TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Question 71-74 V8 Long tube headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 10:18am
I've run Hedmans on my 72 Jav.  They hang horribly low.  When I can afford the ARH's, that will be the way I go.

Cheers,
Billy
72SSTJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72SSTJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by RandyB RandyB wrote:

Have you looked yes i ha
at Hedman headers?

Yes I have, I also talked to a couple of guys down at Cecil County Fray strip who were running the Hooker Super Comp headers. One took them off because of fit issues on the heads and went with a custom made set. The other guy ended up running to sets of header gaskets and still has leak issues. In fact he carries extra sets of gaskets in his trailer...
Plus the Hookers are still priced at $1085.....
72 SST Javelin, Sparkling Burgundy, 401, Auto trans, PS, Disk Brakes, 16" Wheels and Tires, 21/4" exhaust, Flow master 44's
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72SSTJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Bucks AMX Bucks AMX wrote:

Have Dougs long tube ceramic headers for 7 years, no peeling, etc. Stock starter no issues what-so ever, Remflex header gaskets and ARP header bolts. No issues with bolts loosening, etc. Very happy with this setup. 1970 AMX 390 4 spd.

Was just over on the Jegs website. There are two sizes for the Javelin Long Tube Headers. First: 13/4" tubes with 3" collectors. Second: Is 17/8" tubes with 3.5" collectors. Both are ceramic coated.
Do you know what set you are running ? Also any issues with fit on the heads or clearance (hanging to low under car)
Price is about $800 for a set...

Edited by 72SSTJavelin - Aug/06/2021 at 6:44am
72 SST Javelin, Sparkling Burgundy, 401, Auto trans, PS, Disk Brakes, 16" Wheels and Tires, 21/4" exhaust, Flow master 44's
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 12:41pm
I had Hedman headers on my '74 Javelin.   Replaced with Hooker 7103s.   The 7103s made more power, by the "butt dyno".  The $1000 ones are coated.  Not sure if they offer non-coated ones anymore?   Both hang below the engine crossmember, the 7103s a bit worse due to bigger tubes and collector.  Change collector flange if you want better clearance.  Both needed some work on ports for nicer match, clearancing on flange for head bolts and plug access - more on the Hookers, but haven't had sealing issues.  To me, both fit okay, but are 20+ years old.  If you trial fit them to a head before fitting in the car, and follow Hooker instructions to trim the DS engine mount and unbolt the engine for install, not horrible to do.  Not sure about current quality?   Never hit anything with either, but my car isn't lowered and springs and shocks aren't dead.

Considered the ARH.  From pictures, they have maybe an inch more ground clearance, don't need modifications to bolt-on, less work to R&R.   Haven't seen confirmation that they work with Indy SRs slightly raised exhaust port or with an Armando road race pan.  Expensive, but that's the price of quality.   

Long tubes are hard to package tight without surgery.  If you want something that fits and works with no headaches, use stock free-flows.   Lose some of the cool-factor, but if you're not racing and just a street car, a lot less headache and much more budget friendly.  Get them coated if you want them to look nice.   Also, don't cook adjacent parts, more friendly for emissions (if you have an air pump, fewer UBHCs so less smelly exhaust), works with stock air cleaner pre-heat for those cold days and less engine bay heat.

Hope this helps, RD
Bucks AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 2:51pm
13/4 3” collectors, bottom of tubes is roughly 1” below crossmember. No issues with spark plugs on stock heads. Need slight  clearance cuts on Edelbrock heads.
1970 AMX 390 4spd Golden Lime
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72SSTJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 8:06pm
Red Devil,
Would you have more info on the AMC free flow exhaust manifolds, like part number, years available, or images ?
I think this is the second time I have heard of them. I am fairly new to the AMC family and I am still on a learning curve.....
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 9:14pm
Free-flows are basically a stock shorty-style cast header.  Flow better than log manifolds.   Your '72 Javelin should have had them stock.   Early versions are without ports for smog tubes for an air pump and later ones have them and don't flow quite as well, but can plug them and blend the ports for better flow.  Can also enlarge the exit for 2 1/2" vs stock 2 1/4" pipes.  But these days, keeping emissions parts working isn't necessarily a bad plan - especially if primarily a cruiser.

Remember seeing dyno comparison of stock free-flows vs Edelbrock / Patriot shorties vs. Hedman 1 5/8" long tubes.   IIRC, blending on the free flows got about same power and torque as the shorties.  The Hedmans made noticeably more torque and power.   My engine liked the 1 7/8" Hookers better, but each combo needs to be considered. 

Depends on your goals, budget and expectations as to what is best.  It's easy to spend someone else's money and recommend the ARH, but might be beyond the budget of most.   Doug's headers also have some reviews if you search.

Hope this helps, RD
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72SSTJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 9:45pm
Red Devil,
Every little bit of information helps, and that's no lie. After reading your post I went out to look at my exhaust manifolds and I am 100% certain I have the Free flows, and I know they are not drilled for smog ports and the engine never had a pump installed......
Again thanks for the info, gives me more to look at and think about.....
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2021 at 12:29am
For what it's worth I ran cast iron manifolds for years on my 64 Fairlane and not because I couldn't afford headers. For an engine that never turned over 5500 rpms I probably wasn't giving up much. I used 69 Mustang 351W, 4-spd manifold which are a nice casting like the AMC free flows. I ported and smoothed them out and was very happy with the results. Sure I gave up a little power above 4500 rpms, but I really doubt you could have ever felt the difference between the manifolds and the headers driving it. Since you already have free flow manifolds and they are correct for your car I would probably be inclined to just do a little light grinding on them and go enjoy the car. Good headers are fun to have, poor quality headers can make for a lot of unpleasant work and headaches. Driving is so much more fun and working on them all the time.

Tom

Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2021 at 7:16pm
i agree with char , they are just like shorty headers no hang down issues and if you grind off the ribs and other things casted on them and either take them and have powder coated or even wraped they look just like shorty headers . They fit very well vs header flanges and wont crack on inside like headers do tube at flange . All round winners !!
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic