TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R.I.P. Larry G. Mitchell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Larry G. Mitchell
    Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:12pm
This is some very sad news.

Noted AMC aficionado, author and historian Larry G. Mitchell passed away Sept. 22nd near Flagstaff, AZ. He and his wife were involved in a very bad rollover car crash that ejected Larry from the car.

His wife Linda has sustained injuries but is expected to recover. Hopefully she has a quick recovery.

Deepest condolences go out to Linda, the Mitchell family, and any friends or fans who knew Larry or his work. The AMC world has lost an absolute treasure.

Larry will always live on in our hearts and be remembered for his kind heart and the amazing AMC books he gave us. I never got a chance to meet him, but love his books and have heard nothing but good things from many AMCers. A monumental loss indeed...

Rest in Peace Larry.

Edited by Devilboy - Sep/24/2018 at 12:23pm
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:23pm
Very sorry to see this. Larry was a great AMCer and an asset to the hobby. If his stepson Chad, is a member here, please convey our sincere sympathy to your mom-from the whole AMC hobby.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:25pm
My condolences to family and friends
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
azfletch View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote azfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 10:03am
I am sorry to hear of this accident.  Larry has been a part of the AMC community for a long long time.  My condolences to the family and all of Larry's friends.  Praying for Linda and a speedy recovery.
Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.
ronte View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ronte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 10:08am
I'm sorry to hear of the accident.  Larry & Linda are like family to me.  Saw them often.  Get well Linda, RIP Larry! 
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 10:13am
This indeed is tragic news.

Larry definitely helped spearhead many things in the AMC car hobby, through his drive, spirit and talents.

My heart felt sympathies to Linda, surviving family and friends alike.

Praying for Lindas recovery as well.

The hobby lost a giant, whose shoes will likely not be filled again.

Farwell friend....

Rich and Nancy Corsello
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 11:34am
I am sorry to hear this. My condolences to family and friends.
Mike
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 11:36am
Terrible news...

Best wishes to Linda for a speedy recovery and RIP to Larry. 
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 11:40am
OH NO!   I can't believe this.......Larry was the formative person in the promotion of the AMX.....He has done more to promote the marque that any other individual.  RIP old friend.   Turbo CACI #396
they call me Capt RETIRED!
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 12:08pm
The accident occurred in Flagstaff, Az. Larry and Linda are very dear friends and this is a terrible loss. I just spoke to Gary Carlson, one of Larry's lifelong friends and a co founder with Larry of CACI. It's my understanding that Linda is in a hospital in Flagstaff and may not be conscious. I'll post more information as it becomes known.

Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic