Forum Description: What makes it stop, turn, and smooths the ride
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32612
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 12:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: tilt column rebuild
Posted By: 1970390amx
Subject: tilt column rebuild
Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 12:54am
Here is the victum, its out of a full size jeep. I chose it because it was cheap, 35$ at a you pull it yard. 10$ off because the knuckle was loose. Oh ya it had a tan leather wheel on it also. I already pulled it off I hope everyone knows how to that.

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Replies:
Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 12:56am
I bought this set of tools for 80$ and it has every thing you will need in the way of special tools for this job.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 1:00am
This shows the lock plate remover depressing the lock plate so the snapring can be removed. I usually move the snap ring clear up onto the tool and leave it there. Its hard to loose it that way.

-------------

Posted By: billd
Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 6:56am
Good point - that's why the tool is shaped how it is - to hold the snap ring, and a perfect taper and transition back into place later.
Are you SURE everyone knows how to properly remove the wheel? Some aren't sure of the horn "button" or center cap.....

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Posted By: 71SC360
Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 7:18am
I am rebuilding a tilt from a Camaro. I am actually only using the top portion of the column to replace the top portion of an AMC column that was a column shifted, to rebuild it as a floor shifted model. One thing to point out is all of the different internals that are used on the tilt column. There are many parts that can't be switched between a tilit and non-tilt column, besides the obvious...

Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 8:28am
After the snap ring is off the lock plate can b removed. This gives access to the horn contact ring and turn signal switch. The spring shown loads the bearings in the upper part of the column. Bumpson the back side of the horn ring along with the two small silver springs in the turn signal switch are what cancel the turn signals. The two springs often brake and can be replaced separately.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Are you SURE everyone knows how to properly remove the wheel? Some aren't sure of the horn "button" or center cap.....
I guess you have a point, If any one has any questions on this subject let me know and I will do my best to answer them. At this point I have not put anything together and more pictures would be easy.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 6:57pm
After the turn signal assembly is removed you can remove this small plastic piece,( on cars equipt this piece rund the buzzer to tell you that the key is in the ignition) its shown installed and removed on the bench. It has a metal spring piece with it that falls off and is difficult to tell how it goes once it comes apart. On this column under this plastic piece is a screw that holds in the ignition tumbler assy, and three larger screws that hold the upper housing to the lower knuckle.

-------------

Posted By: bigbadgreen
Date Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 7:28pm
Okay...you scared me off.who repairs these?

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 12:51am
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

Okay...you scared me off.who repairs these?
I guess I do, send it to me they really are not that bad to work on. If its just loose it means that the bolts that hold the knuckle on the rest of the column are loose, most shops will fix it no problem. For the most part it is the same as most GM columns are some mopar columns

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 12:54am
Too remove the upper cover the tumbler assembly must be out. As stated earlier this column uses a bolt to retain the tumbler. I will try to come up with a picture of the early style tumbler later.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 12:55am
This is the cover off showing the guts of the tilt knuckle You can see that the knuckle is way off center in this photo, its caused by the bolts that hold the knuckle onto the column being loose.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 1:01am
With the cover off you can remove the spring that loads the tilt mechanism, I use a screw driver. Quarter turn and the cap and spring come out. Shown upper center is the tilt pin remover installed to pull the pin out, there are two of them.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 1:09am
With the pins and spring removed you can install the tilt lever and pull on it and the black part shown will lift off. Pay attention to how the rack fits into every thing. The rack is shown still laying on the lower part of the knuckle, disengaged from the pinnion

-------------

Posted By: amcrules00
Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 5:24am
I think my '73's key tumbler is held in place with a pin instead. Other than that, looks the same to me.

Posted By: sidewinder
Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 8:05am
If this all looks like too much there is a place in Rochester NY called "stolenandrecovered.com" that repairs and rebuilds columns.   His name is Doug and he's a great guy to work with.  He repaired my tilt and was fast and reasonable. 

Chuck Page 

-------------
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Posted By: bbgjc
Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 9:15am
Here's a few tips. 
The tail from the ignition switch/key tumbler is a AMC specific part. The metal rod that goes into the ignition switch/mounted on the column. . They are just a little longer than those used on Non Tilt versions AND GM vehicles. I'm working from memory, but I think the GM cars had 6 teeth and AMC used 7, or vic versa.  

Also, Tilt and Non-Tilt ignition switches are different, so don't mix them up.

The key buzzer is different from tilt and non tilt versions.

I have/had complete rebuild photos of both types, BUT the first computer was stolen, then dropped and I haven't been able to get anything out. Then, the MAC hard drive died. So, I', going to look thru the digital cards and HOPE I've got photos.

Always make back upsOuch

Great thread thus far, Thanks!!!

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 6:46pm
If nothings broken in your column this is about as far as you will need to tear it apart. The most common proble is that there are 4 bolts that hold the lower part of the knuckle into the column and they come loose, 2 of them can be seen in this photo, take them out one at a time and locktite them back in place. In order to remove this piece you need to remove the center shaft from the column. Its held in by the bearing at the lower end, take the bearing out and the shaft will pull out.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 6:51pm
The upper part of the column will twist and come off fairly easy. Tis gives you better access to the bolts to tighten them. Pay attention it will fit two ways when you put it back on only one is right. On the end by the threads it has a small mark that should be up, it aligns with a mark on the steering wheel.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 6:59pm
If you take the lower bearing out of the column the center shown to the right of picture will come out. With the steering shaft out and the four bolts out the base to the knuckle will come off

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:01pm
This is the lower bearing and is heal in by a snap ring, this bearing has a crack in it about 10 o'clock.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:04pm
next on the upper end of the column is a snap ring and two washers that sandwich a thick plate with holes in it. Taking this apart will let you remove the tube inside the outer shell and the lower pot metal piece that the shifter mounts to.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:09pm
This is a close up shot of the steering shaft and the shifter shaft, notice how both are two pieces. They are made to colapse in an accident so you don't impale yourself on the column. I have seen the shift part come apart and the shifter will move but nothing at the bottom of the column moves.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:13pm
I am going to try and replicate an AMX tilt column when this goes back together so I need to modify the lower part of the column. here is that piece with the shifter boss ground off and the hole soldered shut.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 7:15pm
This is that same area ground smooth, it will need a little finish work but not much

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 12:24am

Life has been busy but here goes putting this back together. The black outer column support is clamped in the vise by the mounting bracket. In front is the inner piece that the shifter connects to if it has one. The upper right shows the lower outer cover. its the piece that would have the shift lever coming out of if column shifted. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 12:30am

This shows the inner shift tube installed into the column support and the cover installed on the shift tube. This should be a slip fit, no pounding to get it to slide together.  

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 12:36am
The lower picture shows the next pieces to be installed. They need to be assembled as the tube is slid into the lower cover. The funny shaped piece with the bolt holes is difficult to get into place, it locks into place in groves in the outer support tube.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 6:49am
Anyone have a good source to buy the special tilt pin remover tool? THat's the only thing I need to finish tearing apart my column.

Great "how to" info!

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 9:17am

I can't see the switch below the "tilt" so just pull the wheel and you should be able to get to it. IIRC there are 2 switches 1 for tilt & 1 for non-tilt.

When I restored my 70 non-tilt the hardest part of it was snaking the switch wires back down.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Posted By: SCReplica
Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 11:20am
To remove the tilt pins without the special tool, you will need a 1/4" drive short socket that will fit over the top of the pin without touching it ( 3/8" or 7/16" maybe).  You will need a hex head 10-24 or 10-32 machine screw about an inch and a half long, flat washer,  and nut.  Test fit the screw by screwing it into the pin before going further  to assure you have the proper thread.  Make sure the tilt mechanism has been moved to its full tilted position to remove pressure from the pins.  Place the socket over the pin, screw the nut about 1" up on the screw, place the washer over the square opening of the socket, screw the machine screw through the washer and socket into the pin until it bottoms out.  Now tighten the nut until it pulls the pin out of the column.  Have used this several times and it works like a charm on non seized pins. 

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 9:29pm
This piece, the lower part of the knuckle bolts in next.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 9:42pm
It only bolts in one way, the plate under it must be installed correct or things don't line up correctly. If
your column is loose and the steering wheel moves around these 4 bolts are loose. If you are working on a column that is severely loose or has been loose for a long time this piece may be damaged. If the top of the of the column or this piece is damaged it might not center correctly. If that is the case the upper parts may not center on the lower parts and might look funny.  The four bolts are E8 reverse torx and I use lock tight on them to help keep them from coming loose again.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 9:56pm
This shows the inner most shaft of the steering column, the pars that connect the wheel to the steering box. If you have been following I am using a wagoneer tilt column to build this. The upper piece shown is out of a javelin non tilt column. The lower piece shown is the upper piece out of the jeep column. Each is piece is only half of the original shaft, they are a tight slip fit together they are difficult to get apart. They install from the bottom and top and slide together.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 10:07pm
This is the lower bearing and its retainer, it fits at the bottom of the column in the engine compartment. The are plastic and brittle. Lots of newer GM cars use what looks to be the same bearing,I'm not sure of a part number or if they are still avalable new.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 10:15pm
The upper part of the knuckle installs next, the spring sticking out is what loads the tilt mechanism and gives it its springy feeling. The retainer is fairly easy to push in and turn with a phillips bit screwdriver. So have I lost any body yet? Questions?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 9:23pm
Let me backup a few steps, in that upper knuckle are two bearings like this. The lower bearing has a inner race that is part of the shaft and the upper bearing has a separate inner race.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 9:34pm
This is a closeup of the upper knuckle and shows the black plastic pinion gear that is driven by the tumbler assembly. It drives the rack, it is the aluminum piece with teeth on it. Most of this does not need to come apart but can fall into pieces, take a good look at it before you tear it down.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 9:38pm

This is the rack out of the housing and shows a spring that loads the rack in the housing, you cant see it in the housing.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 9:51pm
This shows the lower and upper part of the knuckle together not assembled to the rest of the column. You can see how the rack interlocks with the rod that goes to the ignition switch. The rod has a small cast part that sits in a groove machined into the lower knuckle. To assemble the two halves you need to pull the tilt lever and slide the two halves together until the holes for the piviot line up.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 10:01pm
I have not been able to get pictures of this to show anything but a blur. But keep in mind that the lower part of a column only bolts to the steering box one way. The steering wheel only goes onto the upper stub shaft one way. The upper stub shaft of the column has a small notch cut into the end that must point to the top of the column on final assembly, it lines up with a notch cut into the steering wheel. If the notch is not right the wheel will be on upside down.

-------------

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

This shows the inner most shaft of the steering column, the pars that connect the wheel to the steering box. If you have been following I am using a wagoneer tilt column to build this. The upper piece shown is out of a javelin non tilt column. The lower piece shown is the upper piece out of the jeep column. Each is piece is only half of the original shaft, they are a tight slip fit together they are difficult to get apart. They install from the bottom and top and slide together.

I've got a tilt column barely apart right now and noticed the shaft that connects to the steering box has a splined shaft & coupler whereas the non-tilt column has one that isn't removable. The shaft on the one I'm working on is bent.

It looks like they're not interchangeable.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 1:24pm
To be correct they are not interchangeable. I used the lower half of the nontilt and the upper half of the tilt. Where I took them apart they are not meant to come apart at that joint. It is where they are meant to collapse if the car is in an accident. I your lower half is bent you will need to find a different one to rob that piece from. Or find the lower half of a shaft that fits your current column and it will work just not look 100% correct.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 4:39pm
Thanks for the reply. I've looked over your thread but still can't understand how to get the column apart at the pivot. The spring for the tilt is removed, just can't figure out how the top and bottom are hinged together. There is an insert on each side and it's threaded on the inside. Is it a left hand thread that needs a special tool will unscrew right handed?

-Steve-

Date Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 5:36pm
I believe you are talking about the pins that the column tilt on. Upper center of the picture is a tool shown installed that removes the pins. They are a press fit and pull straight out. I have heard some people find a bolt that fits and use a collar and washer with a nut to pull them out. You can rent the correct tool. hope this helps.

-------------

Posted By: apd6545
Date Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 6:24pm
You should not be afraid, I have rebuilt two of them, t & t one on my 70 vette, the other I picked up for my 70 Jav. Same people made both of them. In disassembling the joint: Take a tap in a vice grip and release and remove the spring cover and spring. use the screws that hold the turn single switch in and screw them into the two pivots, use a claw hammer and remove the pivots. Then use the tilt lever, open up the tilt jaws and take it apart. A way to approach it.   

-------------
apd6545

Date Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 7:02pm
Steve, If you plan on ever rebuilding another, buy the special tool. It's only about $5 or $6 and it makes things a lot easier and there's less chance of damage to the housing when you take out the pins. I bought the special tool off Amazon and have rebuild 4 columns since I purchased it. It's worth every penny if you do more than one column. 

Posted By: carnuck
Date Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 12:11pm
I just bought the pin tool yesterday. Wish I'd had it when my Comanche column was apart. I did it the hard way! 

-------------
Got an Eagle?
http://forums.amceaglesden.com" rel="nofollow - http://forums.amceaglesden.com

Date Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 5:24pm
I've got the cover off the column and the pins out (1970390AMX was kind enough to send me a pin tool). Does this nut holding the bearings need to be removed? What size is it? It's countersunk in there so a deep socket might be too thick to fit.

Thanks,
-Steve-

Date Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 6:19pm
Yup, it needs to be removed.. There's actually a special socket from Kent Moore (J-23193) to take off that nut. I found the socket on ebay for $20 shipped. I've been told that you can grind down a regular socket to make it thinner to get it to fit inside the well but I am a firm believer that the right tool for the job works best.

Date Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 6:36pm
Interesting, I just rebuilt one and mine does not have a nut just a bracket that compresses the upper bearing held in place by the heavy spring?

-------------
apd6545

Date Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by apd6545 apd6545 wrote:

Interesting, I just rebuilt one and mine does not have a nut just a bracket that compresses the upper bearing held in place by the heavy spring?

Early 70 was the last time that they used the nut...

Posted By: Joelfanti
Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 11:09am
I just took apart and cleaned my tilt steering column.  When I was done I found one single ball bearing on my table. It’s from one of the upper bearings.    The steering wheel works great now. Will it be ok missing one out of 30 bearings ?  I really don’t want to take it all back apart 

Posted By: Hashtag
Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 7:38pm
I would leave it as it is but then again, I don't use a seat belt .

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:52pm
You may notice a little extra play in the shaft

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Posted By: Joelfanti
Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:53pm
There’s no extra play. It’s tight 

Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:54pm
I dont think it will be noticeable. But I would fix it.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

I dont think it will be noticeable. But I would fix it.

I'd fix it too. I've made mistakes on a few of the 15 or 20 that I've rebuilt and always taken them back apart to fix my mistakes when I made them. failure is not an option, especially when I fix them..

Posted By: Carlmac369
Date Posted: Feb/26/2021 at 8:26pm
Some great info here in this thread.  I remember the first time I ever got inside one of those years ago.  Went in to tighten those bolts with no info whatsoever on it.  Swore I'd never do another one but ended up doing quite a few over the years.  They really aren't that bad.

Proper tools and information is the answer on this as well as any other job. Great write-up 1970390amx.

Posted By: BDCVG
Date Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Joelfanti Joelfanti wrote:

I just took apart and cleaned my tilt steering column.  When I was done I found one single ball bearing on my table. It’s from one of the upper bearings.    The steering wheel works great now. Will it be ok missing one out of 30 bearings ?  I really don’t want to take it all back apart 
Here's what I learned about this situation. I developed play in the column shaft and found a ball bearing on the floor. I ordered replacement bearings and comparing old to new the issue is the teflon/plastic retainer shrinks with age. With a new bearing the retainer and balls cannot fall out, the fit is that tight. 

-------------
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              

Posted By: billd
Date Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Yup, it needs to be removed.. There's actually a special socket from Kent Moore (J-23193) to take off that nut. I found the socket on ebay for $20 shipped. I've been told that you can grind down a regular socket to make it thinner to get it to fit inside the well but I am a firm believer that the right tool for the job works best.

Miller Detroit  C-4117 U 
TILT STRNG LOCK NUT    The wording is old and not so clear as it's been used a time or ten. Had to buff it a bit to find the tool number on it. I think that the middle word is STRNG as if to abbreviate it. 

Do a Google search - they are on eBay now and then.
I forgot that I even had this tool - it's part of the tool stash I got from my former boss years ago along with Kent-Moore tools. 

Likely you'll find the Miller Detroit version a whole lot easier to find than the Kent Moore version.

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Posted By: BBG69AMX
Date Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 7:25am
Thanks, 1970390AMX for a great write up!  While replacing the turn signal switch on my 69 AMX I found a lot of white sand in the column!  The car previously lived in Florida!  It was caked so I ended up taking the outer column off completely.  The upper bearings were full of sand.  Now I'm starting to put it all back together.  It's not a tilt column so that makes it simpler.  

Looking for diagrams.  Is the 69 column the same as GM?  I've heard Camaro or Corvette?  The SM doesn't have detailed diagrams so looking for pointers.  

Date Posted: Aug/02/2023 at 9:24am
I have a tilt column which I want to put in my 70 Javelin that I purchase on eBay.  I need the very top bearing which is missing, any Ideas I where I might get one.  thanks , By the way I want to thank those who sent pictures for my linage concern.  After 40 years of storage Waiting for one part and it could be back on the road. 

-------------
apd6545

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Aug/02/2023 at 10:38am
I believe the bearing in this kit will do the job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/364362076671" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/itm/364362076671

It doesn't say '70, but the internals of the '70 and up columns are pretty similar.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net