Print Page | Close Window

Pulled spark plugs to find the mis....

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114157
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 3:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pulled spark plugs to find the mis....
Posted By: 1958 rambler super
Subject: Pulled spark plugs to find the mis....
Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 5:41pm
Hi everybody, I'm trying to find out why the 195.6 is misfiring intermittently, I researched online and read there are three types of misfires.... intermitent or constant misfires in one cylinder, intermittent or constant misfires in numerous cylinders, and intermittent or constant misfires in adjacent cylinders, but the 195.6 is a inline six so the last catagory doesn't concern my problem... I tried spraying carb cleaner around the intake, thinking the flammable carb cleaner would increase the rpms, but it didn't increase, so I geuss there's no vacuum leaks around the intake, I also sprayed some right down into the carb and it almost killed the engine, so I don't know what that meens, I also tried the trick of pulling the spark plug wires one by one and seeing if sound of the engine changed and it sure did, each time, but the intermittent mis was still "cuffing" here and there.... The engines a rebuilt engine, I did the valve adjustment a couple months ago so I geuss the valves are fine, the coil is new, spark plugs are new, spark plug wires are new, the wire from the coil to the dist is good as far as I can tell, the dist cap isn't cracked, it has a new rotor and new points inside, the points are gapped correctly.... I'm sure the dist cap is turned to the right spot so the timing is good, but last time I tried to get it jjjuuuuussst right I noticed the rpms would rise higher and higher, should I disconnect the vacuum advance tube from the side of the dist to stop the rpms from rising and try again? Maybe the dist is worn out? It's the original delco Remy dist... This problem has been present with three different carbs on the engine by the way, the current one has a brass colored fitting near the choke that has vacuum suction at the fitting I can feel it when I put my finger over it, the engine does seem to run a bit better after its plugged, but the misfire is still cuffing here and there.
What do you guys think? 

Replies:
Posted By: rgsauger
Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 11:25pm
Look up how to set timing with a vac advance distributor.   Disconnect  The vacuum advance line from the distributor and put a plug in it so the engine does not have a vacuum leak. With the vacuum Advance disconnected check your base  timing and then advance the throttle to 2500 or so  to check your maximum timing and also the mechanical advance mechanism.  

Then reconnect the vac line and adjust the engine RPM down as needed  using the adjustment screw on the side of the carburetor linkage.  You always set timing with the vacuum advance disconnected.  

Posted By: rgsauger
Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 11:26pm
I prefer manifold vacuum source vs ported.  

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 11:47pm
Valves are very unlikely to cause an intermittent misfire. If bad enough (I'm sure they're not) you might have a repetitive lumpy idle, bump bump bump... or something. Mechanical things tend to not get intermittent subtlely. 

That leaves carburetor, or ignition...

Does this misfire happen only at idle? Or at speed? If you cruise steady flat and level 45 mph in 3rd, does it misfire then? How about wide open throttle? Or just idle.

Lean engines act badly. Rich engines are stupid and smooth and sluggish, drunk on fuel. So Back out the idle mix a turn or more see if it improves. If not, move on to ignition.

Is each electrical connection bright clean shiny metal tight enough to tug on, hard? No wires wrapped around screws with a nut and no washer? Crimped connectors you can pull the wire quite hard and it should not come out or wiggle.

Is the electrical connect to the points one of those craptacular "slide in" types? Or does it have a stud with a nut and captive toothed lock washer? The slip-on kind are CRAP. Blue Streak used to be good, are they any more? Dunno.

Wiring has to be good all the way back to the battery (power source). 

Spark timing can do weird things and even misfire, but usually there's other weird side effects. One way to ball-park it is to loosen and rotate the distributor 10 degrees one way, see if it improves/worsens, back to 0, then 10 the other. None of these are fixes, but tests. When all's well, it will definitely change RPM, but not much more. But if somehow timing is really off, making it worse might tip it over into bad misfiring or something. My estimation is that timing isn't the problem, and that you have an electrical intermittent (if we're taking bets).

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Jan/27/2022 at 1:23am
Double check or replace all spark plug wires and distributor wire again.  I had this same mystery years ago and a "good" spark plug wire turned out to be bad.  Drove me crazy but an easy fix.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: Jan/27/2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Double check or replace all spark plug wires and distributor wire again.  I had this same mystery years ago and a "good" spark plug wire turned out to be bad.  Drove me crazy but an easy fix.

Isnt it better to check first before filling the parts cannon?

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Jan/27/2022 at 11:08am
Easiest way to check for an ignition problem is to use a magnetic PU timing light on each ignition wire to see if the strobe is flashing consistently. Also rev the engine a little as some ignition problems only show up at cruise RPM's.
This is not checking timing, just using the light it to determine consistent spark to each cylinder. If you have consistent spark, you have eliminated this as a problem without replacing anything.
Takes 15 minutes. 

Posted By: wittsend
Date Posted: Jan/27/2022 at 11:31am
Yes, as mentioned a quick check in the dark for stray sparking can reveal a potential misfire. The darker the better but REMEMBER THERE ARE FANS, BELTS AND ACCESSORIES SPINNING AND ONE NEEDS TO BE CAREFUL. VERY CAREFUL.

The point gap should be .016. If the distributor is loose you should be able to  see it by holding the rotor and gently push/pull it in line with the lobe the points are open on. You should be able to notice movement at the points if the distributor is loose. Just be careful you are not rotating the rotor as this will cause the points to ride down on the lobe and gap will close giving the illusion that the distributor is bad when it might not be.

These are from my Glenn's manual 1958 settings. Get the engine warmed up and the idle set to the proper speed (450 RPM in Neutral). Note that in later years the idle was 550 RPM and may give a smoother idle.
 Disconnect the vacuum advance plugging the line to prevent a vacuum leak. Set the timing 5 degrees BTDC.
  This is important. If the timing is too advanced the RPM will drop when timing is set properly. Likewise if the timing is too retarded the RPM will increase when set properly. What can happen is what looked like proper timing or RPM shifted because the centrifugal advance is also advancing (or retarding) as RPM changes. It is a bit like a dog chasing its tail. So..., you have to set timing, go back and correct the RPM and do this a number of times until you get the proper RPM - at the proper timing.

I have often found what seems like a miss can be too high a fuel pump pressure (or too high a float level) and this causes fuel to splash out the vent and alter the mixture richness. Careful observation of the carburetor vent can reveal this.

-------------
'63 American Hardtop

Date Posted: Jan/27/2022 at 10:46pm
Ok, so to answer the question, does the miss happen only at certain rpms? No, it happens all the time. sadly, I have never been able to drive the rambler, I been working on it since dec7 2021 and still have yet to enjoy driving it, so no, the misfire is not happening  only at 3rd gear ect but at all times when the engine is running. 
I went out and bot a timing light and a vacuum gage, I'm happy I finally did it, 107$ well spent. So, following most but not all of your direction from your posts, I disconnected the vacuum from the dist and loosened the dizzy and turned it either way till I found a good spot where the engine seems happiest, but I didn't bother turning the screw on the carb, but anyways, it didn't make the miss get any better so I moved on, (man the engine sounds bad with the new YFA instead of the weber!! It sounded so happy, even with the miss) I used the timing light I bot, a simple inductive one with the flashing light that pulses with each electric jolt, and saw the following.... #1 cyl was pretty steady, maybe even completely steady unless I didn't notice a extra flash or double flash, #2 cyl seemed the same, #3 cyl steady with a extra flash here or there#4 the same as #3, #5 cyl completely crazy machine gun flashing, and #6 lots of flashes but not as nuts as #5, maybe steady but at a double pace, and the coil wire was the same completely crazy machine gun flashing, that's probably normal. I switched the #5 cyl wire with the #6 wire and nothing changed like I thought, and I even swapped out the new NGK plug wires with the super old wires that came with all the stuff for the disassembled rambler parts, and observed the same performance with the timing light. I even thought to see if the spark plug wires might be too close, but they seemed to have enough space apart... I set up the vacuum gage at the manifold and observed a steady vacuum of 20(?) so I suppose there is no vacuum leak according to what I saw, which was nice and interesting to exp.
I wondered if I should disassemble the dist to see if there was something wrong with it but changed my mind, thinking I don't know if the evidence really points to that action to take, so I opened it up and followed the suggestion to carefully wiggle the rotor back and forth being careful not to twist it and I found it to be steady and not wo ble back and forth, and the points were opened like you said and I didn't see any noticeable wobble, unless I missed it. After that I took a look to see if there was any obvious reason the #5 wire was lighting up like that, I looked and saw that the wire the coil attaches to and travels inside the interior of the dist was angled high up, and maybe it might be doing some weird electromagnetic conductive stuff to the #5 plug wire tower which was close by, so I carefully undid some of the fasteners and lowers it down, but it did nothing to change the problem or change the flashing rapid light seen when using the time light, also,  cleaned up some of the fasteners the coil wire attached to the dizzy, but lal the other ones are clean and shiny too, so nothing wrong there, and I checked and everything is all tightly secured together.. Lots of the wires are old, basically all of them, but I did extensive continuity testing as per trout Willy's advice with the multi meter and found all the wires to be healthy, so no problem there, all of the wires in the engine compartment and the dash got tested and had good continuity, except I didn't test the wires going back to the trunk and tail lights ect, but those workfine, I've seen the brake lights work ect ect, 
I checked to see if the points in the dist were gapped at the appropriate. 16and it was. 16, so nothing wrong there.
I tried googling why one cyl would give out a reading like that on a timing light but I got no good info to give me any answers.... 

Posted By: wittsend
Date Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 10:37am
It was wise to change wires and plugs and to check for separation. The wire internal to the distributor that you attempted to lower was it in the vicinity of the problem 5 and 6 distributor terminals? If so it might still be a contributor to the problem.

You might try looking at the inside of the distributor cap for a crack. They can be difficult to see some times. Make sure you have good light, use a magnifying device (close up reading glasses, a magnifying glass, etc.). If you can get some light pressure with opposing thumbs moving outwards it can sometimes help to open and reveal a crack if one is present. Work the thumb pressure around in difference locations.

Also observe the distributor cam. The lobes the points ride up on should all look the same. I have seen baked-on grease affect the point gap on a certain cylinder.

Do be careful how the inductive clamp is positioned. It might be picking up stray spark from other cylinders.

-------------
'63 American Hardtop

Date Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 12:51pm
Ok, I did notice when turning the cam lobe that at least one of the lobes has difference, a small difference in height, it seems to not raise the points as much... I used to timing light maybe five times, and did noticed it it was close to another wire it would flash more, so I was carefully about how close it was to other wires, I'll try looking at the cap again more closely for cracks especially around tower for the #5 cyl. Also, the wire I lowered does travel near those dist terminals, I'll look and see if I can find a pic of the lay out for the wiring internelas of the dost for clues. 

Date Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 8:10pm
I tried putting in a new primary wire, that's what it's called, I had ordered on awhile back but was sure it wouldn't work, since it was quite different from the one in the dist (it's hard to tell when your looking at a picture of the thing) so hadn't tried to use it, today I figured why not, see if it helps, but after I put it in (I had to drill out one of the holes on the little metal piece with the hole in it that goes over top a screw, and the new wire was shorter and I had to stretch it out and make it work, it def did not follow the same route as the old wire, and when I tried to start the car the engine cranked over but didn't start, then I remembered to Attatch the coil wire to the dist, then tried straying again, but the starting sounded like it does when your batt is almost dead, and the starter made that high pitched winging noise that disapates, likes its spinning with no resistance, so I unhooked the coil wire thinking I had interrupted something.... Not sure what, maybe the circuit? Maybe interrupted the ground to the engine through the dist somehow, and unhooked it and tried the key again and it went back to sounding like it did before, obviously not near dead batt.....I charged it up two days ago and had the engine running last night) Now I'm going to put the old primary wire back in and see if the dist works again.... I would like to say, that I looked in the tsm and saw that I had not positioned anything out of order.... Lal the wires had been layed out like the pictures in the tsm. Condenser wire under primary lead from coil ect ect.... There was one thing I noticed, when it described being careful about where you put the wire, (condenser under coil) but that was talking about a dist for a diff series of car and is not the same dist I have. I did notice the wire was touching the side of the interior of the dist, but it's insulated, so I don't think there's anything wrong there. I looked at the dist cap again for along time, and checked for cracks by pulling on it with both thjmbs like you said, but didn't see any cracks, and my neighbor gave me a magnifying glass and I used that with my headlamp, and still no obvious cracks, I even looked at scratches seeing if they only looked like scratches but could be cracks, saw no cracks.... Maybe tomj's right, maybe it's some wire somewhere..... 

Date Posted: Jan/28/2022 at 11:23pm
Got old wire back in dist, now I'm having trouble getting the engine to start, no matter which way I spin the dizzy it keep backfiring, but it's not a loud bang, it's a "piff" sound, and gas with soot in it sprays up out of the YFA carb. I geuss the spark plugs might be wet too? 

Date Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 1:56pm
I pulled the dist out and set the timing with rotor facing the #1plug tower four times, and checked carefully to make sure I had the firing order with the wires correct and I do. I definitely do. The rotor is facing the number one cyl plug tower, the wiring order to the cap is correct, I hear backfiring is usually a 180degrees off symptom, but there's no way the timing is 180 out. The base timing you do with the balancer and the whole #1 cyl on compression stroke business has already been established..... I checked the point gap when I put the old primary wire back in, other then the small change in point gap I noticed when I have the feeler gage handy and I turn the bottom of the dist to check, the gap changes at least twice, opening up a larger distance.... I cleaned off the cam lobe too, just to be sure there wasn't baked on grease like wittsend said, the points are new, but maybe the cam rider is all messed up somehow....I wonder what would happen if I put in the old points.... I kept them. I think I'm going to put the weber back on the engine, the only reason I took it off was because I thought it would solve my linkage problems, but I'll have to weld on another part to the linkage to make it work, but if I have to do that, I think I can fab up some other pieces and make some linkage work for the weber, since I have a welder machine now.... And since tomj told me what he did to make the throttle work even though the throttle lever rotates the opposite way, now I have a idea of what to do thanks to him.... And the weber is a way better carb, better built and I keep getting a bad feeling about this YFA carb...... 

Date Posted: Jan/29/2022 at 10:33pm
Wait a minute..... I think I have to reset the whole 5degrees btdc on a compression stroke scenario, I didn't think I would have to just because I took out the distributor, but I'm starting to think I do, when I imagine setting 5btdc and setting the rotor to send the electricity to cyl#1, and then starting the engine and it runs, and then taking out the dist and then putting it back in with the rotor facing someplace else, the electricity isn't going to be sent to cyl#1 anymore.... Holy sh#t.... Now I know why the engine won't start!!! Ureka! That understanding put a smile on my face! But the search for why the engine misses continues. 

Date Posted: Feb/17/2022 at 9:13pm
I learned something, and that feels pretty good! Now I understand I didn't mark where the rotor was pointing when I took the dist out of the engine... But now I know what I did wrong and I understand more then I did before, it's always a good day when that happens.
Anyways, not sure if anyone's following this post anymore, but I'd like to share what solved the misfire... 
At least I think the misfire is solved. 
Anyways, troutwilly suggested the dist cap must be arching and resulting in the inconsistent flashing on some cylinders, and rapid flashing on #5 plug wire seen when the timing light was used. I didn't think I could get a new cap, but after he suggested it, I thought, well, I'll try, I don't think I can get one the dist is so old, but I'll try. And when I did the parts guy was a old guy and he knew where to look in the book under the counter and said he had one on the shelf! Usually the young guys look on the computer and say "no man, our data base system only goes back to 1962..." and for some reason they don't know about the book under the counter.... Kinda annoying.... So I had a new cap, put that on, re organized 5degres btdc (troutwilly suggested I add even more advance and have it at 10degrees btdc, so I did that, or at least guessed, no timing tape or numbers on my balancer....) and made sure all the wires were on right as per firing order, and noticed something about the plug wire for #5.... The blue wire (ngk brand, if your having trouble visualizing this you could google image the ngk wire to see what I describe) and the black end that surrounds the spark plug had separated... It wasnt connected in any way that was sturdy and solid, it was only connected with clear silicone, one time when putting them on I must have wondered if it was on far enough, and pushed the black end too much and it broke the silicone seal that was holding them together....and the blue wire and black end were separated and the black part had been pushed farther down the spark plug, leaving the end of the blue wire that has the exposed wire inside that sends the juice to the spark plug tip far away from the tip of the spark plug..... And the next time I had put the wires on the plugs, they all looked the same, but the number 5 wire wasn't on the plug properly, I felt it and it must have been around an inch away from the tip of the spark plug for cyl #5.... Maybe this was also contributing to the misfire? Anyways, after putting on the new cap, and also fixing the situation with the spark plug wire, I started up the engine and used the timing light and didn't see any inconsistent flashing while using the timing light! The engine no longer shudders noticeably at the same exact time the "chuff" sound occurs, it's smooth, but I do notice the sound is still here or there, I'm not sure if the rusted out muffler is the cause of the sound... Probably not.... But I can't notice any inconsistent flashing while using the timing light on all the plug wires, it all looks to be firing correctly..... So just thought I'd post the results of the mission to fix this misfire. 

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Feb/17/2022 at 10:48pm
Excellent, yeah it's great when you figure out problems from a how-it-works direction.

If you have plug wires held together with silicone, you need to just replace them. YOu can harvest them from junkyards even, just make sure they're flexible, not cracked, and the boots and terminals are attached solidly. New ones are cheap.

Lots of cars used that distributor cap and that old guy new that, so win win. Even if you don't buy from rockauto.com it's a great source for identifying parts to buy locally, and to see what a reasonable price is.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Feb/17/2022 at 11:44pm
Dying to know how it drives after all your work!

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Posted By: troutwilly
Date Posted: Feb/18/2022 at 10:21pm
Tom,
So glad its smoothed out for you. 
I have to ask though, are you setting your timing with the timing light and balancer marks while the engine is running or are you setting your timing with just the balancer at 5* BTDC and turning the distributor so the rotor points to the #1 wire?  I ask because your description of what you've done leads me to believe you're setting it with the engine off.  If that's the case, you need to do it with the timing light and engine running.
And to clarify my 10* advance suggestion; recommendation for most stock engines is probably 6* advanced.  You can advance it more if you don't get any adverse running conditions (like pinging or fire through carb) but I wouldn't go farther than 10* on a stock engine.
Tomj, totally agree on using Rock Auto to reference prices and find part numbers.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Posted By: Softbuster
Date Posted: Feb/19/2022 at 6:19am
Good to see that you are back at it and making progress!
With a rusted out muffler you will hear a little huff once in a while as gasoline is not a perfect complete burn (especially carbureted engines)  ever see rally racing videos and the cars back fire out the exhaust?
Nailed that problem, whats next on the agenda?

-------------
85 Eagle sedan rescue project

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Feb/21/2022 at 7:45am
I'm glad you found the issue also! A cracked head will cause a "traveling intermittent misfire" as enough water gets pulled in to occasionally kill the spark. Usually more than one combustion chamber has cracks when this happens. I've never seen a cracked 196 head with cracks in only one chamber though. When it cracks there are multiples! It will run on for a long time with small cracks... right until it's finally run a bit hard (or overheated) and the cracks open up further!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Mar/03/2022 at 7:37pm
Tomj-thanks for the excellent compliment! 
trout willy- yes the engine has been running while setting timing but I didn't know there was a method to aiming the timing light at the balancer while twisting the dist.
Lakeside ramblr - I'm dying to finally drive this car too after all this work!!! Beleive me, I'm the one person besides you that's dying to know, when I do, ill let you know brother! 
Softbuster-  " what's next on the agenda?" well after figuring out the weld through primer situation, before I even knew about weld through primer I was using regular primer and paint, and watched it get destroyed thinking "huh, don't know what I'm supposed to do about that problem" yesterday I used "dominion seal" brand, and it was a copper type, and I calmly watched the heat from the welder blast it to holy helll, so now I'm going to try and use VHT brand, and go from there. I got lots more welding to do, "crazy fabricating" is what someone told me I will have to do when I weld the bottom part of the cavity, (weird double floor near end of drivers and pass side of floor) while lying on my back under the car outside, welding that close to my face for more then two hours at night was crazy. Hope I don't run into any more problems with the welding department, it's not a easy job. 
Farna- the head was magnetic partial checked for cracks but it was of course cold at the time, you mentioned cracks can be more noticeable when the cyl head is hot... Fingers crossed..... 

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Mar/04/2022 at 7:44am
If it was checked cold that's fine -- the magnetic process finds them even cold.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Mar/04/2022 at 4:25pm
Cool, well, I suppose this concludes the business surrounding this post's topic, thanks for all your advice guys!
-tom. 

Date Posted: May/08/2023 at 7:26pm
I've just re- read this and wonder why I'm now seeing the engine shudder again with what I think must be a misfire... and I was so happy to find the problem solved last year.. this car is burning me out.

Anyways, maybe the timing chain wasn't put on right by the engine builder and the valves aren't in sync? Just looking through my old posts for the sequence of which valves under which rocker arms are the intake and exhaust... 

Posted By: nickleone
Date Posted: May/08/2023 at 7:48pm
Rambler valves
int .012
exh .016
hot

FRONT  IE EI IE EI IE EI  REAR
        1  2  3  4  5  6

-------------
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes

Date Posted: May/08/2023 at 8:46pm
Thanks man, the tsm has a method for checking the timing chain by process with seeing the exhaust valve doing its thing at tdc, I'll work on checking that out, thanks again for posting the info for me... 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net