Print Page | Close Window

Kenosha Homecoming 2021 CANCELED

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Upcoming Shows and Events
Forum Description: AMC related shows, auctions or events go here. Announce club events here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107589
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 7:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kenosha Homecoming 2021 CANCELED
Posted By: gtoman_us
Subject: Kenosha Homecoming 2021 CANCELED
Date Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 9:23pm
CANCELED

July 27 (Tuesday) -July 31 (Saturday) 2021

http://www.kenoshahistorycenter.org/events.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.kenoshahistorycenter.org/events.html

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Replies:
Posted By: PROSTOCKTOM
Date Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 9:43pm
I'll be there. Smile

Tom

-------------
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 10:07pm
If the wife's second knee replacement works out we'll be there.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 10:44pm
Hopefully the border is open and things settle down with the civil unrest by then!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: theamcguy
Date Posted: Sep/22/2020 at 10:28am
Anyone know if they will hold a drag racing event on Sunday 1 Aug?  

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham
AMCRC. AMCWC, AMO, NAMDRA

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Sep/22/2020 at 11:29am
Maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel and this is it !

Kenosha 2021.

I'd love to attend.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Nov/06/2020 at 6:33am
I made reservations yesterday for this event.  Lots of rooms available and room rates have dropped quite a bit from the 2020 rates.  Now is the time to reserve your room. 

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Posted By: 72AMXJavProto
Date Posted: Nov/06/2020 at 10:03am
I should be moved back to WI from CA by then.  And hopefully have the 72 AMX Javelin pre-production back on the road to drive to the event.
Since 2021 is the 50th anniversary of Penske/Donahue winning the 1971 TransAm Championship for AMC, will there be any special acknowledgement of this at the event?  Might the #6 race car attend?  Perhaps members of the race team.
Will a TransAm reunion be held at Road America as was done 10 years ago?

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Nov/06/2020 at 5:29pm
We cancelled the house we rented for 2020 and booked it for 2021.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Date Posted: Nov/06/2020 at 10:13pm
Wonder what the rules are for street parking with a truck/camper and a car trailer?

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 3:11pm
I had a room booked for 2020 and was able to cancel with no penalty. After this summer's events, I am seriously reconsidering re-booking for 2021 as Kenosha doesn't seem like a place I want to go to.

Yeah, it was uncommon, but has the city done anything to stop it from happening again? This event is essentially city sponsored; a tourism event. If they want tourists to go there, what assurances do I have, as a tourist, that it is safe? 

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

I had a room booked for 2020 and was able to cancel with no penalty. After this summer's events, I am seriously reconsidering re-booking for 2021 as Kenosha doesn't seem like a place I want to go to.

Yeah, it was uncommon, but has the city done anything to stop it from happening again? This event is essentially city sponsored; a tourism event. If they want tourists to go there, what assurances do I have, as a tourist, that it is safe? 
I would post a response but I can’t do it without involving politics.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 5:43pm
I don't blame you.  Kenosha will be tainted for a long time.  Good job local pandering politicians.  They ruined a nice town.  There, I did it for you.

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Date Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 9:29pm
C'mon man, I'm sure they have a plan...LOL

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Nov/09/2020 at 7:09am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

I personally think you're being over critical of Kenosha and what will be 8 months from now. The people that caused all the problems in Kenosha were not from Kenosha. They came to town like they have all over the country just to see how big of a mess they can make and really don't care anything about what or who they destroyed. 

If you're worried and want assurances in life you should most definitely just stay home. All you have to do is turn on the news every evening and see what happens at Walmarts, Starbucks, McDonalds, and thousands of other places a year. There is no guarantee that something crazy won't happen at anytime or place in the World today.

Unfortunately Kenosha just happened to be the place that it happened to just like it has and will happen in other locations. So to reduce all possible chances of anything happening at anytime or place  just do nothing. Staying home might be the safest bet for you. Oh wait, I read in the news a few weeks ago about a couple that both got killed while sleeping in bed when a tree fell over there bedroom and crushed them to death.

I for one plan to live life and not let those who wish to cause trouble and destroy win. You're not made to live a 1000 years, so go enjoy life while you still can. Kenosha will be fine in July and I'll be there just like I was this year. Besure to stop by Captain Mike's or The Puzzle Bar for a refreshing beverage.

Tom

-------------

1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project

Date Posted: Nov/09/2020 at 8:25am
What Tom said, except I probably won't be there in 2021.

I cannot tolerate the White70 having to sit outside unattended while I sleep inside.

I suppose I could sleep in the back seat, (used to do that back int he 70s)

but then if it starts raining or something.... to me it's just not worth the risk.

Now, if I could only afford a trailer and tow vehicle...

-------------

Posted By: mramc
Date Posted: Nov/09/2020 at 1:30pm
Most of the Hotels in the Kenosha area are at what is refereed to as cross roads , the intersection of I-94  and Wisconsin state highway 50, all about 6.8 plus or minus miles from the center of Kenosha , where the meet is going to be held. The only major hotel in down town Kenosha is now a Wyndham Garden Hotel ( called Lakefront by long timers) , which has been under just about every major hotel chain at one time or another. Looks like Lakefront got a upgrade redo . It's been a dump , far as I was concerned , the walls are thin, and there are no fixes for that. Yes, it's close, but I'd never stay there even if the fixed up the place. They used to use it was the local college as dorm rooms if that tells you any thing. As for Kenosha like most places you just drive threw the rest of it. So, I really do not foresee any problem by summer. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Nov/09/2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

The only major hotel in down town Kenosha is now a Wyndham Garden Hotel ( called Lakefront by long timers) , which has been under just about every major hotel chain at one time or another. Looks like Lakefront got a upgrade redo . It's been a dump , far as I was concerned , the walls are thin, and there are no fixes for that. Yes, it's close, but I'd never stay there even if the fixed up the place. 
You are 100% correct about this hotel. We spent 3 nights there this past July and for $200 a night it's a dump. I am not sure about the redo, but in my opinion it needs another one. The walls are paper thin and lot of noise from the hallway. Only good thing about staying there is you're across the street from Captain Mike's and a half dozen other places to eat are within walking distance. I am looking to rent an Air-B&B the next July.

Tom

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 8:34am
I've never been to Kenosha.

Is there any chance that a condo or house with a garage could be rented?

-------------

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 9:16am
It's been many years, but the only time I went to the Kenosha show we stayed in Racine per the hotel's address. But it seemed like we were still in Kenosha. I think it was about 8 miles north of the park where the show is held. There are a lot of newer options there and it's much cheaper than the lakefront hotel.

Pro Stock Tom's first post is dead on IMO. Just because lightning strikes the earth do you never leave home? Because you could get hit; it's possible.

Posted By: bcsideshow
Date Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 2:27pm
Most of our hotels are on the I-94 corridor.  About 10 minutes from the lakefront where the show will be. The hotel on the lake has recently been bought and refurbished by the Wyndham.  I know of people who have stayed there and been happy.  Its still not great.  You are staying there for location.  We also have two new boutique hotels downtown kenosha.  https://stellahotel.com/. " rel="nofollow - https://stellahotel.com/.  ; And  https://www.attheapis.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.attheapis.com/ .

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 5:14pm
I have no doubt that assuming every thing is reasonably back to normal by July all the hotels from Racine,Wisconsin to Gurnee,Illinois will be filled up. Kenosha is not that big and some where around 10 K people show up for the meet, many from all over the world too.  Particularly if as they some times have a bicycle race in Kenosha on the same weekend . Also you want to come early for the garage sales. Seems the factory workers took home spare parts from work. Kenosha is the only place you can go to garage sales for AMC parts. Some peoples old garages look like an AMC dealership parts department ! LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 10:42pm
I'm considering going. I haven't been to Kenosha since 1974! Lol, drove through on my way to Bremerton WA, from Falmouth Mass, on my first ever road trip. Intentionally, because AMC. I think that makes me a lifer hardcore AMC fan. In a 62 Ambo 400. I bought a beer in a bar (underage) on some main road that terminated at a little park on the lake. Drove under the AMC bridge over the road. I took photos then, they seem long-lost....

If the hotel won't harm me I generally don't care about the hotel if it's got a survivable bed and hot water and one clean towel. I'm rarely there for more than s**t/shower/shave/sleep. I don't own cars that I worry too much about, they all lock and have one tricky kill switch somewhere, and besides, no one under 60 can drive a column manual, built-in anti-theft. Though I'd likely take the roadster, the stupidest choice given the terrain and weather between here (Los Angeles) and there.

There is no, never was, such a thing as "normal", and so we're not going back to it. We're going forward, and 2021 is likely to be deep-weird. I've long since learned to embrace it and find phun in the interstices.

We're automatically not-normal driving AMCs and Ramblers.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: FleetMaster
Date Posted: Nov/11/2020 at 11:59am
Hey now, just crossed into my 50'S, and learned first stick shift as three on the tree, worn box, tired synchros, Grandfather taught me how to drive.
You are right, though, stick shift great theft deterent, three on tree even better.  Add manual choke and almost no need for a kill switch.

Posted By: Bruce Clarkson
Date Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 6:47am
My wife and I are looking forward to being there.  Probably bring our new-to-us '68 Ambassador DPL wagon.  If not, the '67 990 hardtop.  

Looking forward to meeting lots of new and old friends.

Bruce Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 4:49pm
My Hotel reservations have been booked at the Springhill Suites. 

Still rooms available at the Country Inn and Suites.

Interesting last year before the COVID forced cancellation the town was almost sold out by now.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 7:43pm
I am planning to have my 66 American convertible 4.0/AX15 done for Kenosha. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 10:50pm
I still don't know if the border will be open and hotels have been known for not giving refunds! I'm hoping there is street parking for a truck/camper, trailer combo near the hotel area in Racine!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 8:50am
Here is some info on the area:

Hotels: 

My first choice would probably be the Wyndham by the lake.  Not the greatest but right down  by the show and walking distance to a lot of bars and restaurants. 1-2 minutes from show.

If my wife were going I would probably go with the Double tree (probably nicest in the area) or fairfield Inn (new) on 165 and I94 as they are right across from the Outlet Mall.  About 15 minutes from show

The Country Inn, Comfort Inn, Best western, and Hampton Inn on I94 and HWY 50 are the most popular.  Easy access, bars and restaurants.  a lot of guys hang out in the parking lots as it will be full of fellow AMC's.  About 10 minutes from show.  THere is also a Super 8 on the east side of I94.

Candlewood and holiday inn express are also on HWY 50 near I94.  popular for business travel.  Also close to bars and restaurants and shopping.  Close to the above off of I94.  About 10 minutes from show.

Bluebird, Red oak, and Bach-aire are all Budget motels on the lake.  The area is fine.  Near Surfer Joe's big AMC garage sale (assuming he is having it).

Happy Acres Kampground is the nearest camping area beside small spots at some parks About 25 minutes from show.(Sanders Park 10 minutes from show).    Not that far from the dragstrip.  There is also a Jellystone in Caledonia (northwest of show).

There are other options in Racine (one city North) and Gurnee (big mall and waterpark), Zion.  to the south.

Other things to do.  

Six Flags Amusement Park (Gurnee)
Harley Davidson museum (Milwaukee)
Lake Geneva (old town with shops west of Kenosha and mansions on a lake)
Volo auto museum.

Popular Kenosha Restaurants:
Waterfront warehouse
Franks Diner (breakfast downtown)
Capt. Mikes
TG's (best italian beef)
Boathouse

Bars with some AMC stuff:
Rutz Puzzle House (Great owner and fellow AMC owner)  Near downtown and the show and a place for the locals.
The Garage (across from where AMC used to be)

AMC friendly Mechanics hopefully no one needs:
Ricchio's (big AMC family and racers)
Auto Medix (great mechanic and AMC racer)
Oatsvall Transmission (American Pickers wish they found this place)
Alfano Performance (AMC storefront and AMC performance)

There are also two new boutique hotels downtown that i mentioned in prior post.

Any question on the area please ask.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 6:48pm
I'll have to add that any trip to Kenosha should without question include breakfast at, The Coffee Pot on 7th Avenue (very close to the show)  http://www.kenoshacoffeepot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.kenoshacoffeepot.com/ , or as mentioned above the Kenosha landmark of Frank's Diner  http://www.franksdinerkenosha.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.franksdinerkenosha.com/   Personally I usually eat at Frank's once for nostalgia and then eat a couple of meals at The Coffee Pot. What used to be a few day trip evolved into 3-4 days, and now it's to the point I like to just spend the entire week hanging out around town.

Tom 

-------------

Posted By: 71SC360
Date Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 8:11pm
Sidewinder and I always ate breakfast at the Coffee Pot.

Date Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 2:23pm
Is the DAKOTA ROSE steak house on Sheridan still a good family steak house? I've eaten there several times over years. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 9:18am

Is the DAKOTA ROSE steak house on Sheridan still a good family steak house? I've eaten there several times over years. LRDaum

Great steakhouse but has been closed for a few year now.   I do know the family and the owner/chef is at some high end country club.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 11:34am
Thanks, Brian . I was wondering, maybe the Dakota Rose be back open for the Kenosha meet. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: ajzamc360
Date Posted: Dec/04/2020 at 10:51am
So, anyone know if we'll be doing any racing during homecoming? Id love to come, but gotta make the trip worth bringing the girls. Hate to trailer my 69 up for cruising the streets and come to find out i could've brought the ol Broke N $till $penin' Too out with me?

Date Posted: Dec/04/2020 at 12:32pm
My best guess based on the last couple Kenosha's is a few of the died hard s will meet at Great Lakes drag strip on Sunday for some low key racing , while most people are leaving to go home. Always the way it is on a Sunday. Lot of people still work and have to be back at work Monday morning.

So, Sunday never worked out well. I always said if you want a real turn out for Kenosha week you do the drag racing either Wednesday or Thursday , as those are the days open in the afternoon and evening on that week when people are coming in but things are not quite in full swing yet.LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Dec/04/2020 at 5:06pm
Hey Larry,
Someone must have been listening to you.  in 2017 there was drag racing on the Wednesday night before the show and on Sunday.  I would guess that will be the plan again.  I think Joe Bohaczek coordinated in 2017.  Sundays are tough like Larry states above.  My only reservation is the fear of breaking something and not have my car for big show.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Dec/04/2020 at 9:15pm
They did that in 2014 also

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Dec/05/2020 at 6:22am
I sure hope they include Sunday drag racing.  Would be nice to go out to the track. 

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Date Posted: Dec/05/2020 at 4:02pm
I went on Sunday of the last day and it was a poor turn out only about 20 or 30 some cars and people. Most left Sunday morning. I flew in to Chicago and did not fly out until Monday , so I had time to kill. Wednesday or Thursday are more viable if the track is open or some puts out some money and rents the track. Cheaper to do on Thursday or Wednesday. I think the track is normally open on Wednesday night any way BUT you have to advertise the event. I'm not sure I even heard about Wednesday at the track last two times , until after the fact in 2017. After covid who knows what they do. I the Chicago accountants that bought the track from Broadway Bob Metzler are gone. My take on them was NOT good. And why NAMDRA moved to Cordova.    LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 3:46pm
Really looking forward to hitting the road by then as I'm going a little stir crazy here.  I've made the last two Kenosha shows and would like to go again, even though I've sold my "show car".  I don't reckon I'll get kicked off the field for having a driver.  I'm planning to drive the Javelin to Colorado Springs but might just tow it to Kenosha as it's a good 3,500 miles round trip.  Hope to see y'all there.

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Posted By: Bruce Clarkson
Date Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 8:37pm
Hey, they let me on with my '67 Ambassador driver.  And it was a good time.  Hopefully all us stir-crazy AMC drivers will be there.

Bruce Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Really looking forward to hitting the road by then as I'm going a little stir crazy here.  I've made the last two Kenosha shows and would like to go again, even though I've sold my "show car".  I don't reckon I'll get kicked off the field for having a driver.  I'm planning to drive the Javelin to Colorado Springs but might just tow it to Kenosha as it's a good 3,500 miles round trip.  Hope to see y'all there.

TOW IT??!! Ouch Oh come on, live life and drive it Cam. You won't regret it! I've done 4,600 miles on one road trip in my Javelin and it was awesome. Big smile

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

TOW IT??!! Ouch Oh come on, live life and drive it Cam. You won't regret it! I've done 4,600 miles on one road trip in my Javelin and it was awesome. Big smile

Ha! Well we'll see how I feel after the Colorado Springs adventure.  I was planning to drive to both last year but I'm old now.  Dead  Also, if I drive my truck I'll have room for some parts I could sell at the swap meet. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 11:27pm
Cam I've seen your cars, and you got a high standard. Your drive Javelin, which I've seen is better then half the show cars at an AMC meet. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: JERSEYJOE
Date Posted: Jan/04/2021 at 9:47am

I plan on attending with my hopefully finished Project car AMX.

-------------
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Posted By: AMXpower
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 4:07pm
They just cancelled it again, that is stupid!!

Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 4:17pm

Cam I've seen your cars, and you got a high standard. Your drive Javelin, which I've seen is better then half the show cars at an AMC meet. LRDaum

All it takes is deep pockets.

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 4:26pm
Well CRAP

Posted By: BU1
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by AMXpower AMXpower wrote:

They just cancelled it again, that is stupid!!
 Where is this posted???? Nothing on the Kenosha History Center website.

-------------
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959

Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 5:01pm
They posted it on their Facebook page....postponed until 2022. :(

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 5:11pm
Well, feces happens.LOL

Posted By: BU1
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 5:56pm
I understand that there is a lot of work to be done in order to put this on, but couldn't they wait just a bit longer to make the decision? 5+ months out just seems a bit pre mature. But what do I know?

-------------
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959

Posted By: AMXpower
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 6:39pm
I hope we have the mini one again this year at great lakes dragstrip just like last year, it was the same time but only a few days long, it was great!!  Great Lakes dragstrip really were greatful!!  Lots AMC cars showed up and some Mopar cars.

Posted By: 70badmask
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 7:07pm
Seriously, 5 months away and Corona is scaring everyone away again! So much for fresh air and AMC’s. I’m over this crap!

Posted By: luuuucky
Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 8:36pm
Thank your elected officials 
And the mainstream media.......
Run and hide the Kenosha strain of covid is coming.
COMPLETE BULL dung........
We'll be there come july just like we were in 2020.
Stay strong and enjoy your liberties while they last.
" The future is unwritten, know your rights"

Date Posted: Feb/10/2021 at 10:35pm
Darn, I just got an appointment to get my first vaccine shot. I thought there would be many immune people by then.

-------------

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 10:06am
Originally posted by luuuucky luuuucky wrote:

100% in agreement
Let's all run for our "safe spaces"

No AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 12:16pm
Sounds like some missed their naps.
Break out the binkys and crying towels.Cry

Posted By: 1969 BASE JAV
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 3:26pm
GREAT LAKES Dragaway  for Saturday and Sunday is still  on for  this summer .  Was a good time last year.  

Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by luuuucky luuuucky wrote:

You must be younger than I am.  I now know two people who have died from covid... my neighbor's mother and my best friend's sister.  I guess they were watching the wrong channels. Yes, I was hoping that everyone getting vaccinated would mean the show could go on, but best to wait if the numbers show it isn't safe to do so.  Might be a little premature to cancel now, but as was said earlier, they have to plan these things months in advance.

Everyone get vaccinated when you can or next year's might bite the dust too.

-------------

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 9:15pm
I predict that the AMC Homecoming will never happen again, as well as many other similar events we all love.
We may as well get accustom to the idea sooner than later. I sure hope I'm wrong.

A large percentage of those who are over the age of 60, and have known friends and loved ones who have passed due to Covid will likely never travel comfortably again. With news of covid mutations, this isn't going away in my lifetime.

This will impact many events similar to the AMC Homecoming that were largely attended by the baby boom generation far more than those under 60.

The percentage of us that are under 60, and therefore less affected by covid will need to gravitate to new events like many of the new car culture events, these will take over the 'car show' scene and replace it with something different. Evolution of the hobby.

I think it was inevitable anyway but now it's on the fast-track.

Date Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 11:35pm
Whatever the pandemic landscape is like this summer, if car shows are gonna be packed with angry virus deniers then yeah, they're over. Usually comes with other assorted baggage I'm not anymore willing to be silent about.

It matters -- if many of us get a sense that the promoters and many of the attendees are virus deniers and won't willingly adhere to basic contagion prevention, that event will certainly be done and over.

Here in SoCal we're tentatively planning some touring/TT events for spring, we did one in October, everyone masked as necessary and we juggled things to avoid the usual big dinners, etc. Yes, that's less fun. Less fun than that is not driving, and getting sick and often dying. Our crew ranges from 40s through 90s. We're in no hurry to get sick. 

Those quoting the "only one percent die" and all that rot have no idea how statistics and the calculus works. Its embarrassing that the US has such broad denial of basic health science.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/12/2021 at 12:35am
To get the idea across without any anger or finger pointing --

Many of us would consider attending event(s) that made a serious effort to minimize health risks, such as, I don't know, mostly outdoors, no long indoors awards dinners, more cruises and events, scattered hotels of the courtyard type, whatever.

But the presence of more than a few vocal, resentful, angry group of virus deniers will render those efforts meaningless. Those few will poison the pool. 

If event promoters could shows us their plans for minimizing pandemic spread, and assure us that reasonable restrictions *will be enforced* I'd consider it. But I for one am not seeing that. I will not be attending large events this year. I suspect I am not alone.

I'm uninterested in "discussing" whether this is all necessary or not. Without it, I ain't there. I'll stick with my smaller groups, driving old cars in challenging ways, etc.

Maybe it is the end of big shows. Adapt or die, sadly, is not just a metaphor anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/12/2021 at 6:38am
Are the dates for Great Lakes Dragway Sa 31 Jul and Sun 1 Aug? 

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Date Posted: Feb/12/2021 at 7:38am
GMAFB

-------------

Posted By: AMXRWB
Date Posted: Feb/12/2021 at 10:05am
Every month last summer i drove my car to a local import tuner meet.I will not post names but you can find them on FB.600-800 cars on a slow day.Not one problem ever.They get so big the city will send two police cars and ask in a nice way to go home.No more of the old style car shows for me ever.

Date Posted: Feb/12/2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by theamcguy theamcguy wrote:

Are the dates for Great Lakes Dragway Sa 31 Jul and Sun 1 Aug? 
Yes, Great Lakes Dragaway is Sat the 31 and Sun Aug 1st.  They are currently making plans for  more events during the week.   Will keep you guys posted.

Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 2:02pm
From a spectator point of view maybe get up with some of the local guys and have garage sales Friday and try and convince the track to have a flea market along with the racing Saturday and Sunday. 

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Date Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by theamcguy theamcguy wrote:

From a spectator point of view maybe get up with some of the local guys and have garage sales Friday and try and convince the track to have a flea market along with the racing Saturday and Sunday. 
There will be a swap meet at the show.   Other events are being planned.  Details to come.

