Forum Description: If it's between the engine and wheels, it goes here
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113318
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 9:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Modifying Full Throttle Upshifts BW M12
Posted By: DAMX
Subject: Modifying Full Throttle Upshifts BW M12
Date Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 10:24pm
How can the full throttle upshift point be moved up on a Borg Warner M12 when the transmission selection is Drive. Now the transmission is shifting at about 4000 rpm. I'd like 5000 to 5500 rpm if possible.

Regards

Dono

Replies:
Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 5:03am
Modulator may or may not be adjustable to a point. The governor will control the WOT upshift. 

Personally, Id leave it alone as parts can be difficult to find..

Just manually shift it..and its better if you do manually shift it

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 6:10am
X2 on leave it alone those BW do not like to much abuse and yes parts are getting hard to find  

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 6:54am
About them M11 and M12 trannys... I had a vintage HotRod Mag that had an artical on the 69 AMX. They went through various steps on doing a few strip runs. If anyone has the artical I am talking about, it mentions a spider leg in the carb throat. Ha! Anyway they mentioned the tranny quickly became an issue after a few runs. If you are wanting to keep your times close, pack a lot of ice with you and cool the tranny pan after every run. Heat is a problem with keeping good shifts. Never had one to experience for my self, just the artical has been a bit of knowlege, for my own curiosity.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:05am
X3 on leave it alone - if you’re wanting it to upshift automatically at redline you should start looking for another tranny. Not because the M11/11B/12 weren’t good transmissions, because for their day they were, but rebuild kits and hard parts are getting very scarce and hence expensive $$$. 

Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 11:04am
I was afraid thats what the answer would be. I guess manual shifting is the answer. 
Unfortunately a transmission swap is difficult because of the small pilot bushing crank in the 68 390. I wonder if a custom torque converter could be made so the crank would need to be modified? 

Regards

Dono

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 11:49am
There is some info about the vacuum modulator adjustment in this thread. Not sure what effect, if any, it would have on the full throttle shift point.

https://theamcforum.com/forum/bw-m11b-shift-kit-parts-or_topic110887_page1.html" rel="nofollow - https://theamcforum.com/forum/bw-m11b-shift-kit-parts-or_topic110887_page1.html

-------------
"Prolly" is not a word.

Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 5:22pm
Modulator isn't going to override the governor setting.

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 5:40pm
I have an article that states the stock M12 with shift lever if left in 2nd, will shift to 3rd at 5400 RPM regardless.
It also states going to a modern band material with more friction and oil distribution grooves will reduce heat generated substantially.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 7:22pm
Isn't there a note in the Owner's Manual, that a BW, in the "2" position will automatically upshift to 3rd at 70-something MPH?

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Date Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:53pm
The M12 according to planethouston was also used by Jaguar.
In the Jaguar Forums it talks of the odd shift points of an M12.
1 is 1st and it will stay there until you blow the engine.
2 is 2nd start and 3rd at 60 to 80 MPH, depending on which member is talking.
D is 2nd start and 3rd at approximately 30 to 40 MPH
Big no no is to downshift to 1st.
This does make sense as many automatics in the 60's if put in D would start in 2nd unless the throttle or vacuum forced 1st. Very effective in snow to start in 2nd!
If this is how your M12 works, I'm guessing all is well. For drag racing, start in 1st and move 2nd at your preferred shift RPM.

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 4:37am
Trader, I wonder if you can do the blip throttle trick for the GM TH400, for proper manual down shift. The hitting the accelerator into a down shift, keeps rotating inertia from attacking low band and sprag. Some where I found that info, but it is not talked about much.

Being not familiar with operation of the M series tranny mechanicals, its just a curiosity of sorts.

Oddly enough with the Torque Command, you can down shift hard in any forward gear. Which I was a bit of a mad man with my 73 when I owned it.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:25am
Has been decades since I've driven a BW automatic, same for a 727 or TH400.
Only posted what I've read or have documentation on.
I would think a current owner or someone with a lot better knowledge of the transmission could verify what I've posted.
The AMX and Machine with the floor shifter seems to have a modified M12 valve body. Higher oil pressure (different spring) and more flow (enlarged holes) for faster shifting. Again, that would have to be verified. Very sparse on the details of the modifications. Not much documentation out there to find.

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:28am
Trader, they are talking about the older M-8 in the Jags, but might be an M-11. When the M-12 came out I'm pretty sure the old "D2 D1" selections (on Rambler) were gone, the more common "D 2 1" taking over. I do recall that if left in 2 the trans would upshift anyway at a certain speed for safety considerations.... to prevent over revving the motor. 5400 rpm/70 mph sounds about right...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:51am
Can only go by what I read:
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/jaguars-sports-car-grows-up-1971-1974-jaguar-e-type-v-12-series-iii" rel="nofollow - https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/jaguars-sports-car-grows-up-1971-1974-jaguar-e-type-v-12-series-iii

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Isn't there a note in the Owner's Manual, that a BW, in the "2" position will automatically upshift to 3rd at 70-something MPH?

Not sure, but there was a TSB on this stating it will upshift at ~5000 RPM, and a note that said something like "only someone crazy would drive like this"

Edit: no one in their right mind would drive like this

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 9:00pm
The Technical Service Manuals have very detailed operation description for all models. I wonder if the shift points vary with model and year?

The M35, the little air-cooled job, has the same D2 D1 L pattern. I forget the shift points, but moving the lever to L is suggested to put it into LOW (1st) below X MPH, and into MID (2nd) below Y MPH. I forget X and Y. I use this climbing hills, eg. to drop into 2nd on a long grade instead of lugging.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 12:51pm
If your transmission is upshifting at 4000 rpm at full throttle then you can certainly adjust the vacuum modulator to move the shift points (both partial throttle and full throttle) upward. At 4000 rpm the vacuum modulator is controlling / limiting the upshift points, not the governor. The factory recommended pressure settings were set for smoothness and fuel economy not performance. AMC did not set up the automatic pressure specs any differently for the AMX and Javelin performance engines though they should have.

By raising the operating pressure you'll get firmer, faster shifts and less slippage which will increase the life of the bands and clutches.
I believe that you'll want to move the modulator adjustment up for a full throttle upshift to begin at about 4800 rpm. The trans. governor is set up to force an upshift at about 5100 rpm irrespective of the position of the shift lever.

You will find however that initial engagement of reverse or drive ranges when shifting out of park or neutral will be a lot firmer and the closed throttle 3-1 or 2-1 downshift will be much more noticeable.
Tweak your modulator adjustment clockwise to raise the line pressure a couple of turns at a time and then do a road test to find your optimum point.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 1:26pm
Thanks George!

Those are some easy things to try. 5100rpm would be perfect ('68 390, 10:1, 268H, and Hooker headers). 

Regards

Dono

Date Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 10:12am
Just as a follow up, prior to the 1968 model year when all the AMC / BW automatics were referred to as "Shift Command", there was the "Flash-O-Matic designation which dated way back. All Flash-O-Matics used the D-1, D-2 and L forward drive designations. D-1 was the normally used position that provided all 3 speeds with a first gear start and D-2 provided a second gear start with an automatic upshift to 3rd. The intention was to use D-2 for slippery surfaces. L range held the car in first gear with no automatic upshifts. Placing the shifter in L when driving at road speeds would automatically downshift the transmission to second gear and if/when the car slowed down below about 20 mph on closed throttle the transmission would downshift again to first gear.
Shift Command was introduced in 1967 in the full sized cars and was the transmission version used with the floor shift/console option. The shift quadrant changed to the "more modern" D, 2, 1 designations. D gives only a first gear start with 3 forward gears, 2 gives you second gear only and 1 replaced the L (Low) range of the Flash-O-Matic by only making first gear available with no upshifts.

All the functional differences between the Flash-O-Matic and the Shift Command versions were due to changes in the valve bodies.

Dono, as for adjusting the modulator you'll most likely find that you'll want to set the pressure so that the 2 to 3 full throttle upshift point begins to occur somewhat below 5000 rpm. Otherwise your part throttle upshift points may be too high for normal driving in traffic situations. If your cam allows rpm much past 5000 then you can always shift manually to hold first and second longer though much may not be gained by shifting past the horsepower peak.
Note, that as mentioned in earlier posts, that the valve body is designed to force upshifts when engine rpm exceeds much above about 5200 rpm irrespective if you're holding the gear shifter in a lower gear position.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 4:16pm
Correct, but the D2 position was the "first" D position (right after Neutral). Most people unfamiliar with the trans pull it into that position and assume they have a two speed trans. The "middle" of the forward drive ranges shifts all three gears. D2 wasn't intended just for slippery surfaces, but was intended to be the main forward drive position, with D1 used only on hills or when loaded. The idea was to start in a higher gear and let the torque converter get you started so the car would up-shift to high as soon as possible. It was supposed to be an economy measure, but only if you start slow. If you start quickly (just about have to in today's traffic!) it's better to pull it into D1 all the time. The engine will work a little less getting up to speed, and economy will actually improve over trying to get up to speed quickly by starting in second.

There is a big difference in the way people who came up in the 40s and early 50s drive and the way we drive now! Most don't realize how different people used to drive during different decades. When cars first started hitting the road in the early 1900s you had to be part mechanic, and if you drove 50 miles in a day you were driving a lot! Most people drove no more than a couple hundred miles a week, if that. 10,000 miles would wear half the parts on a car out at that time! Even in the 60s 100K on a car meant that it was pretty much worn out and it was hard to get much if you traded it in or tried to sell with over 100K -- I remember my father and grandfather stating that their car had 80K on it -- time to start looking for another! Now 200K is just good broke in, you have at least another 100K to get out of it! My 2003 Toyota Tundra work truck is a bit beat up now (I do home repairs out of it, so always hauling something!), but it has 264K miles on it and shows no signs of slowing down. Only regular maintenance items done to it. Might have to replace the power steering rack or pump soon... I have to put fluid in it every couple weeks now (I average 250-300 miles a week). Both are original to the truck, never replaced!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 5:19pm
Frank, I can’t speak for AMC cars built before the 1967 model year but according to the owners manual for my 67 Ambassador ( which I bought new ) D-1 is the intended primary driving range for best economy and performance.. The manual suggests using D-2 range when starting out on slippery surfaces. As for the position of the D-1 and D-2 ranges on the quadrant all I can say is that all Ford Cruise O Matics used the same placement for the primary , all 3 forward speeds, range. That is the position just to the left of L range. Cruise O Matic did not always use the D-1 and D-2 notations. Instead they had two “dots”. The D-1 range was designated with a large dot with a green center and the D-2 range had a smaller white dot to it’s left. I grew up with a lot of Ford products in the late 50s to mid 60s so I was quite familiar with the Cruise O Matic quadrants. IIRC, Cruise O Matic was introduced in Ford cars in 1958 and at that time the quadrants were marked D-1 and D-2. I believe Ford went to the “dots” sometime in the mid 60s.

-------------

Posted By: Buzzman72
Date Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 6:25pm
AMC went to the Borg-Warner automatic beginning with the push-button setup in 1958. The '57 automatic was the "Flashaway" Hydramatic built by GM, so the "Flash-O-Matic" name for the Borg-Warner was meant to be a subtle change. Sometime between the '54 Hornet's brief use of Borg-Warner's Detroit Gear DG-200 [after the Hydramatic plant burned in Ypsilanti], designed jointly by Studebaker and B-W, and the debut of the Flash-O-Matic, BW ash-canned the lockup torque converter. 

When I got my drivers license in 1970, before I got my '57 Rambler 20-series on the road I drove my dad's '61 Rambler Classic with the 196. It would hold L range to 60 MPH if you floored it, but not upshift until you selected a different button. In D1/D2, the car still topped out at about 90, which was sufficient for a new driver with a high lead content in the right foot. [The '57 Rambler with the 250 V8 and Hydramatic would top out at 120 MPH @ 6000 rpm, and would do it until you ran out of road to run that fast.]

As a teenager in that '61, I primarily used the D1 position. Dad primarily used D2. Gas was 32.9 cents a gallon then for the name-brands, and so we never paid that much attention to whether my way used more gas.

-------------
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 12:02am
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Frank, I can’t speak for AMC cars built before the 1967 model year but according to the owners manual for my 67 Ambassador ( which I bought new ) D-1 is the intended primary driving range for best economy and performance..

Lol, the owner's manual for my 1960 American suggests using D2 for most driving, and D1 when you need extra power! This was a flathead with the cast-iron M8 transmission -- so yeah, you might want "extra power"!

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 2:35am
I reckon I used to be able to hold 2nd to higher RPM, but now it does the auto upshift around 5200 as mentioned above, maybe the governor came unstuck or something on the last rebuild.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Date Posted: May/21/2022 at 12:28pm
Manually shifting is the solution, but there is 1 remaining problem. I seem to be near stopped to get the transmission down into 1st with the selector in 1st. At a stop 1st can be selected. Once you are moving a bit selecting 1st does nothing, but keeps the transmission in 2nd. Since I have a 2.87:1 final drive 2nd is too high until the car is going about 45mph. It's a slug in 2nd between 10 to 45mph, but quite impressive from a stop (the tires will smoke halfway through 2nd). Could this be a governor problem? Thanks!

Regards

Dono

Date Posted: May/21/2022 at 1:54pm
What your describing is normal, but not desirable, with the factory settings for the trans. pressure. Raise the trans. pressure by cranking up the vacuum modulator several turns and then do a road test. Shift points will raise as will shift firmness. You’ll know if you go too high as the shift points will be too high or not at all. Expect after raising the pressure that you’ll notice a clunk with the 3-1 coasting downshift.

-------------

Posted By: PROSTOCKTOM
Date Posted: May/21/2022 at 2:56pm
While I am not familiar with a BW12 transmission internals I am familiar with a lot of other transmissions and how the operate. Playing with a modulator is only going to get you so far on raising the shift points. To get the rpms you want you'll need to play with the springs in the governor.

I had a Ford C4 that we played with the spring in the governor until it would shift 1-2 under WOT at 5600 rpms and 5400 rpms on the 2-3 shift. We spent weeks and weeks trying to get the rpms up on the 2-3, but finally my friend that owns the transmission shop told me that's as good as you're to get.

However like the others have already stated if you want to do high rpm WOT shifts and expect it to live you probably need to remove the BW12 and replace it with a different model transmission (727, TH400). While I have both in my opinion the TH400 is the easiest from the kickdown standpoint since it uses a switch and you don't have to deal with all the linkages require on a 727. 

Good Luck,
Tom

-------------
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project

Date Posted: May/21/2022 at 4:14pm
Adjustment of the modulator is external and relatively easy. All you need is a very small and short handled flat tip screwdriver. I’d suggest getting one of those cheapo jewelers screwdriver sets. Take the largest flat tip from the set and cut the handle down to about 3/4”. Pull the rubber hose off the back of the modulator and slide the screwdriver down inside the nipple to engage the adjustment screw clockwise. You’ll be tightening the screw against spring pressure. Crank it in two or three turns and do the road test. There’s no reason to get inside the transmission and make any changes in the governor. The transmission determines the shift points by comparing the governor pressure to the modulator pressure. When the modulator pressure exceeds the governor pressure the upshift occurs. You’re raising the modulator pressure. If you need a higher shift point than about 5000 rpm then this won’t do it for you.

It may be necessary to loosen the rear trans mount and drop the trans. crossmember about an inch to fit the screwdriver in. This is an easy ‘fix’ and requires nothing other than about an hour or less of your time. You’ll want to adjust the setting so that the 1-2 and 2-3 up shifts occur at about 4900 rpm if you have a stock cam.

As a side benefit you’ll extend the transmission life, especially the life of the front band which controls the 1-2 shift. There’s no need to get into the complexity of messing with the transmission’s internals or the expense and effort of a transmission swap if you’re planning on simply doing typical street driving.

-------------

Date Posted: May/21/2022 at 7:05pm
The trans won't shift into first over a certain speed (20 mph or so) for safety reasons. Dropping into first could damage the trans or slow the rear wheels suddenly, having the same affect as locking the rear brakes and could cause one to lose control of the vehicle. All the Borg Warner autos have that feature -- I'm pretty sure even the modern derivatives do, like the AW-4. Once speed drops below the threshold speed (I'm not sure it's 20 mph... but close) it will drop down into first gear while moving.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: May/21/2022 at 10:48pm
Frank is correct but I would like to add that the tranny will kick down back into first at full throttle at up to about 20 to 25 mph. At closed throttle coast down it will drop back into first gear at about 10 mph. Of course you can always shift manually but with the modulator adjusted as described there would be no reason to.

The only thing you never want to do is to manually drop the transmission back into second gear to slow the car down. The friction material on the front band is very thin and not made to act as a brake. At closed throttle the transmission pressure drops to minimum immediately so the band ( which, when activated/applied, is what provides 2nd gear ) will have minimal activation force. This causes a fair amount of slippage as it tightens on the front drum. Just the opposite is true at full throttle as the engagement pressure is at maximum and there’s minimal slippage.

-------------

Date Posted: May/29/2022 at 10:25pm
Adjusted modulator 3 Turns in. Shifting is quicker, but not harsh. I can manually select 1st at about 15 mph. The 2nd to 3rd shift moved up 300 rpm about 4700rpm as well. I will try another adjustment. It's going in the right direction.

Regards

Dono

Date Posted: May/29/2022 at 11:20pm
Try another couple of turns. You’ll want to move the full throttle upshift point up another 200-250 rpm’s. You’ll know if you’ve gone too far. The improvement will be significant. You’ll also note that the full throttle 2-1 kick down speed will go up a little but you’ll be able to drop the shifter down manually into first gear at a little higher speed than the kick down will allow.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/01/2022 at 7:09am
I want to correct a mistake that I made in my post of the 21st. The transmission’s upshifts occur when the governor pressure exceeds the modulator pressure, not the other way around as I stated earlier. Governor pressure is directly related to the transmission’s output shaft rpm so it’s proportional to road speed. Modulator pressure is varied by manifold vacuum with maximum vacuum providing the lowest modulator pressure. This is why upshift points and shift “firmness” increases as the throttle is opened wider.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/04/2022 at 2:13pm
Did you get a chance to do any additional tweaking, or did you reach a happy place setting ?

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/08/2022 at 6:28pm
Added 2 more turns in. Now the full throttle upshifts occur at 4000 rpm. I must have been mistaken about the 4700rpm shift at the last iteration. Shifts are tighter now. So far I've gone in 6 turns. Maybe need 3 more? I'm getting really good at disconnecting the crossmember.

Regards 

Dono

Date Posted: Jun/09/2022 at 9:51am
Yes, crank in a few more turns. As you go in you’ll find that the pressure and shift points will move up more quickly as you turn the adjustment screw inward. If you go too far you’ll know it as the shift points will be too high. If that becomes the case then back out one turn at a time until you get to a full throttle upshift at about 4900 rpm assuming you gave a stock cam. There will be a world of difference in the performance of the car and you’ll be materially extending the life of the transmission as well. There will be little to no slippage during the shifts. It will shift like you installed a shift kit !

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/09/2022 at 8:44pm
I got 1 more turn in, and the screw slot stripped. The transmission shifts nice and tight. The car feels much more sporty, as it holds 2nd gear longer. It still won't go into 1st above 18mph, and full throttle shifts at 4000rpm (much better than 3500rpm). I'm much happier with it. I was almost ready to go to a manual. I'll put that off for awhile: ) Thanks!

Regards

Dono

Date Posted: Jun/09/2022 at 9:38pm
Sorry to hear that the set screw stripped out. It may be possible to back it out all the way and replace it. I’m wondering if your tach is reading accurately. By manually using first or second gear will the engine rev to at least 5000 rpm or a little beyond ? I will say that as you turn up the pressure the set screw is pressing against a spring so the effort to turn it increases. I’m surprised it stripped out though. Maybe just the slot got a little messed up so maybe a slightly larger screwdriver blade may get you another turn or two.
Just as a thought, is the electric kick down switch above the gas pedal in proper adjustment ? It has a ratcheting type of self adjusting mechanism. The TSM details the procedure. It only takes a few seconds to reset it. No tools required.

-------------

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 9:02am
Originally posted by DAMX DAMX wrote:

I got 1 more turn in, and the screw slot stripped. The transmission shifts nice and tight. The car feels much more sporty, as it holds 2nd gear longer. It still won't go into 1st above 18mph, and full throttle shifts at 4000rpm (much better than 3500rpm). I'm much happier with it. I was almost ready to go to a manual. I'll put that off for awhile: ) Thanks!

Regards

Dono
  the modulator only helps to a point.  Some of us has already told you the governor controls the shift timing.

Date Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 12:01pm
I agree but the modulator is readily and easily externally adjustable with a small screwdriver. Modifying the governor requires some disassembly and then some experimentation with the governor’s internals. Typically with an M-11 or M-12 modification of the governor isn’t needed to get the full throttle upshift points close to the engine’s stock redline.

-------------

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

I agree but the modulator is readily and easily externally adjustable with a small screwdriver. Modifying the governor requires some disassembly and then some experimentation with the governor’s internals. Typically with an M-11 or M-12 modification of the governor isn’t needed to get the full throttle upshift points close to the engine’s stock redline.

I’m sure someone back in the day had the specifics of this exact governor modification nailed down, but it’s since been lost in the mists of time and would need to be gone through all over again. Which is a shame, because I doubt anyone would bother with these transmissions since everyone is convinced they’re boat anchors. So the external modulator adjustment is the de facto way to go.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net