Print Page | Close Window

Great AMC Day

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Upcoming Shows and Events
Forum Description: AMC related shows, auctions or events go here. Announce club events here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109080
Printed Date: Mar/29/2024 at 1:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Great AMC Day
Posted By: ajzamc360
Subject: Great AMC Day
Date Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 9:05am
Great AMC Day is in full swing. 
Friday, May 28, 2021
Takes place at National Trail Raceway at 2650 National Rd SW, Hebron OH

gates at 8:30, vending and car show, as well as drag racing
Car & Driver : $75
Spectator, show, or vend: $15

Classes are 
AMC and Mopar (bodied or powered)
Stick Shift (doesn't matter as long as you have to row gears)
2nd chance (any non-amc/mopar or stick) (open to any car in attendance, winner take all)

Mike puts on a great time. I welcome anyone who has never attended to please come and enjoy a day of amcs, sunshine, and good times!

Replies:
Posted By: POS #1
Date Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 1:10pm
Thans AJ, you da man!!!
And just so everyone is aware.  GAD 2021 is the last year we will be hosting this event.
I am getting older and slower, and honestly just too much work for me to handle. my crew is also getting older and a couple of them now have major health issues.
So, if you have always thought, I'd like to go some time, and say Na, I'll go Next year.
they will NOT be a GAD 2022...
On that note.
Keep on AMCing.
Mike

Posted By: sasyamx
Date Posted: Feb/02/2021 at 2:44pm

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Feb/02/2021 at 4:03pm
Such a great event! I'm so glad I made it all the way there in 2018 to hang out with so many great people!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: amxlonnie
Date Posted: Mar/16/2021 at 9:27am
You better get back here this year ! jump that border !

Date Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 11:30am
Hi Folks.
Elsa and I have been busy busy preparing behind the scenes for our Final GAD Event.
I spoke with Steve Tilson of the **Crazy Gringos**   also known as the GAD band..
they indeed will be playing for us Friday night at the Post party together..

Masks are you choice, Do what makes you comfy.. but i would Expect unmasked people in attendance if you are concerned.

I Don't think our Canadian Friends are going to be able to attend... the border atm is still closed from what i hear..

Looks like the POS is going to be able to play along this year...  on the down side to that tho... I will still be running the Jerico 4 spd. this season. too much fab work is needed to have the Liberty 5 spd. in by GAD date. so i plan to make that upgrade next winter.

Thanks to all that help with the event...
Mike..
oh yea, Elsa said there will be Lumpia (Spring rolls) at our get together at the house..

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

I Don't think our Canadian Friends are going to be able to attend... the border atm is still closed from what i hear..
The border closure was just extended to 21 May and will probably be extended again after that.

If you've been reading the news, Ontario, the closest province to Ohio, is in it deep. You really don't want us anywhere near you.

Too bad, I always had the idea to do GAD"one of these years". Guess I've missed out on this one.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 10:18pm
GAD is a fabulous time! I had high hopes to make it....those hopes have disappeared. :(

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: dkrtgood
Date Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 8:00am
Too bad it's on a Friday, I am heading back from Boston that weekend and was thinking about cutting a little further west before south to attend. Why do they plan this in a weekday? possible track schedule issue?

-------------
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Date Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 11:45am
Dave,
Gad was born back on Fran's site some 20 years ago.. i picked up the ball and rolled with it. the friday started with track rental cost.. 
we have did a Saturday 1 year to see if it help attendance.  
It did not help doing a saturday, and at that time, Saturday cost 1k more than a friday.. when you ask why do **THEY**.. there really isnt a They. it is ME.    that does this show...  WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM FELLOW AMCERS OVER THE YEARS..   either donations, sponsorship. or just helping at the vent... It IS NOT a club event, and there is no big corp to pay the bill. its all  on me....
Sorry you won't be able to join in the Great time we have...
Mike

Date Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 12:00pm

Dave,
Gad was born back on Fran's site some 20 years ago.. i picked up the ball and rolled with it. the friday started with track rental cost.. 
we have did a Saturday 1 year to see if it help attendance.  
It did not help doing a saturday, and at that time, Saturday cost 1k more than a friday.. when you ask why do **THEY**.. there really isnt a They. it is ME.    that does this show...  WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM FELLOW AMCERS OVER THE YEARS..   either donations, sponsorship. or just helping at the vent... It IS NOT a club event, and there is no big corp to pay the bill. its all  on me....
Sorry you won't be able to join in the Great time we have...
Mike

Understood, figured it had to do with track cost being lower on Friday. 
Have a great time and will look at my schedule and may be able to attend but cannot guarantee.

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Apr/30/2021 at 4:51pm

Ok Ladies,, Get those cars ready to rock and roll down the track!
Javelin Sue Lear has stepped again to sponsor CASH for the ladies racing this year!
Thanks Sue.
Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILedduYl_b0" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILedduYl_b0

Date Posted: May/24/2021 at 8:13am
Any head count on this event?

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Posted By: 68_AMX_ROCKS
Date Posted: May/26/2021 at 10:25am
What is the situation if it rains? The weather forecast is not looking good at this point..

Thanks,
Chris

Posted By: SC397
Date Posted: May/26/2021 at 11:58am
Social hour on Thursday evening?

Posted By: MacGyver
Date Posted: May/26/2021 at 9:46pm
Damn!!

Last GAD ever will likely end with one heck of a party, I'm sure!!  Wink

Sure wish I could have made it down there one last time!!

Thanks Mike, for all your hard work and generosity over the years!!

Wish I could bring you guys some of that Canadian "10 second beer" that
Randy McCorkle really seemed to enjoy!!

Good times!!!   End of an era!!!

Mac.

-------------
You Drive A What?!?

Posted By: amx600rr
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 6:58am
Per a post from Mike, the events are “on” at his home Thursday abs Friday.   The drag race is cancelled.  Swap meet, “Christmas Tree” drags, car show, food and music are going to happen

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by amx600rr amx600rr wrote:

Per a post from Mike, the events are “on” at his home Thursday abs Friday.   The drag race is cancelled.  Swap meet, “Christmas Tree” drags, car show, food and music are going to happen

Thanks Jerry, was planning on running car down track just for the fun of it....figures.

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 11:22am
Track portion canceled...

the get togethers, party, door prizes and practice tree trophy elims at our place..
also car show trophies, and a swap meet still can and will happen at our place!!!
3532 beaver run rd sw hebron ohio 43025

full size practice tree ...    test and tune 9am-2.30 pm... elims start at 3pm sharp!

door prizes and a good time will be had rain or shine.
and of course now that the POS is track ready, if freaking suppose to rain!-(

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: May/27/2021 at 5:30pm
wow stinking weather and covid crap ....about had my fill of good events like this having to cancel out OuchAngryCensoredUnhappy

but the party and other things will still happen that is good to hear Thumbs Up

THANK you again Mike for all you do and have done 

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 8:46am
Because I could not make this last GAD I am checking in to see pictures of what I missed and see this Cry

First I want to say thank you Mike and helpers who have put this together in the past and this last event.
It's sad to see this did not go on as planed but I know the party(s) at Mikes had to be good as they always were.

So who has pictures of the cars at the parties, we dont need to see things we should not be seeing as it can get some in  trouble unless you want to Wink
And who won what

Thanks again Mike Clap
Dave Grant

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 4:36pm
Hi Folks,
5.30 pm Saturday now, just tiding up around here a bit,,, good enough for today anyway.. still have a couple canapes to take down tomorrow.
I'm tired and time to relax!   I will get a full report put together and posted most likely tomorrow.
I will say, i had a Great AMC Day for sure! Big smile..
Mike

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 7:27pm

Hi Folks,
5.30 pm Saturday now, just tiding up around here a bit,,, good enough for today anyway.. still have a couple canapes to take down tomorrow.
I'm tired and time to relax!   I will get a full report put together and posted most likely tomorrow.
I will say, i had a Great AMC Day for sure! Big smile..
Mike
Awesome to hear that Mike.

Date Posted: May/30/2021 at 8:07pm
GAD (Great AMC Day) 2021
20 years ago GAD started at national trial raceway outside of columbus Ohio.
I have been piloting the event since it started. However it has been 20 years and time to either hope someone picks it up and continues the tradition i started, or it will sadly be retired.
I am no longer 38 and it takes so much energy to prep, for the event, and with a small business of my own, i just am not as fast at getting things done as i used to be.
I have made so many freinds @ GAD. Sadly alot of those friends have went different directions in life. either different brands or sadly have passed away.
I am very thankful and blessed to have had the success of being able to host the event for 20 years.
Very thankful for all the folks that have made the short or Long journey to attend at least 1 of the years.  The one thing i have always said is you will indeed have a GREAT AMC DAY, Rain or shine we aimed to make sure everyone enjoyed there selves. And Elsa or myself would lend a hand anyway we could to our Guests.

So let me start this years report with our Wonderful Sponsors that are behind the scenes!

High Country Graphics
James Sobel
J & K Resto mods
Damian Terrell
Ralph Winslow
Phoenex Rose Fastners
Mike's Auto Service
Elsa Luke
Bob And Bonnie Reed
Tom Guarr
Javelin Sue Lear
Dennis Becker
Jim Rose
Rob's home repair services
Control freaks
Jim & Debbie (Fuzz) Scheild
Weldon's Ice Cream
OAMO
Kennedy American
American Race Headers
Bazell Oil Co.
John Garland
Lucas Oil co.
BLP Race Products
Calvert Racing products
AMO Treasury Sales
 A-70's thing
Wirecare
QA-1
Motor mount raffle by 68_AMX_lS
Art of Thomas Estrada

we have a bunch of faithful sponsors and could not have hosted GAD without them.

Well, as most folks know, Sadly the race track portion of the event was cancelled due to rain.. But the weather has never stopped us from enjoying this wonderful time to gather with old friends as well as make new ones. And Yes, We had New faces attend this year even with the weather outlook.
So, really not a lot to be able to report on the race portion of GAD this year. We did Try to get the reaction practice tree ideal for the classes, but there was very little excitement for that ideal..
 So, i will move along to the car show portion ..
even with the bad weather (rain)!!!!!  thank goodness it wasn't snow, even tho it felt cold enough it might have !
Anyway.
1st place went to Mike Vaughn with his 67 Rebel
2nd place went to Brandon (?) Okea with his 69 BBB Javelin
3rd place went to Lonnie Landrith with his 74 Yellow AMX

This years McCorkle award was given to  Chris Abrell with his Awesome custom 74 Javelin!
And the Rotor head award went to Jon Ballanger!

there were about 5 different folks set up selling parts, not including if someone saw something i had they wanted to buy.. And yes, i sold a few things myself.
We did Have Yet another First for GAD!!!
A Burn Out contest!!!!!!
Jon Ballanger won 1st place with his Blown AMC 360 gremlin!!! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZI7qT6PJA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZI7qT6PJA
POS came in second place.!-)

There was Plenty of food and drinks. Seemed nobody went hungry...  
and the friday nights Live music was again this year *The Crazy Gringos*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtnVrXZRjU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtnVrXZRjU

Again i want to thank EVERYONE that has attend or sponsored GAD over the years. It has been a Pleasure for sure!

Date Posted: May/30/2021 at 8:47pm
Glad you were able to still have one last shop party Mike. I'm so glad I actually made a GAD back in 2018 and didn't just stop by missing the show like other eyars.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net