TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rack @ pinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elec1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rack @ pinion
    Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 8:01pm
i have a 1959 american and would like to put rack @ pinion on it any help would be good 
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2022 at 6:58am
May I ask why?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 1:55pm
I converted my 63 Classic to rack and pinion, just to do it. I WOULD NOT do it again! A lot of work, and it's just not worth it. The American is a narrower chassis and would be even harder. It can be done, but the steering arms need to be shorter for a rack and that would be difficult on the little American due to the outer tie rod end placement. I put disc brakes on my 63 American (virtually the same chassis). I'm pretty sure the tie rod ends were right at the edge of the brake rotors. They sit just inside the 15" steel wheel on these cars, between the brake drum and wheel. You can't even run a lot of alloy wheels because they are too thick and scrub the tie rod ends on turns.

If you simply MUST have a rack an pinion on one of these, you would probably be better off to convert to a Mustang II style suspension. That's a whole LOT of work and expense. IIRC FatMan has built some crossmembers for people with the 50-55 Nash Rambler and 58-63 Rambler Americans (all use the same chassis, just minor differences).
Frank Swygert
elec1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elec1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 7:39am
thanks alot for the info i will take look at every thing , the reason im looking at changing
to a rack system is im having a hard time finding parts the rebild
the old one ,thanks for the help and wizdom

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 7:09am
I'd switch to a Vega/Saginaw or similar steering box first, if the steering box itself is the problem. That will take a bit of work, but not as much as changing to a rack and pinion. If you just put a R&P on with the standard length steering arms it will turn like a bus! I tried that first. Must have shorter steering arms, and can't really do that with the 58-63 American without messing up the Ackerman angle -- which you must have.

What parts are you having a hard time finding? If you have the tube style drag link just tighten it down! The springs lose some tension over the yeas, and they were made for rough rural roads in the 50s, when there were few places you could drive much over 50 mph. I just tighten the ends down/ leaving the springs in there for s slight cushion. Keep it greased (every 20K miles/once a year, like the rest of the suspension) and you won't have a problem. If the end caps go in too far you might want to use some washers as spacers between the spring and cup that goes against the tie rod end ball.

See https://www.ramblerlore.com/AMC/index.html for a lot more info. TomJ and I have both worked on and discussed/shared our findings about this chassis a lot! He's documented everything on his site (the link). There is a very detailed article on rebuilding the stock Gemmer steering box.
Frank Swygert
elec1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elec1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 1:23pm
thanks for the info
laverda1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laverda1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2022 at 5:58pm
This topic kinda relates to ongoing issues I'm having trying to find tie rod ends for my 62 American convertible, with power steering. I can find outers, but no dice on inner ends, which has me pondering a suspension change if I can't get parts. But really, I don't want to go to that trouble. I still need to rebuild the auto box ... Anyway, anyone have any ideas/leads on tie rod ends?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 12:07am
Outer: especially for earliest years, AMC actually installed, at random, left/left thread rod ends, or left/right. I was baffled by the lack of solid info, them I found a 1959 Moog catalog that emphasizes this! Most though sre left/left. Part number is in my parts list. However, new replacements are scarce. Probably eBay and 50 bucks. Grease em and they'll last 25 to 50 years. 

Inner: those are NOT WEAR PARTS.  Just reuse them. If they're ruined you'll have to find used ones. 

The steering link on these cars is very odd. Later cars, it's just a forged rod with holes for rod ends. This one's hollow with s dozen parts. 

Just take it apart and clean it and relube.  And adjust accordingly to the TSM which leaves on a bit of play. If you remove all play the steering gets weird. That makes no sense, but it's like it is for a reason. 

Odd little cars they are...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 6:45am
A major problem with rack-and-pinion conversions is geometry.  If you do not use a unit that places the inner tie rod joints in the proper location, bump steer can become dangerous.

This means you need to find a unit that has the proper joint-to-joint width and that the rack can be placed at the proper height and longitudinal position.
laverda1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laverda1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 1:04pm
Well, on my '62 American with power steering the inners are certainly wear parts. They are regular tie rod ends, tapered ball and socket with grease fittings. And they are completely worn out. And the only option I've found so far are very old stock from Galvins, part #320 2650 and 320 2651; 
https://www.ramblerparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=6016
https://www.ramblerparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=6017
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic