Print Page | Close Window

what course of action is indicated?

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110085
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 8:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: what course of action is indicated?
Posted By: bikerfox
Subject: what course of action is indicated?
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 1:45am
I brought the Jav to a dyno shop (chassis dyno) to check on the engine's performance.
The result is that the A/F ratio is quite rich (401 w/crossram and Holley 4160s,
mech. secondaries) and needs to be leaned out.  Primary jets were already replaced
by a smaller size to have a leaner idle, as the initial idle was too rich.

My mechanical engineer friend says that the first thing to do is to enlarge
the main/high speed air bleeds to introduce more air into the system. Then,
he says, I can change the secondary metering plates to a smaller "jet" opening.
He feels that a valve might be burned in the process of dyno-ing the engine if I don't
modify the air bleeds first.

The dyno shop and another carb buddy say no, first thing to do is to change the plates
and that any main/high speed air bleed changes will be inconsequential compared
to the plate changes.

Which direction is "more correct?"  Is there a more effective direction to take here?

See graph below.

-------------
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"

Replies:
Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 1:55am
The chart gives absolutely no indication of what is going on below 3,000 rpm, which is actually going to be more important for running around town.

My solution would be to install EFI, but hopefully somebody smarter than me will be along soon.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 2:01am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

The chart gives absolutely no indication of what is going on below 3,000 rpm

Full throttle began @ approx. 3k rpm.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Posted By: Boris Badanov
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 4:40am
IMO do nothing.
It seems to be running good.
A little rich is preferred to detonation and
worse, back fires.

IMO don't waste your time unless you spend
most of your time at 4000 rpm +

A back fire with a plenum that big
is a scary thing.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: iapexl8r
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 5:05am
the best way to fix this rich at WOT condition is to invest in a wide band o2 gauge and sensor, get a base line then start with the simplest adjustment and re road test and just move forward from there. or take a bunch of carb parts  to the dyno . its best to take baby steps with the adjustments. get a note book and write everything down so you can keep track of all changes.
-chris

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 5:52am
I’d second that regards the wideband, most so called “dyno tuning centres” have absolutely no idea how to tune a car for road use. They will take your money and give you a peak power number that means nothing.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Posted By: mbwicz
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 7:39am
Do you have room on that manifold to install secondary blocks that allow jet changes, rather than the plates? This would allow it to be easier to make changes and go back.

Having your own AFR meter would be useful.

The big question is: How does it run? If you are happy with the throttle response and there aren't any stumbles or flat spots, leave it. Chasing the AFR 'just because' may be quite a bit of work for little benefit. If the cruise and idle are running well, then you may just leave it.

If you made the front jets smaller to improve the idle, did that give any surge while cruising (which would indicate you are lean on cruise)?

-------------
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.

Posted By: Trader
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 8:08am
For my pennies worth, vacuum secondary's in parallel with a cross ram intake solves these issues.
But I've only worked on Chryslers way back when, so take that for what it's worth - maybe nothing!
The thing is big and the variables of air pressure, temperature, humidity ... all effect your A/F mixture. Mechanical secondary's may be good one day and terrible the next. Let the engine tell the carburetors what it needs.
Did the dyno sheet also give you the vacuum readings? 

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 8:17am
What does your brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) look like?

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 9:43am
Thanks for your replies.

There's no vacuum info given (although it was 11" @ idle) and no BSFC that 
I can see, although when the car was being dynoed I vaguely recall that acronym
on the screen.  Yes, there's room for secondary blocks and I've thought about 
going that route.  There is no surging going on and a stumble was fixed.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by bikerfox bikerfox wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

There's no vacuum info given (although it was 11" @ idle) and no BSFC that 
I can see, although when the car was being dynoed I vaguely recall that acronym
on the screen.  Yes, there's room for secondary blocks and I've thought about 
going that route.  There is no surging going on and a stumble was fixed.

It's a pity you don't have the BSFC numbers.  That, IMHO, is one of the first things you want to look at as it is an indication of how efficient the engine is.  If it is relatively constant that is a good thing.  If it is all over the place, falling, or rising with rpm, then you have some kind of problem.  A/F ratio is not the entire answer.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 5:21pm
From just looking at the dyno run the BSFC must be very poor above 3250 RPM. You can see when the secondary's are opening and instead of seeing the engine leaning out with higher RPM it's drawing more fuel to sustain the the RPM though the run.
The "blocking secondary's" is just stating there is TOO much fuel to burn. That's the O2 sensors connected for the run.
It's a nice curve for HP and Torque, but too low on the RPM scale for this setup to be at peak power.
It's basically very good at pumping enriched fuel.
What was done to stop the "stumble"? 
Guessing that the secondary's were put in early.
Boris is correct, your better off rich.
That stated, my first impression if keeping the manual secondary's, is to enrich the primaries and drive out the secondary's to open at a higher RPM. You want the secondary's to open just before the primary's start to lean out. This is definitely not the case looking at the dyno sheet.

To elaborate - that sharp "U" between 3000 and 3250 RPM, the goal should be to flatten out that "U". You can see the primary's leaning out very quickly at 3250 RPM. 

Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 6:33pm
I believe that to cure the stumble, the tech enlarged the pump discharge nozzles.
I'll inquire about the BSFC info.  Thanks for replying everyone.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Posted By: BassBoat
Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 7:27pm
just my 2 cents.  You adjust full power AFR by changing the PVCR for the primary and the secondary orifices in the plate which is harder to do.  Stock 600 -9 are too lean for single carbs.  What are you running now?  Adjust the primary jet for driveability.  I think messing with bleeds is a smaller fine tuning thing.  Full disclosure I tend to leave them alone.  
You might find that quarter mile performance is better with a richer, maybe 11.8 AFR than typical 12.5 WOT target for max power.  but 10.0 is too rich

Date Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

just my 2 cents.  You adjust full power AFR by changing the PVCR for the primary and the secondary orifices in the plate which is harder to do.  Stock 600 -9 are too lean for single carbs.  What are you running now?  Adjust the primary jet for driveability.  I think messing with bleeds is a smaller fine tuning thing.  Full disclosure I tend to leave them alone.  
You might find that quarter mile performance is better with a richer, maybe 11.8 AFR than typical 12.5 WOT target for max power.  but 10.0 is too rich

Thanks for your comments, BB.  PVCR is 5.5 and everyone seems to "like" this number, based on the 11" of vacuum.  Unsure of what you mean by "Stock 600 -9 are too lean for single carbs.  What are you running now?"  This 4160 is a 450 cfm carb.  The primary jet, reduced from .062 to .059 was due to a rich condition at idle.  By the way, this is NOT a quarter mile car.  Jane is driven about 95% of the time @ 70 mph.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 12:57am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

It's a pity you don't have the BSFC numbers.  That, IMHO, is one of the first things you want to look at as it is an indication of how efficient the engine is.  If it is relatively constant that is a good thing.  If it is all over the place, falling, or rising with rpm, then you have some kind of problem.  A/F ratio is not the entire answer.

From what I've gathered, BSFC is measured on an engine dyno.  I'm doing a chassis dyno.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 7:48am
Originally posted by bikerfox bikerfox wrote:

Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

From what I've gathered, BSFC is measured on an engine dyno.  I'm doing a chassis dyno.

Hmm.  I guess it depends on how old the chassis dyno is and what features it has.  I just did a cursory search on Google and found that BSFC is available on chassis dynos that have a fuel flow input and are configured to calculate BSFC.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 8:32am
Am I missing something?
The primary jets have nothing to do with idle mixture.
The implication is that the throttle plates are being held open and you need more air for idle. This just adds to AFR complications.
Putting back the original primary jets and adjusting the idle mixture for idle quality would be the first step. If you need more air, cracking the secondary's slightly open achieves this without increasing AFR. They used to drill holes in the primary throttle plates, but cracking open the secondary's has the same effect and can be adjusted. Try this with just a screwdriver first and see if your idle quality improves.
If you can get your idle circuits working the way they should be, the rest is much easier.

Date Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 9:56pm
The PVCR is the hole that the power valve opens.  The 5.5 number you reference is the vacuum at which it opens.  How much fuel you get when the power valve opens determines the total fuel.  On the primary, there are two sources of main fuel, the jet and the PVCR.  If you have too big a jet, you get too much fuel when you are just driving around.  If you get the driveability right, then that will tell you the primary jet is right, then you open or in your case close the diameter of the power valve channel restriction to get the AFR where you want it.  I would suggest trying to run with the secondaries disabled, and getting the AFR right on the primaries.  Then see what happens with the secondaries.  I missed that you had 450 CFM carburetors, sorry, so my reference to the -9 secondary plate applied to a 600 cfm 4160.  I like to get the plates that allow you to change jetting with conventional jets.  
As I understand it, it is typical to have to lean out the carburetors on dual applications.

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 10:14am
What is the Holley List Number of your carbs ?

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 3:22pm
Here is a link to an older article:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0807-holley-carburetors-basics-guide/" rel="nofollow - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0807-holley-carburetors-basics-guide/
This has the holes drilled into the Primary butterfly's that I did not recommend doing.
PHAT69AMX has more information on specific carburetors, but the basics of setting idle are in the article. Setting the Primary butterflies is crucial to have your idle circuit working properly. As the article also states you should be running your Primary circuit rich, especially on that massive intake. All the Mopar's were set quite rich on the primaries and idle circuits.
After reading the reply above, the newer carburetor may not be an option of cracking open the Secondary's without having fuel flow. Don't know about these.
I like the idea of running without the Secondary's to do an initial tuning, but the Primary butterflies and idle circuit have to be set up before adjusting your Primary jetting. At least on the older 4160's.

Date Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 4:53pm
Thanks for your insights, Phat.  Yes, they are 9776s--right on with that!

Interesting info with the "...very small secondary Main Air Bleeds..."  A buddy who's
familiar with the carb issues wants to take off the secondary plates and etc...and blow air
through the secondary bleeds to see if the air is getting through the passages of the carb
w/o any blockages...but maybe we're just seeing as you mentioned, "small bleeds."  I had
a thought to use the correct sized drill just to simply push it through the bleeds to make sure
there's no blockage as well.

Oh, and I just have to bring up... has any adjustment at all been done to the Secondary Idle Speed Screw adjustment ?... Not to my knowledge, as they didn't remove the carbs.

There's a lot to it... sounds to me like I would not let those guys tune my Holley carbs at all.
imho I can tell from what's already posted they don't know what to do with those Holley carbs.
You need to find some older well experienced person with Holley carbs that actually knows what they're doing.  Funny you say this as this place is a nationally known dyno shop that dynos a substantial number of engines (and chassis dyno) for big name guys and tv productions.

Disconnect / removed the simple small primary to secondary linkage interlink rod on the drivers side of both carbs.  Then do a pull running only the Primary side of both carbs and see what the mixture does.
I'm unclear as to what the outcome would be and what I would do with that info.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 8:11pm
Disconnect / removed the simple small primary to secondary linkage interlink rod on the drivers side of both carbs.  Then do a pull running only the Primary side of both carbs and see what the mixture does.
I'm unclear as to what the outcome would be and what I would do with that info.

What he is trying to do is get the engine to run properly with 2x 2 barrel carburetors.
If you can get the engine to run with reasonable idle and good acceleration on the Primary's, then the Secondary's are the bonus that should be relatively easy to jet. You don't really care about the AFR, 3600 to 4000 RPM as long as it's rich and runs well on this intake. Once the Secondary's kick in the engine will go to it's maximum efficiency and start to lean out, and that's exactly what it's supposed to do.

The dyno shows a short rich to lean curve on the Primary's and also it's stated the Primary jetting was used to fix a rich idle. That indicates the Primary butterfly's are too far open at idle.
This is not the way to set these carburetors.
It also shows Secondary's not leaning out as RPM increases.
Well not the older 4160's at least and certainly not the way we used to set up Mopar's with similar intakes.

The subtilty of changing air bleeds for fine tuning, I've never play with.

Date Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 11:49pm
To back up... it is going rich at rpm, correct ?...

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Posted By: 67 Marlin
Date Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 12:47am
If you want to dyno tune for max power based on AFR, a simple way is to square the jets and put a blank power valve in. That's your high speed circuit, and since it's WOT, all barrels are open with equal jets, so less tinkering. Find best power at say 4000-5000rpm or whatever your top-end WOT is. If smaller jets make less power, then go the other way. Then, if richer or leaner on one end of the WOT range, you can play with the air bleeds and see if that flattens it out or even bumps power along the whole range. I learned smaller or bigger bleeds don't always have the intended effects, so experimentation. The bleeds are for fine-tuning the curve, but it's the least tedious thing because you don't take the carb apart, and they screw right in. You can go up a size at a time or swing for the fences with 5 or 7 sizes to see what end of the curve they effect.

You'll need to drop the primary jets after, say 8 sizes and reinstall the power valve. Ideally the combo of the primary jet size and power valve channel restrictor will be equal to the AFR of the squared jets at WOT. That means more dyno testing, or buy an AFR gauge if you haven't already. Possible to maximize fuel efficiency while cruising and WOT power. After you know your max power with squared jets, if you don't have an AFR gauge, you could do timed runs with the stopwatch from say 3500 to 5500. Find the smallest primary jet with big enough PVCR to match the squared performance and it should consume less gas while cruising.

I think idle and especially transition tuning is way more tedious than WOT tuning, and not nearly as fun.

Date Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 8:49am
In the 1989 edition of the Holley Illustrated Parts & Specs book for List 9776 it says :
"465 CFM Universal Off-Road Carburetor".

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 5:36am
  What model number Holleys are you using?

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

What model number Holleys are you using?

It's just like Phat's post above yours:  4160/9776

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 6:21am
  Ok, here's my spin on the issue.
I still feel that unless you  are running at high
engine speeds all the time, just drive it and enjoy it.

I suggest the issue has to do with that huge plenum
and the poor intake "signal" that comes with it.
Very poor at low engine speeds.

Jetted to be correct at lower engine speeds as engine speeds
increase the signal becomes strong and it goes rich.

I do not have a clue how to tune that issue out.

But I can tell you that having seen hundreds of Harley
and Harley Davidson based engines on the dyno that
power does not really go away till you get to 10:1 fuel air.
They smoke a bit and 13:1~ typically makes the best power.

Pushing the compression up in the 14:1 range makes an engine
more sensitive to being overly rich.

I could say that I am a confirmed Holley hater and toss a pair of 600
Carters on it, but as I see it your rig is making EXCELLENT power
and the issue is well out of the normal driving engine speeds.

As a comparison in big radial airplane engines fuel air ratios
are in "auto rich" settings and are typically in the 10:1 range for take off.
Best max power is in the 12:1 range.

As I see it you have no problem here unless it is running like pooh. 

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 9:33am
Thanks, Boris, for your feedback.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 12:59pm
imho the Holley 9776 is a compromised design.  It baffles me they still make and sell them.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 4:46pm
wow, thanks Phat, for that historical perspective....it's not often that one learns
about the history of anything as "esoteric" as a carburetor, esp. one that one is
using!

last update on this saga:  went back to the dyno facility and i'd already installed
the .067 sec. metering plates. first dyno run showed a near flat curve of the a/f
ratio and this metering plate was the ticket!  a/f went from a 10:1 at its richest
point to an approx. 12.2:1 at highest rpm.  supposedly, i gained 20 hp!  i'm done!
the techs said to ignore the large "humps," as that's when there's supposedly a rush
of air into the sensor area when full throttle is applied.  the fairly "flat" curve was
not able to be duplicated by the same guy after we drilled the plates to .071 for just
a little bit more fuel.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 5:55pm
Good to see the improved A/F Ratio results, Thanks !

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Good to see the improved A/F Ratio results, Thanks !
Was the .067" Jet drill dia. ( #64 Jet equivalent ) Plate Stamped 8, 23, 16, 9, or 36 ? 9
Was a stamped #6 Plate, .070" Jet drill dia. ( #69 Jet equivalent ) removed ?...
A .071" jet drill diameter ( also a #69 Jet equivalent ) Jet Plate would be stamped #35.

All that I have read over decades says DRILLING Holley Jets or Jet Plates is a No-No.
The lead-in, chamfer or not, orifice length, surface finish, corner treatment, etc all come into play.
And if a Jet or Jet Plate IS drilled, please, mark it with a Vibra-Etch Pen ! stating such.
Or break it or crush the jet, or something, or throw it away, imho.

The .067 plate was already drilled to .071--idk what drill size he used.  too late for regrets.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 9:16am
Very nice!
Assuming it's the 134-9 metering plate used, it also changes the idle signal. Did the Primary butterflies get reset with this metering plate?
For the $35, I'd tend to put a 134-9, or what was originally installed, back in without the drilling the from 0.067" to 0.071".
That leaning out to above 16:1 may cause problems with fuel changes.

Date Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 9:45am
So you had a plate that was drilled or you pin checked at 071 and you replaced it with a plate that was 067 drilled or pin checked?  So simply a matter of leaning out the secondary?  Did you change anything in the primary?
Regardless, your AFR looks much better now.  Glad you got it sorted out
BB

Date Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 12:58pm
All take and no give

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 3:01pm
Have to agree PHAT69AMX. What ever happened on the blocking plate with the flatter curve was quite good. I'd be very happy if it were my car going back to that and call it a day.
I wonder what would happen with a little more carburetor also, see what the original design specifications resulted in. I should add I've never seen or worked on an STR11 and certainly could not afford it or the carburetor (paypal) setup. I do have an 1x1850 at home though!

The concern about the lean was many years ago seeing the Chrysler crossrams go "boom".
That's a lot of air/fuel in that big intake and any possibility of a backfire should be avoided at all costs. One of the biggest is running the things leaned out.
They used to install relief valves and such to prevent catastrophic failure on Chryslers.
Never seen or heard of the STR11 catastrophic failure ... but I would tend to go a cautious route.

Date Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

So you had a plate that was drilled or you pin checked at 071 and you replaced it with a plate that was 067 drilled or pin checked?  So simply a matter of leaning out the secondary?  Did you change anything in the primary?
Regardless, your AFR looks much better now.  Glad you got it sorted out
BB

The sec. metering plate was manufactured @ .067.  It was decided to drill to .071 to slightly
enrichen the flow.  Primaries jets were originally .062 and were replaced with .059 jets for a
slightly leaner flow.  Thanks for your feedback.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net