus shipping.

2. I looked into the Champion. I've heard bad things about aluminum radiators but it sounds like you guys have had good luck with them. The problem is space. It's 23" high, stock is 20". With the hood closed I measured 22" from hood to bottom of core support so it would stick out 1" on the bottom, not good. The only one that my fit is a late 60's Mopar A or B-body with 22"core. EC2375 $180
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 12:16am
Yeah, the '64 is a different beast, a lot of changes were made in the radiator area in the next few years, so it's not a surprise that the Champ won't fit.. Sounds like you're doing good homework.

Someone suggested to me that one of the above suppliers is worth a call, they may be able to make one of their radiators but simply shortened in one dimension (similar problem in my '60 American).
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 8:20am
My 66 American 4.0 has a 1994 Nissan Maxima radiator and fan assembly. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic