TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R.I.P. Larry G. Mitchell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Eddie Eddie wrote:

I know this is old news, but I'm just hearing  of Larry and Linda Mitchell's passing. Wow, where has the time gone. I met the both of them at their house in Wisconsin, I believe in the early 70's. Time sure has erased so much when one doesn't follow. I and another friend, remained friends with Larry up until 1981 when I stopped attending the AMX club meets in Wisconsin. I will never have a harsh word towards Larry, as we always had such good conversations together. I know some people just can't seem to forgive others mistakes, and I'm not saying he or I for the matter, have made mistakes. Seems we all at one time or another have made bad choices, I'm so glad my G*d forgives. I will always remember a ride in Larry's Red Rocket, as he called his Rambler American convertible. Many good memories back in those days so sorry to hear that he is gone. A few years ago I finally sold my 1968 AMX that I had bought new, with the 343 Go Package, auto, and dealer installed, 3.73 rear gears. I'm still keeping my original 1973 Jav AMX, 401 with speed manual. Ordered with 3.91 rear gears and replaced the intake with the rare Rebel machine intake. Once again, R.I.P. my friend Larry Mitchell.
I took a ride with him in that convertible in Kenosha around 1980 or so.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 5:46pm
Why is GOD asterisked?  I have to laugh.....Back in '85 I bought a castillion grey amx from Larry when I was in the marines in south Texas.  390, 4 Spd, leather, a/c, it was Chris Chapin's car, son of BOD Chapin of amc or whatever his position was.  Anywayz, it was a decent, loaded car that Larry was good enough to drive from Co to Tx for just expenses......Price was slightly high but I was paying for personalized service so I was ok with it.  "Larry, does everything work, especially the a/c 'cause I have never seen the a/c work in any amc I have ever had......"  "Oh yea.....it's perfect."  Larry comes to my house and the deal was I had to take him to the airport for his trip home.  He just had a small tote bag and when he got in the amx and I drove him to the airport I saw a can of freon and a hose in his bag and I just had to laugh to myself. He had to stop a block from my house and do a recharge before it crapped out.  By the drive home I had both windows open 'cause the freon was gone and I needed the airflow to keep from cooking to death...........Oh Larry.......no hard feelings......

Edited by turbo - Jan/05/2020 at 6:01pm
they call me Capt RETIRED!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Why is GOD asterisked?  

Might be something like this.

https://www.learnreligions.com/jewish-spelling-of-god-2076772
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 6:19pm
When we're talking old cars such things like leaking AC units can be expected. If you want nearly perfect go buy a new car. RIP Larry. Now I will say this. A few months ago I looked at a red 69 390 AMX that Larry restored. Engine compartment was done, and I mean really nice. Amc Pacer rims and a Pacer steering wheel sealed the non deal for me.

Edited by Red1975pacer - Jan/05/2020 at 6:36pm
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Red1975pacer Red1975pacer wrote:

When we're talking old cars such things like leaking AC units can be expected. If you want nearly perfect go buy a new car. RIP Larry
You're not getting it sonny.......chill out. CACI member #396 circa 1975

Edited by turbo - Jan/05/2020 at 6:49pm
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 6:38pm
Chill out by opening the windows? Buyer Beware.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 8:52pm
I've said this before and I will say it again.......Like him or not, Larry has done more for the promotion of the classic amx than any other person has or will.  He devoted his entire life to the promotion of the car and his newsletter was second to NONE.  He was an amc zealot!
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Why is GOD asterisked?  

Might be something like this.

https://www.learnreligions.com/jewish-spelling-of-god-2076772

Precisely.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
prototypefan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote prototypefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 3:43pm
I had some questions on a couple cars for Larry so I called him up a few years ago and he invited me to his home in UT.

Call him a Carmudgeon or not......Larry left a legacy in the AMC community.

Rest in peace

Godspeed Larry
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 7:01pm
I knew Larry in the old days when cars and parts were plentiful
I  bought a pair a solid axels off of him and had great conversations 
Did not know him well but I knew him and his red rocket before he sold it , like any of us we just tried to enjoy a orphan car hobby , that set us apart from the others , solace in our sorrows with the hobby parts ,restoration ,value ,we always have taken a back seat to the other cars , and some of us were quirky but we fit in , its a changing world as said earlier us old timers are either once was or shortly to be forgotten but we all have made a mark some more memorable and colorful than others 
Our cars will out live us and maybe just maybe a part of us go on in them 
Rip 

Edited by amx007 - Jan/08/2020 at 7:05pm
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic