Print Page | Close Window

Shop Project

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Tool Tips and fabrication
Forum Description: For tips, hints or "how-to" related to fabricating your own tools. Perhaps a neat home-made or special purpose tool you have come up with (safety first, of course!).
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74342
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 2:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Shop Project
Posted By: billd
Subject: Shop Project
Date Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 7:44am
This isn't really a specifically good place for this, but seemed the best place since it's auto shop related, includes tools, shop equipment and so on. So, here is what's up with my shop all in one place instead of all over different threads.

A bit of a preface or explanation - and "why the #$% is it taking you so bloody long to get this done?" -
I DO have a job, a full-time job away from home. It's a half hour in, half hour back home, which is a short commute really compared to a lot of folks,  but still that takes 1 hour out of each day.
And then I work 9 (NINE) hour days. So just the drive, work, lunch, breaks, it all means time away is roughly 11 hours from the time I leave to the time I get back. Gotta eat, gotta take care of normal stuff - home maintenance, yard work, taking care of Barbara's pool such as it is, damage from chipmunks and ground hogs, you know - stuff. Daily checking of the critter buckets used to catch chipmunks, lately twice daily checks of the conibear traps, fixing this or that, etc.
So it's not like I'm home all day or have 2 full weekend days every week to do this stuff and mostly it's just me with no help.
It's just what time I have outside of life. It's gone a bit better because I've gotten by on 4 or 5 hours of sleep for the last few months to try to get things done but that's gotta stop soon.

Anyway, the shop project:
The original plan was to be an "empty 2/3 of the shop so a company could come in and level the west section of slab which had settled 1" on the west side" and then when that was done "rip up all the concrete approach and have it totally redone properly with drainage and correct slopes and shape" project.
But anyone who has seen inside my shop knows that even that would be major. And it was. To empty just the west section took 6 of us a Saturday to move things up into the garage, and other things packed tightly into the east part of the shop - meaning nothing would be accessible at all save for the woodworking area upstairs and my rolling tool chest with all the hand tools-  sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, you know, the basics. Otherwise no access to parts, test equipment, no ability to solder, turn armatures, it was all packed away or stacked high and deep.
In among the plans to get the shop stuff moved out and over, Mom passed away from her cancer.
I knew that was coming, but still you can't ever prepare. So with all that things get set back a few days. With end of summer the outfits that do concrete leveling were getting booked up and the company I was going with had an opening - right in the middle of everything else. My brother and his family were the ones coming to help move things and Scot said nope, we go on as planned, we will be there, Mom would have wanted it, she didn't like to inconvenience people.

So then Barbara suggests "that floor is really crappy, it's a mess, why not get it cleaned up and have someone come in and finish it properly". We talked about that, how the original Behr 1-part epoxy process I had used when the building was first built hadn't worked out all that well, wasn't standing up well, etc.
I start contacting businesses and people that do that sort of work and wow, they are all booked up for weeks in advance and it required the WHOLE SHOP, north to south, east to west, EVERYTHING that touched the floor was to be removed and the floor swept up good, grease and oil removed, and no water on the floor for at least 2 weeks prior to the process.
I get someone lined up after a lot of digging into company histories, reviews, BBB and so on and get that scheduled.

In the meantime, hey, I've been trying for months to figure out how to finally get my shop lighting issues resolved. I'd planned on new lights, but hadn't decided what yet, or how to get it done. The lights couldn't be reached or accessed with the shop full. This was the chance to get that fixed, too. So I decided on and bought the lights.
Hmm, now what? Rent a lift? Rent scaffolding? That's costly - especially since I had only an hour or two each evening after work, and parts of the weekends to do it.
Solution - put ladder in back of truck, position truck under each light in turn. That's a whole lot of up and down a ladder. And since the MH lights used different boxes on the ceiling - to hold the light and to act as the "ceiling box", it meant it wasn't just pull down old, put up new. I also had to swap some boxes or modify what was there to function as a straight closed ceiling box.
Most of that can be seen in the shop lights thread in the forum, pictures and other details.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/shop-lighting_topic73963_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/shop-lighting_topic73963_page1.html

Got the 3 west lights replaced and up and working, but can't do the east because all the stuff that didn't fit in the garage is in the east part of the shop.
It's just ME, me alone, to move all the rest of the things out of the shop.
Holy#$% where is it going to go? Under the lean-to, tarped, and on the car hauler, tarped. It took DAYS - and more - to get the rest of the things moved out and covered.

Since I work a full-time job, usually 9 hour days plus have a house, yard, wife, and other stuff going on it meant a whole lot of VERY long evenings and nights moving things out. I had shelves over 100" high - I had extended 3 heavy shelving units up. So I wore out my legs on ladders, used my engine hoist, dollies, and so on, whatever means I could think of to get things out.

OK, break is over, gotta pause this for now - will be back to edit, fix, add to, put in photos and so on.
Oh, no, it's not even CLOSE to done, not at all......... nothing is really back in yet. Still can't work on anything.

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Replies:
Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 9:46am
I was partly in your shoes late last year up to this summer. We put our house up for sale so had to do “staging” first. After going to trucking school most of the day I would come home to load the PODS. For some of the big items I had my sons help but most was me only. I started with my car stuff I did not need to work on the project and some house items. Once the house sold I had to pack up the rest of the house. By this time I was working driving a heating oil truck pulling hose, and yes it was winter! So come home from work to pack the house –oh joy!

Then once we moved it was unpack the PODS (3 of them). Well 1 POD had house items that we hired movers to unpack. For the other PODS I unloaded them and it was “where do I put everything in the new garage”? I also did not want to put too much in there as the garage also needed more lighting and power run to it so did not want to move stuff 2 or more times to do needed work in there. Part way thru the “settle in” I got a driving job down here, up at 3am home maybe as late as 9pm. Add to that we needed to buy a tractor to mow the yard and a shed to keep it and yard tools in as they were NOT going in my garage. Got to say once everything is back in “it’s place” in the new garage it is nice.

If not enough my FIL passed away the morning we were doing final walk thru on the old house and driving south.

It will all get better
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 1:57pm
Yeah, you really can relate, for sure!
Slowing the project down were other life events, Barbara's heart procedure yesterday and my having several appointments of my own with various doctors in the continuing quest to find what the $@#% is going on........ maybe.
Anyway here's just a bit more while I have a couple of minutes to add to this -
the lights got finished and I love them. I put the link to that thread in the first post here.
I had the west 3 up and done, then they came in and did the floor finish. I'm really glad we had that done. It weren't cheap by any means, and it's more of an industrial finish than a "garage epoxy" finish, it's the sort used in warehouses, handles forklift traffic and heavy equipment abuse better than epoxy you can buy and apply yourself. It's tricky as heck to apply...... and that leads to another delay. Yeah, they got to the project ok, but we noticed when I got home that Thursday that the surface was very "blotchy" looking and there were some spots where it was more like 80 grit sandpaper. It was tough to even run a broom over and I knew that the peaks of the broadcast material would eventually wear down and become dark, and things wouldn't drag or roll over it well.  So I contacted their VP who said "be there at 9 Friday" and so that meant rearranging work schedule to be there. But the crew's semi-leader looked around and saw right away the problem - and even said he knew what happened, and had a solution  -reapply the top coat without any of the quartz substrate mixed in.
He used a tool and knocked off the high or sharp spots, sort of like sanding a rough board and they proceeded to take care of things. It was a whole lot better after that, but it delayed things by over a day, meaning I wasn't going to be working on the rest of the lighting or finishing the compressed air plumbing.
I had started the air piping 2 or 3 years ago but got stopped as I wasn't able to reach areas I needed to reach with the high shelving in place and they were also in the way to run the pipes as needed. Solution came when the shop had to be emptied out for the other things.
So, level the slab, grind the concrete to knock down the remaining high spots as best as could be done given the severity of the problem, clean out the expansion joints of all dirt and filler I had put in years ago, refinish the floor, finish the lights and finish the compressed air plumbing and the drops for air closer to the north end I'd been waiting at least 2 years to be able to finish. Whew!
The air plumbing took a good week of bits and pieces of evenings and much of what I get out of a weekend.
So here's some photos of the floor, first one is the quartz broadcast - they put sort of an epoxy down that's like a primer but thicker and the quartz is broadcast into that.
Oh, and when I say broadcast, I think they do that from a helicopter or airplane.
I say that because those shelves with the starter and alternator cores - all loaded with quartz sand - in and on all of those starters and alternators, too. I guess things even that high should have been sealed in plastic.
So I spent 2 or 3 more evenings cleaning concrete dust off of everything. No question about where the time was going and why it was taking forever to even think about shelving and cabinets getting in there.
That dust has the atomic qualities of helium - it went clean up the stairs and is also all over everything up there, too - meaning I have another chore this winter before I can use the wood shop - scrub down all the tools and power equipment. I went through a roll of paper towels and a bottle of cleaner, not to mention using my small vac getting rid of that concrete dust on the walls, shelving, pipes and conduit, everything that was left had to be scrubbed down. I went through multiple buckets of mop water cleaning the walls and when I dumped each one there was grit and sand-like material at the bottom. As it was concrete dust, I wore a mask and gloves.
In the one photo you might note where I got clever with a come-along and attached a small chain to the wall up above the stairs and used the come-along to lift the stairs up off the floor so they could go under at least that portion I could raise. Obviously the stairs were bolted to the wall so that part wasn't liftable.

Air compressor back in place. I made a new platform for it so I can more easily drain it and leave a tray under it for catching the water, or when I change the oil in the compressor. 
I tried to get creative with the water fridge - raise it up on a shelf, made space under it. As Barbara said, now I don't have to get down low just to grab a cold water. But, in changing this around I lost the space where the old wood cupboard was that held the air tools, sanders, impacts, etc. so I need to find a place for them now. Great.

I had to raise the horizontal pipe to clear planned cabinets and shelves, but finally got a connection by the door so I don't have to string hose all the way from the compressor through the whole shop to the outside just to air up trailer or car tires.

This cupboard will likely come down and move when I figure out where the heck things are going to go again, but you can see the long run of pipe I had to get in place - and I assembled all of it then put it up to avoid soldering next to the walls.

Here's some of what runs west to supply work area on the west side. Fun getting around things.
The shelves you see started there - I plan on taking a 3rd end piece, cutting it to make 2 36" tall sections and welding that on top of the standard 72" ends and getting taller shelves that way. Yeah, I'll add a couple of braces and likely a plate inside, but it should work out pretty well.
Those shelves will hold the blower motor cores and parts and the wiper motor cores and parts inside plastic bins with lids.

I had a Raid bug spray shelf unit in here before, plan on putting up wall-mounted shelves that I can adjust and run from front to back, leaving room for getting in to the shelves and to hang the brooms, mop, etc. 
What else do you do with the space under the stairs landing in your shop? Turn it into sort of a closet, I guess.

No, I don't normally hang network equipment from the wires but I took down a long yucky shelf where it had set, along with other junk and plan on doing something a lot better and stronger. Here is where one bench may go back in place and where I put the other air drop/connection.

I need to also run a welder outlet here near the electric panel. Plan on a 30 amp circuit and 30 amp 220 outlet. I'll leave the other 50 amp 220 for the oven and stick welder if I need to use it out here. The oven I don't want to put back in this corner but will be limited by the length of the extension cord I have that I can run the oven on. At least I should be able to locate it out of that corner and away from the overhead door.

Just another view - you can see that's between 30 and 35 feet of pipe on the west side just to get to where I wanted the other air connection. That's a whole lot of copper pipe in here now - there's 30' of copper pipe spanning the south wall to get to these runs.

So that's pretty much where things are now - nothing back in place, still need to run welder outlet and redo shelving, still WAITING on the new cabinets to come in, hopefully SOON as I need to get tings back in place here.
When you work all day and there's all these little things to do, cleaning, plumbing, electric, etc. it takes days just to do what you hoped would take hours because you get 1 hour here and there in the evenings.
Geesh, I can't wait for retirement!

More as time permits........ gotta run again for now.

-------------

Posted By: Lucas660
Date Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 7:58pm
If it makes you feel any better, I finished building my dream workshop this year, and broke up with the missus about 3 weeks after I had finished. Now I have no workshop just a storage unit filled from floor to ceiling with my tools and machinery and household goods. In a way I needed a break anyway, and it makes me think about different ways of doing things, like parking 50/50 on the curb to change my oil!!!

Date Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 7:15am
Been there, too - back in the later 1980s. It does make you rethink things. I've started over more times than I care to recall, but each time it seemed that what I built upon the new start ended up being at least as good, if not better, in the end given time. Every step, every event, it's like a ladder and it's up to us to make it the next step up, or a step backward. HAHA, easy to say, not that easy to do when you are in the middle of it.

I'm lucky in a big way with the shop - I have Barbara's support for the most part. Oh, if I proposed something crazy and spent some crazy amount that there just weren't provisions for or a way to cover at some point I'd be working in some rundown doghouse and sleeping under the stars but if there's a plan, if it can be shown that there's a way to cover things, she's there with ideas and suggestions. She's the one that suggested that the floor looked like #$% and it needed to be made safer, easier to clean and to find things. She knows with the ADD and all, if it's not easy to keep clean, or things aren't easily found, or more easily put away, how things end up (but there's other parts she still doesn't get or understand, or maybe it bothers her and she'd rather not, she just puts up with it. What a saint)

Anywho - last night was spent putting up the supports or brackets or whatever you want to call the vertical pieces for the shelves under the landing of the stairs. These are strong beasts meant to carry a heavy load so the upright parts are wider than the typical shelving for the home. So - I had to put in a second 2x4 next to the one that formed part of the opening to that area because the bracket was nearly as wide as the 2x4 stud or upright and I didn't want to chance it. It also allowed for that upright to be more inside that area and not just right out at the edge. I "glued and screwed" it to the stud.  It ain't going anywhere. I then put the 3 brackets or uprights in place with long screws into the studs under the stair landing. Need to figure out what's going there before I actually put the supports into the brackets and space them accordingly.

On the electric side of things......... I had forgotten that when the shop building was wired that I told the electrician originally I wanted an oven outlet there. So he put in a standard MODERN oven outlet.
Uh, but my oven is from the 1980s and matched the pre-1996 code or standard and uses a NEMA 10-50, just like my old welder!
I showed him MY oven cord and said - oh, since it's 50 amps want to use the welder, too - show showed him my welder cord, which by the way IS original to the box, and showed him how the connectors were the same physically and he changed the oulet to match.

OK, this is where it gets sticky and I don't think I'd have gone his direction myself -  the welder cord uses no neutral, the outer prongs are the 2 110 legs while the middle straight prong is ground. old stick welders have no need for 110, but should have a ground.
On the oven the outer two are 110 while the middle is NEUTRAL because the oven uses both 220 and 110 - clock, lights, etc. use the 110. So they use 1 leg of the 220 with the neutral to get the 110v for the light and so on.
Yeah, they'll use the same outlet fine. But this is the part that sort of bugged me -
He wired the middle prong to ground - fine for the welder but it meant that the oven which needed a 125/220 was using the middle prong which was connected to the ground bus in the box for neutral, making the ground circuit out there have some potential instead of being pure true ground with no potential at all.
The oven worked, even the 110 parts worked fine because they found neutral through the ground since back at the house where the power is sourced the ground and neutral are bonded in the box.
I guess it was ok, heck it worked great for years, and unless there's a problem elsewhere it wouldn't cause problems....... but I found that wire he used from the outlet into the box for ground wasn't tight in the bus, either. I could have easily, and did, get another half turn on the clamping screw. I'm running that 3rd middle wire to the neutral. That way ground is still always ground with no potential and as the earlier codes assumed, the chances of a fault in a device with such very large wires, etc. are very slim so it was fine to rig an oven with no ground at all.
OK, new welders, MIG, for example, have very low current draw on the 220 units. Rated at something like 20 amps for a MIG 190. But they equip them with a 50 amp plug end -
a NEMA 60-50!
A 6-30 would easily do as a welder pulling a max of 20 amps at full load would run nicely on a 30 amp circuit but I assume it's because they assume most production shops will not be wired with 6-30 outlets but are more likely to have 6-50 so the circuit would handle larger welders up to 50 amp. So a 220 welder that only draws a max of 20 amps and that could live easily on a 30 amp circuit has a plug or cord for a 50 amp circuit.
My solution - get that other outlet fixed up nicer for the oven - a 50 amp 125/220 and put up a dedicated welder outlet with a NEMA 6-30 outlet, 30 amp 220 breaker in the box, bingo.
Yeah, but I said the welder has a 6-50 cord/plug. How will I plug a 6-50 plug on a MIG into a 6-30 welder outlet?
Solution - extension cord with a receptacle on one end for the welder's 6-50 plug and a plug on the other end to go into the new 6-30 outlet.
And the neat thing about welder wiring IF you do it as a dedicated welder circuit, the code allows you to undersize the wiring due to duty cycle and type of use. I won't have to use huge costly wire. 12 will easily supply a MIG
I happened to have brought some heavy cord and wire with me when I sold off stuff at the farm. I had a huge extension cord I used with a 220v electric auger I build and have cut the length down on that and am adding the proper ends.
I HOPE to have the welder functional by the end of the night, meaning both outlets wired - the original oven/stick welder outlet rewired and the new dedicated 30 amp welder outlet added and wired properly, and the extension cord all finished up.
Then I can make my shelving units taller using steel and not wood like I did with the others.
One of the original heavy racks/shelves will go under the lean-to along the outer shop wall to hold things I don't NEED to keep inside, the transfer cases, transmissions, etc., which could sit out there since they'd stay dry anyway, under roof, just not climate controlled.

The bad - the new storage I bought, cabinets, cupboards, etc - TWO BLOODY WEEKS I gotta wait.
That's going to set things back a bit there, but on the other hand, as long as it's going to take to get other things back in, maybe it won't be all that bad. There's no way now I can get back in and all setup by mid-November anyway. It just ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 10:58am
Finally a little more progress, at least enough to "talk about". And since Barbara's heart procedure, she's been feeling a whole lot better and helped me with a couple of things. And her advice has been priceless.
She was really happy to see I was NOT putting the oven back in the corner by the breaker panel and other electric, network, etc. She asked what I intended and I said I'd love to put it on wheels and keep it under the stairs when not in use, or at least someplace out of the way but because the only outlet that could handle it was next to the breaker box I'd have to roll it back at least to within 10 feet of that outlet to use it (what a pain) as there wasn't any outlet otherwise. She asked what it would take to put one by the stairs - I laughed and said "a whole lot of money - that much copper and the conduit won't be cheap at all". She said I needed to try to save and get that done.
I got one of the new shelf "racks" up and assembled and she asked what I was going to put there - I told her wiper motors, other to be determined. She crawled into the garage addition where the wipers had been stashed by my brother and his family and we got those dug out and put on shelves. Wow, the first items are back in the shop and put away! Too bad I either don't know where some of the other things are, or some things I do know the location of are waaaay back to where we can't get to them without a whole lot of digging and time, and untarping everything.

I had built wood extensions for my other shelving units or racks as the 72" height of normal shelving is just too short and restrictive, so I added about 30" to the top of each. Clumsy, ugly and not adjustable but it helped a LOT since I have limited perimeter and floor space but have 15' ceilings. And since my plan was to utilize at least 1 of the original heavy units under the lean-to to hold transfer cases and other items that needed shelter but not climate control and it was being replaced by new, the wood extension wouldn't work on the new units. The originals I have are no longer made or sold.
Plan was to take 1 of the 3 grey units for under the lean-to, use 1 back in the SW corner it came from, and use the 3rd for parts to extend 1 of them upward.
I took one of the end pieces, cut it in half horizontally, and welded each half to the top of 2 other ends, extending them up from 72" tall to 108" tall. since the grey ones had a brace exactly at the 36" spot where I wanted to cut I had to slice that brace out, make the cut to the end, put the brace back on one of halves, but the other half wouldn't need it once it was welded to the top of one of the other end pieces.
I did the same for one of the new shelving units, the 17" deep unit. I bought 3 uprights, cut one horizontally at 36" and welded it to the top of the other two uprights, extending it from 72" tall to 108" tall. After cutting the one upright I had to brace the new top end of that upright since the brace stayed with the other half.
The other larger units already had uprights or ends available in 96" tall so I just went that route with those 24" deep units.

Why not save a ton of time and just put everything back in where it came from?
One reason was that some of what came out didn't really have a place, it was just sort of in there. And it was impossible to find things, it was easy to trip over things just laying without a place to put them, so I can do it better - since before it was just bring in whatever shelves I could find to salvage or were on sale, or whatever. A mis-matched hodge-podge of stuff stuffed in with no real plan, and a whole lot of wasted space.
Plus - I had to make more space available for my ultimate goal and plan - getting set up for real shop work in about 16 months.   I had agreed to buy out the shop equipment of a friend who used to do performance engine work but who has a heart issue, and of course, isn't getting younger, and he can't do the heavy work. He is concentrating on his performance ignition systems, magnetos and so on, which is really does better than anyone else. I had last spring agreed to buy Art's equipment and it's time to follow-through. I took Friday off from work and picked up the first truck load. Not a lot in quantity, but it had the truck sitting down just a bit and it road like a Lincoln Town Car on the way home. He's got nice stuff that's been extremely well cared for. Even his older stuff usually looks like brand new. He even mops his shop floor and every year touched up the paint on the floor...... It's always nicely swept and his benches neat and clean. He knows were everything is.

Anyway, here's the progress, and the first of the equipment - more to come as I get money to pay him.

Two of the uprights or ends, from my original shelving - 72" tall.

One of the uprights cut in half with the brace already relocated and welded back into place. This will be the top of the end so it really needed this brace.

Here it's been welded to the top of a full upright. Don't look TOO close, my welding isn't pretty, been a while and MIG is different.... and the stock is thin.

The uprights with the extensions standing roughly where they would end up.

NEW shelving I also extended using the same method. Wiper motors, etc. will go here.

These are new shelves that will replace the 24 deep by 48" wide x 72" tall gray ones I had extended using lumber a while back.
These are 96" tall so I doubt I'll extend them, at least for now.

The wood cupboard will likely "go" and be replaced by some sort of matching steel cupboard.

Barbara dug out the wiper motors and carried them down to the shop for me - blower motors will go here and when I get deep enough into the garage where I can get them dug out this is likely where the bins that hold starters and alternators to be restored for others will be kept so they will be orderly, clean, numbered, etc. I do that now but they are under the bench and not as accessibly or easy to organize in any sort of order. These tubs fit perfectly on these shelves.

There will be shelves here under the stairs landing, adjustable to save space.

This ladder will likely move and the oven will hopefully be put here, at least stowed here and moved to the outlet on the other side of the shop until I get the outlet wired in then it will likely stay in this area.

Not now, not this round, but hopefully by spring, these shelves on the wall will come down and that will be redone, too. It's a mix of 3 different shelve installed at 3 different times and done using scraps of this and that.

OK, now for the "new equipment" I need to make space for -

This stuff goes with the above - some brand new like a new 4-jaw chuck and many other new/never been used things.

Some of these are new, never been cut.

And finally -

-------------

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 11:34am
Don't know there Bill. We just may have to hire you out to organize AMC shops all over the country. 

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 12:07pm
HAHA - let's see how this all turns out first!
Man I can't WAIT for the 16 months to pass, finally get back to my roots and training and what I really like.
I always figured if you weren't commenting about it being really bad, it must be ok since you put out quality stuff.
I was really happy that Art waited on me to get a few bucks as we'd talked almost a year ago now and I know he's had others interested in his stuff but he has waited. The money is coming slow and you know what some of that GOOD old equipment is worth to anyone who appreciates it and knows how to use it. That's a Cadillac valve setup there, and it's in excellent shape with a number of new accessories and stones, including reamers, etc.

I finally got tired of tripping over things, spending 15 minutes looking for something that I really needed to get a job done, but only needed for 1 minute - plus there's a big health reason for keeping things cleaner.
My wife hated it, I hated it, time to finally fix it since everything was already out of the shop.
But I'm running into a whole lot more time and more waiting for some things than I had planned on so we decided I have to get things put together as much as possible to get back to the alternator/starter/wiper restoration and the rest will just have to be done as I get time in between things, but I know Art is also rather anxious to move forward, too - He recently asked "how much of this stuff do you want". LOL - all I can afford if he can wait until I can pay. I said I wasn't taking anything until I could pay for it.
I think next might be the boring bar and Sunnen rod reconditioning equipment.
I need to find a decent stand (on casters of course!) to put the valve grinder on - hopefully with storage below for the accessories and seat tools. We talked the other day and both of us prefer things be on wheels, easier to CLEAN things, and makes it easier to store what's not being used that day.

Hey, pit crew -  if you have any tips or ideas, I'm listening!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Don't look at me. I am at that age where I spend 5 minutes looking for the screwdriver I just had in my hand. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Don't look at me. I am at that age where I spend 5 minutes looking for the screwdriver I just had in my hand. LOL

Age? I've always done that. Mom used to call me the absent-minded professor.
One of my favorite bosses, a guy I worked for in the late 70s/early 80s, did towing along with his shop. He got a wrecker call and came into the shop asking us if we'd seen his hat - he'd been looking for it. It was hard but we contained ourselves and all said no. He said are you sure? Nope, sorry, haven't seen it, not sure where you left it.
He walked out and a few seconds later came back in "you horses' #$$&$"
and went out on his call.   Yeah, it had been on his head the whole time. 
By the way, one of the first things I did in my wood shop upstairs - yeah, put a hook for my hat on the wall next to the stairs - and a shelf for my gloves.
As I go toward the stairs to go downstairs, I'm looking right at them as I leave.

-------------

Posted By: S Curry
Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 2:29pm
You have picked up some nice stuff! Shop looks really good. I do like doors and drawers. Hides the clutter. Caveman invented the wheel. Put it to use.

-------------
SC

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 6:49pm
Looks great Bill. I hope you have inventoried everything and insured it? One of my tech's just about lost everything because he didn't.

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Date Posted: Nov/09/2015 at 7:23am
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

Looks great Bill. I hope you have inventoried everything and insured it? One of my tech's just about lost everything because he didn't.

No and yes. Sort of......... but your post is a good reminder to check with my agent and see what he has on file as far as the last communication about my tools, etc.
For Barbara's quilting area we have a lot of photos on file - due to the immense amount of fabric and hundreds of spools of thread she has, it was about the only way to do it without spending days, literally. We have photos of all of her sewing machines, embroidery machine, quilting machine with serial numbers.

It was suggested, maybe by my brother a while back since he used to be in the insurance industry before he started his own business, that I get a video of the shop - walk around and video the whole building contents and zoom in on the model and serial numbers of the larger items, but get enough to show "quantity" of things that I have in number.

I contacted Kwik-Way (still in business, by the way, but they have sold the valve seat portion of their business to a performance equipment outfit in MN which sort of makes one feel good about the valve equipment just bought because the line will continue and stuff can still be bought and it didn't go to some foreign outfit!) and I can still get reprints of the original manuals and they told me based on the serial number the valve machine itself was a 1969 model. I'd say for 45 year old machine it sure looks darned nice! But Art took extremely good care of his stuff. You'd swear he had a maid come in every week and clean the place. Anyway, I can still get the manuals and the consumables are available for the machine but not parts themselves. For the seat equipment they said that although the patents/rights, etc. were sold for the seat tools and accessories, the company that bought the rights and equipment was keeping it going and the model is still current and all parts are still available for that, including the stones, accessories, etc. Cool.

Well the apples are finally all done. I have no idea how many dozens I peeled and sliced while Barbara made pies, sauce, apple brownies/bars and so on but it was taking about 5 hours each weekend at least. Except for a half dozen saved back for eating, I'm done with that major chore so can again concentrate on the shop (well, sort of, there's still the issue of the promised wood floors and closet remakes that didn't get done last winter and that is now being hinted at again!)

Except for some additional shelves for the cabinets and the track and hangers for same, the bulk of the stuff is here. I've been cutting 1-by and 2-by stock and scraps to put in the racks to make shelves and got one of the tall extended units done and put in place and have a couple of transmissions and a block on it already. Had to move those so I could get to some other stuff stashed in the lean-to.
That's the killer, have to move some things before I can get to the things I REALLY want to get to.
I'm trying to get to my plating supplies and chemicals before the temps really dip - and then get to the alternator tools and parts, of course they are buried in the center of all the piles of stuff in the garage and under the lean-to. I'm about to the point of clearing a bunch of floor space in the shop and just starting to bring things in but I have had to keep the floor clear to have room to build the shelving/racks and cabinets and maneuver the gantry crane and engine hoist around to lift things. With the shelving and cabinets almost built maybe I can move enough things in to get to the stuff I really need to get back to the starter/alternator restoration.
The work benches are pretty much dead center in the piles of stuff so until I can get even 1 of those in, not much can be done. And I want the solvent tank in soon so it won't be 30 degrees while I try to clean parts. Brrrrr.

No use handling the heavy stuff twice so as I moved the transmissions and block out of the way I just left them on the 2 wheel cart and shelved them.
The weight was almost too much for my 2 wheel car or dolly, a home-owner version not intended for more than 50 pounds I'm sure as the wheels barely turned and the bottom plate was bending a bit. I had to get creative and ran 2 chains from the transmissions and block up to the car handle on each side to lift up on the front of each while I pulled the cart handle back to get things lifted and moving. That little 2 wheel cart came originally with plain bushing for bearing wheels about the size of a small lawn mower wheel. At least they were steel and not plastic like most lawn mower wheels today. Dad gave me a pair of pneumatic tires and wheels to put on the cart - nice, but you now have to use a wood block to space things forward or the tires rub. I had the tires nearly flat bringing in the transmissions and block - and that's one at a time!

I think there's still room for a 258 head or two between the block and transmission. I have another 258 short block but that will likely go onto another rack.

Valve grinder off the floor and onto a stand. The seat tools are on a shelf inside the cabinet. This was about the right size. I added the casters myself as these don't come with casters standard and their "caster kits" from the same company are priced crazy as heck.

Another shot of valve machine and stand where
a - is a big jug of the water soluble oil for the valve machine and the Sunnen rod reconditioner.
b - wiper motors/wiper motor cores
c - storage area or little closet, under the landing for the stairs going to the wood shop upstairs.

Working on another rack for tubs of "stuff", AMC parts, etc. It takes a lot of wood to form the shelves if you don't want to spring for their wire shelving parts or the particle board shelves you can buy from them. I've got more weight than those would bear.

East well where 'a' is a new cabinet - have two of those, this one will likely be wall mounted to make it easier to keep the floor clean, and to maybe stow stands or a jack under the cabinet Waiting for the parts to arrive for that - and additional shelves for in the cabinet. The only come with 3 which is sort of stupid.
'b' is existing cabinet but will likely relocate it, maybe. Not sure if it will stay where it is. I'll have 4 of those total when I get done assembling them.

And the mess where I am putting these things together. There's a ton of packaging materials - "styrofoam", cardboard, plastic wrap and bags, etc. to dispose of. They aren't bad to assemble but all of the assembly of these, the shelves/racks, etc. takes a ton of time. Then - how to arrange things? Spacing of the shelves? Where will the cabinets hang?
Ugh - I hate this part. Then I have to clean up the MESS.

Anyone here an interior designer or space planner person? I really need a good space planner - someone who can look at a space and figure out how and where to best place "things" to make the best use of small spaces. I just suck at that part - I hate it, am not good at planning at all, and struggle to figure out where things are going to go. I could more easily solve some large international crisis than plan space use like this, figure out what fits and what will go where. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/09/2015 at 7:37am
BTW - this could happen more quickly than I had wanted, unfortunately. I mean the retirement part from my big/real job. It seems the boss is in talks with the state OCIO (Office of the Chief Information Officer) as far as having them take over all or part of the servers and networking. Apparently he believes that 1 person (*me) can't do what it was taking 3 people to do, and our bean counter is looking for ways to shave costs (all while a couple of departments are in hiring frenzies and the financial bureau is now fully staffed with everyone they need or want, they are 100% staffed)
Well the boss is sort of right - but all they need to do is work with OCIO on a time and material basis when there's a major upgrade project or something. The daily stuff I handle very well. In fact I handle that stuff so well we've been running our WAN at nearly 100% up time. He even says the numbers are the best now that they've ever been since I took over on our WAN and WAN configuration 100% after our network administrator retired nearly 2 years ago.
But of the OCIO takes over, they take over - and I mean all network connection, including WAN, go over to them in their building and the servers will be moved over there as well.
I even half joked in a meeting last week to the OCIO networking rep there "can you drag your feet a bit on this at least until I retire, otherwise I won't have anything to do". But the boss said oh, yeah, you'll still be busy" - I resisted the temptation to pop back with oh, yeah? Doing what? explaining to users how to turn a computer on?
Seriously, network, LAN/WAN, servers, it's what I do mostly. Oh, yeah, there's the security part - but OCIO would take all of that over too, and frankly they'd gut out what I have in place in favor of their lame protection run by a guy who believes that 5 or 6 infections a day is normal. Normal? #$@% you shouldn't have that many in a whole month, ya ding-dong!
We went about 4 years with 0 and he believes 5 or 6 a day is good?
If the boss moves forward with his thoughts and the OCIO wins with their chomping at the bit and drooling wanting to take over on all things IT, then I'll be out and in a bit of a big pickle........... and at my age too late to start over again, so the shop will be my grocery money and house payments.
Gotta keep moving forward with this and hope that I can make things work.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/10/2015 at 6:54am
It’s funny how someone like that guy that guts out what you have in place in favor of their lame protection and run by a guy who believes that 5 or 6 infections a day is normal gets to keep their job when others know and prove they know more than him.

I know it is hard to sit by and let them do what they think is best but if they are going to pay you to sit or show how to turn on computers then sit & show for your 16 months. Heck you earned it for all the other crap you have had to deal with over the years you have been there.

Maybe drop hints that when it does not work, based on numbers as that is all they see, you will come back as a consultant and make the big bucks ;)

After working IT contract work, using it as a foot in the door to get a full time job, I had enough and now drive tank trailer trucks. They tell me when & where I need to be and I am then the boss. Start & stop hours are not great but it is local so I am home every night. Plan is to do this for 10+ years and retire.

I hope it all works out for you.
BTW do you have Visio at work? I think you can use that for your garage space planning?
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 7:42am
Yeah, before the OCIO "absorbed" (sort of like a corporate unfriendly take-over is more how it's done here) DNR's IT, I was in a Symantec user group meeting and their IT guy that handled their anti-malware, etc. was griping up a storm about how their protection was worthless and they constantly had to reimage computers because of this nasty virus that kept getting in and they weren't able to clean it and he was just really blasting the product, which happened to be Symantec's endpoint protection, exactly what I've used since it came out.
I kept asking questions of him and he kept telling everyone as loud as possible how worthless it was because it couldn't stop that virus.
I told him that we'd been totally virus-free for over 3 years (at that time, it's now well over 4 years) and we used the same product. All he could say was we were lucky because the product was worthless.
I increased my questions and also made sure others in the group heard how much success I'd had and how we were doing things with it beyond what anyone I had talked to had done.
Meeting over, he wasn't quite as vocal about it but still grumbled.
A week later I got a call from him as my boss had seen him in another meeting and suggested he talk to me about their security problems.
He came over and we met in my office where I showed him how I had things set up, the custom intrusion prevention signatures I had put together, how I was blocking USB drives and data transfers through them, the application control rules I had made that prevented browser helper objects from being snuck into the registry and so on.
He had this glossy look and said he'd never even seen those areas before........ I checked their system - there was a fellow under him who had actually installed the product - and he had left EVERYTHING at the install defaults. Nothing was configured properly at all.
So I exported my security policies and sent them over - it was the end of their virus problems.

Shop - Iowa weather sucks sometimes. I had yesterday off but made little progress because Barbara had promised a friend that we'd help her get a new cabinet picked up at Home Depot and take it to her home for her, as well as other chores. She made up for that by helping pull back the @#$% cheap-#@$ so-called tarps they sell now days and move things into the shop I was extremely concerned about because of an extreme storm and high wind prediction we'd been hearing for over a day. They were talking whopper storms, tornadoes and winds of 50 to 70 mph for the night and Thursday after the Wednesday storms rolled through.
We got a few things moved in from under the tarps, redid the tarps and strapped them down better, moved loose things into the garage. (quite a bit of the shop stuff was and is still stacked high and deep in the garage so it was safe)
We barely made it - the winds were coming up as we were trying to strap the tarps back in place.  I can't believe the stuff she was lifting and moving.
I was exhausted by lunch (which came late at about 1:30) and took a short break, then went back out to try to get things we'd moved into the shop semi-situated so I could continue to assemble cabinets and shelving.
Not long after I went out the wind came up like unreal - it was as strong as I'd seen. I heard a constant roar and rumble from the sky - not thunder, it was unending like heavy train traffic. I heard a big sound moving from the south like giant wall was approaching and WHAM, hail hard as heck. Luckily the hail lasted only seconds as the Eagle wagon and my truck still sit outside.
The wind didn't let up and big heavy stuff was blowing around like toys. That roar in the sky was loud and unending so I gave up and ran to the house and right downstairs to see the weather on the TV - the map was red all around, constant tornadoes all around, as one moved on another 1 or 2 appeared. Semi trucks blown over, a semi trailer at a WalMart not far away are laid over. Signs were flattened. The wind speeds they were reporting on the TV were in the 50 to 90 mph range and that wasn't even the tornadoes they were talking about.
Lucky the storm moved FAST. It was only around our area for a short time but the winds stayed. In fact it's still windy at like 50 mph, supposed to die down to the 40 mph range a bit later.
So I wasn't able to do much at all yesterday.

The supplies for mounting the cabinets on the wall arrived this week. Steel brackets that have to be bolted to the back of the cabinets and track you mount on the walls. That's gonna be fun with the steel walls which of course are the "corrugated steel" so not flat, meaning I'll have to use wood spacers to mount the tracks to the walls.  And just finding the mounting points won't be easy - normal ways to find "studs" in walls won't work behind steel walls. I can tell some by how the screws attach the steel, but that won't find the upright posts or all of the horizontal pieces as they only attach the steel with screws into every other horizontal run of the frame.
We did get my armature lathe moved in ! YEAH!!! Need that for the alternator and starter restoration.   I guess I can't say no progress - that's a big deal. I got it mounted on a stand now - with casters, so it's going to be a whole lot easier to get to and use when I need it.
Goal is to at least get to the point that the stuff isn't out under tarps any more, and the things necessary to get going on the alternators again is moved in and set up first, or at least at or near the very top of the list.
Problem is that there's a lot of other stuff in the way - that's what Barbara was helping with - moving things into the shop just so they are in a pile in there and out of the way so I can get to the other stuff and get it moved in.
I'm really close to being able to get a work bench moved back in, holy cow, that, the solvent tank and blast cabinets and I'll be almost there as far as the restoration work. The rest I can take time on.

So we got a few things moved in and out of the weather, recovered things with the tarps and strapped them down better in prep for the storms, got the armature lathe in, set up on a new stand and ready to use for the starters and alternators, got my bench grinder and stand found in the pile and moved in and set up (helps to clean the parts for plating, etc. so that was also needed as it's got the wire wheel on it.)
I think I got in by about 11:00 last night. When I left the shop and went around the corner to head to the house I was hit by a huge gust that literally sucked the breath right out of me.
They were warning about that on the news this AM telling people to be aware - they could get knocked down or have their breath taken away as the wind crossed their face.
What a weird feeling, for a couple of seconds you literally can't breathe.  

I do have visio but not so sure I'd be good at using it for planning - might give it a try, never thought of using that.

-------------

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 8:47am
I don't know what's taking you so long Bill! Tongue

It looks really good so far Smile

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: S Curry
Date Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 9:22am
Talking to my son that lives in WDM. Sounds like it got nasty down there. We had some rain and then the wind started around 9PM nothing really bad. Just blew around some deck chairs. No snow.
I found out where I got my squeegee from. Arnold Motor Supply. I can even get a stock number if you wish. I really like it.

-------------
SC

Date Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 6:30pm
Quote I do have visio but not so sure I'd be good at using it for planning - might give it a try, never thought of using that.
Don't feel bad I tried to use Visio for some project I was doing at the time. I was not and still not good at it so I turned to pen & paper Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 7:32am
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

Talking to my son that lives in WDM. Sounds like it got nasty down there. We had some rain and then the wind started around 9PM nothing really bad. Just blew around some deck chairs. No snow.
I found out where I got my squeegee from. Arnold Motor Supply. I can even get a stock number if you wish. I really like it.

If it works well, yes, please. The one I have I bought on sale but it was supposedly a good one, not a WalMart special, yet it's so stiff and ungiving and doesn't follow the floor contours well (no concrete is 100% perfect)

Anyway, I did what I have not done for quite a while - messed myself up again. I had a stack of boards I had salvaged from heavy pallets stacked in my wood shop upstairs - near the planer. Was going to plane them and clean them up to use as shelves in the area under the stairs landing. Well..... instead of cleaning up, picking up and putting things away as I go up there, I had piles of stuff all over, what a mess. I was cutting boards to use as "furring strips" to mount the cabinet tracks to the walls. The downstairs steel walls of course are NOT flat, corrugated steel is fun to hang things on, and because there are not studs on 16" centers but instead the boards of the building frame run horizontally, I have to use strips to space things out even with the high spots of the walls, and to attach to the frame structure of the building.
So I turned or pivoted to turn on the dust collector, then turned back to the table saw and snagged my foot on the stack of lumber there and I went down hard - I saw myself headed into the corner of the radial arm saw table and the steel sticking out from that and reached out to catch myself with my right arm and frankly for a while there thought I had broken it. I sat there thinking "oh, @#$%!!!" then realized, naw, it ain't broken but I sure can't easily move it. I tore/strained the muscle so even reaching up or out for anything is extremely painful (actually nearly impossible)
It's getting a bit better but I stay pretty much maxed out on ibuprofen at this point. Wow, talk about another set-back. That's all I needed. On the other hand, those of us with bad cases of ADD are expected to be, are described as being very "accident prone" and my medical history bears that out.

Ah, but I'm not one to sit back and take it laying down, exactly. I "drug up" and get back to work, much to my wife's dismay and displeasure.
It might take 3 hours to do 1 hour of work, but I'm so bloody far behind already I can't just do nothing.
Good thing I keep a collection of bars, straps, chains, 4x4's, 2x4's, have the gantry crane and engine hoist, a "come-along", 4 floor jacks (plus one in the garage that doesn't work well) and 6 jackstands.

The stand's top isn't done but here's the armature lathe pretty much ready to use now! No longer sitting precariously on saw horses and being dragged around the shop, it's on a stand with casters.

When my wife was helping me dig stuff out, she ran across this and since the case had a handle, took it out to the shop. I cleaned it up nicely. I think it might have been used once or twice at the time I worked for Andy, I know it was set back and not used after I left there as he didn't do differential work after that and I did most of the transmission work, too. This is great for carrier bearings and much more. No press needed. It's a nice tool for cleanly removing tapered roller bearings.  This was either one of the shop tools my former boss gave me, or I may have paid some small amount for it.

I did manage to get a couple of cabinets mounted on the wall, although it took a whole lot longer with the banged-up arm.
The cords/air hose won't likely stay there, but for now needed to have a place to put them, have to try to get back to normal and start getting real work done, so am getting tools and supplies moved in as a priority, some storage and shelving may have to wait a bit.

This rack is in place now - I did get the wood up on the top so all shelves are completed and I can start moving parts onto them as soon as I seal the wood.
My wife loved what I did with a couple of them. I had salvaged the better lumber from an old picnic table we had for years but had started to fall apart. I ran some of the boards through the planer to clean them up and to make them the same thickness as standard lumber - a 2x4 is 1.5" by 3.5" but these were a good 1.75" thick originally.   I got sort of silly one night late and thought what the heck, might as well alternate them for strength - and stood back and cool, neat pattern! My wife thought it was deliberate for the looks, I said, well, I guess, but originally it was to make sure the wood species was alternated for maximum strength, the result was something she, my favorite quilter, really liked.
With this unit in place, I have also moved in the first work bench, cleaned it up and put it in place. Now, yes, when I get the tubs/bins with the alternators and starters dug out and moved back in, and the parts dug out and put away, and find the rest of my tools, I can get back to work!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 9:24pm
Well, it looks like I may have really done it this time, or should I say, last week when I fell hard in my wood shop while making shelves for the shop downstairs. 
My arm/shoulder has NOT gotten better, in fact the last few days, starting about Thursday, it's been feeling a lot worse. So bad I got almost no sleep Thursday night, and Friday I had to sleep sitting in a chair. Laying flat hurt like #$%
I went to urgent care Friday where they took x-rays - they found the old break from years ago but said they'd need a tech to read them to ensure there wasn't some break or crack the doctor missed seeing.
However, before I left, almost 2 hours later, the doctor said she was "concerned about ............ rotator cuff (sp) and something about the tendon up there. (whatever that cuff thing is, it must be important as that's what Barbara needs surgery on to help take care of her pain)
The doc did some manipulating of my arm and muscle and those were the last things she said - before ordering a sling and calling in a prescription for some drugs.

Anyway, arm in sling for most of Friday, with the storm heading our way Barbara wanted to get the Eagle wagon into the shop. There was a lot of stuff in the way preventing that - like the lawn tractor. Idea - move some of the stuff from the garage into the shop, clear up just enough space to get the mower in the garage, then gt the Eagle wagon pushed back into the shop so it wasn't sitting outside.
It's impressive what she can do and lift sometimes with just one arm, and her arm/hands being less than perfect at that. 
We got the sandblast cabinet moved from the garage to the shop using thick corrugated cardboard from the boxes the new cabinets came in - to soften the gravel drive a bit so the casters would be of at least some good. It took about 10 minutes but we got it there. Then we used the wagon behind the lawn tractor to haul some tubs of stuff down to the shop and slid other stuff around and got the lawn tractor into the garage! YEAH!
So a few tubs of stuff made it into the shop. 1 or 2 of them had alternator parts in them. 
The rear bumper of the truck lines up fairly well with the front bumper of an Eagle when the Eagle is lacking the engine. So - it was tricky on the driveway back there but I got the truck into position, barely was room, in front of the wagon, rear truck bumper to Eagle front bumper and while she watched and guided, I pushed the wagon, which by now had a half inch of snow all over it, with the truck. 
Of course the snow melting snow from that car was running all over - some of it heading right toward the boxes of books sitting on the floor.  There I was trying to use the mop 1-handed keeping water away from the boxes but I got it done. 
Man it's hard to work with one arm in a sling - so it came out of the sling now and then but I still wasn't able to lift anything or use it for any real work. I can't raise it over my head and even holding it out is nearly impossible. 
So I had the Steel Case book shelf pretty much repainted and ready already, mounted wood onto the bottom like I'm doing with all other steel furniture and fixtures to prevent rust stains, help preserve floor finish and make it easier to move around when needed. I got a shelf populated with the TSB books. Not sure where some of the other books will go since it won't hold all of the books I had out there, since I won't have room for the wood book shelf I had out there. Have to rethink the book situation and placement. 
Small work bench is cleaned up and in place, some tubs of stuff are wiped down and on shelves. 
Seeing some real progress now - or was, until I messed up my arm.  The word the doctor used has me wondering - she was "concerned". I wonder what that means? I wonder why it hurts more now than it did a week ago when I first injured it - and why it's not getting better.

Whatever, with the weather now changed, snow, winter here, etc. I've got to scramble to finish up to the point of being able to WORK out there and not just on putting stuff back, but on other stuff!
Now to go look up what a "rotator cuff" is..............

-------------

Posted By: Green AMX
Date Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 8:12pm
Hows the arm doing 
Hope it's feeling better
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family  

-------------
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done

Date Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 7:19am
Thanks.

I think the naproxen is helping - a little. I still can't raise it or lift with it. What a hassle.

Slooow progress, but progress anyway. Of course the Thanksgiving holiday slowed things a bit - then Saturday was Barbara's family big get-together where there are usually a few dozen kids running around with snotty noses so I look forward to my annual getting sick after that event event.  ;-)

I got a cabinet assembled and mounted on the wall. Remember, that's not as straight-forward as mounting it on a garage wall or the wall in the house would be since there are no "studs" to mount to. There are posts every few feet with horizontal cross braces in the wall. So you mount uprights to those 2x6's in the wall then mount the horizontal mounting rails to those - that allows you to catch the horizontal wall structure AND account for the corrugated steel's shape. You can't mount anything FLAT on a wall that's not flat.

I got the boards laid in the final rack system, save for 1 I need to rip down to 5 3/16" to finish that shelf.
I don't know what is causing it exactly - I knew I had to have sinus surgery soon, and I knew I had major problems in the sinuses - and allergies (reacted to 18 of 36 things they test for) but I ended up wearing masks all weekend I was working as the slightest thing caused extreme reactions this weekend. Luckily I have a couple of decent masks that not only filter particles but also fumes. I woke up Saturday with bleeding sinuses and constant non-stop drip so the masks were a blast to wear and mess with while cutting and sealing the boards for the shelves.
I had wanted to redo the wall shelves where the alternator and starter cores sit, and knew they were loaded with quartz sand and dust from the floor grinding and refinishing so I took the opportunity and removed the alternators and starters from the shelves, removed the shelves, cleaned and cut those boards to use on the new racks and put new wider boards on the wall shelves, well, started that process anyway. Got a decent start, far far from done, though.  That concrete dust was everywhere as was that quartz. It was in and on everything on those shelves.

Barbara helped me move a few more things into the shop from storage outside as the tarps are ripping and wind-whipped and won't hold the rain and snow back very well now, gotta get things moved in even if there's no place for them yet. So the shop is a total mess of stuff piled all over.
Still have the trailer loaded with stuff and half the pile under the lean-to is still out there, as it most of the stuff that was hauled to the garage by my brother's family.
It's a pit, a mess, walk paths to get from one end to the other and I hate it. But it will come together. Maybe time to get rid of some stuff.

Here is the cabinet I finished and mounted the past few days - here there was no conduit or other obstacles to work around so I didn't space the mounting out so far from the wall-  just enough to clear the shape of the corrugated steel. I am mounting them up to make it easier to keep the floor clean, and I can use the space under to store things like car dollies, etc.

You can see the stuff laying everywhere until it gets put away....... these cabinets come with only 3 shelves and extras have to be special ordered direct from the company - no one sells them!

I have moving dollies stored under this cabinet and have started to populate it with stuff but am short on shelves so have to order some. What a pain, but they only sell the shelves direct if you need extras. The 6' wide rack is ready except to cut one more board to finish the second shelf down, and to seal the upper 3 shelves, the lower ones are sealed (I'm applying wood sealer - things slide more easily and grease and oil won't soak in quite as badly or quickly. That takes a lot of time).

Yeah! The Eagle wagon is INSIDE once again - for the day I finally get time to work on it.
The Javelin will have to sit outside once I get things mostly in the shop. There simply won't be room to keep it inside as I'll have the blue project SX4 moved in once other things are inside and put away. Bummer, but no place to put it. The 70 is in the garage packed in like a sardine in a can with my SX4 and since I drive the pickup in the winter, it needs to go inside, too - I hope.
Barbara says I have too many cars..............  gee, I never knew that was possible?
(Those wheels go on the blue project SX4, they aren't mine)

Moving things into the shop yesterday we ran across my piston pin hone set.

A - Barbara helped me lift this cabinet down from the wall up high - am going to lower the mounting so it's not so high since I won't have a tall book shelf here. But since I won't be putting the tall book shelves back in, where will all the books go? I can fill a 72" tall book shelf.
B - one more board to cut then this rack will have all the wood in place for shelves. Finally!
C - even have things sitting on the steps for now until I can get things put away finally.
D - technical service bulletins - but where will the other 4 shelves worth of books go? I have at least 4 or 5 more "paper boxes" of books left to put away.

Notice all steel things are up on treated wood blocks to protect the floor, keep the steel from rusting and staining the floor - and to make it easier to CLEAN under things! I hated all the DEAD BUG CORPSES laying all over when we moved things out. Gross! Yuck!

Steel Case brand book shelf sanded down and painted with textured paint, looks like new but only a fraction of the size I'll need for all the books I already have  - still in boxes waiting to be put on shelves.
Plus I'm getting a complete set of Motors tech books - not the type you usually see but a type I've never seen before loaded with all sorts of tech specs and much much more detailed information than is in the Motors books I have or have ever seen. This was some sort of edition different from the others. There's enough of them to completely fill all of these shelves, covering something like 4 decades of all cars.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 6:58am
My bloody sinuses are so screwed up now that I have to wear the appropriate mask when doing almost anything. I suppose the decades of exposure to asbestos (brake work all those years), chemicals/solvents, paints, farm chemicals and so on ain't done me any good.
So up in the wood shop cutting and planing and sanding I have to wear a good dust mask and run the filter system and downstairs applying the sealer I have to wear the carbon filter mask to take out the sealer effects from the air. Doesn't help that the infrared heat seems to do something with the sealer aromatics and it makes the shop have a weird smell after a while, really strange.

Masks in place, I worked some on the shelving again last night.
The east rack (the 96" tall x 72" wide x 24" deep unit) is done. All boards in place, sealer applied.
It will be ready to load "stuff" on by tonight or later depending how my head and arm.
I also got started putting the wall-mounted alternator/starter core shelving back in place with new boards. I used some of the shelving parts Dad gave me when the store he worked at closed down and they were tossing stuff in the dumpster. That allowed me to add two shelves below what I had already. Still won't quite be enough but it will be a big help. I'm making them just a bit longer than the original 48", too - so perhaps each shelf will hold just 1 more thing (or make it less likely that what's there falls off!)

The only original rack that went back in is the one in the SW corner where the Eagle engine and interior parts were stashed, otherwise most things are "new". And that brings a problem into play - the SW shelving or rack is still the 4' wide it always was but the cabinet I mounted on the wall next to it is 36" wide and not 24" wide as the wood kitchen cabinet was which was there. That moves the long engine bench (and where I did plating) down to the north a good 12". Hmmmmm, if the solvent tank goes back into place to the north end of that bench, there will be absolutely NO room for the alternator test bench I had setup between the solvent tank and the shorter alternator/starter/wiper motor work bench.
So on the west wall, I'll be lacking at least 12" as far as being able to put the alternator test equipment back. Also the powder coating oven isn't going back in the NW corner.

The east well faces similar, actually worse problems. I originally had a 48" rack there, it's been replaced by a 72" wide unit. I also have a 36" x 72" tall cabinet there. That means the tall book shelves and the cabinet all the NOS alternator small parts were in won't fit back there again.
The old setup on the east wall was the 48" wide shelving, the alternator parts cabinet, then the short metal book shelves with 2 wood cupboards sitting on that, then the tall wood book shelving.
The new east wall is the metal 36" wide cabinet, the 72" wide shelving, the short metal book shelves......... and that's all there's room for.
the east wall won't hold the tall wood book shelves or the blue metal alternator parts cabinet.

That leaves 3 large things with no home/place to put them - alternator test stand, tall wood book shelves, blue metal alternator parts cabinet.  Some of the stuff that's in the latter may go into small plastic covered tubs or bins on the shelving, sort of like fuzzface/Dave talked of.
Oh, the powder coating oven but that will sit just under the stairs on casters.
Not sure on all the books - I may have to get really creative there.

Then I still need to find places for the mill/lathe, valve equipment, boring bar and equipment, and more.

Ugh - I suck at space planning, it makes my head hurt. I should have hired someone to figure out where things would go.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/09/2015 at 6:57am
Not much progress lately - my shoulder being screwed up so I can't lift or move thing (yeah, what - a month later, still hurts like (insert word that forum would block here) and my sinuses and throat I found out yesterday are worse than originally thought. Surgery, and now after a procedure where they looked into the pipes and all show growing damage, thus growing concern, about the constant sinus drainage AND reflux.
I also visited Dad, who is still really hurting from Mom's death. He's going nuts there alone and being in the house hurts. He can't stand to go into the room where she died.

I did try to get a few things done - good thing, too. The stuff I have stacked on the trailer and covered with a tarp - some of those boxes got wet and soaked and a couple of boxes of NOS parts were hit hard, boxes and packages ruined and parts starting to rust. Ouch. Some of the really old Rambler parts were hit hardest so I scrambled and with Barbara's help just started moving things off the trailer and into the shop in piles all over. So now it's really hard to walk in there, stuff everywhere with a couple of paths to get from one side to the other. But - getting closer to being "back in business" as far as being able to work in there, too.
Once I get "stuff" moved away from the west wall and the large bench cleaned up again, it can go back into place, then I can get the solvent tank back in and do some minor things. I still need to get all the NOS and other alternator parts in the shop again. The alternator tools and test stuff is all still very buried, but at least closer.
It's going to be tough to arrange all the new equipment in there - and find space for some of the other since I changed shelving units and cabinets.
At least things that could be damaged are now off the trailer. All that's still on it are things in tubs or otherwise sealed, or immune to weather.
The engines are still under the lean-to as is the solvent tank and the bead blast cabinet. That's fairly well protected for now anyway until we get another snow storm.
Not sure-  maybe I should find a way to store the engines in the lean-to somehow? I know the transfer cases and some transmissions will have to go on a rack out there as there just won't be room for those inside now. Maybe the engines can be prepped and covered and kept up against the shop wall out there, at least under a roof. There's a 401, 360, 343 and 258 I have to find space for so maybe that's the best bet.
In any case, a vehicle has to sit outside - it's got to be either the truck (hate to do that to a 2011 with the nice cover on the back. Exposure to sun and weather isn't good) or the 73 Javelin, and I hate to do that since that car has no weatherstripping and even a gentle rain gets inside the car and trunk, not to mention the hood isn't changed over yet so any rain gets into the air cleaners and sits on the engine.
Neither option is good.   I can drive the truck in the winter, but that 73 - LOL, you don't want to take it on wet streets even as if you hit the throttle just a tad too hard it goes sideways.. badly need a limited slip under that thing. It's worthless on wet roads, plus I don't want to rot it with our winter crap.   I suspect the poor truck will sit out again this winter.

-------------

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Dec/29/2015 at 1:18pm
What's the latest progress Bill? Been awhile since u posted

Not stealing your thread but I have been doing a lot of shop improvements myself since I have the Rambler road worthy...

Pics... http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/7050870" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/7050870

Keep having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Posted By: dltowers
Date Posted: Dec/29/2015 at 5:15pm
Bill....
May I suggest this "2 Story Tool Box" to compliment your new Shop Project....

-------------
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20

Date Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 7:33am
Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

Bill....
May I suggest this "2 Story Tool Box" to compliment your new Shop Project....

Wacko

!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!
I have enough trouble keeping track of things now! LOL - I'd have to do like these big stores do, keep a database of things as far as column and row of drawer that xxxx tool or part is in!

On the other hand, I think I'll add that to my next Christmas wish list and see how far I get!
I did get a VERY nice high-end block plane and a set of spare planer knives for my planer this last Christmas so this is only a small step up from that, right?!??  HA.

What's the latest progress Bill? Been awhile since u posted

Not stealing your thread but I have been doing a lot of shop improvements myself since I have the Rambler road worthy...

Pics... http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/7050870" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/7050870

Keep having AMC Fun,
Ollie

I'm glad you asked! 
NOPE, I'm  not really - it's horribly embarrassing, the lack of progress is bad enough but the mess is absolutely, well, I hope not too many folks actually even look at this thread and see this messy disaster. It looks like a 4 year old was in there for a week. I'm not proud of it at all.
But then with family stuff, holidays and now fighting the weather, things have slowed down a lot.
I guess it's time for a lack of progress report anyway and you DID ask.

I had promised my wife I'd have the wood floors done before spring this year - that's been 2 years in the making. Uh, no progress there, either, other than getting the closet all but done in the bedroom I laid floor in a year ago. We're both very happy and impressed with how it turned out. Just a door to hang and trim to finish and then back to the shop more often.

As things are getting brought back in, or at least before they are put into place, etc., things are getting cleaned and if it's tools or equipment or that sort of thing, they are getting cleaned, repaired - for example, the solvent tank. What a mess. The solvent was about 3 years old, the tank was filthy and I'm NOT having things with steel legs on the floor to leave rust marks or gouge. So things like benches are getting treated wood skids and the solvent tank, in order to be able to more easily clean and service it, got casters.
I'm making anything that doesn't absolutely need to be stationary mobile with casters, and stationary things like benches, shelving units and such, gets treated lumber skids.
So the solvent tank got drained, cleaned thoroughly, the pump removed and cleaned out (wow, the mud/sludge in there was crazy) and last night I had it tipped up and put casters on it.
New solvent goes in when the tank is in place along the west wall - don't want to think of moving it with solvent in it. Talk about expensive these days! I'm sure much of it is EPA, disposal fees and so on, but a couple of buckets of solvent sets a fellow back pretty good these days.
I hope tonight or tomorrow to have enough stuff moved out of the way to put the tank in place and refill it. THEN I can start cleaning parts again!
The blast cabinets (1 bead blast cabinet, a smaller one, and 1 for other media, more aggressive, a larger one) need to go back into place.
My issue with those is the DUST and crap that fills the air and then settles on cars and benches and tools and all the parts stashed on shelves.
I need to find a better way to keep the dust down. Eventually I'll enclose the lean-to and make a room just for blasting cabinets and powder coating - sealed so the dust and powder can't get to the cars, tools and parts but for now, I must be able to blast and not have all that abrasive and just plain dirty dust all over the shop. So open to ideas there, but on a budget please!!!!!!!

The good, if we want to call it that, I guess it's not bad so it must be good, right? Barbara said "bad weather is going to settle in, how about I help and we just get all the remaining stuff back into the barn so it's not outside and then you can work on it in there". That meant the shop would be standing room only, stuff stacked on and around cars, piles of stuff on piles of stuff, but it would be inside.
So she helped and we got everything crammed back inside except for 2 engines that are still under the lean-to (a 1970 360 and a complete 258)
That means there are two narrow ways to get from the door to the far corner of the shop and you turn sideways to get there.
But it's inside. No more stuff stacked on the car hauler under a tarp (which, by the way, leaked and soaked some boxes of NOS parts and really ticked me off) and no more stuff under a tarp under the lean-to for wind and snow and rain and ice to get to.
It will take about 15-30 minutes or so to make space for the solvent tank along the west wall as that's stacked with tubs and boxes of parts and stuff right now, then I'll have to move a car to get the solvent tank over to the wall from the middle of the shop.

I used one of the shelving units or "racks" I had in the shop before to make a spot for some of the transmissions and transfer cases and that sort of thing out under the lean-to against the shop wall. I find snow does make its way to that rack so I'll need to make some simple covers or doors on the shelving/rack to prevent that, but rain can't get there at all. Just wind-driven snow so that should be simple to protect against. I had used one of the rack ends and cut it in half to extend another rack upward to a bit over 100" tall, so had a spare end - and used that to extent the rack under the lean-to for wheel and tire storage OFF THE GROUND, away from mice, and away from direct sunlight.  That worked out slick. Even Barbara was impressed and she's picky as @#$% and a perfectionist. IF she liked it, it's ok.

My goal is to get the solvent tank in place, filled and working, get the blast cabinets in place and hooked up again and find a way to evacuate the dust and such so I can use them, and with the small bench in place and ready, and some of the alternator and starter tools found, I can get back to work and just put the rest of the stuff back and I can or get time, etc. But I've GOT to get back to work on the starters and alternators!
It will be inconvenient as @#%$ for a while, the shop will be a messy disaster (I can always blame the North Koreans, I guess) but I have to do whatever is needed to get back to those restorations.

Any time anyone wants to come over and help clean up parts, sort through bins and tubs, or just supervise and determine or decide how things should be organized, come on over, I'll furnish food and drink. I can't organize, plan or decide how to best place things. I'm not an organizer so any help even if not muscle but only supervising and organizing, I welcome it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll do the "doing" if someone else wants to do the planning and organizing.

Tires and wheels, with space for larger items stacked or leaned along the barn/shop wall. This is a spare rack and parts left-over when I extended another rack upward.

This is the rack inside that I extended upward buy cutting one rack end in half horizontally and welding the halves onto the top of the ends of this rack. Most of the stuff on these shelves is just there to get it off the floor and out of the way. The spare Eagle axles, for example, will go up high, the starters have been moved to other shelves. The two transmissions and block and heads will stay here, however.

The stove/oven is all cleaned up again. It will remain on the dolly so it can be moved as needed. I am going to extend the 50 amp circuit over to this area from the NW corner where it is now, which is right next to the breaker box. The trick - the cost of the copper to get it up the wall, across the TALL 15' ceiling the 30' width of the shop, then back down to a 50 amp outlet. Once things are cleaned up and more organized the stove will be better off over here anyway and on casters, can be moved for access to the things behind it. I normally unplug it when not in use. OK, so I'm paranoid?
The top burners and burner pans are in the house to be cleaned and scrubbed. The oven is used for powder coating, the top elements used to heat plating solutions and so on.

This is what I mean by a mess - here's a partially disassembled 401, my MIG covered in plastic to keep it clean, and the solvent tank on dollies before I put casters on the tank legs proper. The tank is cleaned, emptied, dried, the pump cleaned up, etc.
The eagle wagon is in the shop and sort of back in its corner, the tarp is on it originally to dry it off since it was snowing when we moved the last of the stuff in and the tarp was a bit wet, but I'm considering using the tarp to cover and protect the car from scratches - on the other hand, these plastic tarps don't breath and I'm having second thoughts due to it possibly holding moisture against the car, under the car, etc. in our WET spring weather.
Oh, and I need to get the steel wheels on the wagon so I can get that last slotted wheel - seen on the right front. I understand those wheels could be correct for my 73 Javelin, but they are in bad need of restoration and the trim rings are a disaster. They look COOL on the wagon, but I need them worse on the Javelin so am likely to find another decent set of aluminum sport wheels for the wagon.

Transfer cases, transmissions, springs and axles on the rack under the lean-to.

Stacks of tubs of parts to go through and put on shelves, stack of intakes and seat parts waiting to be cleaned up and put away......

The stuff along the far wall has to move as that's where the solvent tank will go. The wheels here will go on that project SX4, the steel wheels from that SX4 will go on the wagon, the slotted wheels from the wagon will be restored and go onto the 73 Javelin.
Solvent waiting to go into the tank when it's in place......
The 401? Who knows, maybe find another Eagle to put that in........... HAHAHA.

I need to find a good place to keep the torch, you can see the blast cabinets waiting to be cleaned up and put into place, a twin-grip to finish up, and alternator test stand. The alternator tester will likely be dismantled and reconfigured totally differently because I've found half the functionality just doesn't work. A lot of the wiring internally is bad, external leads are cracked, some of the switches and other controls don't work well, and some parts of it simply don't work. The only really necessary parts are the clamp part that holds the alternator or generator being tested and the removable unit which works standalone outside of the stand anyway. And the parts of that which get used are only the field rheostat and the load control to test max output. Otherwise an oscilloscope is one of the best tools one can use on an alternator anyway.  I can save a lot of space, cut the weight by 1/3 (it takes an engine hoist to move it) and remove all the stuff that doesn't work and make it more versatile, smaller, lighter, etc. I need space, and since half of this doesn't function, it will get revamped, reconfigured before getting put onto a better stand.
Need to find a place for the press and other stuff in the picture, too!

By the time I get all the service bulletins and other AMC books and stuff in here, this is FULL. So I had two large boxes of books and manuals I have no space for since the other book shelves (seen in picture ABOVE) won't fit along this wall now with the bigger cabinet and longer shelf rack. Hmmm, and I have 3 more 3' shelves of books coming soon from another shop, parts of their equipment I'm buying out. So, I have to revamp my office in the house and make room for an entire book shelf unit of books dating back into the late 1950s.

Ah, the other large cabinet I mounted on the wall, and a view of the SW rack/shelves. The parts on the very top will stay, the transmissions, block and heads on the bottom shelf will stay, the rest will get re-arranged. the starters on the second shelf up have already been moved to the other shelves on the south wall where the starter and alternator cores are.

Hey, I DO have some things put away on the shelves they belong on!
Transmissions, heads, a 258 block, torque converter, etc..........

This corner is where the oven used to be. No more! I want this corner OPEN, the breaker box accessible, no stuff will be stacked or stashed here. I have started to populate this rack with tubs of parts and have the Eagle headlight bezels hung up in place on the north end of the rack.
I do need to move one or more of the shelves up or down to make better use of the space but that's a minor detail.

And finally, the wall of cores.......... and the shelving to the left holds wiper motor cores (in the bins with purple handles) and things to be worked on/restored (in the numbered tubs/bins)
There's jugs of distilled water (for the plating processes), some NOS alternators (boxes on left end of high shelf) valve grinder (green) armature lathe (red), MIG (blue, in foreground), the copper pipe is my compressed air line. Note the shelving unit is on treated skids............. it's easier to get them leveled up that way. I also am using strapping to secure the very tops to the shop walls (my wife's suggestion, secure them so it's not possible for them to tip for any reason, especially on these narrower or less deep shelves as they are only 17" deep where the others are 24" deep. It made her nervous.)

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 7:06am
Whooo-hoo! I made a tiny bit of progress last night - carefully negotiating the walkway from house to shop through the ice-covered ground and stepping stones and sidewalks, I did get the solvent tank moved to the west wall, casters are fully installed, and solvent in tank.
However, to protect the wall behind the tank and to keep the tank spaced a bit away from the end of the large work bench, I'm adding wood "buffers" or "bumpers" to the back of the tank (so it doesn't smack against the wall since it's on casters now and movable) and to the left end to keep it spaced from the bench so the lid doesn't get tangled under the bench top and so on.
That should be finished in another half-hour or so.
It's sure nice having the ability to clean parts again, new solvent (15 gallons, OUCH, that shot the budget for the month for sure), clean tank inside and out and I can easily move it for future cleaning of the tank and the floor under it!
I used cast casters so any solvent drips or spills wouldn't hurt them - I was unsure as to what impact months or years of solvent proximity might have on "rubber" or "hard plastic" casters. So, the caster wheels being cast gets me back to having something hard and "rustable" on the floor - I may need to find something to put UNDER the casters to keep them from eventually getting rusty and/or staining the floor, that sort of thing.
Geesh, my OCD or whatever you wanna call it sure leads to a lot of work and having to think too darned hard. My brain hurts.............  (I'm sure fans of a certain old British comedy will figure that one out)
BUT - having plans on actually using the shop a whole lot more in about 13 or 14 months, doing real work, more work, more things, I've got to get it right this time. One shot at it, it's got to be right and work for me for years to come. I've already been asked about engine work, transmission work and other things besides the electrical systems restorations. After about 30 years, I'll be getting back to what I love, what I was trained for, and what the shop teachers all said I was a natural for. (I'm bored with IT work and frankly, things are changing so much where I work, it's just not fun, it's all stress)

Having the tank finished, solvent in place, allows me to get rid of 3 5 gallon cans and the dolly they sat on, and some space in the middle of the shop to WALK and get to other stuff.

If'n anyone looks at the photos (as if anyone even really reads any of this) and has suggestions on how to store things, where to place things and so on, let me know. Just because I have something on a specific shelf or in a specific way doesn't necessarily mean I like it or feel it's ideal.
I'm not a good space planner. I can't even figure out a better way to arrange the living room in our house, must to my wife's dismay. 
Oh, heck, 27 years today!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 10:50am

If'n anyone looks at the photos (as if anyone even really reads any of this) and has suggestions on how to store things, where to place things and so on, let me know.
Your right Bill, no one reads this thread.  Wink

-------------

Posted By: WARBED
Date Posted: Jan/08/2016 at 1:28pm
Awesome shop bill. Just need a couch to sleep on or do you have an old Rambler. Your like me can't pass up on a good tool. 

-------------
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

If'n anyone looks at the photos (as if anyone even really reads any of this) and has suggestions on how to store things, where to place things and so on, let me know.
Your right Bill, no one reads this thread.  Wink

You always make me smile. But you must seriously think about upgrading to some better reading material!  
Seriously, your shop and work make me want to keep improving things. 

Ha, I had a 4 with reclining bucket seats, and my parents had a 4 wagon - yeah, front to back bed space. Can't beat that, a 1 bedroom AMC!  I sort of miss that old Rambler I had. What a comfortable fun car.

Another slowdown - had the procedure on my airways Friday. I finally found a place that recognized my severe breathing and throat issues, showed me what was going on (I didn't have to wait for her explanation of the CT scan of my sinuses to know what was going on. I can recognize a collapsed hose, vacuum line, etc. and when those openings that show up as dark lines and spaces in the CT scans suddenly narrow to nothing and all but disappear, I thought to myself - uh-oh......
Yeah, things were closed up in there. Well that procedure left me totally stuffed up for as they said "3 or 4 days" after the procedure, and EXTREMELY sensitive to COLD. Guess what the temps did this weekend - it's 0 now, 30+ mph winds. I was out for a while and it left my head pounding. 
Friday the procedure to open up the passages in my head didn't hurt while happening but 30 minutes later I felt like a horse had kicked me in the face, even my teeth hurt. Dust? She said avoid that for a while, or wear a good mask and clean the sinuses out at least once or twice a day to keep things clean and help prevent infection (certain infections on that area can be extremely serious)
Anyway, I was out for a while tonight until I couldn't breathe but did get a couple of tiny things organized a bit, some more stuff put away, a bit more planning anyway. 

I have a question for the shop experts out here in AMC land. 
Grease guns - how the @#$% do you store them without making a mess?
I have one that is about 30-35 years old, the long lever type, works pretty well but if you lay it flat the light parts of any grease I use cone out the end or the vent on the top, etc.
I have a newer one that is only 5 or months old, new grease, it's a more expensive one and I laid it down on a piece of cardboard after using it last, had it all wiped off - and see up by the hand trigger area the cardboard is all soaked. 
Grease guns seem to have a problem with the grease separating a bit and the lighter thinner parts leaking out making a mess. If you hold one up to pull the plunger to prep for filling or putting a new cartridge in, oily crap runs out all over, you and the floor. I used to hang then over a pan but of course the stuff settles out, drips into the pan and flies and bugs die in it and you have a GROSS MESS.
If you lay them flat, they leak, and when you pick them up, it runs out the bottom end. If you hang them upright, it runs out the bottom making a mess in whatever is below them. 
So how do you store your grease guns to minimize the mess and deal with the grease light parts separating out - can't blame it on cheap or low quality grease - I've used some of the best greases on the market and I've used various sorts of grease over the years - similar issues with any of them. 
I'm starting out clean, want to keep things clean (with my sinus issues it's apparently more important than ever that I try), and don't want to have a total mess in just a few weeks after all this effort of cleaning, etc.
And it's not that I'm afraid of getting dirty - I've farmed, raised hogs, and had oil, transmission fluid, and antifreeze up to my armpits and running into my shirt. But those grease guns drive me nuts. 

-------------

Posted By: Lucas660
Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 12:01am
I use a el cheapo plastic toolbox, kind of like a tackle box for fishing. This cost next to nothing. Put a few rags in the bottom and you are good to go. A flexible hose is easier for this. The particular box I have has a little organiser in the top that clips in. That's where I keep the spare nipples.

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 12:30am
My new gun has a rigid pipe, the older long lever gun has a hose. I liked the new one for getting those really tough spots on the Eagle, it was hard to hold the hose and end on and use both hands to pump the lever. the newer one I can get the end on the fitting, hold and use one hand to squeeze the smaller trigger - and it got a fitting greased i'd been having a whole lot of trouble with before. 

That's not a bad idea - I wonder if I could find something like that that would hold both, or even one of mine......it would keep bugs out/off and keep the ends and other accessories organized. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 8:53am
Bill,
Seems as if we all afflicted by the dreaded "grease gun pandemonium"

I am sure there is a "expert" somewhere!!! I am positive the news media can locate him/her (want to be politically correct) and said person can appear on a "talking heads" show and set us all straight. Let us all cross our fingers and hope the day arrives soon !!!!

In the mean time, I just lay my grease guns on a piece of 3/4" plywood and push them under my work bench. They leak just fine on the plywood.

I do have two guns. One was my fathers. I am sure a few thousand tubes of grease have been pushed thru it on all our farm machinery. I thought a new one would solve the leaking problem...WRONG !!!!

Have AMC FUN, Ollie

Date Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 8:45am
Say I really like your valve grinder. I got one from an old timer at work, his name was Homer and he taught me the right way to do differentials, Dang that was 30+ years ago,  comes in handy and saves a boat load of money. My shop looks like Katrina and the Valdez went through it and that's when its cleaned up.

-------------
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.

Date Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Bill,
Seems as if we all afflicted by the dreaded "grease gun pandemonium"

I am sure there is a "expert" somewhere!!! I am positive the news media can locate him/her (want to be politically correct) and said person can appear on a "talking heads" show and set us all straight. Let us all cross our fingers and hope the day arrives soon !!!!

In the mean time, I just lay my grease guns on a piece of 3/4" plywood and push them under my work bench. They leak just fine on the plywood.

I do have two guns. One was my fathers. I am sure a few thousand tubes of grease have been pushed thru it on all our farm machinery. I thought a new one would solve the leaking problem...WRONG !!!!

Have AMC FUN, Ollie

Ollie this isn't intended to insult you by saying you are really old or anything, but gee, father's grease gun, that could qualify to be on Antiques Roadshow and is likely one of the better built guns with actual real honest to goodness steel parts!
If there was any sort of harvesting equipment, a picker, combine, etc. - I get there was a tube of grease every couple of days during harvest.

My new one did sort of solve the leaking out the bottom end issue - yeah, this one leaks out the top end! Sort of like Microsoft saying they've solved the BSOD issue, no more blue screens of death. They did that by changing the screen color when Windows crashed!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Say I really like your valve grinder. I got one from an old timer at work, his name was Homer and he taught me the right way to do differentials, Dang that was 30+ years ago,  comes in handy and saves a boat load of money. My shop looks like Katrina and the Valdez went through it and that's when its cleaned up.

I'm glad I didn't read that he worked in a nuclear power plant..........

I wasn't able to spend much time in the shop last night - the cold air walking to and from (it's about 200' from the house) and the air out there caused my nose and sinuses to go nuts on me - that procedure left things ultra-sensitive for a few days. And it left me zonked as I've not slept well since Friday due to the stuffed head and soreness. But it's worth it - supposedly, if it all works as intended, when it clears up I'll be able to breathe better.
In the mean-time though it's tough to breathe out there.
Then in a few weeks I start the chemical cauterization process up in the sinuses and that's going to be a real blast, tons of fun.

The fellow I bought and am buying the equipment from is a tad older than me and happened to work at the same place our college class toured - a place that built custom performance engines. 40 years later I find that Art worked for Bill and trained as I did and on that type of equipment. Small world.
I found that valve grinder was made in 1969, you can get wear items for it - stones and so on but not major parts of course. No biggy as it's like brand new. The seat tools - those are still being made by an outfit in MN and can get all parts for them as if it was still 1969 - it's still in their current model listing.
Art takes care of his stuff and his wife occasionally goes out to the shop and dusts and wipes things down.
I had to use my engine hoist to lift the valve grinder out of the back of my truck. No plastic parts there.

The solvent tank is ready to go, in place, wood bumper mounted on the back to protect the wall from the tank hitting it since the tank is on casters, a wood buffer on the right end of the large work bench to help maintain some distance between tank and bench, and I added a shelf under the solvent tank to hold the drain pans off the floor. I need to find a good way to stash the brushes when not actively using them. I'd been putting them into a coffee can on a shelf under the tank but then you are dripping solvent onto the tank, floor, and have to reach down under the tank to get a brush so looking for a better solution to store the solvent tank brushes, perhaps in the tank somehow?
Ideas?
Need a good way to stash the gloves, too - but I think those would be fine on the shelf under the tank and I want them AWAY from the solvent when not in use as they last longer that way. I go through 2 or 3 pair a year easily as it is.  I'm wondering about something similar to a dish drainer where the gloves would be maybe held up off the shelf, at a sort of angle and so they'd not lay in or on any solvent.

Once I get some stuff shoved and I mean literally SHOVED out of the way and stacked higher so I have room to walk to the south wall again, I need to clear the spot where the blast cabinets will go so I can get those back in operation. I need them badly for alternator work - but I'm going to have to buy a really decent particulate mask/filter to wear since that sort of crap in my nose and sinuses could send me backwards a few years.

Katrina, Sandy and all 5 cats - that's what my shop looks like - as if all of them hit it and had their way. A Kansas twister couldn't have done a better job stacking things normally unstackable.
It's as if we were prepping to shoot the 'Home Alone 2, Lost in New York' basement scene out there........
But it's getting closer to the point that I can again start working on the stuff I need to get done.

These are the items stacked up to get back to and repair/restore ASAP - as soon as I can make space and get the blast cabinets back in operation again.

You can see the two red cabinets - the smaller bead blaster is in the foreground, the other is in the background - oddly the larger one doesn't work worth a crap. It's got steel shavings in it and I run it full pressure but the gun is shot or something as it doesn't pull media well and barely even dulls paint and doesn't take rust off well at all. The bead blaster does fine - but see how far away it is from where it needs to be, and there's no path to get back there right now - and there's a pickup load of stuff laying and sitting between it and where it belongs.

Ugh, I'm pretty discouraged with it all now. Taking months longer than anticipated. Even my wife said the other day "why is it that things always end up far more complicated and taking so much longer than planned". At least she's giving me a break on my floor project, she's saying "it probably won't be done until spring 2017 now". Poor girl.
I hate the mess, hate the time it's taking, but it's tough when you work 9 hour days, have the drive to and from on top of that plus the doctor visits lately.
But soon I hope, it will be cleaned up, put away properly and decent to work in again.

-------------

Posted By: Wrambler
Date Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 11:20am
I've been trying real hard to remember " man has got to know his limitations". I built a 3 course block square in the garage under the house, put the ne hotwater tank on it to shorten pipe runs to the 8.5" ceiling. I spent all day Saturday try to get it hooked up. The outlet valve in the line to the rest of the pumbing sprang a leak. Had to go clear to silver solder to get it to seal. As soon as it was fixed the other side started!  There isn't an outlet valve anymore. I even went so far as to just use a couple of puch connectors.
  Sunday was horrible, spent all day in the recliner. My back and shoulders don't work overhead good. I have not slept all night in a bed for many nights now. I sleep in the "TV" room as it has a queen size bed and a good recliner. I just move back and forth every few hours.
    My shop is piled high with parts, then the American is wedged in tight to the parts and the door.
My parking stall is full of the laundry bathroom remodel that started the moving of the hot water tank.
   Of course, my wife's stall is clear and she can park inside...

Every time she mentions doing something I shoot her down "not till the laundry room is done" I say "one project at a time" 

I've got medical aches, a recurring cyst in left wrist is back again, sigh. Getting old after trashing your back, should and neck, just sucks. I don't tell my wife as it feels like I'm just throwing things at a dart board and they do not stick...

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 12:28pm
Hard to keep things organized eh,  I also have one of those HF blasters. took a bit of time but got mine working darn good. I do use the exhaust side of a vacuum to pull the dust out so I can actually see what I'm doing. had a regulator but does work better with strait air. For now I'm using glass as an abrasive. Bought a used Econoline blaster but it's a giant and got no were to put it for now. Oh got the Homer joke, the one he gave me is a old Black and Decker when the name actually stood for quality it works great and it's actually not to heavy at least not as heavy as the Soiux/sioux/soiux hea one of those spellings, it's made of thick cast aluminum. The sioux I got at an old VW shop, kept bugWackoging them to sell it to me since they never used it. they had about 50 VW heads on top of it. finally he just gave it to me, but if they needed a head rebuilt he would have me do it. never brought me a one, at the time you could get a new rebuilt VW head for 50.00 bucks. I did get one at action but sold that years ago, can't keep everything. But I try. There is a few places to get quality accessories for the grinders. But like you said nothing for the machines themselves. I know grizzly has some things but you really have to pay attention as to who actually makes it. Good luck with your projects got to go out and see why the Javelin I'm working on has no power to the fuse box/ lights ect. found a cut 10 gauge red wire rate before the junction box on the engine compartment side I think it's my culprit.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/14/2016 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I've been trying real hard to remember " man has got to know his limitations".........Getting old after trashing your back....... just sucks........

I have about decided... If I had to go to REAL work, for REAL wages, for a REAL living...I would get fired before noon on the FIRST day.......

Working in the shop....my my my my my

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Jan/15/2016 at 10:44am
Ollie, retirement in just under 400 days according to my wife. Much of this is to align things with that goal, and it's also to give me at least a little bit of life doing what I truly love, like and enjoy. About time I got back to what I want to do, what I know best. Like my wife's quilting - it relaxes her, she unwinds, has fun, but does and makes neat stuff at the same time. That's where I'm hopefully headed.

I've worked on this post since about Tuesday, copied, pasted, put into notepad and back, in the forum, out of the forum, rebooted computers, etc. and maybe maybe maybe on a short break I can finally finish it up or at least get it "good enough for now, it will have to do".

I'll be thrilled when this COLD windy weather and the extremely dry air goes away. It's driving my nose and sinuses nuts after the procedure last week.  I also need to ask what their definition of 3 or 4 days is...... it's Wednesday and I still can't breathe normally.

I hurt bad enough after getting home from work Monday night that I never got out to the shop at all, but I did do my homework on some more of the equipment a friend has been selling and Tuesday made a deal on more of the equipment. That will include his boring bar and all related tooling, a nice V-block stand he made to hold blocks so the cylinders are pointed up while boring and more.

OK, been trying to get back at this for since Tuesday. I asked about my nose/sinuses and am told I can expect trouble breathing, some pain or discomfort, etc. for a while and cold and/or dry air won't help. And then I start the next phase in a couple of weeks....... oh, fun.

Anyway, it's now Friday. I got a call that I can go pick up more stuff, perhaps even the rest of the stuff later today. I'm taking off this afternoon and am told to be there around 2. They have to call in help since Art has back and heart problems and won't be doing much lifting and pushing and loading. I'm going to TRY to load my engine hoist into the truck using my gantry crane. Wish me luck - the 73 has to move as well as a lot of other stuff just to get TO my engine hoist.
I'll have to chain and secure it into the truck, all inside about an hour time!!!!!

Cool - but then, geesh, the shop is standing room only narrow paths to get through as it is.
Well, it's better to have everything there so I can more easily measure and plan space and arrange things as needed.

wrambler - limitations? Huh? Maybe I need to look that word up - it could be important!
Yeah, I'm quickly learning about that part of life. It took nearly 6 decades, but, well, tips from forum members and friends and all, very helpful.

I am hoping with all things at least IN the shop instead of in 3 or 4 places scattered about, the garage, the garage addition, the lean-to, the trailer, under this tarp or that tarp, stashed in the back seat of the truck because I ran out of room in the garage and whatever - I can FINALLY get things in place and get back to work. I'm really close! I have the small bench almost cleared off again, the solvent tank is in place and ready, I'll try to get the blast cabinets working again this weekend and then even if the stuff is stacked to dangerous heights and it's trouble getting from the door to a bench, I can get back to the shelves of alternators and starters I MUST get done ASAP. No way I'll compromise quality so I have to get things to where I can do it right at least, but like my wife said - stuff will just have to sit in boxes and stacks, at least it's inside, so I can get these things done for others. Priorities, my stuff will have to wait.

-------------

Posted By: Wrambler
Date Posted: Jan/15/2016 at 12:43pm
My problem besides the health issues is I simply do not have enough indoor space.
I was going to by a 14X24' prebuilt garage/shed and my wife talked me out of it.
It was about $7,000 blocked and delivered, but built well enough my American could be parked in it and the lawn tractor.
  Instant room with little to no work on my part. I live on a hill and real buildings get expensive real quick.
We plan on moving when we retire in about 5 years, so I'm hesitant to get too carried away. I just want to get the place nice come sale time!
   My son had his sinus opened up when he was 3 yrs old as he had constant infections and an MRI showed the ones in his fave totally full! The doctor asked for permission to use the video to train with and said it was probably the worst case he ever did.
    My Luke is now 23 and has never had another sinus infection. You'll get there!

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Jan/16/2016 at 6:46pm
[QUOTE=Wrambler]   

Five years is a long time, sure add some value to your place when you sell it. Good out building is money in the bank, in 5 years it will cost more.

I don't think you can build a big enough shop. I started with 2500 and added 800 sq ft. Heck, I could use more....

Played with my Rambler today so I am having fun.
Ollie

Date Posted: Jan/19/2016 at 1:47pm
Saturday was extremely frustrating and pretty much a total bust after doing battle with the cell company over Internet service and equipment - mostly equipment. We, for the 2nd time in the last month or so, totally lost Internet. Frustrating when you had planned on doing some of the tax work online (sales tax, they REALLY want you to do it online)
That battle to 2 stores took pretty much all of Saturday if you count I also had to reconfigure my network equipment, DVR and other devices to make them play together again - and even after all that the replacement router lacks some features I had been using so I wasn't a happy camper at all Saturday - then Sunday I was feeling sick - I suspect the nose/sinus issues helped lead to it but I did everything I could to try to keep things from getting worse and it seemed to have helped.

Anyway, I've been dealing on the tools and equipment and my wife called me Friday AM and said "Donna called and said Art said to come over about 2 today". Yikes - That means take off from work, drive home swiftly, change clothes, get bundled up a bit as it's COLD, toss some stuff into the truck, just in case, and head out. Barbara took off from a quilting day to come help.
As it turns out, not a huge deal as he wasn't ready with the boring bar and accessories quite yet but did get the hone and brought it home and talked further about his big set of micrometers, library of books, cam bearing tools and a couple of other odds and ends.

The hone has some brand new, still in boxes, never been used parts with it and quite a few other pieces. Someone along the way added the belt guard which I may find cumbersome, in the way and decide to remove it. Otherwise, he had made a decent stand for it, with casters and had made a cover for the oil reservoir so that one could remove the tray but keep the oil covered to keep bugs and gunk out.

I'm looking for a manual for this thing - it's got a couple things I don't recall being familiar with when I was learning on these. That was years ago and I suspect I learned on a different model or models, possibly, but in any case, hope to find a rare manual to go with it.

Otherwise, other than TRYING to keep my nose under control and keep from having the cold dry air cause bad headaches, haven't gotten that much accomplished. It took some doing to get this unloaded from the truck and get it into the shop with things in disarray. I have a plan now for 2 areas to get stuff put away so I can get back to work.

1 = cover for oil reservoir when the tray is removed,
2 = belt guard someone added long ago.
Oh, and it has been repainted gray from the original Sunnen red. I prefer the red so some day or maybe more realistically, some year, it may end up "Sunnen red" again. But that's down the road since there's too much else to do right now.

Dang I can't recall what this attachment was for. I need the crazy book I guess, if I can ever find one. Been all over eBay and such on my breaks and time between waiting for computers and servers and such to do their thing.  -

Some new parts -

The removable tray -

-------------

Posted By: Ruby loye
Date Posted: Jan/24/2016 at 6:47am
Well I recognise the AMC's and a great deal of the parts, but some of that stuff I have no idea what it is. I must say however one impressive garage space, I am fortunate to find any tool at any given moment well done sir. Hopefully I can get back to my man space when it gets a little warmer...

Mark

Date Posted: Jan/24/2016 at 8:46am
Admit it there just big boy toys. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 1:30pm

Admit it there just big boy toys. 

Yeah, good one. True that.

I'm going to TRY to get caught up (HAHAHAHAHA) on messages and such later today as well but thought I'd toss in some photos of the new "toy" I picked up last Friday.
Gee, I thought Friday was going to be free and open to get something done, maybe put some things away but then Barbara says I got a call........ and it was assumed I was going to pick up the next item....... and so I get the pickup emptied and head over and get the boring bar.
Holy cow that TABLE is HEAVY. I know the boring bars are heavy - portable is sort of a joke unless you are the Hulk or something but the table...... the casters themselves weigh several pounds each. I know, they were sticky due to sitting and non-use. He had the table in place and didn't move it in recent years, instead doing smaller projects with the boring bar left on the table and the table left in place. I had to remove the casters, clean them up, lube them and 3 needed new "axles" due to wear, the wheels were hitting the caster body and rubbing as they turned.
I had to hoist the table up to get the casters back into the table legs. My engine hoist acted like it had a full V8 hanging from it.

And FINALLY, I made some progress putting things away! I now have a clear walkway! I can enter the door and walk past the east shelves and not have to squeeze next to the Javelin just to slip by into the rest of the shop.
I need to do the same now for the west side, and get the blast cabinets cleaned up and operational and in place again.
THEN finally I can get back to alternators.......... which have been on hold with no blast facilities, and inability to get to the bench and/or find TOOLS required.
But I feel better just a bit now because I can see progress, there's a solid plan for the next step or two and that gets me at least back to work - and I can put other things away in between projects.

Well, there's still clutter on the book shelves until I get that stuff either put away, or whatever is going to happen with it, but hey, I can get to this stuff and the shelves are now holding stuff instead of the FLOOR holding it all in stacks between the car and the shelves.

Yes, there's some empty spaces - not everything that belongs here is here yet. But then there's also some space for some of the stuff that was on the Eagle side of the shop, and hopefully space for the parts that no longer have a home in a certain blue cabinet as there's no room to put it back up!

This is where I work on the alternators/starters, etc. - and as you can see, well...... this is next.

And I can't yet get the blast cabinets back in place - shelves to finish in that closet under the stairs area, stuff to move or put away here so I can get cabinets back to the air supply and filter.
And with all the dealings with my sinuses and nose passages, DUST control is a must - so, I have to configure new/better dust control. Ugh, something more to do before I can even get back to work and use these things. But I'm told I'll have troubles if I don't try to deal with the dust, so.....

This smaller cabinet - bead blasting, is at least in the open so I can clean it up and get it going again. I had to put some stuff away and organize some things before I could even stand next to this - now I can walk most of the way around it.

The latest tool to enter the shop - holy crap, look at that bench back there. Yikes. Uh, no, please don't look, how embarrassing! Foreground only, ignore the background, ok?

This came with the boring bar - to hold V8 blocks in place.

Now I need an AMC torque plate............

The home-made belt guard was taking up room and sort of in the way so I removed it, won't need it in my shop anyway. This makes the hone take less space in the shop, not having that guard sticking back there.

And I rigged a place for that tray to hang so it wasn't in the way, freeing up more floor space hanging it snugly on the side here.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 2:02pm
Very nice Bar, Had a Vulcan/Storm but ended up selling it, never had the chance to use it and had to make some room. Funny but the one I had came from the same dealer that I worked at for 30 years. Found out that the owners son took it back in the 70's and sold it to a local Machine shop. At the time they thought the body shop manager stole it, When I bought my Lathe at the local closed down Napa the owner Joe and I got into a conversation and I mentioned the boring bar, He told me that Billy (dealers son) tried selling it to him but he new he swiped it. Very small world. The one I had actually mounted on the engine and it was still in the original shipping crate with the bill of sale in a leather pouch. When I worked at a Linc/Merc store in Ohio they were throwing a Engine stand away because it was old and hard to move around. owner gave it to me and I lugged that thing around since 1979.  Ended up selling it on Ebay. It weighed as much as an engine and was 100% cast iron. It was made for the Ford flathead blocks and mounted to the side of the engine instead of the back trans area. wish I could keep every thing but just don't have the room anymore, I do like your shop layout but before you know it it just seams to get smaller and smaller.

-------------

Posted By: 3904speed
Date Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 2:19pm
http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/3904speed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3F05B834-1520-426F-B4AE-F1EA3019C11F_zpsvrjzrq4r.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]
CCA makes a nice torque plate!
Tools are good !

Date Posted: Jan/28/2016 at 7:38am

Very nice Bar, Had a Vulcan/Storm but ended up selling it, never had the chance to use it and had to make some room. Funny but the one I had came from the same dealer that I worked at for 30 years. Found out that the owners son took it back in the 70's and sold it to a local Machine shop. At the time they thought the body shop manager stole it, When I bought my Lathe at the local closed down Napa the owner Joe and I got into a conversation and I mentioned the boring bar, He told me that Billy (dealers son) tried selling it to him but he new he swiped it. Very small world. The one I had actually mounted on the engine and it was still in the original shipping crate with the bill of sale in a leather pouch. When I worked at a Linc/Merc store in Ohio they were throwing a Engine stand away because it was old and hard to move around. owner gave it to me and I lugged that thing around since 1979.  Ended up selling it on Ebay. It weighed as much as an engine and was 100% cast iron. It was made for the Ford flathead blocks and mounted to the side of the engine instead of the back trans area. wish I could keep every thing but just don't have the room anymore, I do like your shop layout but before you know it it just seams to get smaller and smaller.

The boring bar is a Van Norman 777. A lot of machinists that hang out in the machinist type forums and other places still really like them for accuracy, versatility and so on. Over the past year or so I've seen quite a few times where someone came into one of their forums and said "I have chance at a xxxxxx, what do you think" and the responses always included "I have one........." or "I used one for years in the shop and you can't beat them......." and so on. I've yet to see/hear anything negative unless it's perhaps someone saying they have a model or two larger with longer stroke or whatever. That's the only time I've ever seen anything that wasn't very positive - when someone said they needed to do a longer bore, but often those guys had a 777 AND a larger one - or even two!
They have the "cat paws" that run in the bore and help keep things straight, and this one has all that would have come with it. The tool set is complete as well as we could figure - except for the piece that helps pull the cutter out of the bar - Art made the one seen in the picture with the long hand hold area, normally they simply had a loop for holding while you hooked the cutter and pulled it out. I've got some photos of the original tool IN the box so I can extrapolate the correct original size fairly close and will some day (HAHA) duplicate one that fits into the spot in that box for that tool.
Some comments I've seen included "few can bore a straighter hole than the Van Norman" so I felt ok getting it.

It's mounted on that table so you can bore motorcycle cylinders, small engines - things other than or smaller than auto engines. Otherwise, it's "portable" - yeah, right, ok, that means my table saw is a portable saw, too, right? At about 600 pounds ya just haul it down the stairs and toss it into the pickup and take it to the construction site. Fine....... it only took 2 guys to get the cast iron top up the stairs.   LOL  This bar is portable if you have a nice beam in your shop and a chain hoist on a trolley, I suppose.
Anyway, the idea was that you could strip an engine down leaving the block in the car, set the bar on the block and bore it where it sat.   If I still had my F20 tractor that would be good as I could pull the top and bottom off and set the bar on the block and bore it right in the frame. (not that it needed it, the engine was physically very sound)
But you note Art had made that V-block of sorts to hold the engine blocks, he set the blocks in that V-block, pulled the boring bar off the table and mounted it on the engine block to bore.
He said the last he did with this were Chevrolet 400s and so on, 4"  and similar bore sizes. (he's a corvette person) But he also had that table with mounting provisions on the bottom of the steel plate to mount smaller blocks as he did a few of those for people.
It runs and it's smooth and quiet, but then he always took decent care of stuff. (example, the valve grinder that looks almost show-room new). 

Thanks for the torque plate tip - Their torque plates are pretty decent looking - I mean looks like they are well designed and made, ok, and decent looking in that they'd also make good, although not cheap, WALL ART.  Those are worthy of having out on display.

