Print Page | Close Window

1964 American 440h Vent Window Weatherstrip

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109083
Printed Date: Apr/20/2021 at 6:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: 1964 American 440h Vent Window Weatherstrip
Posted By: vinclas1
Subject: 1964 American 440h Vent Window Weatherstrip
Date Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 10:09am
Has anyone been successful in finding replacement weather stripping for American 440h vent windows? Mine are completely dried out and cracked..

Thank you,
Kevin



Replies:
Posted By: vinclas1
Date Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 7:12am
Doesn't anyone make vent window weatherstripping? Is there another model that can be used in it's place? How about one from a Mustang, Falcoln, or Chevy II?


Posted By: Have2SC's
Date Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 7:31am
No vent window weatherstrips are available at this time unless you can find NOS.  Rumor is they are going to be reproduced by our vendors but hard to tell when we will see them.  Lee

-------------
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed


Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 8:57am
some one on here did a post on that i think it was Tom  if some one would like to chime in on this 

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont


Posted By: raysinvegas
Date Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:18pm
They were available some years back, but the fitment was bad. I struggled to install them, and had to make a few well placed cuts to get them installed at all. Hopefully the next batch will be useable.

-------------
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler


Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 10:53pm
Is yours really ruined? Or just whistling and leaking? I'm lucky that my '68 American rubbers are 3 on a 1/5 scale, but thw whistling was driving me crazy. I found that most of the whistling was because the triangular window frame was badly misaligned, due to wear in the bottom pivot, which has a little friction clutch made from a spring and friction material and a washer. What happens is 50 years of use grinds the bearing surface away, the window drops down, slowly over the decades, such that the leading edge of th chromed frame no longer fits inside it's rubber.

Take the thing out (easy in 68s), clean it etc and shim it back up with thin washer(s). ALso once apart its a lot easier to clean, including the rubber.



-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
1968 American, 199ci, T14
AMC pages: http://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/



Posted By: vinclas1
Date Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 7:07am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Is yours really ruined? Or just whistling and leaking? I'm lucky that my '68 American rubbers are 3 on a 1/5 scale, but thw whistling was driving me crazy. I found that most of the whistling was because the triangular window frame was badly misaligned, due to wear in the bottom pivot, which has a little friction clutch made from a spring and friction material and a washer. What happens is 50 years of use grinds the bearing surface away, the window drops down, slowly over the decades, such that the leading edge of th chromed frame no longer fits inside it's rubber.

Take the thing out (easy in 68s), clean it etc and shim it back up with thin washer(s). ALso once apart its a lot easier to clean, including the rubber.



Yes. Mine are that bad. Its been sitting in a shed for the past 26 years in Arizona. The seals are completely dried out. If I try to squeeze the seal, it literally crumbles and turns to dust. Worst comes to worst, I can seal the vent windows closed with a bead of silicone and then wait for reproductions to come out. 

Thank you,
Kevin


Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Jan/26/2021 at 7:36pm
if it will help you find parts at all, 63 and 64 classics have the same vent windows as 64-69 Americans.  Don't know about the later classics though.  I plan make such a substitution here an home this week.

Joe


-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.


Posted By: Cricket
Date Posted: Jan/26/2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

if it will help you find parts at all, 63 and 64 classics have the same vent windows as 64-69 Americans.  Don't know about the later classics though.  I plan make such a substitution here an home this week.

Joe


 
63-66 Classics, Ambassadors, and Marlins are the same.


Posted By: vinclas1
Date Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

if it will help you find parts at all, 63 and 64 classics have the same vent windows as 64-69 Americans.  Don't know about the later classics though.  I plan make such a substitution here an home this week.

Joe


 
63-66 Classics, Ambassadors, and Marlins are the same.

Well that certainly expands the search quite a bit. Thank you for the input.

Kevin


Posted By: juhap
Date Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 10:28am
I have been using weatherstrips of 2d sedans...
They are not the same, but with minor adjustments they are fine...

Here you are...



It needs a little bit of cutting and glueing.

Here is the biggest difference. this needs cutting and adjusting.



And original is riveted to frame. You have to glue this edge when using sedan weatherstrip...



Done! Fits well. If you can see that little overlap against chrome frame, you can shave it...



Major issue is that lower front corner. You can made that missing part of old weatherstrip, if it is not  vanished. Like mine was...


-------------
American HT -65,American 220 2d,American 220 4d,American 330 Wagon(x2),American F/EX,Eagle STW(x4),Matador Coupe(2x),AMC Hornet 2d(x3),Jeepster 1950,Concord -81,Nash HT -52,Classic 2d -63,SC/Rogue -66


Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by juhap juhap wrote:

I have been using weatherstrips of 2d sedans...
They are not the same, but with minor adjustments they are fine...

Woah! That's great! So what '2rd sedan' vent window rubbers did you use?



-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
1968 American, 199ci, T14
AMC pages: http://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/



Posted By: juhap
Date Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 5:31am
I have got a bunch of rusted 64-69 American front doors...


-------------
American HT -65,American 220 2d,American 220 4d,American 330 Wagon(x2),American F/EX,Eagle STW(x4),Matador Coupe(2x),AMC Hornet 2d(x3),Jeepster 1950,Concord -81,Nash HT -52,Classic 2d -63,SC/Rogue -66


Posted By: vinclas1
Date Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 6:56am
Is anyone making sedan vent window weather stripping? I haven't found anything.





Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net