Print Page | Close Window

Carpet vendors

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113810
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 3:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Carpet vendors
Posted By: nudhistbudhist
Subject: Carpet vendors
Date Posted: Jan/01/2022 at 3:37pm
I've dug through a few pages, and I'm having trouble finding who people have been using to source replacement carpet. Currently building a spirit liftback, stock appearance is not important to me. Who would you recommend? 

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Replies:
Posted By: 1BadJav
Date Posted: Jan/01/2022 at 4:34pm
I used these guys for my Javelin.

https://www.factoryinteriors.com/catalog/auto-carpet/American%20Motors/U3Bpcml0/" rel="nofollow - https://www.factoryinteriors.com/catalog/auto-carpet/American%20Motors/U3Bpcml0/

-------------
72 AMC Javelin SST - 401/727

Posted By: 79AMX
Date Posted: Jan/06/2022 at 4:25pm
I just ordered a full set for my 79 AMX from Stockinteriors.com
I don't have any experience with them however.

-------------
Victor
79 AMX-original owner, 304 (now 360) w/ 998
88 GW
74 AMX-in my younger days. Plum purple with white stripes, white interior, 304, auto

Date Posted: Jan/11/2022 at 11:10am
Thanks guys! I checked both, on one I can get the carpet and a headliner kit for about 600 (conversion and shipping to Canada) and on the other only carpet. I do need headliner so I'll give it a shot

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Jan/25/2022 at 7:16pm
In the end I went with stockinteriors.com. Ordering was easy, got a carpet with heel pad and I *think* high beam switch grommet, and a 2 yard headliner scrape and spray kit. Cost was 572 cdn with shipping, and UPS charged me an additional 16 dollars for import fees. 

At the start I was a little concerned because I ordered on a Sunday, but never got so much as a thank you for your order email until the following Thursday or Friday. The first communication from them was an email saying the product has shipped and tracking information was given.

The items are supposed to be here tomorrow, and look to be on schedule. The company recommends opening the box and laying the carpet in the vehicle ASAP so last weekend I pulled the seats and console back out in preparation. I will update further and document install on my build thread in the project section

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Jan/25/2022 at 7:22pm
It would be best to lay the carpet out in as warm a place as possible. In the summer the sun works great.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Jan/25/2022 at 7:38pm
Summer sun would be great I agree, buuut it's winter here and hiding around freezing lately. It will go into the car in the garage with the garage heater cranked 

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 12:17am
If you don't need it installed I would leave it out of the box and wait for a warm day for it to really relax the materials.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 8:18am
I received an email confirmation immediately after I placed my order.  It was followed up by the "your order has been shipped" email and it arrived on the expected delivery date.

As instructed, I pulled it out of the box and shaped it in a closed off room to prevent our cats from having their way with it.  After a couple of days, my wife wanted her room back.  So I placed it in the AMX (interior is completely out).  But my shop is not heated.

I'm waiting for it to get above freezing for a couple of days to see what I can do with it.  Looks like it will get to 50* in about a week so I'll see about it them.

Carpet looks good and molded correctly.  So far so good and I think you'll be pleased with it.

-------------
Victor
88 GW
74 AMX-in my younger days. Plum purple with white stripes, white interior, 304, auto

Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 7:48pm
A hair dryer will be a big help to form the carpet when you’re installing it.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Jan/26/2022 at 8:18pm
The package arrived today as promised, and I brought it to the garage, preheated to about 25C (a warm summer day for us, 77F for the Americans). Opened the package, carpet looks great, heel pad installed as stated. I opted for the mass backing and it also comes with a good couple chunks of underlay. 

That's where my good news stops for the time being. In the order section, they ask about your car. I wrote in there it is a 2dr, 5spd floor shift, floor mounted high beam switch. I also ordered the scrape and spray headliner kit. The headliner kit and the high beam grommet did not show up in this order. I will call tomorrow and hopefully get this sorted out. 

For the time being the carpets are sitting in the car warming and relaxing in heat with the doors open

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Feb/02/2022 at 8:56pm
Got the carpet installed this past weekend.  Looks good. 

I finally was able to call stockinteriors.com about my order, and got a nice lady right away and wasn't on hold long. She told me she would have her manager mail out the grommet and she offered to call back after she got an answer on the headliner kit. I opted for an email response.

That was Thursday, now Tuesday I email after getting no further response. I figured maybe she had an answer but my .CA email address threw her off (this happens often). Got a reply fairly quick, again was told the grommet will be sent out right away and she will reply soon with an answer on the headliner kit

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Feb/03/2022 at 7:16am
I'm installing mine today.  Finally can get my shop warm enough to feel comfortable I can get it in the correct position to cut it.
I didn't have to contact the company after my original order.  Everything I ordered came and was on time.

Did you use an adhesive?  I'm not planning on it.  

I've been hesitant on doing the installation because I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up.  I'm ready to install the rest of the interior and this is the next step.  Wish me luck!

-------------
Victor
88 GW

Date Posted: Feb/03/2022 at 11:15am
I put my garage heat up to 27C (summer day here) and let the carpet relax in the car for a few days. Then I pulled it back out, cleaned the door and laid the underlay pad. Then I lifted it one side at a time and used spray adhesive to hold the padding down. Cut the holes for the seat bolts and seat belts. Then I laid the carpet back in and slowly trimmed the front while pushing ahead until it was in position. No adhesive on the carpet

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 10:07pm
Headliner kit showed up finally. Install went well, looks good. High beam grommet is still nowhere to be seen. I've pretty much given up on that, it isn't that big a deal really

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Feb/11/2022 at 9:58am
Our AMC cars never used a headlight dimmer switch grommet in the carpet opening. Just a simple hole in the carpet.

-------------

Posted By: HeebieJeebie
Date Posted: Feb/11/2022 at 10:17am
Just curious on the colour of both kits. Both of you guys seem pretty competent on laying it down. 
Well done.

-------------
You alone can dictate Karma.

Date Posted: Feb/11/2022 at 11:10am
I went with black. Pictures on my build thread entitled "spirit build". Wasn't too bad just take your time. In mine there is a little quirkiness in the center but it doesn't bug me

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Feb/18/2022 at 9:42pm
So I should clear up, in the end, the grommet (two actually, in separate envelopes) DID show up. Install took about 5 minutes, just clean up the hole and finesse it through. I'm happy with the result.

Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Our AMC cars never used a headlight dimmer switch grommet in the carpet opening. Just a simple hole in the carpet.

I am aware this is true, but I do want better than stock for my build, and the item was promised in description online.

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Date Posted: Feb/24/2022 at 11:55am
We had a couple of days above 60* so I installed mine. Went better than I expected and looks really good. Thanks for the heat gun tip. 
I was thinking to get floor mats from them. Did you?  Their products seem to be good quality. 

-------------
Victor
88 GW

Date Posted: Feb/24/2022 at 8:56pm
I only bought carpet and headliner. Happy with both

-------------
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net