Print Page | Close Window

‘66 Rambler classic 232 opinion needed

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110813
Printed Date: Apr/24/2024 at 1:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ‘66 Rambler classic 232 opinion needed
Posted By: Itschrisb
Subject: ‘66 Rambler classic 232 opinion needed
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 5:27pm
Hey new member here. Just picked up a ‘66 rambler classic 770 with a 232 in it. It has low oil pressure issues that I’m suspecting is the oil pump. At idle in gear I have 0-5psi at cruising speed I have 30-40psi. Max psi I’ve seen is about 50psi. The engine only has 46k miles on it so I doubt it’s a bearing issue but then again it did get parked in ‘99 and sat until earlier this year. Could have gotten parked for oil pressure issues.

Anyway at this point the engine has to come out to put a new oil pump and pickup on it. While it’s out I’m going to clean it up and replace some other seals. 

I also found a donor 232 for basically free that I’m considering just swapping in instead of messing with the original engine.

So my questions are do you think it’s worth fussing with the original engine?

Should I just swap in the known good 232 and then rebuild/hop up the original 232?

I’d go with a different engine altogether but I don’t want to do any other driveline modifications because I don’t necessarily want to make this a “project”.

Replies:
Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 6:38pm
Did you do a compression and oil pressure check on the known good engine?

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 7:16pm
Oil pumps rarely wear out on these.
30-40 psi while driving is not bad on an old engine. How does it run?

Keep in mind that if you swap in a different motor, it has to be '71 or earlier, as there was a major change in '72 that would not be compatible with a '66 tranny/starter.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 7:39pm
The known good 232 is out of the exact same car ‘66 rambler so compatibility shouldn’t be an issue. I did not check compression or oil pressure but it’s from a running driving car so I’m assuming it’s good.

As far as 30-40 psi while driving is concerned, it’s not bad at all. I’m not concerned with that. It’s the 0-5psi and valve tap at idle that is concerning to me.  Today in traffic the valve chatter was awful. The engine otherwise runs fantastic. Feels strong and runs smooth.

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 7:47pm
My wife's old 258 Eagle had that low/ no idle pressure and clattering lifters.. 20w50 took care of that for a few years

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

My wife's old 258 Eagle had that low/ no idle pressure and clattering lifters.. 20w50 took care of that for a few years

I considered a heavier oil, I have 10w30 in it now. I’d like to know what the actual issue/fix is though. Did you ever figure out the issue?

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 8:19pm
Shot crank and bearings. Oil pumps are rarely the root of the problem.

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Shot crank and bearings. Oil pumps are rarely the root of the problem.

Even with such low mileage you think it would be crank and bearings? I’m definitely not an engine guy but at 46k miles seems low to have bearing issues. Who knows though it could have not been well cared for.

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 8:50pm
Problem with old economy cars is oil changes didn't happen that often. Combine that with the old oil technology. Pull the valve cover and check if it looks like a wax museum.

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 10:08pm
My Jeep has low oil pressure and running 20w-50 oil helps. It has been like that since 1982 and no problems yet, and it has a lot of hard off road use. I would change the oil and drive it. If you have room get the spare engine just in case.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 10:28pm
I wouldn't make any assumptions, a compression test isn't that hard and is worthwhile knowledge.

Unless you know it's full history, it is far more likely that 46K miles is 146K, American cars having 5-digit odometers.

How are the plugs? Is it burning oil? Etc.

The 232 is a rugged beast, even if abused. It's also torquey and revs gladly (to 5K anyway) so you might not really need "more power", before you have a solid motor. All sorted out, good carb, good spark etc it will be pretty nice.

If you indeed have the gumption to swap and rebuild, I'd suggest rebuilding your freebie that's already out of the car, drive and tune what you've got, then out the rebuilt 232 in. Also make sure they're the same generation 232 -- starter on the left, mainly. After 71 they switched to the V8 bell pattern.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 4:40am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I wouldn't make any assumptions, a compression test isn't that hard and is worthwhile knowledge.

Unless you know it's full history, it is far more likely that 46K miles is 146K, American cars having 5-digit odometers.

How are the plugs? Is it burning oil? Etc.

The 232 is a rugged beast, even if abused. It's also torquey and revs gladly (to 5K anyway) so you might not really need "more power", before you have a solid motor. All sorted out, good carb, good spark etc it will be pretty nice.

If you indeed have the gumption to swap and rebuild, I'd suggest rebuilding your freebie that's already out of the car, drive and tune what you've got, then out the rebuilt 232 in. Also make sure they're the same generation 232 -- starter on the left, mainly. After 71 they switched to the V8 bell pattern.

It could possibly be 146k but story goes the guy I got it from knew the original owner and confirmed it is actually 46k miles.

Either way the engine runs great. Plugs looked good when I changed them the other day. It doesn’t burn any oil and runs very smooth. I’ll switch to 20w50 and also do a compression test to see the health of the engine. I’d love to not have to pull this engine out.

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 6:45am
If that idle oil pressure is after the engine is warm,  that's not bad.

Unless it's a quality oil pressure gauge,  it's readings might not be that accurate on the lower scale.

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

If that idle oil pressure is after the engine is warm,  that's not bad.

Unless it's a quality oil pressure gauge,  it's readings might not be that accurate on the lower scale.

The gauge is not high quality lol I don’t trust it 100% but the low reading does correlate with the valve clatter so it is accurate in that sense. I plan on changing that also. Cold start/idle it will sit at like 5-10psi at idle. 

You guys are making me feel less worried about the oil pressure.

Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 8:08am
Look up Matt's Old Cars Head Bolt Modification.

If you remove the oil filler cap you should be able to see oil getting to the front rockers. 

Posted By: 73Gremlin401
Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 10:35am
I'm in 100% agreement with going to 20w50 oil, doing that change to my 258 was literally like night and day in terms of valve train clatter.  Modern 10w30 is way too thin, and if I remember correctly 10w40 was AMC spec on these back in the day. The 20w50 should quiet it down nicely, and bring your pressure numbers up a bit. Good luck!

-------------
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 10:55am
What’s everyone’s thoughts on synthetic oil in these old engines? I typically run it in everything I own. I’m thinking although it flows better which would actually bring oil pressure down slightly it’s more stable at higher temperatures which seems to be when my engine suffers the most from pressure issues. I figured a quality 20w50 synthetic, although more expensive, may be better than a cheaper conventional.

Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 11:11am
The worn 258 I mentioned was switched from the 20w 50 to mobil1 synthetic since it was a year round transportation where we do have some chilly northern Illinois winters.  The engine had 125k on the clock. Never had any sudden leaks pop up as many claim. When they were first introduced problems did occur since synthetics didn't have the same tendency to swell rubber like it's petro counterpart so they adjusted the additive package. 

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 4:40pm
I would use conventional oil and change it often. 

Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 10:00pm
The Mobil1 15W-50 doesn't change viscosity with temperature anywhere near as much as conventional oil. But it is very expensive. 6768rogues is right, buy decent quality oil and change it often, is a better idea. Especially an old engine, if oil pressure has dropped due to wear, likely blowby is increased, and frequent oil changes are called for. And in my recent experience, driving a car (199ci American) that the owner changed inexpensive oil very frequently (1000 - 2000 miles) frequent changes are the way to go. 

I used to do the opposite; top-quality oil changed at max. recommended intervals. I don't think this is a bad approach, but I think old Esmond's 'frequent' method is visibly better.

I'm glad 20w-50 solved the short term problem. 

-------------

Date Posted: May/31/2021 at 9:37am
I’ve decided to go with some Valvoline  VR1 synthetic 20w50 and will change it every 2000-3000 miles for the time being. 

Date Posted: May/31/2021 at 9:54am
Whatever works

Date Posted: May/31/2021 at 10:24am
I'll ask what I referred to earlier. Do you have oil at the front rockers, as seen through the oil filler cap hole?

Date Posted: Jun/01/2021 at 9:56am
I haven’t been near the car in a week so I haven’t been able to check or do anything. 

Date Posted: Jun/06/2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I'll ask what I referred to earlier. Do you have oil at the front rockers, as seen through the oil filler cap hole?

From the looks of it there is oil at the front rocker when looking through the oil cap.

Date Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 6:40am
Well that's good. That shows that you have flow to the rocker shaft which could have been a problem on the early engines.

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 7:11am
See this: https://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/boltmod.shtml" rel="nofollow - https://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/boltmod.shtml
I'd check it and do the mod even if it looks good. Won't hurt, and will keep oil flowing to the rocker shaft. I don't know if AMC made that passage larger in later years or not.

I wouldn't be afraid to run 20W50 oil in warm weather, but not in cold. You can always mix the oil, like three quarts of 20W50 with two quarts of 10W30. I've run it in an old engine the other way around (2 of 20W50) year round. The additives in the oil control viscosity, mixing weights (or brands) isn't an issue.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 4:25pm
So just for the heck of it I tried a new oil pressure gauge and sure enough it’s the same. The weird thing is is the pressure reading is sluggish. Like it takes a minute to build pressure and then the changes in PSI aren’t smooth like I’ve seen in other cars. The exact same gauge in my Toyota pickup had instant response. So if both gauges I’ve tried are behaving correctly that means the engine itself is sluggish in building and maintaining pressure. Which would lead me to believe that the oil pump is tired or the oil passages are possible sludged up. I’m not going to completely rule out worn internals on the engine but I’d think even if that were the main cause for the low idle oil pressure then it would at least still build pressure instantly and consistently. 

Date Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 6:08pm
On some 232's they need an oil filter with a working anti-drain back valve. Mine on a 67 engine would clatter like crazy on start up when using Wix 51258 or Napa 1258 filters. Another fellow using the same filters didn't seem to have the problem but his 232 was newer. 

If you spin off the filter and lay it on the side no oil should drain out of the outside holes. The filter should stay relatively full. When I removed the Wix or Napa filters oil would gush out of the outside holes.

I've had good luck with the Purolator L30005 and Delco filters. Heck, even the Fram ph11 filters have a working anti-drain back valve.

Date Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

On some 232's they need an oil filter with a working anti-drain back valve. Mine on a 67 engine would clatter like crazy on start up when using Wix 51258 or Napa 1258 filters. Another fellow using the same filters didn't seem to have the problem but his 232 was newer. 

If you spin off the filter and lay it on the side no oil should drain out of the outside holes. The filter should stay relatively full. When I removed the Wix or Napa filters oil would gush out of the outside holes.

I've had good luck with the Purolator L30005 and Delco filters. Heck, even the Fram ph11 filters have a working anti-drain back valve.

Hmm that’s interesting to know about the WIX, I specifically switched to WIX under the impression they’re some of the best filters out there. Pep boys has that Purolator in stock, I’m going to grab one tomorrow and throw it on. I’ll report back.

To note though since changing to the Valvoline VR1 20w50 and Wix Filter the engine is noticeably quieter and only clatters on start up but it doesn’t last nearly as long as it used to. It’s been hot here too 95 degrees the past few days and even with it being that hot and sitting in traffic the oil pressure doesn’t drop low enough to cause clattering like it did before.

I also did some reading and it does seem that in general these old 232s like to clatter especially on initial start ups. Ill be curious to see about changing filters if it helps anymore.

Date Posted: Jun/10/2021 at 10:14pm
Put a Purolator L30005 on it today. Still clatters on start up but seems to go away a little faster than with the WIX. When the engine isn’t fully warmed up the idle oil pressure is 10-12psi and cruising pressure is 45-50psi. Sitting in traffic still on a hot day like today and the engine a little on the hot side the idle pressure drops down to 5ish. Now these readings are in gear. If in park or neutral the pressure is between 5-10psi. 

Living in a city with constant stop and go traffic it’s hard to get good solid readings on anything. I haven’t had much time to take it on a proper driver and watch the pressure.

My next plan of attack will probably be the head bolt modification and see if that helps any. 

Out of curiosity are their any products designed to break up and flush out sludge in an engine? I’ve used seafoam before in a few older cars but just seeing if there is anything else people recommend. Someone said frequent oil changes won’t be enough to clean up the engine.

I’m just trying to exhaust all my options before pulling the engine for replacement or rebuild. 

Date Posted: Jun/10/2021 at 11:51pm
The top-end oiling fix (the bolt) is a good idea, but will not help oil pressure. If low oil pressure is indeed simply extended wear on an old engine, there is no "fix", the low pressure is probably a combination of low volume from a worn pump, and pressure loss from bearing clearance, worn lifters, etc. 

Keep in mind the more you increase wear, more parts will need replacement, and if you run the crank journals dry (hot weather, low speeds, thin oil film) scuffed crank will need more metal removed. As Igonr said in another thread, the choice is that you can fix it on your schedule, or the part's schedule...,

Well kept from here on out will get you more life out of it, but there's only one fix, past some point, probably well passed.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 5:32am
Fair enough! 

Date Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 6:29am
You can pull the oil pan and check the main and rod bearings without too much trouble. If they are worn you could replace with same size bearings (probably standard, but might not be... AMC would put 0.010" under/over bearings in from factory).  That will buy you some time and should improve oil pressure. but due to wear on the crank they won't last as long as originals. Should still get you 20-30K miles -- assuming everything else is up to that mileage. Rings or something else may wear out before then...  Still, if you're up to taking the time to do it, it's not that costly. Bearings aren't expensive, and the only other thing you need is an oil pan gasket. Is a good day's work though, and the mains can be hard to change. I've heard of people just changing the bottom bearing (easy to change) and getting a slightly improvement, but that was way back in the 40s and 50s. I don't like the uneven bearing surface that would make -- couldn't last long, I'd think!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:31am
You said you have access to a donor engine, that might be the easiest route. 

BTW Northern auto parts show a high volume pump if you want to play with yours.

I've taken two of these engines apart, one with only about 70k miles. There wasn't much for cylinder wear on that one but the other I had to use a ridge reamer to get the pistons out. I suspect you will have to do the same at overhaul if yours has 146k miles.

Date Posted: Jun/13/2021 at 11:44am
I do have access to a donor engine still for pretty cheap. I’m still weighing that option. I’m not opposed to rebuilding the current engine either. 

Although a silly mindset I feel if I were to pull the engine I’d rather upgrade than put the same engine back in. I’d love to ultimately put a V8 in the place of the 232. I’m honestly not sure what route I want to go which is why I’m trying to do everything I can to not dig into this current engine just yet. I do have a new oil pump and pickup to put on it. 

How difficult is it to pull the pan with the engine still in the car or is it just easier to pull the engine instead of trying to drop the subframe? I’ve pulled engines and have dropped subframes before so neither option is unfamiliar territory.

Date Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 6:23am
If I were just doing something in the bottom end I'd support the engine and drop the crossmember. The only catch is the wheels need to be on the ground or the upper arms blocked so the y don't come down. Last time I did something like that I ran the car up on ramps and left the wheels down, but still had jack stands under the front so only partial weight was on the wheels. Limits movement under the car some, but works if you're on a cement floor with a creeper.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: Softbuster
Date Posted: Jun/16/2021 at 8:48pm
Is your car an automatic or a manual transmission?
A manual trans car could easily be converted to the 4.0 from a late 80s early 90s Jeep.
Use an adapter and run a 2bbl carb until you have time to sort out the fuel injection.
Just an idea..

I've been running 15W40 Diesel oil in my older engines, all the automotive oils are designed for
modern engines with roller valvetrain so the additives are not there for the harshness of the engine.
Once in a while Walmart has a special on a 3 gallon jug of diesel oil, comes out to like $10 per gallon.

-------------
85 Eagle sedan rescue project

Posted By: WARBED
Date Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 10:14am
Hey Farna. This is in a way the same concern with the AMC v8. but more to do with the cam bearings blocking the line from the lifter gallery to the mains.

-------------
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.

Posted By: 73Gremlin401
Date Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Itschrisb Itschrisb wrote:

When the engine isn’t fully warmed up the idle oil pressure is 10-12psi and cruising pressure is 45-50psi. Sitting in traffic still on a hot day like today and the engine a little on the hot side the idle pressure drops down to 5ish. Now these readings are in gear. If in park or neutral the pressure is between 5-10psi. 

Personally, I'd be thrilled with 45-50 psi at cruise. That's almost above normal for these old, understressed motors. Keep in mind it only takes about 3-5 psi to float the bearings, so you're still safe, even at idle/in gear. With regard to the psi drop with the car in gear at idle, this is to be expected, and also, might be a good idea to make sure that your in-gear idle speed is set to spec. If the idle speed is too low, pressure is going to drop right along with it.  IMHO, I think you are way overthinking/over-worrying about this. It takes a act of congress to kill these motors.

-------------
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Date Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

Originally posted by Itschrisb Itschrisb wrote:

When the engine isn’t fully warmed up the idle oil pressure is 10-12psi and cruising pressure is 45-50psi. Sitting in traffic still on a hot day like today and the engine a little on the hot side the idle pressure drops down to 5ish. Now these readings are in gear. If in park or neutral the pressure is between 5-10psi. 

Personally, I'd be thrilled with 45-50 psi at cruise. That's almost above normal for these old, understressed motors. Keep in mind it only takes about 3-5 psi to float the bearings, so you're still safe, even at idle/in gear. With regard to the psi drop with the car in gear at idle, this is to be expected, and also, might be a good idea to make sure that your in-gear idle speed is set to spec. If the idle speed is too low, pressure is going to drop right along with it.  IMHO, I think you are way overthinking/over-worrying about this. It takes a act of congress to kill these motors.

You know I have to agree with you. After researching the topic to death I’ve concluded that I believe the engine is more than okay. It may be tired or sludged up but I’m really not convinced it’s anything to justify replacing or tearing down and rebuilding right now.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net