No pictures yet but I did make a bit more progress last night. It was rough - this morning is rough, as I went through the beginning step of the next phase of my nose/sinus/breathing passages treatments and fixes. Ugh, nasty stuff and I've got a bloody sinus headache that makes my skull hurt...... she said "that will pass and you'll be starting to breathe easier and better soon". Hope you are right, doc! This is distracting and slows me down a lot and I hate taking that much pain meds and constant antibiotics to make sure things don't get infected during this process. I feel like a farmer's livestock being fed antibiotics every day "to prevent......"
Anyway, I actually cleared a few feet of floor space where the blast cabinets belong (for now, until I can afford and have time to make a dedicated blasting and powder coating room by enclosing the lean-to next year)
Since dust is a huge problem - and a huge problem for the cars and other stuff in the shop, I've got to do even better with dust control than I was doing with the buckets before.
I have done a ton of reading and it seems like maybe my shop vac was TOO strong and pulling water out of the one bucket. It's a balancing act, for a cyclone type dust and debris "sorter" as I call them, you need to keep air speed up - but not so much you make the stuff that's settled air-born again. And too much will splash the water when using a water bucket (sort of like a Rainbow vacuum system used to use) and end up pulling water into the vacuum making a mess.
I'm going to try a multiple-phase system - a cyclone type right outside the blast cabinet, then hose that into the bucket that is supposed to trap finer dust in the water, then to the vacuum - perhaps using bags instead of just the cheap paper filters with a foam sleeve. The really fine dust went right through the shop vac, sort of like sheetrock dust does - it takes special bags and filters for that stuff as it will blow right through any other vacuum. If that isn't enough, I'll add a second water bucket running through the cyclone, then two water buckets in series, THEN the vacuum with a filter bag. But for now am trying the cyclone and 1 water bucket.
If all else fails, I will get cheapie vacuums on sale and make sure they have air-out ports and bore a hole in the wall and vet the vacuum out the wall to the outside. I hate to put a hole in that wall, things are so well insulated, but if I can't take care of dust otherwise, not sure what else to do.

So, once the blast cabinets are in place, the dust system plumbed and all set up, then I go over to the west wall and put things away on shelves there to clear off the small alternator bench and FINALLY I can get back to working on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My goal - that will hopefully be THIS WEEKEND.

I've had folks sort of wonder "what's up and why is this taking so long and how come that isn't done or why are you so slow getting this back together and so on........ not many, but even 2 or 3 bother me so........ here it is:
My work days in my for-now real day job are 9 hours. Anyone here work an 8 or 9 hour day? Are you gone from home exactly 8 or 9 hours? Didn't think so.  I leave at 6am - unless weather is bad or I need gas, then I leave at 5:40 AM. I get back home IF I don't have to pick up one of the multitude of drugs all these "doctors" have me on, about 5:00 PM. If I have to make a stop that could change to, well, like it was a couple of days ago, 6:00 or 6:30PM.
Then it's nice to at least say "hi" to Barbara - and eat supper.  Not being 20 any more it's nice to have an hour or two of down time.
Then back out to the shop for a little while, perhaps there's an hour or two that evening if I'm lucky, then in, do paperwork or whatever, and to bed hopefully by 11 although the doctors insist I really need to be in bed by 9, 10 at the very latest.
Then up at about 4:30 AM the next day and do it all over again.  I've been TRYING to get to a class or seminar now and then related to what I do....... and like last Thursday, I left for work at 5:45 AM and got home at 8:30 PM. That left a lot of time for shop work. That'll happen today, too.
The weekends - sales taxes are due this weekend, and gotta this year try to get the income taxes sorted out before the deadline. Barbara likes to every so often go eat Chinese so every 2nd or 3rd Saturday we try to do that. It's about the only times we really are out and about and not working, etc. So if I'm not unplugging a drain pipe using a long drill-powered snake like I was last weekend, or scooping snow, that sort of thing I can generally get a good day, maybe day and a half in the shop.
It's safer to say I don't really have or get much, if any, shop time week days thanks to work and home chores and being totally exhausted doing the work of 3 or 4 people through the day.
Weekends are hit and miss..... anyone with family knows all about that HAHA - if you own a home, unless you hire every little thing done, well........

Ah, but like Barbara says - hang in there, only about 390 days left until retirement and then things will get better.   That's one reason all the shop stuff is going on now and I'm doing everything I can to get it nice and usable, the equipment brought in and things in place. She says "get all this ready so it will be there when you retire".
I almost forgot - this week I've also been working with a company to turn her big quilting machine into a - and folks like Matt of Bulltear will appreciate this - a CNC machine. Yup - she's done hand-guided quilting for years with her various quilting machines she's had over the years, now she's wanting to add the ability to plug in a design/pattern and have the machine do it while she runs the embroidery machine or does her quilt piecing.
So I'm dealing with a company to get that capability added - they will add a tablet running Linux and their software, and the wheels that will make the X and Y axis moves as determined by the computer/tablet.   She's saved her pennies over the years for this eventual goal, she's worked her butt off for this and now she can finally make it happen.
So while you and I run our tools by hand - well, most of us, she'll be setting up the computer for what I call "CNC quilting".  (I know, a gross misuse of the terms)

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/02/2016 at 2:21pm
Did make some weekend progress - good thing since yesterday was a bust. Left early (5:45am) to get gas with the storm predicting up to a foot of snow (since revised down to 5 or 6") and then getting home at 8:30pm. So no time outside at all Monday, bummer.

Good progress although it was quite slow due to the testing, fitting, checking/testing and all involved - and trying to think it through logically.
The bead blasting is set up and ready. The other media blasting, not so much. It may be a gun problem - it's a cheapy that came with the cabinet from Northern Tools but I've used it for a few years so can't complain too much. It really doesn't pull media and it has very little impact on either paint or rust, even light rust, or what we in Iowa consider light rust! HA
I tried the black stuff, not much luck, then tried the steel filings I found recommended on a blasting site, not much good there and extremely expensive! It sounded really good as described, but it just doesn't hit the piece with any real impact.
The same air supply, pressure and all do GREAT in the bead blasting, though, so I can't blame the air supply really. So maybe I need to look for a decent quality gun for the cabinet - suction type, of course, in this case.

Anyway, dust being an issue - dust inside blocking the view of the progress and dust getting into the shop making a mess with that dust and grit and crap all over everything, including CARS and tools.   Then there's my sinus issues...... so dust needed to be controlled, not an option as it's getting painful and expensive having my own head fixed  ;-)

I've used multiple means before, did tons of research, digging, exploring and learning way back but wasn't very happy with the results - and neither were any shop vacs I used. On a budget, this seems to work about the best of what I've done so far. In the future - when things move to a different room if I get the lean-to enclosed, I'll even route the vacuum exhaust out through the wall or window to get what may escape through the vacuum exhausted outdoors in case of really fine stuff getting through.

First, I hated having to take the hose connection off one cabinet and moving it to the other when I changed gears, so to speak. It was simple enough, but a pain. So I opted to plumb the exhaust from each cabinet out to a T and go from there.
I used the mill and cut a small channel in one of the fittings so I could use a plastic slide to block off the larger cabinet when using the bead blast cabinet. Will do similar on the bead cabinet but for now will simply block the passage inside the cabinet to make sure only one is evacuated at a given time.
The exhaust then goes into a "cyclone" separator where the bulk of the dust and debris that's "in the air" in the cabinet will be trapped and drop into a bucket. And it's a LOT. Doing just one part of an alternator frame for a test showed a whole lot of stuff gets pulled into that cyclone and drops out.
From there the air goes into a bucket that has a long pipe going straight down - which terminates about 1" above 2" of water in the bucket. The idea is that the dust and particles have mass - and thus inertia - and will want to keep going straight and hit the water while the air can change direction and go back up to the other port at the top.
I did a test and was still getting more in the vacuum than I wanted, so I got another bucket and made another such system to hopefully catch more. I think though that the water isn't wet enough.
Has anyone here seen what happens when water runs into or onto the dust from a typical vacuum cleaner? It BEADS UP. The dust doesn't immediately get wet! So, I wonder if a little antifreeze might help make the water wetter so the dust sticks to the water instead of bouncing off. Sort of break the water's surface tension?
Any thoughts or opinions??
Well, I put another water filter bucket in series, then to the vacuum. LOL - then I got crazy and added a similar setup to the vacuum's exhaust. That one I actually stuck the pipe slightly into the water. I cut an angle on the pipe and the pipe is just below the surface so the air actually blow out more across the surface of the water in that last bucket. From there I'd take it outside through the wall or something - if I really want to CUT A HOLE in the wall............... ugh. Might wait for the lean-to to be enclosed in a year or two.
In any case, after blasting a couple of starter drive ends there's very little at all in the vacuum itself.
Time will tell.
I found that teeny little vacuum was too much for the standard factory vent in the cabinet - so had to cut a hole in the side. I did this opposite the exit side so the air movement would go across left to right, helping to clear the air more easily. I put a filter in place to ensure that it didn't let dust out should there be not enough vacuum. That still was a bit much, the air movement was so fast that the gloves still pulled into the cabinet quite a bit with the vac on so I drilled holes in one of the pipes and can slide a hose back and forth to adjust the release of vacuum if or as needed. Also if the velocity is too great, the cyclone will not work as well as the high wind speed catches some of the debris back into the flow and it exits out instead of staying put.
It will be a balance - enough to cause the dust and debris to be spun out and/or slammed into the water, but not so much that the dust can't ever settle out, or that the wind picks water up and carries it into the vacuum.

The big deal about this is that now it's just a matter of getting the rest of the tools and parts dug out and accessible, and enough stuff put away to clear off the bench I use for starters and alternators - and that means likely this coming weekend I'll be to the point far enough along I can start working on those again!!!

An over view -

Closer view - out of cyclone into first white bucket, close to the water, back out to the green bucket, close to the water, then out to the vacuum.
From vacuum through blue hose into the final bucket.

I used the mill and cut the notch for a white acrylic sliding valve of sorts.
I got tired of moving one connection back and forth so T'd into a single hose from both cabinets allowing me to leave both connected.

The high-quality billet air filter cover. (*billet Masonite??)

The elbow (black) keeps the blasted beads from directly entering the air being pulled out. Sort of minimizes it instead of allowing the beads to get blasted directly into the exhaust hole.

The hole I cut to let air in - even with this the gloves pull in more than just a little when the vac is on.  That little thing has quite a pull.

The little vac hangs right on the end - and it lifts off the bracket so if I want to use it elsewhere really quick, it's simple to just pull the hoses and unplug it, lift and go.

-------------

Posted By: Rodney Schultz
Date Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 10:41pm
Bill, so glad I stumbled into this section of the forum tonight. I had been wondering what you were up to these days, and missing your frequent posting elsewhere (even though you did say that you would be scaling back...)

Excellent progress on your shop space! Glad to hear that you are recuperating as well as can be expected, and that your wife is still your biggest cheerleader.

Blessings on your continued journey to retirement. It is great that you have a plan and are working the plan to get there. I know of too many people that get there and say "now what?"

Anyway, just needed to chime in, and I'll be checking back now that I know where to find you!

Rodney

-------------
'78 Gremlin... The never ending project... But we will succeed!

Date Posted: May/02/2016 at 2:38pm
Ugh, time - is that available at Amazon, or online somewhere? Anyone sell it by the bottle?
I had to stop trying to get things ALL put away and finished. I gave up on the south half, save for the blasting area, which with any luck will move to a different room when I enclose the lean-to next summer (hopefully, anyway).
I got into alternators again - and realized, dang, where are all of those parts? I looked everywhere. I know I had them boxed up and stashed away, and was SURE I'd brought all boxes back in from under the tarps and from inside the back end of the garage, but after digging through every box I had taken back into the shop - at least twice, I was unable to find any of the NOS alternator parts as well as some NOS wiper and starter parts. Not tons of them, but enough I wasn't happy that I couldn't find them. I needed them! I had 3 alternators on the bench I needed those parts for ASAP.
My wife pointed out that the 73 had a flat tire - and I was checking to order a new master cylinder and just making sure the car really DID have drum front brakes, and checking the tire sizes, and to get down next to the car and look under it and at the tires with a flashlight I kneeled down and put my hand on a couple of boxes stacked next to the car.......... crap. There's those parts.
So putting those away recently I noticed that many had part numbers crossed out on the boxes. They had been reboxed generically and labeled with computer printed labels but the numbers wre crossed out in pencil and pen. I had originally sorted them out by part number - talking about diodes, negative and positive. I had a BAAAD feeling - there's a reason someone did that years ago. Sure enough, when I opened each sealed box I found that I did not have nearly equal numbers of pos and neg diodes, what I really had were nearly ALL positive diodes - for 71 and later alternators. Great, so now what? I thought I had several dozen of others and instead almost all are later model positive. That means I have almost no 70 and earlier positive diodes and fewer negatives than I figured. So now I must find a source for Motorola diodes. Good luck with that.
I got those boxes emptied, relabeled the diode boxes properly, with correct numbers - both AMC and Motorola numbers (which are simple - 1-2, 1-1, 1-5, 1-6 and so on)
The bead blasting setup works pretty well so far - will see how well that cheapy small vac holds up but the bucket system seems to be catching far more than any prior setup I'd ever had.
My big bench is still stacked so full of "stuff" that things tend to fall off now and then, and the SW corner of the shop is filled with things not put away, but I have what is needed to get something accomplished. I must find some space for the plating supplies and equipment, though.
At this point I still can't plate anything. It was a mess before - and a steel bench doesn't hold up well with the acids and other chemicals, lye, etc. so not sure how to handle that. Need something to support buckets and tubs of solution.
Before I can do much more with alternators and wipers and starters I have to be able to do at least basic plating. (or find a source to have it done until I can find TIME to get it set up again.
Speaking of time - I had contacted my friendly neighborhood concrete guy about ripping up and redoing the shop approach - and he said he'd call me a couple of days before he was ready to start.
Yeah, he stopped by late last Sunday, a week ago, and said he was coming by the next day to start. Wonderful, SCRAMBLE to find places to put vehicles as it would be a week before being able to get in and out of the shop once he started.

You can't really tell in these but when this approach was ripped out, I found out what a crappy job the other guy had done on the floor and approach - the floor was supposed to be 4" thick, it made a whopping 3.5 and then was only 3" in spots. I bet I got a yard of concrete stuffed under the floor, especially at the corners of the shop, to fill the VOIDS there. No wonder the floor had settled badly on the west side. The front corners were pretty hollow under them, but not any more.
there went a day of vacation - and other time as well, I had intended on spending on other things in the shop.

The NEW approach is 6" - a full 6", compared to the supposed to be 4" that was really 3 to 3.5" before. We also took a lot of the slope out of it, and there's a drain in part of it now.

These show how much the approach was raised, especially on the west end, where the other guy had a really crazy drop in it. The bottom of the new approach is a bit above where the top of the other had been. The old was almost even with the ground on this end - and you see how much this stands proud of the ground here.
They brought in 2 truck loads of fill - recycled asphalt, to build things up.

I have more of the shop inside, tools and equipment, etc. but may spend later tonight trying to get caught up on a couple dozen PMs!

Retirement 11 months and counting....... then full-time into restoration and repair.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net