URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107968
Printed Date: Apr/16/2024 at 7:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rebuild Cost Torque-Command
Posted By: The Rebel Alliance
Subject: Rebuild Cost Torque-Command
Date Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 5:29pm

Hi all,

What do you think the rebuild cost is of a Torque-Command in my 74 Matador 304 incl. torque conveter at a tranny shop parts and labour and all? Everything up here is more expensive, but trying to see what you guys think is fair.

The tranny shop says it's completely hooped (I sold the car then bought it back with the bad tranny - PO said it was slipping in second then clunk) - oil pump is trashed, gears worn off - looks like it suffered some sort of oil starvation. The shop says it looks 'real bad', so the claim is that it's not just resealing it/gaskets and what not.

I don't know much about automatic transmissions having owned manual cars 95% of my life.

Replies:
Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 6:06pm
Wow.  It sounds like all that is salvageable is the case and valve body.  What I would do is get a donor Mopar transmission for the internals and have yours rebuilt using those parts.  Cost?  $500 for a donor transmission and $2000 for a rebuild.  Both of those numbers are on the high side but it's never bad to come in cheaper.  Just my two cents.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: RandyB
Date Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 6:09pm
Depends on the shop, its just a mopar tranny, so parts are not scarce or expensive. Call around, I just had my m11 rebuilt and they replaced a lot and it was $1,100 w/tax. I had quotes up to $2.200, so look hard. Don't go to Aamco or any national shop.

-------------
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk

Posted By: bobsterfl
Date Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 6:52pm
You might want to give Jasper Engines and Transmissions a call. They sell a fully warranted transmission.  Might be worth a call (800)827-7455.

-------------
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight

Posted By: bbgjc
Date Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 7:43pm
Stay the heck away from Jasper.  I've had numerous of the "rebuilt" Jasper engines come through my hands and they were crap. 

You can get excellent 727 rebuild parts from Alto, Sonnex, Transtar and Superior to rebuild that trans.
If the hard parts are really messed up than most likely the case has suffered damage- where all the bushings are involved, may be out of round.     The pump is going to be trashed since it probably is falloff metal "glitter".

Date Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 11:44pm
Thanks for the replies.

I was quoted about $2000USD parts and labour by a reputable shop - incl rebuilt torque converter, oil pump (trashed as bbgjc says) etc, etc....the shop will give a 5 year warranty. I was quoted more like $1500-$1600 USD but now that he's got it he says it's worse than he was expecting.

I called up three of the best shops and they were all in that price range.

Problem is I'm north of the border so ordering heavier parts with the border closed is pretty much a non-starter so I'm limited to shops and parts supply up here, plus I have to factor in the costs of another tow or two plus time hassle.

Just curious how much I'm getting creamed.

Posted By: 1970390amx
Date Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 12:32am
I would put it this way, 10-12 hours how much do they charge an hour? Likely about 1200$ You can buy a kit and a converter for about 250$ on ebay. plus what ever they want to use for hard parts. And they will not sell parts as cheap as they buy them for. So 1800 to 2000$ is not out of the question. Do it yourself it is one of the easy transmissions to work on.

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 2:28am
$2000 sounds very reasonable if it's a trashed as you make it out to be, especially if that includes the needed parts. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Date Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 8:33am
Thanks for the replies.
The condition is based on the shop's recommendations - I'll be sure to get a full parts list - but there is a leap of faith as I have to rely on the shop's reviews and my gut.

As for myself, it's a good idea but I have no time to do it myself - two jobs and three small kids - I don't mind tinkering, replacing starters and what not, but I just don't have time to leave a project sprawled out for months (I'd probably have 2-3 hours a week to screw with it).

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 10:39am
The biggest challenge to working on an automatic transmission is cleaning the parts, keeping them clean, and reassembling them in a clean environment.  The first TF I ever did (16 years old) I followed the shop manual religiously.  When it said remove pan bolts, they got removed, cleaned, and put in a paper envelope marked 'pan bolts'.  This is what takes time.  When I went together I did it in the kitchen of my grandad's house (he had passed away).  IIRC, it took about a day to get it together.  When my brother sold the car it went into, it had over 30,000 miles of trouble-free service.  So it can be done by a novice with a book.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: XJ6
Date Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 3:24pm
I purchased my last 2 racing transmissions outright (727 and 904) from CRT transmission. One of the premier TF builders in the country.  Bolt in and go. Here is a link to the site 904 page. He does have AMC cores available typically

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/?product_cat=904" rel="nofollow - https://www.coperacingtrans.com/?product_cat=904

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net