TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R.I.P. Larry G. Mitchell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 12:11pm
I should add that Larry was NOT ejected from the Jeep!  He and Linda stayed inside! 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 12:26pm
There was an accident last month on Pirate 4x4 where a member also died as a result of sliding off the road while not wearing a belt.

Sad to see this happen to anyone, and a sad reminder to all of us.

Rest In Peace Mr Mitchell.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
70amxpaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 5:41pm
Very SAD day in AMC world, Larry gave so much to the sport. I had several dealing with him over the many years, he was a great guy and always wanted the best for AMC members and their cars...

Rest in Peace Larry, sorry to hear you are gone.... Linda get well quick......
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles
cscpub View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cscpub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 1:56pm
Sorry to hear of his passing in such a way. At least he was enjoying himslf at the time. Sorry for wife Linda's passing as well.
Larry had Great Knowledge of American Motors. It was a shame that he was so bitter and behaved in the way he did at least in the 90's, after that I didn't have anything to do with him. 
I do hope he rests in peace.

Edited by cscpub - Nov/08/2018 at 2:41pm
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 9:44am
Wow, sorry to hear that both Larry and Linda have died. I know some people have issues with him, but he started the AMX club/hobby and put out a great newsletter for many years (although it wasn't much at the very end) when AMO was a joke (sorry, but it was in the 1980s) . Before the internet you could call him and he'd answer technical questions. I met Larry a few times over the years...
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 8:03pm
Love him or hate him Larry was one of a kind. It's a true shame that he disconnected himself from the AMC hobby in the last 10 years or so. So much AMC knowledge went to the grave with him. We should cherish Tom Benvie, Ross Peterson, Larry Daum, Pat Whiteside and those whose names I've lost from memory who are still with us that go back to the beginnings of the AMX and AMC hobby. Not many of us old timers left !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ronte View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 10:50am
I do miss both of the Mitchell's!  Met them at the 1975 AMX/Nash meet in Kenosha. Was a member of the AMX Club from that point on! 
Larry did come to many of our Southern Nevada AMC meets held in early November.  He must have made the last seven or eight of them. 
AMX09652 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMX09652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 11:53am
I'm thankful for the help that he provided to me.  I too recall calling and writing him pre-internet with questions and he was always willing to spend time talking with me.  His old AMX-tras were classic....I couldn't wait for them to show up in my mail box. 

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

"Deep in the heart of Texas"

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 1:21pm
Heck, my mom used to read them first before I even got home!  Kept all of them since 1975.....gone now.  Used to love the classifieds on the back page.  You could buy the best amx out there for $3500
they call me Capt RETIRED!
Eddie View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2020 at 5:43pm
I know this is old news, but I'm just hearing  of Larry and Linda Mitchell's passing. Wow, where has the time gone. I met the both of them at their house in Wisconsin, I believe in the early 70's. Time sure has erased so much when one doesn't follow. I and another friend, remained friends with Larry up until 1981 when I stopped attending the AMX club meets in Wisconsin. I will never have a harsh word towards Larry, as we always had such good conversations together. I know some people just can't seem to forgive others mistakes, and I'm not saying he or I for the matter, have made mistakes. Seems we all at one time or another have made bad choices, I'm so glad my G*d forgives. I will always remember a ride in Larry's Red Rocket, as he called his Rambler American convertible. Many good memories back in those days so sorry to hear that he is gone. A few years ago I finally sold my 1968 AMX that I had bought new, with the 343 Go Package, auto, and dealer installed, 3.73 rear gears. I'm still keeping my original 1973 Jav AMX, 401 with speed manual. Ordered with 3.91 rear gears and replaced the intake with the rare Rebel machine intake. Once again, R.I.P. my friend Larry Mitchell.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic