Print Page | Close Window

Idea - AMC Homecoming alternative - RA July 15-18

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Upcoming Shows and Events
Forum Description: AMC related shows, auctions or events go here. Announce club events here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109385
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 5:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Idea - AMC Homecoming alternative - RA July 15-18
Posted By: 343sharpstick
Subject: Idea - AMC Homecoming alternative - RA July 15-18
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 1:23pm

I have an idea, I as well as many others am very disappointed that the AMC homecoming from July 27-31 is again canceled. Rather than just be bummed about it, let's get together anyway. There is an event two weeks earlier we could ALL attend!

Would there be interest in getting an event together in conjunction with the Road America Vintage Racing Event on July 15 to 18?

We can commemorate the first win by AMC Javelin in SCCA TransAm which occurred here on July 19, 1970. 51 Years Ago.

We can also commemorate 50 year anniversary of AMC winning the TA Championship. Penske/Donohue won here again on July 17, 1971!

https://www.roadamerica.com/weathertech-international-challenge-brian-redman" rel="nofollow - https://www.roadamerica.com/weathertech-international-challenge-brian-redman

The Historic Trans Am group will be there. Last time that group was at Road America the Penske Javelin was there as well as one of the RWR Javelins.

http://www.historictransam.com/schedule.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.historictransam.com/schedule.html

For those that have not been to Road America, to say the least, they have LOTS OF ROOM, so I’m sure if someone contacted the track they could do a few things to facilitate a gathering.

-        Food, Beverage, and bathrooms are readily available.

-        Luch-time track touring will also be available. Take your car out on the track for a few cold laps.

-        The roads and restaurants around that area of Wisconsin are outstanding to dive, and we could do a poker run, or something similar.

-        Hotels easily available.

-        Recreation. The village of Elkhart Lake is awesome, public beach, hiking trails available in the area.

-        Oh, and by the way, Amazing Vintage Cars on the track to watch and ogle in the paddock. There may even be AMC racing in the event, who knows?

-    On-Site Camping

I live near the track but I don’t have the time to organize the entire event, I could do some work on this however. If others would be willing to assist that would help get this off the ground.

Thoughts?

Michael

Replies:
Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:21pm
This would be awesome, if the border was open and I had holidays at that time... :(

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:37pm
I don't see the border opening before the fall.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:48pm
Well, it's up to you guys to put together an event up in Canada.

The Penske/Donohue Javelin won there too at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Mont-Tremblant" rel="nofollow - Circuit Mont-Tremblant , Quebec
Second race win was August 2, 1970.
The team won again the next year, August 1, 1971 the TA Championship season.
Get to work on that Wink

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:57pm
Tremblant is a great track. One of my friends raced an Alfa there for many years.

I really don't see any big events happening here for some time. It may be a bust for car shows again this summer. Unhappy

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Posted By: Goodtimes
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 6:03pm
I seem to remember a few years back there was a small group of AMC cars near the gate #4 entrance to R.A. off of county highway J. It is on track corner #3. I do not know if another group has laid claim to that area (Corvette club). Might be worth checking out

Posted By: Goodtimes
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 6:20pm
I also remember back in 1971 the Milwaukee and surrounding AMC dealers had a picnic in the parking lot 2 off of the main gate on corner 14 during the Trans Am race.  

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 7:52pm
As much as I want to go to Kenosha, nothing else will be worth going through Chicago.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Posted By: Roechambeau
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 9:37pm
That would be cool. Planning on being there for the vintage racing already. My favorite spot is between turn 7&8 below the concession stand. 

Posted By: Coloradoamx
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 10:21pm
Hmm..that sounds interesting.   I may have to consider that.  I would love to bring my car to Road America if only just to sit on the property.  I will be in Colorado Springs because it is so close for me, but the idea of meeting at RA is pretty compelling.

https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/ta-javelin-suspension/f938e143-fc7e-47db-.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Feb/12/2021 at 8:43am
Wayne, at a minimum you could do Lunch time touring with your car! They say there is a maximum speed, and you can't pass the pace-car. However, if you do the touring on Friday when there are less cars on-track I can tell you the guy driving the Pace Car is having a good time and has no thoughts of whatever that max speed was supposed to be, LOL
Also, I think there is a practice day prior to the event that you could also do. My neighbor has raced in that event many times, I can get more info if you would like.

I'll make some inquiries with Road America and The historic TA group to try and verify if any of the AMC's will be there. Looks like the 71 Championship car is based out of Michigan, so a pretty good chances.
At a minimum I will do a Friday cruise through the local windy roads with Any AMCers that wish to join, concluding with a lap of the original course that was on public roads, and a cookout on Saturday!
I'll get information on what hospitality facilities may be available If I get enough confirmations.

Date Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 11:26am
Good news, Road America has contacted me to discuss options, stay tuned!

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 8:37pm
great idea .   will stay tuned 

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 8:38am
I had a great conversation with the Road America Hospitality Coordinator. Road America is on-board with an event coinciding with the July Brian Redman International Challenge!

We are reviewing options for entry packages including Food vouchers, a show area, a commemorative windshield sticker, and potentially an on-track drive of some kind.

The track hosts all automotive groups from Ferrari owners, to Motorcycle clubs, so options are vast. I think the AMC enthusiasts would enjoy a more simple option like a package including track entry, a meal voucher, and an AMC specific show/parking area at the track. Perhaps a fan favorite show trophy?

There are also air-conditioned hospitality tents and many more options, but those all include a price. I think the AMC group is a burger and a brat sort of crowdWink

The tricky part at this point is estimating the number of cars/participants that will attend. There are a few ways to manage this, but it's outside my area of expertise. PM me if anyone has thoughts or experience with this or is willing to assist.

As we get more detail, I'll need to give this an 'official' name, and start a new thread as well as additional social media exposure.

Event Name idea,Admittedly, it's a bit long:

AMC TA Championship 50th anniversary at Road America

Cheers.

Posted By: mrblatzman
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 8:52am
From reading this post, I gather that the American/Canadian border is closed and none of us can cross it, but 25,000 people from the other direction will be allowed to enter and never return home from places with little to no consideration given to this virus situation.....I'm confused !!!!!

-------------
Thankyou....Bob

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 9:20am
Originally posted by mrblatzman mrblatzman wrote:

From reading this post, I gather that the American/Canadian border is closed and none of us can cross it, but 25,000 people from the other direction will be allowed to enter and never return home from places with little to no consideration given to this virus situation.....I'm confused !!!!!
Never mind.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 9:49am
"Bordering" on the political here guys...trying to keep this space safe and sane! :)

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by mrblatzman mrblatzman wrote:

Huh? Road America is in Elkhart lake, Wisconsin. What does that have to do with crossing the border? Confused

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

"Bordering" on the political here guys...trying to keep this space safe and sane! :)

I withdraw my previous comment. The border to the North should only be closed to keep Tony and the Canadians out. This would help protect the supply of beer in the states.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 10:59am

Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 11:05am
A little incentive from the last time the Historic TA group was at RA...

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 12:00pm
Depending upon what happens with a couple of events before this , I’d definitely be interested in going to this. I already have all of my vacation scheduled but things can always change which would allow me to come. 

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 3:37pm
Update!
I have verification from the Historic TA organization that the following AMC's will be attending the Road America event:
1972 Roy Woods javelin
1968 Ronnie Kaplan Javelin
Likely the 1971 Penske/Donohue Javelin

Posted By: einbier
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 4:11pm
Wow This sounds incredible I would highly think about attending this

-------------
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

Posted By: ScreamerX
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 5:05pm
Already planning to attend.  The RA Vintage race is a must-see on my calendar every year.  Thanks for reaching out to RA.  They put on a heck of an event, and it would be great of them to support a bunch of AMCers getting together.  If they'd let us park at turn 5, that would be a prime spot for viewing  Not a ton of room there, so if 50 AMCs show up, another spot might be better.  Turn 13?      

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 8:28pm
I wish Road America was closer.  One of my favorite boyhood memories was watching Donohue and Parnelli Jones battle it out at the 1970 Riverside Trans Am.  My mom bought us two of the best seats in the house at the top of turn six. 

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Posted By: Jim Kilbourne
Date Posted: Feb/28/2021 at 4:48pm
official name thought,

incorporate "homecoming" into it somehow..

"AMC Trans-Am Homecoming"...

"AMC Trans-Am Homecoming at Road America"...

or some such, etc.

-------------
Jim Kilbourne
Restoring a 1972 AMX 401.
I have a few extra 71-74 Javelin Parts, Used. Send Email or PM.

Posted By: Coloradoamx
Date Posted: Mar/14/2021 at 8:21pm
It is on my calendar for sure.  A little more detail on any accommodations in the area would be great. What is the best day to attend, Saturday? 

Posted By: ScreamerX
Date Posted: Mar/14/2021 at 9:48pm
Hotels are tight on Vintage Race weekend.  The town of Elkhart Lake is ~2 miles from the track.  Has the Ostoff on the high-end; Siebkens is where the action is at night, and some of the older resorts in town may be an option.  Parking may be a ??, especially if you have a trailer.  

There are hotels in nearby Plymouth - 4 miles from track; and Sheboygan - 13 miles from track.  I'm a cheapo and like the Days Inn in Sheboygan Falls. Many places are asking for 3-4 day stays to book a reservation.

I like Friday because it's less crowded.  Saturday is probably the best... Sat. night they're planning a concours on the front straightaway.      

Date Posted: Mar/15/2021 at 1:51pm
ScreamirX is right on. This is a huge event, so the rooms in the town of Elkhart lake are very sought after and crazy money.
The city of Plymouth has some hotels and is less than 10 minutes away.
As you get a bit further away, you have hotels in Sheboygan Falls, Kohler, and Sheboygan. All will have more availability at a lower cost. Sheboygan is at most 20 minutes drive to the track and very good restaurants Wink

It's totally common for race teams to stay in Sheboygan. The high rollers fill up the American Club in Kohler (Which is very nice!) and the resorts in Elkhart lake, which typically gets a bit crazy for this weekend, which is awesome if you in the mood to listen to live music and such. Who knows what the vibe will be in 2021.

Working With Road America on a package for Saturday July 17, Friday is great to as there is lighter attendance and it's a bit more casual as everyone is practicing and working on setup. Smile

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Mar/15/2021 at 2:50pm
I would love to see this event, but I'd love to drive in it as well.

RA was my favorite track back in my Formula Ford days.

I better keep this in mind.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net