Print Page | Close Window

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=108911
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 3:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
Posted By: 1958 rambler super
Subject: "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
Date Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 10:48pm
Hello everyone on AMC forum, this is the first page officiallyrecording what work I'm doing, work I've accomplished ect which follows me trying to fix up and drive and save this old car I bought on December 7th 2020. It feels authenticaly good and it makes me happy and proud I OWN this car, when I look at it, I think man, I can't believe I actually own this car! And sometimes, when I look at it, I think man, this is my car.... And I'm f@#*ed. There so much work to do, and some members here on the forum have enlightend me by telling me that most folks who own these cars do the work themselves, and that shops don't take on these jobs since there so old not alot of shops have the accumulated know how to do the work on these old cars. So, the cars behind my building, I don't have my own garage, I don't own much tools, and don't have much time under my belt working on cars, so it's a challenge for me. It's a good thing I can talk to folks here on this freindly and helpful forum about tasks I undertake to get some wisdom and helpful tips. So here I go! I'll post updates from time to time as the happen. I'll start with one tomorrow, about the engine and parts I have in my kitchen... Take care all and thanks for your time and hope you enjoy the read!!
-tom.

Replies:
Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 1:50am
well it look all there that a good start and its something no one else has I look at my rambler in high school like that everyone screamed chevy ford I had something to prove that little car with a v8 put a hurt on plenty of those other cars good luck on the project. it is cool!   

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Jan/07/2021 at 11:18am
Here is the first job I started working on with the car, aside from getting the arrangements sorted out with having it towed from where it was in duncan to where I live in Victoria, here is the first job: getting the engine to a shop that wanted to accept the job. The engine was put in the trunk by the previous owner after I bot it, it was in there for about two and a half weeks and I made sure to cover it with some blankets to keep it as dry as possible. All the other parts for the engine weree in two boxes in my kitchen and as far as my dad could tell all the parts where there and he said "it was a good buy". The engine has been at a machine shop for about two weeks and as per the latest update they emailed me it was being cleaned, so that's all I know so far, and I geuss all they know too..... I have to admit, I do notice I'm alittle nervous as to what answer they will have for me, if the engine is ok to be rebuilt as is or not. Here's the engine in the trunk....

Posted By: Stormogdis
Date Posted: Jan/07/2021 at 11:04pm
Awsome car, i was looking at a 58 rambler 4 door last year with a 4bbl 327 with a 3 speed manual transCool

Date Posted: Jan/08/2021 at 10:25am
Thanks guys! and yup!, It is awesome, I like hearing that and I also really liked hearing the story from "mixed up" about how he drove this kind of rambler bak in his highschool days and put the hurt on lots of the other cars, those were great visuals!
Ok, so this is the second job done, I successfully put on new fastners for the headlight frames.....
So when I was looking at the super cool, retro and beautiful front grill area I noticed the aluminum headlight frames were totally loose and only had one screw holding them on, so after taking them off I could see what was going on and what needed to be done, it wasn't just a simple fact of not having enough screws. Well ok it was but there was more work to be done then was thot at first look.
Ineeded to replace the fastners that held that headlight frames on, the ones that were still there were maybe original seeing as how rusty they were, I went down to key2auto parts and bot some replacements, I think they are called "slip nuts" - I think they should be called slip nuts because of the way they are used, but the teller said no, they are called "U nuts", but I don't think I'm that crazy.... (haha)
Anyways, when I put the first one on I noticed about half a inch was popping out from under the headlight frame, so I went and bot a hacksaw. I had to get creative as to how I would cut off the excess of the new fastner which was quite a bit different from the original, the original looked like it was flat until the person using them crimped them on using needle nose pliers or 90 degree needle nose pliers. I did not have a proper work bench or a vice to hold the tiny piece of steel I needed to cut, so I had to think outside the sandbox on this one... I eventually resorted to using a old plastic clamp to hold the tiny piece onto a rotten wooden table and carefully and gently sawed through the slip nut and was able to cut off the excess, and after buying a longer screw for the bottom o the frames I was able to put new slip nuts on and properly fasten the headlights frames to the rambler. When I was done and I looked at my work, I was proud I did a good job and if someone takes off those frames they will see I did a good job and it feels and looks great seeing all four shiny screws in those holes!
The finished job.....

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Jan/08/2021 at 11:29pm
My first car in the late 1960s was a 1958 Rambler Super. In my high school days the fold flat seats were a big hit.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Date Posted: Jan/09/2021 at 12:28am
I wonder if the seats in this rambler fold flat, I'll have to look into that. Glad to see my posts bring members a happy blast from the past!

Date Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 11:18pm
Ok guys!!! I have very exciting news!! I heard back from the machine shop were the engine was at and they find the engine block and cyl head has NO CRACKS! So the engine rebuild begins! I have the price out sheet for the work ahead, it's the coolest piece of paper I've seen in a long while and can't wait the five or so weeks untill it's all completed and ready to go. The price is high, but I don't mind paying, that engine is going to be SOLID and NEW and STRONG. I'm very very excited!! Now it's onto the next job to focus on: learning how to put a engine in the rambler

Posted By: AMoCoLite
Date Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 8:17am
That looks like an awesome project! Rare to find a project in that good of shape! Keep up the good work.

Clap

Date Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 4:16pm
Thanks AMoColite!!! The positive comments and enthusiasm help a guy facing the work ahead!! This is the first time I ever tried working on a car like this, with the massive amount of different jobs to get done, such as having the engine rebuilt not to mention putting it back in with no experience!!!! I'll need to focus and summon hella confidence....lots of people here will help me with advice and there's also the internet reading and youtube videos I can watch and have been watching so far.

Date Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 2:13pm
Third job done! Gently sand up the pressure plate and fly wheel areas where the clutch disc contacts. Farna mentioned using fine sand paper to clean up these areas to make them nice and smooth. While not taking off too much material, he suggested either 180 or 220, I decided to use 220, just to be extra good to the Rambler. Here are the pics....
You won't see them, but I did see tiny cracks in one spot of the fly wheel while cleaning it up with the sand paper but I'm sure those are just age cracks and nothing serious. Also, would anyone know why the springs are white colored? ( Springs of the pressure plate ) update on feb27: as read in the mechanical book of the tsm the reason the pressure plate springs are white is a way of defining by visual meens different characteristics of the pressure plate springs, such as number of springs, compressed length, what series of car they are used in and the location of the springs. Springs data: there are two types, heavy or standard, white springs are "heavy" there are 6 springs and have a compressed length of 245# -+5lbs. At 1 15/32" there location is adjacent to clutch release levers.

Date Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 11:55pm
Hi everyone, I think I might have messed up the transmission by pushing it back and forth about six times getting the rambler into a different spot in behind the building I live at.
I don't think I thought to put it in neutral before I did all that pushing and pulling it wasn't a long distance but maybe 4' up then down again, and then maybe 5' back and forth again.
Now the trans shifter doesn't go through the gears like it used to.... I was wondering why while having a coffee with a freind in the rambler and just now sitting on the couch the idea came to my mind that I didn't think to put it in neutral before doing all that pushing and now I'm very worried sick I wrecked the transmission. I hope I'm wrong. 
(No engine in this rambler so transmission is disconnected with no fly wheel, clutch disc or pressure plate)

Date Posted: Feb/04/2021 at 10:45am
Well, after talking to forum member here he suggested it was just in a bind and it wasn't anything serious, and in the morning I went under the hood and moved the shifter mechanisms by hand and I guess that freed them up, because it worked as it did before! On the other hand, there was a issue I noticed of the gear shifter not being able to find reverse, so a forum member told me about a method in the tsm for adjusting the shifter mechanisms to solve this issue. As per tsm method: Put the gear shifter in neutral, disconnect gear shift rods at trans shift levers, (close to trans?)put those levers in neutral, put 3/16 diameter rod through aligning holes in gear shift rods and gear shift mechanism(close to steering column) (holes of bearing housing) ,rod can be used(he offered the suggestion of 3/16 drill bit) to align gear shift rods and gear shift mechanism. With rod in those four holes,and trans shift levers in neutral adjust the gear shift rods at transmission, after rods have been adjusted, reconnect to gear shifting mechanism and remove 3/16 rod from gear shift rods aligning them with gear shift mechanism. So, when I went to work on that issue, I removed the gear shift rods at the gear shift mechanism by painfully removing the cotter pins and washers, I got pretty cut up using lots of force to remove them and slipped a few times with the needle nose pliers, I think I'm going to use gloves from now on, then after they were able to be taken out of the gear shifter mechanism at steering column, and it seemed I had to take out the drill bit so I could move each gear shifter mechanism either up or down to make room to be able to push or pull the end of the gear shift rod out of the mechanism. Then with that end disconnected, I went under the Rambler to adjust the other end of the rod at the trans, when I was down there I could see that end of the rod was threaded into a small block of metal connected to the gear shift lever right on the trans. So, I thought I wouldn't need to disconnect them at the trans by taking out those cotter pins, I could simply unscrew or screw the rod through the threads to adjust them. So I got out from under the Rambler, went back into the engine compartment and sprayed rust penetration and lubrication spray onto the threads before trying to turn them through the threads, but they wouldn't turn, so I tried harder and moved my hand down the rod past the bell housing towards the trans, and then the reverse gear I was previously unable to shift into while using the gear shifter at the driver's seat all of a sudden came loose and into play, I clicked it into reverse several times and being happy about it. My memory of exactly what happened isn't completely clear, but I think I moved the gear shift mechanism out if neutral in order to reconnect the gear shift rods, and also moved the gear shift rods out of neutral as well during the process. The space around the shifter mechanism was tight and it seemed I needed the space so that why I moved them. I think after I got the rods back in the shift mechanism I once again put the drill bit through all the holes and then re attached the washers and cotter pins while the drill bit was keeping everything steady. Then I went back in the driver's seat and tried the gear shifter and reverse was still unavailable, but I tried a few more times and then it clicked into reverse! I was happy about that but I was not completely happy since I didn't really know how the issue got fixed, I didn't understand what I did, and also, thinking about it later, and re- reading the message from the forum member, as well as reading the tsm procedure I clearly did the process incorrectly (the tsm arrived in the mail the day after I did the job, the forum member had his own and described the process to me by inbox message here on the forum) so if I did it incorrectly, what happened that fixed the issue? I don't get it. Also, the tsm says "CAUTION be careful not to move trans levers out of neutral as adjustment is being made" and I definitely did that. The tsm does not explain why or what the consequences will be unfortunately. Here are some pictures I took during the big job... Below are trans levers at trans, the threads I mentioned.
Below is the gear shift mechanism with drill bit through the holes.

Date Posted: Feb/27/2021 at 1:47pm
Well, the engine will be going in and now I know the back end is mounted to the trans bell house, I have some bolts that came with the cars parts but other then the two bolts that have a space between the head and threads I'm trying to figure out what length to go buy at the store, it's difficult to figure it out when you don't have the engine with you to inspect and experiment with to learn things. There's a picture in the mechanical tsm for the same series car I have , 10 series, showing "timing mark location" page23 in electrical, in the picture you see the timing chain cover mounted to what looks like the motor mounts, this morning before werk I went out and tried fitting it on the mounts like I saw, but the fit wasn't right, it doesn't fit, so maybe the fit will be different if the engine is mounted to the mounts first, then the timing cover with the little flat metal "brackets" with folded sides. In the picture there are two, one for each mount, on my car back home, there is only one it's on the right mount, I took a picture and emailed it to Steve at blaser auto, he said there's only supposed to be one, so again I'm stumped, and maybe it would all make alot more sense if I had the engine with me to work with. 

Date Posted: Feb/27/2021 at 3:35pm
Looking through the tsm, online google searches, searches here on the forums and one or two questions asked to members, have helped very little or not at all.  At this time I have currently clicked through tomj's upload of the 1960-65 parts catalog f14063 r1, finally at page 759 and 760, I see pics of bell house, clutch assembled detailed ,but neither  of them are a match, one has same bolt hole pattern, but lever opposite side, another dead end. It has not enlightend me as much as I'd hoped, I know the catalog is for a later year, but I thought maybe some of the engine trans parts might be the same and I could learn how the bell house and engine connect.
The only bolt shown as a connecting bolt is part 5.054 and the info in the catalog beyond that is in-useful.
"Part 5.054    60 thru 63   01(LHD(left hand drive)-six-LES(less "E" stick transmission)  60 thru 62   10(LHD-LES)
No length, size or diameter is recorded for reference. Another dead end. 
Tried to search tomj website for my bellhouse in his bellhouse data base but was not sure if the same type asmine was there, I also looked over his t5z trans install section to see what I can learn from that.

Date Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 10:46pm
While pushing the rambler into it's new spot which took 3.5 hours, I thought the reason the car wasn't rolling on its wheels very well must be either because the brakes were stuck, or the bearings were in need of repacking or replacement, so I set out to investigate.....
Over several weeks I had gotten further and further, closer and closer to solving this problem, to addressing this issue, of either stuck brakes or dead and dry bearings. First I jossled the E brake cable and loosened up the brake assemblies, then sanded smooth the brake drums.
I also found a bearing castellated nut that was so tight I needed a 5 pound wrench to loosen it off. When I inspected the front bearings on one side, after using brake cleaner to clean off the grease I discovered both inner and outer bearings were damaged and needed to be replaced, this was not quick or easy.
I did the research and asked questions, I read a article step by step instructions how to replace wheel bearings, also watched a few youtube videos, I picked up knowledge here and there to help me.
Any one can do what I did and find their way to accomplishing this big job with the info sources I mentioned above, but I'll also put in some of my own cents....
"Knock out the races with the driver of your choice" per web article....
This is IMMEDIATELY INACCURATE.
Do not use a punch that is 1/8, this job will destroy the punch, and you will have to go back on the bus two more trips to and from hardware store and buy a 1/4 punch. 
Then if your as unlucky as I was you will have to knock out the two races with the 1/4 punch and a 2 1/2 pound sledge.......in the dark because the sun went down and you don't have a shop with lights.
It wasn't that bad when the job started to get done and I started seeing the race being knocked out. Putting the new races in was stressfully, but with patience and taps with a 8ounce ball piene hammer all around the races got flush with the hub then back to the punch to seat them..... Stressful work, in the dark with the cell phone flashlight, I was nervous I'd mess it up, or be there for who knows how long, but it went well.
Packing the grease into the new bearings was a piece of cake, putting the new seal in with the 1 1/2 $16.99 socket I bot just for that part of the big job was nice and humbling.
Putting more grease into the hub cavity then adding a little slick to the spindle then sliding the hub with inner bearing nicely greased onto the hub, then putting the outter bearing on and the spacer and nut then spinning the wheel and closing the nut down with the channel lock to seat the bearings was a piece of cake.
I feel very happy I did this big job on my own, and I feel alot of confidence in myself, " there are few things more pleasant and intimate then packing wheel bearings by hand for your car " --- very true!!

Date Posted: Apr/24/2021 at 9:23pm
It's been awhile since I contributed to the progress with new posts, so I'll try and catch up... I work on the rambler each week, and focus on learning how to work on it or locate parts each day. on my weekends, about 85percent of my weekend is spent towards the rambler, either reading about working on cars, or watching videos on youtube, or reading the tsm either the mechanical or body tsm, even if I'm not pysichaly working on the rambler I'm focused on the big jobs, walking or taking the bus down to hardware store back and forth to buy tools or things I can use. Usually it takes me the whole weekend to get not much done unfortunately.... Since I got the big job done of putting in those new bearings, and repacking the old ones, I have bot a flux core welder, grinder and wire wheels to wire wheel off the rust, welding helmet, welding gloves, wire for the welder, bot exstension cords and realized through research I would not be able to use them since the voltage drop in 80 feet of distance with 12 gauge size cord will not help the welder be able to have the amount of power to weld properly, so I will need to rent a 9600 watt generator before I can use the welder to fix the exstensive rust.  The engine has been at the rebuild shop since dec23 and last week they told me the only part they were waiting for was the cam, so it might be done in another 3 weeks(?) So now I have this plan..... Make two priorities : 1-paint engine and 2-install engine after painting is done. I've done some simple planning and wrote down a step by step scenario for each priority, what will happen to get the paint job done for the 195.6, and following that the step by step scenario for installing the engine into the rambler. I wrote it all down beginning with the phone call from the engine shop telling me the 195.6 is assembled and ready for pick up and then go rent a u-haul pick up to pick up the 195.6, then go to sunbelt rentals and rent engine hoist and stand, go back to the house, use hoist to mount 195.6 to mounting part of stand then lower 195.6 to the rest of the stand, then return hoist and then return pickup, go back to the house and begin prepping and cleaning and masking off pump flanges and other openings on engine, set up tarps over make-shift over spray tarp structure I will make out of unwanted wood planks I found in the back yard to keep over spray from getting on neighbors parked car, then paint engine. 1 priority big job done. 2- instal 195.6.... go rent engine hoist, while 195.6 is still on stand put on harmonic balancer, use balancer instal tool if necessary, put on fuel pump, but use a small amount of silicone on flange then mount pump, it might not go on easy since the part of the pump works against the lobe of cam shaft, don't use silicone on oil pump flanger, pack oil pump with vaseline as per tomj's advice on his rambler 195.6 part of his website " this oil pump will not prime on its own ". Set distributor to fire at 1st cyl to properly set distributor timing as it goes into 195.6, put paper thin silicone to exhaust manifold mating surface as per farnas advice due to broken fastner location, attach exhaust manifold, put on timing chain cover (before harmonic balancer) and put on oil slicker, put silicone to gasket seating surfaces for timing chain cover and oil pan, torque all nuts to right torque, put engine on hoist, put flywheel on, torque in criss cross pattern, put in pilot bushing with a small amount of oil to slick it for input shaft, use clutch alignment tool and put on rebuilt disc and serviced pressure plate, tighten bolts in crisscross pattern then tighten to right torque, leave in tool untill 195.6 is close to transmission just to be safe it stays alignment, check everything over again to make sure I didn't forget anything, (like starter motor/generator) maybe sit down and have a coffee and think about it for awhile, then if I'm sure it's ok to be lowered into rambler engine bay, begin with that process, mate engine to transmission after taking out align tool, and 195.6 is on engine mounts, torque bellhouse bolts to right torque, torque engine mount bolts then disconnect hoist.... Then seal bellhouse to engine connection with flux core welder.
Just kidding about the last part.
So with tomj's advice about treating the install and first start up like a nasa space launch I think I will go over it again a few times In my head and write it down a few times to see if I missed anything or can learn anything I have overlooked. Right now there's a list of jobs in line to be done, but organizing major priorities first puts them on hold, like using money to rent a generator for the welder, or buying new trunk weather seal rubber from peter statues.

Date Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 8:21pm
Hi everybody, today I found out as I was writing out the budget for the first priority, the painting of f the 195.6, I found out as I called the rental place on the telephone and was asking them about pricing and the cost of the deposit to rent to engine stand and hoist, that they don't hav e a stand to rent. The guy on the phone said "the website info is just generalized and it's not accurate" so I had to re-plan and buy the engine stand. I just set it up out by the rambler, and noticed it's got a inconsistency in the form on the main weight bearing structure, I hope it's nothing to worry about, the stand is rated to hold 1000 pounds and the 195.6 weights 550 or so. 
Just another purchase! I have SOOOO many receipts for tools ect that I've bot, I've probably spent maybe $2000 by now, but I'm not sure.
The buying price was $3000, the rebuilt engine was $4800 or something, so I'm sure I've spent $10,000 or around there by now on the rambler... It's too bad I didn't have all this experience before I bought it, because alittle while ago I was looking for clues as to how things get attached to the engine by looking at videos and adds for ramblers for sale like mine, and I saw a exact similar 1958 rambler super for sale for $3500 (american dollars) in minnesota (?) that had a good engine and transmission and drove fine.... But I can't think like that and regret things now, there's no point is there? Just gotta stay positive and keep working away towards one day driving and enjoying the rambler! 
Anyone interested in watching me work away on the rambler can check out my youtube videos "1958 AMC Rambler Super pt.2" ect ect the latest video I made was pt.18! So I've been at it for awhile.... 
Bye every one!

Posted By: amc-rookie
Date Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 7:19am
sometimes it's best not to track the costs during the project.

-------------
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed

Date Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 11:11pm
Yes your right, so to save myself from realizing how high the cost is, and it might scare some people into abandoning the goal of getting the car on the road.
Some people have already told me they can't believe how much money I've spent... I keep all the receipts because I really do want to know how much it ended up costing to get it running and driving and I plan to list off all the things and how much it cost for each thing and then adding it all up to see how much it all cost, THEN I can go ahead and be shocked and it won't bug me because I'll have such a unique car, and probably every where I go every one will look at my car and think " whoa!!!!! Look at that car!!! " I told that to my friend who saw the car show up at my house on the trailer and he said " yeah, that's for sure ".

Date Posted: Apr/30/2021 at 6:02pm
Engine builder update: the last part has arrived.... THE CAM SHAFT! 
So now the engine is next in line to be assembled, and I dropped off the flywheel to be resurfaced his morning, the person doing the rebuilding of the friction disc and also the servicing of the pressure plate down in staten island told me it would be best to have the flywheel resurfaced. He also told me he Inspected the pressure plate and found it had a warp in it, and the flywheel also would have had a warp in it, the friction disc had little to no wear on it, although it was glazed and the springs were loose. The previous owner gave me a unused friction disc with the stuff I "inherited" when I bot the rambler, it was an inch too large in diameter, and SOAKED in oil, so I sent with my friction disc and pressure plate to the guy down at "falcon clutch" and let him know what condition it was in and he can have it since I can't use it, and maybe if he can use some parts of it to rebuild my disc go ahead, but all that oil that had soaked into the friction material.... I don't think that's good.

Date Posted: May/06/2021 at 10:13am
To attend to "priority #1" and the steps I wrote down in my book, I had set aside the budget for the various costs, then began building a "over spray tarp stand" so the spray'd paint from the paint cans won't fly threw the air and get on my neighbors cars, or mine. This weekend I selected pieces of old forgotten abandoned wood that were buried under all those pine needles and dirt, used a pair of old wooden saw horses and a vineerd composite fiber board as a work table, a very shaky one, but it's better then nothing. I bot a wood saw, it's a darn good one too, to cut the wood, I looked at the wood and thot "how would these two pieces join together well?" And did my best with the saw and after used a large flat head screw driver and a small block of wood to protect the end of the handle from shattering and my ball piene hammer to chisel out the cuts so they would fit together, and used screws after that to make very simple and crude joinery. Some of the work I did looked successful and other did not look so good! I did not have a hammer with a nail claw, but found a way to use a strong pair of channel lock pliers and some leverage against the wood to pull out old rusty hammerd in nails that would cut the tarp, that were either super rusty or hammerd in and all bent out of shape, also bent more by my process of taking them out of the wood.... I had a tape measure my dad gave me, it's a big one, unfortunately it had small magnets on the end piece, which again unfortunately caught onto my neighbors Mercedes convertible roof that he ANNOYINGLY put in front of the rambler in the only spot I could be obviously using to do the werk I'm trying to do.... Godam Mercedes owners. The tape measure magnets got stuck onto the side of the roof as the roof was put on the ground in my werk space and the magnets scratched the red paint... But I won't tell him, it's not a big scratch anyways. I used the tape measure to help me make decisions about what to do, I decided to make the tarp stand seven feet square, I measured out the engine stand and drew it's shape with rocks on the ground and imagined it there with the engine as I would be painting it, and walked around it to see if seven feet squared would give me enuff room to do the painting, and it seemed fine, so I that helped. After I had made the base sides I made the posts, six feet high, I made four of them, then I looked at the bases and made the parts the posts slide into, then after that I made the front base piece, both front and back piece slide into a wood block with a groove cut into it and this block is screwed to the base at the back and front areas of the base, the square shape of the tarp stand is made by sliding those pieces into the slots. The posts also had a smaller diameter connecting wood peiec travelling the opposite way and nailed to the top of the posts, then I made a other piece that connects the tops of the posts together travelling across diagnoly for even more stableness, and nailed those together, and nailed the bottoms of the posts together to the base boards before I nailed the tops together. I had run out of screws that I screwed in by hand since I didn't have a drill, so I started using the old nails I pulled out of the wood boards, I straightened them out with the ball piene hammer on the ground, rolling them back and forth to smack them flat, then I used a old triangle shaped fine file I bot that was in the same bag as the screw driver I needed at value village, to re-shape and sharpen the edges of the nails going into the wood. I almost used all of the old nails to help me build this over spray tarp stand, that I will wrap a tarp around and over top when I start painting. It took me more then twenty hours to make it between two full days of working untill the sun went down on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I'm pretty happy that it's ready, and I feel confident that it will be useful. When I get home today I'll be able to look at it in the daylight, as yesterday I finished hammering the last nail in when it was too dark to see!

Date Posted: May/12/2021 at 2:12pm
Some parts I have made....I was having a little trouble finding a replacement rubber boot for the clutch fork opening in the bellhousing, so I researched different types of materials to use, heat resistant flexible materials, heat resistant rubber types of materials ect. I looked at some different types of things I came across in the home Depot, rubber that turned out to be not a good choice as it would melt in the heat, the other thing was a fabric type of padding that you would put behind your pipes you were soldering so it wouldn't burn the wall, that wasn't a good thing to use either, and then at canadian tire, a heat resistant rubber silicone pad that was used for hair styling irons, so the iron could rest on it and not burn the counter, research on the internet for temperatures common in engine compartments was around 200 degrees, and I checked the rubber silicone pad I was buying and it was heat resistant over 200 degrees. The pad had a ripple texture on it that I carefully sliced off with a razor knife so the fastening frame that holds it onto the bellhouse could have a flat surface to make a decent seal, I tested it out, I put the frame on with the small bolts, put the new release bearing on the input shaft, then put the fork in the grooves of the bearing sleeve/collar so all those parts were assembled to see how the fork passing through the new boot I made would work, the boot flexes and it's not completely sealed when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down, the boot flexes and opens about 1/8 inch or so, it's kinda a hard thing to measure when everything's in the car, but tomj had some pics of his transmission job he did, I looked at his boot he made and it looked like it was a pourus type stuff, almost like foam, and I thought no way, it can't be foam, but when I asked him he happily said it was foam, but special aero space foam that was heat resistant, the stuff they use on airplanes and maybe helicopters, he said his boot wasn't air tight either so I geuss it's something I can be ok with. After all, those factory made rubber boots crack and disintegrate over time anyhow and end up not being air tight too. The other thing I made was the "felt gasket 1.058" and the "felt 1.058" that is seen in the parts catalog pages Steve from blaser auto emailed me when he tried to give me some clues as to how the transmission bolts to the engine and if both engine mount bolts are used to fasten down the timing cover ect but I'm not sure if the parts catalog is specific to my rambler engine bay... I saw in the tsm I own, specific to my rambler apparently, and both engine mount bolts will pass through the spaces in the timing cover, but when I went out to the rambler and tried to "mock fit it", it wouldn't fit onto both bolts, so I'm stumped, and/or ignorant. Anyways, I searched through maybe four stores, and none had felt that was as thick as I needed, the remains of the "felt 1.058" piece that is the shape of a half circle that was stapled to the side of the flywheel cover that fits against the engine, presumably tucked under the flange of the crank shaft(?) Was eventually found at canadian tire of all places, it was a 6x4 inch felt pad that was 1/4 thick with a sticky backing you peel off and stick it to stuff, I doubled it up since the remains looked like it was 1/2 thick, I traced out a probable shape and cut it to form with the razor knife, then bot some tiny carpenters nails and put them through the opposite side first, slightly poking them through the flywheel cover and felt with gentle taps with a ballpiene hammer, making a tiny dot with a felt pen to mark where they pass through, then took them out and put them in the way there supposed to fasten the felt, I used a punch to increase the distance the carpenters nails went through the felt so I had more length of the nail to bend over to hold the felt on the other side of the flywheel cover, so they were bent over just like the original staples were bent over. Then I filed down the nails alittle bit just to decrease the presence of the nails inside the cover......and here is a pic showing the old seat covers, probably original from the age you can see on the seats.

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: May/12/2021 at 2:59pm
One tip to getting industrial type materials like different thickness of rubber and felt is to sue a catalog company like Grainger.  You may need to set up an account with them.  MSC if they are still in business also is a good source.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: May/20/2021 at 4:22pm
Yep! It was a good idea at the time, but when I went there I found out that they did have 1/4 thick felt, but it was only in strips,and not larger pieces to be as wide as some parts of that flywheel cover.
The rubber that they could order and sell to me was I think not as long as I needed and it was not heat resistant, so I couldn't use it for the clutch fork boot I was trying to make, and I think it wasn't long enough to use for whatever I could have done to restore the rubber at the bottoms of the windows. So Grainger was no help and I ended up finding after a long search the stuff is used in the pics.

Date Posted: May/21/2021 at 9:51am
THE 195.6 HAS BEEN ASSEMBLED AND IS BACK AT MY HOUSE GETTING READY FOR PAINTING!
it can rain.... Sometimes it rains.
But it's more noticeable when it decides to rain while your driving back to your house with a freshly rebuilt engine in the back of the truck.
I thought it was stressful jumping out of the truck I just rented at a red light to throw my jacket over the plastic bag that coverd the engine, of all days in the week it had to rain that day.
Writing out the scenario and planning for this day was productive and a good idea, but I forgot to write "bring a blanket to cover the engine on the journey back to the house", that would have been a good one, just incase it rains. I also didn't think to include how stressed out I could get, driving a huge truck I just rented, it was big. It was like a tank, I'm not even sure it's nesesary to have pick up trucks be that big.
Basically it all went as planned, but it cost more then a hundred bucks more for some reason... Oh well, I don't wanna be the richest man in the graveyard anyways.... It's a good attitude to have on these days.
Renting the hoist was ok, but not fun, I got lucky with the rental place, they were throwing out cardboard that I could use to lay the hoist parts down on so I wouldn't scuff up the bed of the truck, and they were big pieces, the hoist apparently could hoist 6000 pounds...it was big.
Driving down the driveway at my house was alittle stressful too, the width between cement walls was something like 93 or so Inches, I had to stand up in the driver's seat and with most of my torso out the window looking at the edges of driveway and front bumper while I toed the gas and brake untill I slowly rolled through safely, then I had to make a 25 point turn and got stuck once, but eventually had arranged the truck so the tail gate was near the only flat surface in the backyard, the place I had planned to set the engine on the stand.
My neighbors Mercedes parked there didn't leave me much space and I almost creamed it once, but wanted to cream it more then once. It wasn't getting any less rainy, so I coverd the engine with two blankets, two tarps and a third one over as much of the truck bed as I could to stop rain from gathering in the valleys of the texture of the truck bed and dripping down and soaking into the plywood the engine was resting on. I left it all like that untill morning to finish the job when the rain stopped, the next morning when I woke up, the last thing I was excited about was finishing that job, and then returning the hoist and truck, having to negotiate the truck out of the back yard with out hitting anything and then driving through town in traffic, but the feeling didn't last long and I was up and at it after a big healthy breakfast. I went and looked at the engine and figured out what size bolts to buy to attach the hoist to at which parts of the block, it wasn't something I could do with out the engine there, but with the engine finally in front of me I could say "ok, how about a bolt here and here to attach the chains to" and see what I could do.
(But maybe don't pass the chain over the cyl head, it looks like it might move the head and wreck the seal the head gasket is making- that's a thought I had as I was looking at it) the first store I went to didn't have bolts long enough to pass through the long 3inch stand adapter piece and thread into the block, but the second store at the other end of town did, but I bot the wrong length and had to go back, so annoying, then I STILL needed to go buy a whole bunch of washers to take up the 1/4 space still left. After that I had a pretty confident feeling and hoisted the 195.6 up in the air, drove the truck forward, attached the engine stand adapter to the block while thinking "this must be the best way to do this and have the engine be as balanced on the stand as I can" but I'm not sure it is, and am hesitant to try and rotate the engine that's now on the stand.... After that I lifted the rest of the stand up to the adapter that was attached to the block and wrestled the pin in which took alot of effort, and once I even tried Sanding off all the paint from the stand and adapter pieces so it wouldnt catch on the paint and stick as I was trying to slide it together but it only helped alittle, then I lowered the engine mounted to the stand to the ground slowly, and waited a few moments with the chains still on just incase the stand and engine needed some adjusting but it didn't, then I disconnected the hoist, disconstructed it, made another 25 point turn to manuover the truck out of the backyard, returned the hoist, returned the truck, good riddance, and bussed home.
Then finally finished my morning coffee 7 hours later!! And then it was time to relax and get back to enjoying the work I do on the rambler, I don't enjoy the other stuff, stressing out over driving big trucks down tiny driveways that are for the birds, are transporting engines in the rain that cost almost $4900

Date Posted: May/23/2021 at 10:46am
I finished degreasing the engine and have that part of prepping the engine for painting done, but I am battling rust that is spreading on the engine fast, I don't have a garage, and have no way of storing the 195.6 Inside some place, so it's just sitting on a engine stand in front of the rambler outside, wrapped in two blankets, then big plastic garbage bags and a water proof tarp incase it rains but also to protect the engine from direct sunlight, so condensation doesn't occur Inside the plastic bags.
I have also noticed the rust has started to appear inside the engine..... At this time specifically on the inside walls of the block inside the two rectangular inspection areas where the rods that extend upwards from the tapets are.
This was something I noticed last night and it got me worked up into a state.
But later on I thought about it and decided maybe I should take one of the smaller paint bushes I have and brush some light engine oil onto the inner surfaces of the engine to coat it so the air can't get to it and keep rusting it, I'll also brush on some oil onto the other moving parts like the valve and spring assemblies ect ect
The engine has all the openings taped shut, but I geuss the air has still gotten inside.
The outside of the block has lots of rust on it, on the side opposite to the spark plugs, last night I used a portable drill I bought and a small wire wheel and wire wheeled off almost all of it, but I think the drill 18 or 20 volts doesn't have enough power to really get the rust off and the battery died so quickly, I'll get back at it tonight and try and get even more of the rust off, and also buy another smaller wire wheel to get at the smaller curves and smaller areas. On Monday I'll call rondex automotive paint store and order the paint, they are closed on weekends, and my days off this week are Tuesday and Wednesday, so I can't paint it exactly right away, so the engine has to sit there and rust some more. And I will have to wait for the clutch to return from falcon clutch down in new York and also put on the harmonic balancer before I am able to drop the 195.6 into the engine bay, so, I'll brush on some oil for the inside of the engine, paint the engine when I can, and wait.

Date Posted: May/23/2021 at 2:42pm
Has anyone here ever seen this type of oil filter setup?

Date Posted: May/23/2021 at 9:58pm
Maybe I'm not taking this as seriously as I should be because I don't know what I'm doing, but maybe leaving the engine out like this with no choice because of no garage is very very bad and I don't know how bad it is for the engine in it's unbroken in state.... I just talked to someone here on the amc forum and they said you have the engine holes taped up, that's good, but the rest of the engine is going to rust, it's not painted and clean iron rusts instantly, the inside will also rust since there's not a coating of oil in there the engines outside and can't be put inside, and it's not sealed, those two things aren't compatible for a engine that's vulnerable.... He didn t say all that but it's close to the idea of what he was saying.
In thinking about what I could do about the problem, I had two ideas, the first was to go back home right after werk and take off the valve cover and completely and profusely bath everything, rocker arms,springs, iron casting, everything in a coating of oil using a small paint brush (a clean one) (actually it was a fairly expensive one that I used to paint a far out famous quote from the ending of the movie "color from space" a movie by h.p. Lovecraft, I painted it on my living room wall, my landlord hasn't noticed it yet) and do the same to as much that was reachable with the oily paint brush inside those two rectangular openings, I think they might be inspection covers for something, what's behind them is the rods that travel up from the tappets that ride on the lobes of the cam shaft ( I think I mentioned that earlier ), I also squirted a good amount down each "oil gallery hole" (the raised casting that travels along the length of the lower area of the block) and down each spark plugs hole, someone from the forum told me that was a bad idea, but I did it anyways thinking it would be better then not doing it.... because Coating the inside with oil, that would drop and spread on the surface area of wherever it flowed and stop the air from getting to those places and stopping rust from occuring anymore then it already has or would have.
I can't turn the engine by hand because I can't grab onto the end of the crank with the engine stand adapter in the way, and I can't turn the engine by hand at the other end of the engine because the harmonic balancer isn't installed yet, the builder said he would do it but when I picked up the 195.6 it wasn't on, I think he must have looked at it and maybe said "f that" the balancer looked old and the rubber bushings (?) That seem to be "bushing" the two bolts between the two parts (?) Of this particular old harmonic balancer are old squished and need to be replaced, so maybe it made him not want to put it on, or not, how should I know? I didn't wanna ask him because he had said he would put it on, along with the timing cover, which he didn't bother charging me for, and that was after I realized from watching videos on YouTube FOREVER to learn about the engine and the car in general, because the tsm doesn't tell you basic things, and I saw the timing cover has to go on with a backing plate, before the crank and cam gears and then the gears and timing chain go on then the rest of he timing cover, and he didn't know that before when he gave me a total for the bill for the build, and he just said he would do those extra jobs for free, so I didn't wanna ask him why he didn't put it on. But anyways, the balancer isn't there for me to turn the crank by hand so the engine pistons ect can't be moved to move the oil around and let the parts move somewhere else from time to time. Today I was planning on going out and buying a balancer instal tool and putting it on.

Date Posted: May/28/2021 at 2:03pm
Ok, I have the clutch back and can start working owards putting the 195.6 in the engine bay, I ha e located one rad hose so far and and still searching for the upper one, I also am trying hard to understand the regular oiling system for this engine, can anyone instruct me on how it works and how the pipes travel to the oil filter and where it is best attached?? Tomj told me the pipe travels from the lower oil gallery up to the cyl head, but I still don't know how to set up a new oil filter system, as the one I have now is unknown to him and he says the regular system is much simpler and I'd like to figure it out for my engine, I'd appreciate any help from the forum?

Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 1:12pm
Ok, I have got alot of info about the oiling system, which is called a partial flow filter system, but am still not understanding all of it, what I think I will try and do is use something farna said in a post he made on a thread, that some people use aftermarket remote oil filter mounts, since it's easier to find then the old mount and it's also allowing people to use more common oil filters, so I think I'll look into that, but I'll need to make my self something to attach the new mount to, which attaches into the space usually used for the filter mount at the front corner area of the aluminum intake plate the carb attaches to. That won't happen yet though,as I have to order it and wait and also make the metal plate that allows the mount to be attached ect ect.... and if I want to try and break in this motor asap to stop it from rusting (it's almost been two weeks it's been sitting on the engine stand outside and not broken in with the coating of oil to protect the insides of the engine, but last Tuesday I finished painting the outside, so I won't have to worry about external rust now!) I'll have to use the oil system currently available, does any one know a good way to clean the insides of the small metal pipes that was being used for this system? I was thinking of using some degreaser and letting it sit and flushing it out real good with water and then drying it. The oil filter I found inside the big orange filter canister was very strange and I had never seen a oil filter like this before, and the oil residue inside it was very very thick, like a sludge!!! I'll post a pic soon incase anyone would be interested in seeing it, I definitely thought it was weird.

Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 6:28pm
Can't post the pic right now, internet is having problems, no time to care, I'm about to set up the hoist and start my first attempt ever at I stalling a engine in a car, and I'm all by myself today.... Wish me luck!(if any one reads it in time, it's doubtful.)

Date Posted: May/29/2021 at 7:23pm
Weird: the metal plate that goes between the engine and bellhouse doesn't have matching bolt holes in two spots..... And one other hole of the bell house don't have a place on the block to thread Into...

Date Posted: May/30/2021 at 11:05pm
Big trouble.....
When I was familiarizing myself with the spacer plate, or backing plate, which ever it's called, I was looking at the back of the block near the volcano butt crank, and I remembered the large opening that I coverd with duct tape, I didn't pay much attention to that area since I got the 195.6 back, but I had a bad feeling that what was going on under the tape, the nature of that opening, and the fact that it was still a opening and not sealed shut in some proper way was going to bring my install to a saddening halt.
I took a closer look, and I definitely knew that opening had something very critical about it and what was inside, there looked like a large passage way going down into the block and in the general direction of the oil pan, there was another cylindrical shaped something in there.... Don't know how else to describe it.... But I took a picture and sent it to tomj and he replied pretty fast, he told me the opening was a "rear cam plug" that was not Installed, he said my builder f'ed up, and should have def installed the plug, otherwise all the oil would pour out that opening and the engine would be ruined. He said it was good I caught that and was paying attention, and I should also get the builder to come over and put it in.
I'll talk to the builder tomorrow, I'll go to his shop first thing in the am. 
I'll show him the pictures and ask him to please please finish the building of the engine, because I really dont think it's finished with that plug not installed.....
Man, it really let me down.

Date Posted: Jun/01/2021 at 1:01am
I talked to the engine holder this morning and he said he didn't know what the hole was for, maybe it was for a driven gear to be used for something he didn't know about, it was a weird engine for him to work on I geuss... I think it was a honest move he made, not really knowing if he should put a plug there when there was no plug there when he got the engine... He ce over and put one in, so that's outstanding he did that for me.
I've been working away at getting the distributor on, I set the firing order backwards, I didn't know what "left hand" ment when I referenced the tsm to see what rotation the rotor was turning.... The sun's gone down, and it's time to put new batteries in the headlamp and keep on trying to put together the clutch stack.... But man it's annoying trying to torque the flywheel when it keeps spinning!!!! 

Date Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 10:15pm
I had heard before about the tip about using blocks of wood to jam up the flywheel, so I had done that, but it was late at night and castle hardware store was closed so I couldn't get a good piece of wood that wasn't rotten or just crap that was shredded to pieces by the flywheel, so I tried my best but failed Everytime to get the thing to stop spinning, eventually my neighbor called out quietly from over the fence and asked me to please do my work in the daytime, as it was after 12 o'clock at midnight, and I of course said yes no worries, I was glad she asked me to, that meant I got to stop and rest, but when I was inside I was thinking, and noticed I hadn't been able to torqued the bolts down, and the loctite was in there drying..... And that means I have to start all over again the next day.
But it was actually a good thing to start over, I had more of a confident feeling having a second try the next day, and with the chance to get fresh, strong wood blocks to help with the flywheel.
Starting with the bolts, talk about using too much loctite.... Lesson learned right there, "when squeezing out the loctite, use a gentle, calm, not shaking hand and be modest, don't let the pressure of the job get to you during the application of loctite to your bolts" is what I was saying to myself while cleaning all six bolts, all the threads on each bolt with a razor knife and also a wire brush, after i had clean bolts that could actually function as bolts after maybe 40 minutes of careful cleaning. 
I also had easier success with switching the side I was using the torque wrench on the flywheel(big difference!!!) As well as my right foot stepping on the engine block to keep it steady.
This time, bolt after bolt was partially torqued down, in a criss cross pattern then fully torqued down. Another big job done well!! Now whats next to do is put together the rest of the clutch stack, but I'm currently waiting for replies to my question "how far in to tap the pilot bushing?"
So I'm stuck again!

Date Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 8:30pm
Ok, got the info last week re:pilot bushing depth into crank shaft, and finally got to it a few days ago with my dad, put it in, did a mock up of getting the engine in the engine bay to see if I could sort out the engine mounting problem I had before which is now solved thanks to farna.
But I didn't put the clutch stack together yet so I had to take the 195.6 out and set it down on wood blocks again, then in this order put in the align tool, friction disc, right side on, bump facing transmission, pressure plate, then tightened in rotating pattern to spread the tension of the tightening bolts, did this in four different stages, first finger tightened, then socket driven tightend, then partially torqued and looked at each bolts distance bringing pressure plate to the flywheel, and kept It even as I finished the torque, then I got back in the rambler and started working on the moly grease job for the friction and pivot places the clutch fork and release bearing collar and sliding surface....

Date Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 8:36pm
Put on the spring behind the fork and grabbed it with small pliers and pulled it around and onto the little spot is holds onto (in only one try!) Then sorted out the "long metal piece that narrows at one end and has a large bolt hole in one end and a tiny hole in the other end" mystery, after clicking through a few page is tomj's uploaded collinsons parts catalog I found the picture of it with other parts of the clutch associated parts and was able to "think about this" and imagine successfuly were it would go to provide a place to attatch a spring to hold tension on the end of the fork, so it wouldn't let the fork fall off the pivot point inside the bellhouse (what is called a huge pain in the assss.)

Date Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 8:45pm
Then, after that was all done, I did what I planned on doing at this point... Sit down and have a coffee and think about it, make sure I didn't forget anything, think things over pretty slowly, just incase, check my install notes and make some new ones, to be double sure.
So after coffee time, I got on with the big job, using the hoist to get on with the install...
I gently lifted and pushed, across a not smooth cement surface, the hoist holding the engine, got it over the metal part of the grill me and my dad couldn't take off due to stripped hard to reach bolts, went back and forth from pushing the hoist to looking at were the engine was, watching as the distance became shorter each time I pushed the 195.6 towards the firewall and transmission, then started lowering it more and more, then I went under the car and had the chance to see with my longest finger where the trans Input shaft was and where the splined hole of the disc was, and made the adjustments with the hoist.... And also crushed my finger against the fric disc when the engine shifted(ouch!)

Date Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 9:01pm
Then there was no chance to feel with the finger where things were, I was totally blind, then I made a mistake with the hoist controls while I had the opposite hand on the valve and concentrating on what I was trying to do, gently lower the engine, and also being polite to my neighbor on the other side of the fence and having small talk with him about how things were going while I was doing all of this and trying to watch the engine to see how much it had lowerd, but turned the valve the other way as I was using the other hand and standing the other way, And the 195.6 dropped sharply (and was caught on the transmission at the same time) and that's when I swore for the first time during the instal, and that's when my neighbor exited the scene with " easy does it tommy ". 
I had never done this before, and didn't know if it was a super bad thing that the wobbling 550+pound engine was putting stress on the trans Input shaft, but I couldn't seem to get it easily connected, so I just kept going, trying to raise the engine or lower it, I even got right inside the engine bay and grabbed onto the engine with both hands and wrestled it around, I did this for a while and ALL OF A SUDDEN IT SLID ON!! I was startled when it happened, and quickly got the bellhouse to engine special bolts that are long and partial thread bolts, each one a different length, and put them in, one went in very easily but not the other one.
And after that I started working on the issue of the engine mounts not aligning with the engine mount holes,  I used what I would call a old timers trick, something a person would know from years of experience and wisdom, and that method of putting the engine mounts on the timing cover before lowering onto the cross member, I was surprised it worked when there didn't seem to be any way that the difference of around two inches would disappear... But it did, and now the engine is mounted to the chassis, all thanks to farna.

Date Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 9:04pm
The big job got done in about one hour, I'm a pretty happy guy today, but, something is coming, more work.... Work that's already been done....I read along time ago something about the timing cover back plate has to be put on loose, then the gears for the shafts, then the timing cover front piece, then the harmonic balancer has to be partly threaded onto the crank shaft, then after the timing cover pieces have to be moved to accommodate the placement of the balancer to not disturb the round seal on the front of the timing cover.
This was not done.
I gave the timing cover parts to the engine builder with out remembering this important process.... He didn't know about it either and tightend down the timing cover pieces, and then later on after I had the engine I installed the harmonic balancer, most likely disturbing the seal, which will cause a oil leak, and I'll have to take off the balancer, timing cover front piece, find a new seal, and do all that stuff I just said.

Date Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 12:57am
Coming closer to figuring out the oil filter network.... Maybe I should buy and use a completely different approach, Instead of using brake line and brass fittings, why not buy a oil filter system, complete with the mounting base, fittings(some of them) and hoses, the hoses are 1/2 ID and 3/4 OD, the threads going Into the block and head are 1/8, actually I haven't checked to see if the threads on the lower driver's side of the block are different ID then 1/8. 
But would it be a problem for the size of hose be bigger then the size of the ID of the block threads? I've been thinking maybe it will change the pressure and cause the oil to spray when it goes through the transition of different sizes... Is that true or bad? Farna and tomj say to use a 1/8 ID size brake line for the engine to the head and to the filter but use a larger ID for the return line, most people at hardware stores say those sizes are too small for this application, but the pipes I seen in various pics all look around the smaller size...... It's ok to go up a size apparently, but how large ID is too large? Does anyone know?

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:58pm
Quote:

Farna and tomj say to use a 1/8 ID size brake line for the engine to the head and to the filter but use a larger ID for the return line, most people at hardware stores say those sizes are too small for this application”

I think you’ve answered your own question right here. 

Date Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 5:32pm
Well sweatlock, I was thinking, the counter person's at the two auto parts stores and hardware store I go to say they think the sizes for the pipes are too small, but they aren't as familiar with the 195.6 as tomj and farna, so I suppose in coming to that thought I should not listen to the counter person at those stores.
They also mention that they think the metal pipes will rattle and break eventually, but again, I've seen the metal piping along the side of the engine in videos and pics here and there, so it must not break like they think it will. So again I suppose I shouldn't let there thoughts derail my objective like it does again and again when they give me thier two cents.
I've started thinking maybe I should not tell them too much about what I'm working towards to stop them from telling me not to do what I'm trying to do.
".....oh, im just trying something on the side - it's no big deal, so I need these parts please!"
Something like that.
But I have the stuff at the house for the oil situation, I bought a mount for oil filter and fittings to connect hoses to it and sizes of hoses to fittings attatchjng to the block at the three diff places ect ect, in a other thread specifically about the oil system for the 195.6 I started I think maybe I gave the guys on the thread the wrong idea with my wording, either that or I just don't know what I'm talking about. 
But the oil filter relocation kit that I thought I was talking about was exactly that, a relocation kit to have a place to mount the oil filter, period.
Instead of trying to find the old style of mount that those metal pipes thread into, maybe I could just buy one at a store that's alittle different and that does the same thing, buy some hose that can handle hot oil going through it and just use that instead of the pipes ect.
But I had some new posts to the thread and reading them makes me think that either I used incorrect wordage or am ignorant, I have inner peace with both of those possibilities.
But I've re-read the product packaging on the website, and the info for the "oil filter relocation kit, part #1113 single oil filter system" does mention a bypass flange, and does mention it has a bypass adapter included in the kit, as well as describes the "filter bypass style: standard port bypass style" blah blah....
BUT!
All that crap I bot and is at my house in the "new stuff" box beside the fridge is in fact not a relocation kit, but just a base or mount to screw the oil filter on, that's what I was going to use it for to solve the issue of not finding the old stock AMC style of filter base, and use hoses instead of metal brake line which I also bot that same day from a store across the street.
 It is a "remote oil filter base" -- "single remote oil filter base, 
part # 1028, 1/2 inch NPT vertical ports, fram ph8a (or equivalent)"
And has no mention of bypass workings attributed to this package, it is only detailed as a remote oil filter mount, and I was thinking that it's exactly that! Just a place to have your oil filter screw into it and have the inlet and outlet hoses coming and going from it, if you want you could attatch it to the stock location (after making a additional metal plate that can attatch onto it and also the bolts on the engine, swinging the plane of space the bolts are facing) between two bolts one on the top of the cyl head and the other on a intake bolt, or you could mount it on a fender or firewall if you like. 
But I think when I used the words "oil filter relocation kit" it makes people think that I'm using a bypass operation, I'm still alittle in the dark about what a bypass is, other then a completely seperate oil filter system in place WITH the usual oil filter system, (so basically two oil filter systems working to filter the oil) 
But that's not what I was aiming for with the whole idea I was trying o materialize.
I was just looking to set up a oil network and filter easier then searching for the original "stock" oil filter base and have to bend the pipes and ect ect

Date Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 6:16pm
Ok, now for the hard to turn harmonic balancer and difficulty setting up the marking points, which one of four btw? So that the engines firing order is set to fire at #1 cyl on its compression stroke, which is the stroke before the power stroke I geuss, so, I set up the #1 cyl to be on a  compression stroke, and the balancer mark, which one of four marks btw? Isn't lined up with the pointer on the timing cover, that could meen I'm 180 degrees off, and I just did some more reading and also got some info from farna that leads me to believe that even though the #1 cyl is on a compression stroke with the marks not lined up on the balancer that I still need to do some adjusting.
Which sucks.
Because the balancer is very hard to rotate. I'll look in the distributor and see if the rotor is pointing to the opposite of the #1 cyl.
For every two turns of the balancer that's one turn of the rotor, so I guess that meens I need to rotate the balancer one time..... I think.
Then the firing order will be ready and I can pack the oil pump with vaseline.

Date Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 11:49am
I noticed after I set the engine upright either on wood blocks when I was putting the clutch stack together, or as it's been installed in the engine bay of the rambler that the nut on the oil pan won't hold it's seal. I tightened it but I was worried I would tighten it too much so was careful, but I took off the nut to look at what ever was not doing it's job to maintain the seal, and saw the washer, or what ever it is needed to be replaced so I was given this at the store and hope it works well, so far it is!

Date Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 10:28pm
Recent developments regarding the carburetor that will be used after first start up...
I was thinking, how will a new carb that's never been used, and not adjusted, be good to use for the first 20 min operation of the rebuilt engine?
I was also thinking I should ask someone and I got the advice to use one of the old ones that came with the car, so I considered both of them and decided the one that seemed to be used most recently and still smells like gas would be a good choice, even though portion of the choke housing is sliced off to make room for the air cleaner I suppose.

I thought about what I could do to improve it's performance during this crucial time it will be used and thought, well, clean it with some carburetor cleaner spray, so I bot a can, I read the label and it said to operate the engine and carburetor untill the carb is warm, then let it cool down, then run the engine and carb again and spray the cleaner into the carb while it's in operation for one minute, and also spray other moving parts

So, with out being able to run the engine and carb untill carb is warm, I wondered how to get it warm, and thought OMG! put it in the oven! 
So I set the temp to around 100 or so and left it in there to warm it up, and then I took it outside and sprayed it down real good! All inside the inside where the air+fuel gets sucked into the engine and moving the throttle plates levers and other moving parts, and the choke plate moving parts and all over the inside and outside.

(After I was done baking a loaf of bread, not before.)

So I hope that helps. Lost a few brain cells with all the spray even though I was out in the back yard. 

I also bot a set of points for the distributor, and it looked really weird, it didn't look like the one that I had in the distributor and it also had a half inch or so length of felt loosely attatched to the end of the set of points and looked like.... Well I don't know what it looked like... But I went out and bot a different set of points that looked more identical and proper.
It's too bad those details can't be seen in this pic.

Posted By: 58Ramblr
Date Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 1:12pm
Say, arent you Tim Cooper on YouTube? I just picked up my own 58 rambler, and have watched many of your videos and commented on some, what you show in your videos has helped me tremendously in research about this car and what parts I need since mine is half disassembled. Cool!

Date Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 7:22pm
NO WAY!!!! thats so cool!!!! :) :) :) :)
But yes I am that guy, my real name is Tom Cooke, the name Tim cooper is the name of a native I used to work with at my third job (third out of more then 30 by now) when I was 18. 
Tim was from time to time unnessesarily suspicious of the people he was around, and would maybe once a year have serious convincement that people at the fishplant were talking about him ect, but they weren't.
We were good friends for a while, but as time went on things changed, and I got very unhealthy due to poor choices I made. In my mind, I always respected him and liked him, but I think he didn't see things that way.
That part of my life as a young person struggling through hardship, almost all alone, took a heavy toll on myself, I lost my job, the respect of my co-workers, and indirectly lost my place to live too. It was a hard time to be 18 and learning about life, and the one other person who was right alongside me during that time who also had his battles, was Tim.
I'll never forget that guy, and if I ever run unit him again I'll say hi.

Date Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 7:26pm
If you ever have a question, go ahead and ask, and I can also tell you who I been getting help from here on the forum, there's people here who are specifically good with knowledge about engines, others are good guys to go to about electric, and other about body(I'm sure, but I haven't met anyone who's specifically knowledgeable about body work yet as I haven't gotten involved in that yet.) You got any pics and a project thread of your rambler??? I wanna see it!!!  You live state side or you a Canadian?

Date Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 7:39pm
Ok, so last week i did a WHOLE LOT of testing with the multimeter (mm) on the ohms setting, (X10) and had written down this results in my little project book.....
                               ELECTRICAL WORK

Chewed red wire at plastic block, 6 wires leaving block:red-chewed, brown-damaged, violet, orange,yellow.
Other plastic block: black,black,white,yellow,green,brown.
Chewed red wire was traced back to the "fan" nob, tracing it back to this origin was a breeze. (Haha) 4.5 ohms-high resistance, probably due to damage. Other end of chewed wire leads to "arm" post on volt regulator 1.7ohms
Black wire was at junction block but not in tsm diagram travels to a "crimp" connection and then splits of into new volt, oil pressure, engine temp gages, and maybe one does not need the elec connection and this will go to the new fuel gage next to the three gage cluster.
These are grounded together under a screw that's screwed into the dash, all wires here and also screw measure 2.5 ohms
Two posts on back of fuel gage 1.8ohms, post that seems to go directly to ground 2.1 ohms
Two posts on back of volt gage 2.5 ohms
Green wire on junction block, under black wire and ontop of green wire that travels to "small box" under dash, the box has marking on it "12v" and "30amp" 1.8 ohms, the box also has two posts on it"aux" and "batt" 
"Aux" post has green, blue and black wire, "batt" post has one thick black wire.

+Batt cable to starter 1.8 ohms
Starter blue wire to ballast resistor 1.8 ohms
Starter gree wire to junction block top post 1.6ohms, middle post 2ohms
Starter red wire to bottom post on junction block 1.8ohms
Red wire bottom post on junction block to "b" post on volt regulator 1.8 ohms
Starter red wire to ignition switch "b"post 1.6 ohms
Wiring pic is different then the wires actually on my ignition switch, as I mentioned earlier, in the tsm pic there is supposed to be one yellow and two black wires at the "IGN" post, one green at "st" post, "b" post one black, two red, "acc" post one black.
Wires in place on the switch in my rambler are "IGN" post, one yellow and one blue wire, blue wire goes to nowhere and is not connected to anything... Ends in a bundle underneath the dash near passenger side of car (?). "St" post, one green, "acc"post three black wires, "bat" post, one red wire. Very sure the red wire goes directly to starter.
The three black wires on the "acc" post have been hunted down like those awesome white powderd doughnuts in the grocery store, one black wire goes to the radio, one goes to the cigarette lighter, and the thicker black wire travels to the mystery box under the dash, with two posts on it marked "bat" and "aux" and "12v" and "30 amp"
The thick black wire has it's destination on the "bat" post, I discovered this after searching and seeing that there was no thick black wire this size beyond the firewall.
The other post marked "aux" has a green, a blue and a thinner black wire on it, the blue wire crosses a small gap over to a small round device with a flat type push on connecter, the blue wire arrives here, and another blue wire leaves on the next post.

Green wire on middle post of junction block 1.7 ohms to small round something attatched to outer part of brake fluid junction(?) Is near master cylinder for brake fluid has two green wires connecting to it.

Generator "f" green wire to "fld" post on volt reg 1.8ohms
Generator "a" orange wire to "arm" post on volt regulator 1.8 ohms
Generator ground wire to volt regulator ground 1.8 ohms

- wire from coil to distributor 1.8 ohms
+ Coil yellow wire to ballast resistor 1.8ohms
Yellow wire on passenger side of ballast resistor to yellow wire on "IGN" post 1.8 ohms

Black wire from horn relay to bottom front post on relay1.8ohms
Black wire from horn relay to "hi" horn and to "low" horn 1.8 ohms
Horn relay bottom rear post to horn relay too post 4ohms
Horn relay bottom rear post to either horns 0ohms

Driver's side outer headlight black wire 1.8 ohms
Driver's side inner headlight white wire 1.8 ohms
Driver's side outer headlight red wire to ground 1.8ohms
Driver's side outer headlight  white wire to inner headlight 1.8 ohms
Driver's side outer headlight red wire to inner headlight 1.8 ohms
Driver's side turn signal black connected to yellow cannot be checked as this wire travels Into steering column, but red wire to turn signal light bulb socket is 1.8ohms

Passenger side outer headlight white wire 1.8 ohms
Passenger side outer headlight black wire 1.8 ohms
Passenger side outer headlight red+white wires to inner headlight 1.8 ohms
Passenger side outer headlight red wire to ground 1.8 ohms
I tried to identify unconnected yellow wire with a small round push on type connector was, I thought it might be a turn signal wire because there is a yellow wire connected to a black wire for driver's side turn signal, so I clipped the neg aligator clip to the post on junction block where the yellow/black wire connects to junction block before it leads to the driver's side turn signal and contacted the unconnected small round push on type connector under the dash near the gage cluster and got a reading of 1.8 ohms, then I tried contacting other areas, one also had a connected yellow wire connecting into what seems like "direction indicator", (L.H. left hand?) which is a Yellow wire.  I found in there immediate area two other wire, blue and orange, blue is possibly according to tsm electrical diagram a " inst. Cluster light (3bulbs req)" and orange is for "oil pressure indicator", all housings that these wires connect into will indicate the same resistantance reading, the same resistance reading is also indicated if the POS mm lead contacts the metal structure all these gages are attatched to. Maybe this is a bad thing?

Date Posted: Jun/30/2021 at 3:13pm
Thank you I appreciate it!! No, I’m in the States, NY to be specific. I’ll DM you some pics, thanks for your interest! 

Date Posted: Jul/02/2021 at 10:55pm
Here is a detailed pic of a difficulty, I cannot grab onto what remains of the chewed red wire in the plastic block, and I cannot seperate the plastic block to access the wires inside, I was starting to break the block so I stopped trying to grab what's left of the red wire and now am stuck, I want to replace the damaged wire before doing battery tests, but now I'm stuck......

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Jul/03/2021 at 8:20am
There is a way to remove the terminals ( female and male brass contacts) from any terminal block.  That white plastic assembly is a terminal block.  There may be other names for it.  Usually a small flat black screwdriver will depress the locking tab on the terminals like yours.  Do a YouTube search on removing electrical terminals or some such and get educated about it.  I recently had a similar challenge with a damaged headlight switch block that had to be replaced.

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Jul/06/2021 at 1:37pm
Ok, I got the terminal block seperated using a pair of channel locks and pulled it apart, the metal connectors Inside were alittle dirty but didn't look too bad, I wanted to try and save the connectors from the chewed wires, and it took alot of work prying with tiny screw drivers, and a razor knife. But yes Pacerman, you were right about the screwdriver, bit in my case it was cracking the plastic of the terminal block so I stopped that approach!
The "tabs" that are pressed down onto the strands of wire were quite scratched up after I was done, and I think I may use my dad's soldering gun and put alittle bit of solder over the ends of the wire and that last set of tabs that were very small to begin with and have been reduced in size from the work I did trying to pry them back up from the wire to release the old wire from them. I also stabbed myself with the tiny crew driver, I hope it doesn't get infected.... After I finish fixing these wires I can crimp them together with the other part of the wire then get on with the other electric tests after I finally buy a battery!!!

Posted By: troutwilly
Date Posted: Jul/06/2021 at 10:49pm
They do sell those connectors and I would recommend using new ones.  They have a specific name but I call them double crimp connectors.  You might find that those tabs will break off when you go to re-crimp them.  And practice on a few new connectors on spare spare wires before you attempt the real deal to make sure you can get the process right.  There is one size crimp for the bare wire and another for the coated wire.  They do sell single crimp connectors with the tangs to hold them in the connector block.  Check YouTube for "how to crimp wires."  "Eric the car guy" is pretty good.  This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LBf19MqPk" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LBf19MqPk among others, is good.
And if your good at soldering, go for it.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 1:22pm
Ok, I went to a store specifically selling and providing electrical equipment, they did have the connector type but it wasn't exactly the same, I think there was a big difference in the sides of the flat part of the connector and also it didn't have the locking tab that holds the connector in the terminal block.
But I'll go back and check again this morning...
Ok, I went o the store this morning and they didn't have those connectors, but miraculously the store right next door I didn't think would have them did! I almost always need a part number to get anything, but these little connectors were just sitting on the shelf for people to browse and I was able to take a look and after a minute I found them! What a success!! When I got back to my house after going to try and see my dad, which wasn't as successful because he wasn't home, so I just had a coffee and listend to Leonard Cohen, bit when I got back home I stripped new Lengths of wire and used the brand new connectors, didn't mess the job up at all! It's a good thing, cus there was only two connectors in the little box and that was the last pack the store had. now I have to wait untill I can go back and buy the shrink wrap, I knew I forgot something.... Also, about the wire I mentioned for the polarizing of the generator, I saw some old wire sitting in a free box, and grabbed the thickest one, it fits into the 10 gage stripping hole of the crimp tool, so I geuss I found the kind of wire I need to polarize the volt reg and generator when the time comes, unless anyone has advise against that. The wire looks pretty good, not corroded or anything, so it seems fine.

Date Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 5:17am
On another note, I'd like to proudly post this pic of such a beauty of a exhaust manifold that I had resurfaced at a machine shop, but not the same shop that did my engine, they said they did take pics of the work they did on the engine as the process went on, and I asked about seeing the pictures, but they kept saying we'll send them to you, but never sent them, after maybe four times I gave up asking, they said they would send me a detailed receipt with details about what kind of work was done on the engine aside from the details that were already on the previous receipt but they never sent me one either, it was a little frustrating... I think, if your really not interested in doing something, don't keep saying you will do it and not do it. That's what I think. I also think if there's a issue of some kind that falls in the domain of the warranty I will choose not to go back to them, I'll try and do it myself or take it to another person. I'm not hating them by saying this it's just that I had enough of people saying things they don't meen.
Anyways, this is the pic of a real beauty of a freshly resurfaced exhaust manifold in the sunlight of a summer sunset, holy moly! it got taken down 20,000ths of an inch and it looks so good, and I'm sure it'll do a great job sealing itself to the cyl head for the best exhaust exspulsion process possible and have great benefits to the engine. You should have seen what it looked like before! All crusty and had lots of green paint on the surfaces of the mating surface, didn't look like it would seal well at all.

Date Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 2:18pm
So, at this time with the advice or people here on the forum, I have decided to connect the battery I bought and do some other electric testing, I made sure to wear eye protection and read the instructions on the battery ( untill then I didn't know battery's emit harmful gases ) and I got a fire extinguisher ready near by, I connected the negative side first, like I've read about, and then the positive side last, there was a little sparks when I contacted the positive side to the battery, I wasn't sure if I shouldnt touch it with bare hands though, I'll have to do a fact check on that...
Anyways, I Revuewed a small list of things to do in a check list before I started the business with the battery, and reviewed the tsm about the operation of polarizing the volt regulator with the generator using a wire.
I had taken the generator and starter to a small shop that rebuilds them ect and they gave me a sheet of paper with polarizing instructions, on this sheet it specified to use a 10 gage wire to do this. Later, i found a bunch of crap in a free pile on someone's driveway and looked for a larger size wire that could POSSIBLY be 10 gage, when I got back to my apartment with all my crap in it I checked with the wire crimping tool I bot, and sleuthed the facts about this wire using up to date technical techniques, I used the wire crimpers stripping section to size the wire "10 gage" on the stranded side of the list of sizes....
Before I did the polarizing I tested this wire with the "ohms" function of the MM (multimeter) and observed it to be of optimal functionality at 2 ohms.
Then I got on with it, when I momentarily connected the wire between the two appropriate terminals there was BIG sparks, I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing to see or not so I decided to ask here to a few people and see what they say.
If anyone wants to see what exactly happened it will be uploaded later today on my YouTube channel documenting the progress or lack of progress on the rambler... 1958 AMC Rambler Super pt.40

Date Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 6:51pm
I just watched your recent video on the rambler. you NEVER wanna do what you did in that video, you probably didn’t damage anything, but it’s very easy to get a really nice electrical shock doing things like that . The generator feed has a LOT of amperage going through it, even without the generator spinning  What you want to do is disconnect the battery, properly hook up that yellow wire to where it’s supposed to go, make sure no copper strands are poking out or touching any of the other terminals on the voltage regulator. THEN reconnect the battery, never add something into the circuit while it’s “hot” (meaning while the battery is connected) never plug something in or plug something off while there’s power going through the car  unless it’s the negative battery terminal cable. 

Date Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 9:25pm
Soooo, if I followed the instructions in the tsm like you can see, what did I do wrong? The yellow wire is the "jumper lead" the tsm advised a jumper wire (ust piece of wire) to polarize the generator, so that yellow wire isn't supposed to do anything but polarize the volt regulator, so it's not supposed to go anywhere.

Date Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 10:38pm
I also just watched the video and see your also learning to weld.  Just kidding.

I did a Google search on polarizing the generator and it was confusing because one said to do like you did, but several others said to connect the Batt terminal and the Armature terminal. I would do some searching and reading for yourself.

You could have kept the battery connected and done the other tests.  I now see that there's no way it will accidentally start.  Try the headlights, dome lights, and brake lights just for fun, but to get it to run you need to ensure you get 9 to 12 volts at the coil in both the "start" and "run" key position.  So connect the MM as suggested, turn the key and read the voltage at both key positions.  You said in the video that there was a blue and green wire to the starter so I'm gonna say it'll work.

Oh, make sure you have a ground wire from the engine to the frame/chassis.  That will complete the circuit for the lights and such.

And also in the video, when you showed in the vehicle under the passenger side of the dash, is that the blue wire that connects to the ignition switch that's hanging down?  If so, cut the exposed wire off, and tape / seal /  or shrink wrap the end so it can't short to anything.  I don't have your wiring diagram but I'm gonna guess it goes to the heater blower.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/12/2021 at 3:08am
What you did wrong was trying to touch it to the voltage regulator with power going to the car. Take the negative battery cable off, hook up that wire like it’s supposed to be hooked up, then put the battery cable back once youre done 

Date Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 1:56am
Ok, hi trout willy,  yes next time Ill do that headlights test and ect, I'll take another looks and see if the blower motor is accessable to see if the blue wire has popped out of its place, that's the best idea and explanation for it so far, and yes I also did some research on polarizing volt regulators this morning and also found conflicting advice... it think it's because there are different types of volt regulators around....the tsm I have for my car should have the exact method appropriate for the volt regulator I have, unless it's different from previous owners changing it......and ramblr58, so I should disconnect the negative battery cable going to the ground on the cyl head then touch the wire to those terminals again then put the neg battery cable back on, and that's it? Darnit I wish the tsm would have given me that hint!!! The tsm doesn't say that at all.

Date Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 9:08am
I'd leave that polarizing thing alone for now.  You followed the directions, got a little (actually a lot) more spark than expected, so I'd say its done.  Besides, you don't want sparks like that near the battery...that's when they go kaboom.

I'd hook the battery back up.  Test the voltage at the coil in "run" and "start."  And if successful, put the rest of the engine back together and get it running.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 11:47pm
So if I disconnected the battery and took it out of the rambler completely, I would not need to do the polarizing operation again? It says in the tsm when ever the leads are disconnected to do the polarizing before it's strted up again. 
Ive asked about it on the electrical thread I have but no one has given me specific advice about it so I feel alittle uncertain about it.

Date Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 10:03am
I'd say its polarized, but I've never done anything like that before. Once you get the engine running you can check to see if its charging and go from there.

As for the battery, leave it in the car.  No point in hoisting it in and out of the car all the time.  Just disconnect one of the cables from it when you don't need the power.  Your neg cable looks to be the easiest.  And you can cover the battery with a towel or something when your working around it to make sure you don't drop a tool across the posts.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 6:25pm
Generators need to be polarized after sitting for a while, and no, they don’t need to be re polarized after removing the battery. I’d make sure you actually need to do it first. My rambler that has been sitting for over 50 years somehow did not need to be polarized. The minute I put the fan to generator belt on and started the car. I disconnnected the battery from the car and it kept running, that’s because generators make enough power to keep itself running 

Date Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 7:41pm
WHOA! ok holy smokes, disconnecting the battery thing is pretty cool. I'll copy paste my electric update here...

Ok, the dimmer switch nob totally sounded crusty, so next time I'll try and turn it to brush off the corrosion like and hope that helps... ok,  the tail lights didn't work when I pressed the brake pedal when the key was in the "run" position, the headlights still didn't work, I took the MM and tested with the neg lead on a grounded spot and positive lead at all three posts of the small junction block near the headlights, and the only time a reaction with the MM was witnessed was when the positive lead contacted the middle post (middle of three posts, also, the MM was set for 12v and the tests were done with the headlights activated) and the needle in the MM went to the other end of the dial. Then i took the driver's side headlights out of their sockets, and put the only headlight that worked from the passenger side of the car Into the socket of the driver's side headlight socket and it worked! So this shows that the wiring is not the problem, then i thought maybe the reason the inner headlight won't work is because maybe the outer side has to complete a circuit first(?) For the inner headlight to work, so I switched it, and plugged it into the outer driver's side headlight socket and plugged one of the new headlights into the inner socket, and tested it, and it still didn't work..... So.... Maybe the new headlights, which are different because they are halogen and only have two metal pieces that plug into the connector won't work with the old connectors...
 But that doesn't fully explain why they don't get power because the inner socket ALSO  has only two plug holes.... I'll explain that more... The headlights are two sets of two, one outer headlight and one inner headlight for each passenger and driver's side of the rambler, but the headlight connector on the outer side has a three plug hole interface, but the inner headlight connectors only has two plug holes... So I don't get it.
I looked and saw the new headlight brass metal things that plug into the connector DO have marks on them from fully inserting Into the connector, so it's connecting.
The top post of the junction block in focus here at this time has three wires total, two wires leading to headlights on both sides of the rambler, and a wire leading back into the rambler to the high beam indicator, the middle post has wires leading to those headlights as well and also a wire leading away back into the car to the headlight switch, the bottom post has wires leading to each turn signal and also has a wire leading back into the rambler to the "p" on the wiring diagram at the light switch and circuit breaker. 
BUT the only post that had a reaction on the ohm test was the middle post, even though both turn signal lights worked and the other side of the headlights worked after I plugged in the old headlight.
Also, following troutwillys direction, i did a ohm test at the positive terminal of the coil and put the neg lead to a ground, turned the key to the "run" position and the MM went all the way over to the other end of the dial, then, I turned the key all the way, just for a small moment to the start position to see if the starter would activate AND IT DID! it was very exciting! This also measured the same amount of volts on the MM.
After that I reset TDC and five degrees BTDC and disconnected the battery and called it a night as it was dark.
Also, when I turned the key to the "run" position, the red lights for the oil and charge lights in the dash lit up, is that a normal occurance when the key is turned to the run position?
These developments are such a relief!!! Finally some substantial progress!
What would Jesus do?  Also, What would you advise me to do ?

Date Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 11:41pm
This all sounds promising.  Starter turns the engine over.  Coil gets power in both run and start key positions.  All you need is fuel, but put the rest of the engine back together first.

You have a 4 headlight system.  The inner headlights are high beam only, therefore they only need 2 wires, a pos and and a neg (ground).  The outer headlights are both high and low beam, therefore they need 3 wires.  They are different, you need 2 of each type headlight.  In your 3 prong connector, one is ground (or neg (-)), one is for high beam (+), one is for low beam (+).  The high beam wire probably jumps from the 3 prong connector over to the 2 prong connector. And then there's the wire that runs to the red "high beam" indicator in the dash to let you know your high beams are on.
The "p" connector on the headlight switch is for parking lights.  Its the first click when you pull out the headlight switch.  The second click out turns on the headlights, and probably leaves the parking lights on.
The power to your headlights runs from the dash switch to the high beam switch on the floor.  This floor switch simply switches the power from low beam to high beam and back to low beam.  These floor switches are notorious for causing problems.  If you've checked everything and headlights still don't work properly you can check the high beam switch connections and operation, but there's a lot of power going through there so make sure you turn the headlight switch off and disconnect the battery first, or you'll be welding again.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/17/2021 at 11:21am
Well, last night after work i tested the headlight floor switch and all the headlights worked! Well except for the burnt out bulb. So I geuss now I'll take a look at it and do some volt testing I geuss, I'll take the floor covering off and disconnect the battery and examine the floor switch and see if I can notice anything obvious that's wrong with it.
I also ordered a new one and I'll put that in when I get it.
 Any tips in the mean time?

Date Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 11:07am
Ok, last night I tried packing the oil pump with vaseline, and I did...it wasn't a tough job or anything... just messy and when I was putting the bolts back in they kept squishing themselves out, But I noticed there was no gasket that the engine builder put on, there wasn't a gasket under the cap or under the housing next to the block. So now I'm waiting to see what tomj will say about that and give me some advice on what to do, he told me that gasket for the oil pump is used as a gasket of course but it also provides a small amount of distance between certain components of the oil pump that help it function properly...., and he will also let me know where to put this gasket, either under the cap or the housing (but not under my coffee cup that I bought off the waffle house website)....i have one, it's in the kitchen with the other gaskets, I tried to take the pump right off the engine but I couldn't because the steering pitman arm, I maybe it's called the idler arm, is in the way and I can't take it all the way off, so I hope he won't be telling me the gasket goes under the housing, because that will meen I have a whole other can of worms to deal with, taking off parts of the steering.... But maybe it won't be that bad? 
Last night I tried to torque down the harmonic balancer, (I kept putting that last finishing part of the installation off and finally got to it) but the engine kept turning and wasn't able to stop it from turning to get the torque of 70or80 pounds with the torque wrench... It might be different now with the spark plugs in plugging the cylinders....
I also put in the spark plugs last night, just have to take off the dizzy and coil to torque them down. I was also thinking it would be good to get new high tension leads/spark plug wires, it would make things look just alittle cooler under the hood :)
I also put on two new water hoses, there red because there was no black at the store, that also made things look alittle cooler under the hood, not to mention the new spark plugs, yep, that engine is starting to look like a engine these days!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 11:32pm
I'm of no help with the oil pump.  But doesn't your TSM show a blow-up or assembly picture of it?

On the headlights, which one was not working?
Make sure you have the correct headlights in the correct location....3-prong headlights in the outer positions, 2-prong headlights in the inner positions.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 10:29pm
Ok, tomj told me there is a gasket for each location unfortunately... There is a gasket I have for under the cover but I haven't seen one for the pump to block location.
So now I guess I dont have to check the tsm, but it's gunna be so easy so I will. I think there was only a short write up about the oil pump but no exploded type view of the pump.
Ok, there was a exploded view of the pump, BUT the view revealed the oil pump gasket only under the cap, and doesn't resemble the one I have to use, and there is also NO other gasket that tomj describes under the pump housing and between the block.
Weird.
Also,
 The new headlights don't work at all, I had two of them on the driver's side , outer and inner, and no activity....nothing.... Just like the first time they went to the T-Rex pen in Jurassic park....nothing.
BUT! When I thought "I wonder what this will do?" And I put the old outer passenger side headlight into the outer driver's side headlight socket and turned on the headlights it worked..... It was weird, just like the idea of Winona Ryder not being a shoplifter, weird.

Date Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 2:42am
Oooook, something weird also happened when I was torqueing down the Inspection side cover plates, the tsm specifies to torque those to 30-40 ft pounds, but when I was torquing them they wouldn't finish tightening....and I swear they started to bend and the cork gasket was squishing out, so I got nervous and stopped thinking maybe the long torque wrench I was using wasn't the tsm thought I would be using and it wasn't torqueing because the torque wrench was very long and there was a massive amount of leverage.
It was a frustrating moment I had around 1130 in the night and it made me pretty mad I seemed to be wrecking my car following the tsm procedure.

Date Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 11:25pm
If you're torquing onto a cork gasket, it might be inch-pounds (in-lbs) not foot pounds. 
If so, now make sure the inspection cover contact surfaces are flat.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 10:33am
Yes they were flat but now it kinda looks like the top edge of the inspection cover is bent alittle. And I don't think it specified wether to use ft pound or inch pounds actually. (Just checked, and it did... I just didn't use my brain enough)(don't think that will change either.....)
I really would feel good throwing that tsm straight in the trash.

Anyways, last night I made alot of progress!!! And with no help from that stupid tsm.
I carefully bent and installed the main feed line 1/8 inner diameter size metal pipe for the oil network as well as the oil filter base, and the larger 3/16 inner diameter size return oil pipe from the oil filter base to the crank case. The second sized 1/8 inner diameter feed line going from the "t" fitting in the cylinder head to the oil filter base was juuuuuuust a tiny bit too short, and no matter how much I tried to get as much extension out of that pipe it was still maybe 2 inches too short to make the connection to the filter base, so i will have to maybe look at seeing if I can use a fitting to connect a extender pipe, or just use the longer 20inche pipe, which will end up looking really bad with all that extra pipe..... Maybe 9inches of extra pipe.
I think the next available size in length from that size is 20 inches...darnit..... But I'll check again.
Ok, it is 20 inches, and the 1/8 pipe that was about 2 Inches too short was the 12 inches length, so that would be about 15 inches when it makes the connection to the filter base, so 20 minus 15 is 5, so that will probably be about 5 inches of extra pipe, so that's not too bad after all. I was gunna buy some before work bit I didn't because that store did not have the same looking type of brake line, it didn't have the black coating on the outside. I'll wait, I have time since the exhaust pipe gasket doesn't fit and I need to find a new one.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 1:09am
Dam! The exhaust pipe gasket (not manifold gasket) that tomj had on his parts list doesn't fit my exhaust pipe, we have the same engine..... Now I'm f'ed and back to square one on that issue again.
Ok, I measured the inside diameter of the exhaust pipe and it has a inner diameter of 1 27/32,  I just researched the inner diameter of the gasket I thought would work for my rambler that I used from tomj part list and that gasket is 1 13/16 inner diameter.....
I looked with the measurement I took from the exhaust pipe on my rambler and searched far and wide on the internet and found a gasket that is also a "doughnut" and the measurement for the inner diameter for that gasket is 1 25/32, but I'm not sure if there would be a problem with using a gasket that's alittle smaller, so I've asked tomj what he thinks. As far as my thinking is going, I don't see a problem with that gasket, but I don't know everything, so that's why I've asked.

Date Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 4:34pm
Ok, tomj says there is no gasket used between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe... It's just a formed rounded edge that fits into the manifold.... He showed me a picture of what it looks like, I thought that maybe mine would look like that but it doesn't. 
Hmmmmmmmm..........
He said maybe I could get a muffler shop to make me something..... Man!!! So many strange problems with this rambler..... I don't wanna start being negative here but I got something to say about the rambler and how it's effecting my life....

This rambler is starting to burn me out, I'm getting really frustrated, this morning I went to the fitting store to buy a new compression fitting for the tiny oil pressure tube, the guy at the store was going to sell me the whole bit but I said no I only need this part here, when I got back to my house the new fitting had a shallower depth the tube stops at, so I couldn't use the other fitting that compresses onto the tube when both other fittings are threaded onto to each other.... And I got so mad!!! I have to go all the way back there on two buses and walking ect goddam.... I threw the fitting I couldn't use and stomped the crap of the bumper.... I been working real hard since December and im getting burnt out and wanna sell the rambler and just it out of my life, but only on bad days, but I been having more and more bad days lately....

Date Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 11:45am
Ok, tomj let me know there is no gasket between exhaust pipe and manifold, but a formed part of the pipe that fits into the manifold, heres what mine looks like and am hoping it will work out, I put it together and tightened it down last night, (man it was kinda though wrestling around the exhaust while holding a camera!)

Date Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 4:13pm
I have also another bump in the road recently....
The gasket for the oil pump I talked about earlier, there was one after all between the pump and block, but there still needs one between the cover and body of pump.... There was a super paper thin gasket there, it was so small I didn't even notice it, it was in tatters when I finally saw it, the pump is still on the block and I at this time haven't taken off the idler arm, or pitman arm if that's what it's called to completely remove the pump, now that I have seen the gasket between the pump and block I dont have to!!!! 
Bit here's a pic of the gasket I have that I am not sure if it will work, this gasket does not completely have the same shape but an experienced person might say that it can still function as a gasket, or at least for the 20 minute initial break in......
(This other gasket with the funny looking channel carved into it isnt the one in question, but the one that's sitting on the cover of the pump)

Ok, tomj saw the pics and he says the gasket ontop of the cover is a no go.
Last night I thought of something.... What if the old gasket is still on the back of the old oil pump? What if it is still there and I can use it, just switch the covers and put the old pump cover on the new pump and solve the problem of not having the gasket?
So I asked tomj what he thinks, he seems like he will know.

Date Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 12:46pm
Ok, tomj got back to me and said usually reusing a gasket is a bad idea, but if it's got no nicks or marks on it to use some sealer and use it, bit he didn't recommend it.
He also mentioned to me that I could find some gasket paper of .009 thickness, he said I could find it at summit racing but when I searched it I searched using all the different ways of typing in the search title for the .009 thick gasket paper but couldn't find it, it wasn't there... I also searched in some different places but nothing else pipped up either.
So, I remembered the name on the box of gaskets the engine builder gave me, it was best gasket set, so I searched that and there was a whole engine gasket set they sell, but the don't sell it to people only to businesses, so, I found a place very near me in Washington that sells not only the gasket set, but also sells individual ones, so I orderd the gasket I needed, gasket 3436(I think) and can expect it in a few days from ups, the gasket will cost around $5 but all the rest of the cost with shipping is around $40. Oh well, I need it.
So yesterday I installed the break in oil, I was careful o calculate how much 4 quarts is in cups, and made sure I put the right amount in, not too much or too little, I poured alittle into the oil filter too and also two cups into the valve cover area so it would drain down Into the engine with gravity, just to prelube the engine alittle, I freaked out alittle when I heard some oil dribbling sounds and I looked into the plastic oil pan I bought to put under the oil pan just incase it started leaking out of the oil pan nut I replaced, even though I checked it already to see if it made a good seal. I also drilled a 1/8 hole in the side of the thermostat like tomj advised on his website, installed the thermostat gasket and wrenched it on there. I asked farna if I should pour some engine coolant Into the thermostat housing hole before I put on the thermostat and gasket, but he said I don't need to, and pouring it in the radiator will be fine, so I looked in the tsm, and the coolant capacity is 11 quarts, so that's just over 10 liters, so I bought three bottle of premixed coolant, each 3.78 liters, so I'll have to be carefull not to overfill the radiator tonight now that the thermostat and gasket is installed and dry.
Now I'm waiting for the oil pump gasket... After that comes and I put it in behind the cover, I won't have to much left to do before the key gets turned for the very first time, I was having a family visit last week and was trying to get it all done so my cousins nine year old little boy could be the one to turn the key, but there was no way that could happen. But the little guy helped me put the tiny oil pressure tube fittings together at least, he said to his m in french because their from Quebec, that he wanted to drive a old car that had a gas engine, before they all turn into electric cars, so it was kind of a bummer he didn't get to start the engine that day.... But he didn't know that was my plan, but I told his mum and her face lit up with joy at that idea!

Date Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 12:06am
Another bump in the road!!! I thought I had this whole thing worked out with the water temp sensor, that screws into the block by the thermostat housing, but when I went to screw it in I saw there was no way it screws Into there.... The water temp gage under the dash, the new sensor won't fit into this spot to temp the coolant.... I'm stumped! 
I still have the old one bit it doesn't have the accuracy of different temps though.... It only has a small light in the dash that activates so there will not be any amount of degrees.. oh well, I do have a small 1/8 hole drilled into the side of the thermostat to prevent the engine from overheating so that is reassuring... For now. (After werk I found a adapter fitting to use to solve the problem, so it's installed now!)
Also, when I went to pour in the coolant I noticed it was orange Instead o green, and on the bottle it said ",for GM vehicles" so I thought maybe I bought the wrong kind, so I asked farna and I'll see what he says... you never know right?

Date Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 11:07pm
Something strange has been observed, I noticed a filmy appearence to the break in oil at the bottom of the bottle, and thought maybe this is very good stuff for the engine as it's breaking in, you know like additives or the extra zinc... So I really wanted to get it in the engine so I had a plan to drain some of the oil and be able to pour the other oil with the additives at the bottom of the bottle into the engine, BUT! when I want to pour out the last of the oil into the measuring cup, I noticed there was only two cups left, and not four.
According to the Internet, there is four cups in a quart, and there is apparently 5 quarts in that bottle of break in oil, so I started thinking, how come there's not 4 cups which is 1 quart left in the bottle of break in oil when there should be, since I carefully measured and recorded each 2 cups I poured into the engine?
Then I wondered if I made a mistake, and didn't record one of the cups, but I don't think so, I would write it down and put alittle check mark after each 2 cups was poured I to the engine, just to be careful, and I triple checked and counted each 2 cups untill I was triple sure 16 cups were in the engine, totaling 4quarts the engine is supposed to have according to the TSM.
Then I started thinking maybe the measuring cup I bought for this specific big job at Canada tired could be inaccurate? So I went inside and used a super old measuring cup for baking, and poured in 1 cup of water, took it out to the rambler, poured it into the measuring cup I used for initially  Calculation of how much oil was being poured into the ramblers engine and saw that measuring cup did not have one cup in it, but 2/3 of 1cup.... So, either that other measuring cup is Inaccurate too, or there was an extra 1/3 of a cup of oil poured Into the engine, totalling a total of 1/3 times 16 equals just over 5 extra cups...bit how could there be the extra 5 cups if there's apparently only 4 cups in 1 quart and there was only 2cups left in the bottle of oil....?
This is bad.
What if I didn't come across any of this and started up the engine and it poped it's seal?
This needs to be sorted out for sure. I think I'll go back to Canada tired and buy a proper oil measuring cup and use that, and then check and see what's observed.

Date Posted: Aug/02/2021 at 3:54pm
Buy oil in quart bottles, or a 5 quart jug. 

Date Posted: Aug/02/2021 at 11:23pm
I'm gonna guess your a victim of the difference between "Imperial" and "US" quarts and pints (See chart below).  So if your measuring cup (purchased in Canada) was of the "Imperial" type and you wanted to add "US" amounts, you added about 2 ounces more per "cup" than you should have. (I found this info Googling "Imperial vs standard measurements.") I don't think think you have a real problem though.  A lot of us run an extra 1/2 quart (= 1 pint = 16 ounces = 2 cups) in our V-8s to compensate for the slow drain back.  You're not going to run the heck out the engine during break-in and will change out the break-in oil relatively quickly.
But if you're going to lose sleep over it your only option is to drain it all back out into a very clean bucket and start all over.

Unit of MeasurementImperial SystemMetric EquivalentU.S. System Metric Equivalent
1 ounce 1 (fluid) oz. 28.41 mL 1 (fluid) oz. 29.57 mL
1 gill 5 (fluid) oz. 142.07 mL Not commonly used
1 cup Not commonly used
8 (fluid) oz. 236.59 mL
1 pint 20 (fluid) oz. 568.26 mL 16 (fluid) oz. 473.18 mL
1 quart 40 (fluid) oz. 1.137 L 32 (fluid) oz. 946.36 mL
1 gallon160 (fluid) oz.4.546 L128 (fluid) oz.3.785 L

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Aug/02/2021 at 11:55pm
Ok. Hi sweatlock it was a "Lucas oil" 5quart jug, and holy moly troutwilly thanks for taking the time to type that all out! 
Yeah farna had told me not to worry about it, but I hadn't read that yet and during the meantime I had bought a actual measuring for automotive needs that had a quart measurement on it and drained all the oil after Jacki g up the rambler so it was leaning and drained it all and started over with the new measuring cup, and at the end of it there was only one quart left in the jug! I also put on a new set of points in the dizzy and set the point gap to .16 per tsm specs....

Date Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 6:15pm
Ok. Last week I got a call from my landlord and he said he got a letter from the city saying that my car and it's condition is violating a bylaw and I have to have plates on the car and have it covered by August 9th, but I'm going to try and appeal it.

Date Posted: Aug/07/2021 at 11:48am
A important thought came to mind quite awhile ago but now it's next in line for my attention... The spring that prevents the clutch fork from falling away from it's pivot point inside the bellhouse, I have two old springs, that I am unaware of what there purpose was, but hooked both together to hold this tension between those two places temporarily, but now I'm chasing down the knowledge to answer this next question for the rambler....
If that fork falls off the pivot point the engine will have to be disconnected from the bellhouse.... A big pain in the butt for me....
I'd like to buy a new spri g, even though those two old ones are still capable of holding tension, but I'm asking if anyone knows which type or size of spring SHOULD be used to do this job for the long term... As usual, that info ain't in the amc bible. (The TSM).

Date Posted: Aug/07/2021 at 9:57pm
Another thot has been on my mind, if the new oil pump gasket has been torqued down and crushed, will I need a new one now? I took off the cover to see if the gasket had a crinkle in it since the bolt holes didn't completely line up with the gasket, and I took off the cover to check and see but I couldn't see anything wrong with it so I put it back on, now I need new split washers and am wondering if I need a new gasket since that one, even though it's only .009 inche thick had been torqued down..... I made a thread question about it, I just made it and want some Input on the matter immediately but I know I'll have to wait....

Posted By: Softbuster
Date Posted: Aug/08/2021 at 7:56am
For the local government, if all they want is a cover on it and license plates thats not too bad.
They just want to know that you are not starting a junk yard  or parting cars out for eternity.
If you fight them they might demand that the car leave the property.
Also, keeping the property around the car clean and tidy (no tools or parts laying around)
will go a long way in showing you care about appearances.

-------------
85 Eagle sedan rescue project

Date Posted: Aug/08/2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

Another thot has been on my mind, if the new oil pump gasket has been torqued down and crushed, will I need a new one now? I took off the cover to see if the gasket had a crinkle in it since the bolt holes didn't completely line up with the gasket, and I took off the cover to check and see but I couldn't see anything wrong with it so I put it back on, now I need new split washers and am wondering if I need a new gasket since that one, even though it's only .009 inche thick had been torqued down..... I made a thread question about it, I just made it and want some Input on the matter immediately but I know I'll have to wait....

How much torque are we talking about here? In-lbs? If so and the gasket is .009” I can’t see it crushing much, if at all. As long as it came off in one piece you’re probably okay. On the other hand, how much does a gasket cost? If it will put your mind at ease then it’s cheap peace of mind. 

Date Posted: Aug/10/2021 at 9:53am
Softbuster, yes you are right keeping the area clean goes along way, and I like to have the place tidy but no matter how much I sweep there's always more super fine dust that blows down onto the flat area of the driveway where I do most of my work, and there's a endless supply of leafs blowing around.
Its not the big if a deal to put plates on the car and insurance, after all, I was going to do that anyway to drive it, possibly, but I'm having a hard time pictureing myself actually driving the car, I have bad feelings about the shifter capabilities for instance, it seems clunky and gets stuck often, I adjusted it a few months back but I think I'll have to work on the adjustments again, the shifter is the main concern, also, it seems to be making a new "clacking" sound when the shifter handle is moved ever since my cousins nine year old son was having fun in the driver's seat when he was visiting two weeks ago and was playing with the steering wheel and also I geuss what ever he could get his hands on!!! and I'm worried he didn't know he needed to be gentle and maybe ruffed it up a it and broke something....
there rust here and there and the gas tank needs to be cleaned, or at least I want to, I don't know if it's dirty or what, bit I want to clean it for peace of mind, and also put on new fuel lines too....and I see there's a few things wrong with the electrical system concerning headlight function stuff and I do t know how the transmission will perform, so putting plates on it is what I want to do, the city isn't forcing me to do something I don't want to do, I was thinking of getting personalized lisence plates for once in my life too!
Also, sweatlock your right, it's only a small inexpensive paper gasket, it cost about five bucks, but the ups post cost was like another forty... Yesterday I orderd another gasket, three actually, just in case, and also two more Inspection plate covers / side plate covers because I torqued down one of them way too much since I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and made the mistake of torqueing it down to foot pounds instead of inches pounds, so I bent the side plate alittle, and since then I've wanted to take it off, bend the metal back alittle, and re do the gasket job with a new gasket, so I suppose those will come in the mail by next week....but this time I will take the razor knife and break off the used segment so I'm using a new piece of the razor, and carefully slice off a small sliver of the gasket that presses up against that one bolt, so the gasket will not get bunched up like this one did when the cover gets pressed on.
 I finished filling the coolant into the engine, I got the green stuff this time!!! although for some reason there isn't enough room for the last 1.5 liters... Maybe after the engine has been running and the water pump has been turning the coolant will fill all those places in the water jackets of the engine and make room for that last bit of coolant.

Posted By: weekendclimber
Date Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 11:15am
Man, just read through this thread. Sounds like you're getting it done. Don't get frustrated, just take a few minutes and walk away. Then come back with a fresh attitude and perspective. As long as you get a little bit done here and there, sooner or later you'll find you'll be behind the wheel cruising around with a smile Smile

Date Posted: Aug/12/2021 at 6:54pm
Thanks for the reading of my thread weekendclimber, but I am getting pretty close to the start up, I just ran into another problem yesterday evening, I noticed the upper radiator hose was leaking and I'll need to clean up the contact area of the hose and the metal part the hose gets clamped onto.
After that it's on with the whole putting the gasket on the oil pump, it would be nice to have the throttle links to the gas pedal and carb figured out..... It's been made to work by the prev owner, so it's a puzzle I got stumped trying to figure out and I haven't been able to make progress on it, I think those details might be in the video I made.... Maybe 1958 AMC Rambler Super  pt.40 something??? Usually the videos have descriptions of what I was trying to do, if anyone wants to take a look and tell me what they think I'd appreciate it!

Date Posted: Aug/12/2021 at 9:22pm
Part 54.

-------------
Bill O.
70 AMX

Date Posted: Aug/13/2021 at 10:17am
Pt.54 is the most recent video, but the only video I have made that I discuss that particular piece of modified carb throttle links is in video 38. And it's not the best video to reference for that newer carb and linkage that is confusing me as I only hold that modified piece in my hand and the newer carb it was used with (apparently, since it still smelled like gas and had very good movement and return spring action) was not mounted so the incomplete interaction was not being demonstrated. 
I'll make another one today specificly about that and post it soon, I'll be posting video pt.55 today, but the carb link mystery will be video pt.56.

Date Posted: Aug/13/2021 at 11:47pm
Headlights are all werking!!!  I followed a forum members advice and bought a headlight that had three prongs and plugged it into the outer headlight connector then moved the two prong headlight and replaced that other inner one that was burnt out on the passenger side, hooked up the batty and they all light up now! Geeze laweeze, I'm not the smartest knife in the drawer I geuss to figure that out on my own, but oh well.
Here's the pic, and it's glorious! The rambler comes to life!

Posted By: motorhead_1
Date Posted: Aug/14/2021 at 2:13pm
nice pic! reminiscent of Christine from the Stephen King movie/book  

-------------
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra

Date Posted: Aug/16/2021 at 12:49pm
Yes it is! Even though the rambler drives me crazy I'm still myself and not going as nuts as that guy who owned Christine in the movie.
On another note, I finished connecting the tach but didnt have complete success... Here's some copy paste text of some of what I did.
I connected the black ground wire previously to the same ground location as the ground location for the volt regulator, but when you told me there was no need to put the ground through firewall I moved it to the bunch of grounds under the dash near the new gage cluster, and I also looked around the light switch for a place to connect the white wire, and eventually found a place to experiment with, it was a twist type of connector for a white white(I think) and a brown wire, so I noticed it was affiliated with the lights so I unscrewed the plastic thimble twist type connector and twisted the white tach wire into it and moved on....
I put the red tach wire on the IGN post, which is also "run".
When I connected the battery the courtesy lights came on since I left the door open, and when those lights came on so did the light for the tach, but when I closed the door the courtesy light wehnt out and so did the tach light..... When I activated the headlights, and even when I turned on the key switch to the IGN or run position, the tach light did not illuminate, so that was a failure, but a mmentary one, I can reroute that white wire later today and try a diff spot, also, I noticed two out of four new gage lights are now not lighting up, maybe I jossled something, or maybe what I did with the ground somehow disturbed tye delicate connection for their ground spot and now thats why the lights don't work for them....
Hmmmm, what about this idea, what if I put the white wire for the lach light on the same post as the red tach wire, which always had power as long as the key is turned to the IGN post or the "run" key spot on the switch?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net