Posted By: 72AMX
Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

To get the idea across without any anger or finger pointing --

Many of us would consider attending event(s) that made a serious effort to minimize health risks, such as, I don't know, mostly outdoors, no long indoors awards dinners, more cruises and events, scattered hotels of the courtyard type, whatever.

But the presence of more than a few vocal, resentful, angry group of virus deniers will render those efforts meaningless. Those few will poison the pool. 

If event promoters could shows us their plans for minimizing pandemic spread, and assure us that reasonable restrictions *will be enforced* I'd consider it. But I for one am not seeing that. I will not be attending large events this year. I suspect I am not alone.

I'm uninterested in "discussing" whether this is all necessary or not. Without it, I ain't there. I'll stick with my smaller groups, driving old cars in challenging ways, etc.

Maybe it is the end of big shows. Adapt or die, sadly, is not just a metaphor anymore.

The presence of more than a few vocal, resentful, angry chicken little's declaring that the sky is falling and that Covid is the end of the world as we know it, are already rendering life less meaningful, those overreacting alarmists have already poisoned the pool.

Grocery, big box, health care, police, firemen, and may others have been working "normally" with basic precautions since Covid has appeared, if they can work safely then there is no reason why events such as the Kenosha Homecoming shouldn't be able to go as planned, especially since the majority of the event takes place outdoors.  Unfortunately, the Covid overreaction is going to have long term NEGATIVE societal impacts.

Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 10:22am
Like button

-------------

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 6:45pm
one of my childhood friend's mom died this morning from covid.  And she rarely left the house at 82.  This is NOT the seasonal flu.

Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 6:54pm
Sorry to hear about your friend's mom, Steve.  I know two people who have died from it.  People think it's all BS until it strikes someone they know.  Most people under age 40 or 50 have nothing to worry about, but their parents and grandparents are another story. 

-------------

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 8:03pm

People think it's all BS until it strikes someone they know.  Most people under age 40 or 50 have nothing to worry about, but their parents and grandparents are another story. 

Yep. It's happened to few at work. Big anti maskers until the one guys mother died from it and he might of been the one who passed it on to her. How would that make you feel.......  Makes no sense to me.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 8:45pm
Well, crap, I just got my first covid shot Friday.  Was about to try to make motel reservations.  Saved me the trouble.  Darn.  Unhappy

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: gunnarcove
Date Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 9:15pm
my wife and I will be at the dragstrip same as last year. great time!
would love to bring car to make some passes...have to see if i can
work that out....

don

-------------
amo #9922

Posted By: 390amx1
Date Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 9:56am
I'm confused (what's new?).  The first post now says 2021 is cancelled yet the historical webpage link does not indicate this?!  Is 2021 cancelled also?

-------------
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 10:25am
yes.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Posted By: oldamcer
Date Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 5:15pm
     I just got over it(started Feb 9th) had computer/phone off.  Just turned back on and I hear this bad news.  At least I got a room I can cancel this year. It was a good time last year!

-------------
40 HudsonCoupe 304/904
33 Essex 315/904
47 Hudson 360/727/TorqueStorm

69 AmboWagon"The Flower Car"

50 StudeGasser360/T-400
74 HornetHatch 304/727
55 Hudson360/904

�

Posted By: 390rambler
Date Posted: Mar/21/2021 at 10:13am
Just don't get it? Thinks starting to open up! Keep cancelling and people will get fed up and not even bother with 2022!

Posted By: dkrtgood
Date Posted: Mar/21/2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by 390rambler 390rambler wrote:

Just don't get it? Thinks starting to open up! Keep cancelling and people will get fed up and not even bother with 2022!
Thats where I am at...2 years in a row had to cancel hotel..last year made some sense..this year? heck no. Taking aroad trip in may instead and NOT planning on booking Kenosha nezt year. Kinda over it

-------------
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Posted By: Slate
Date Posted: Mar/21/2021 at 6:10pm
Looks like the disease of fear and misinformation about the China virus affects far larger numbers than the illness does. Way to go.

Steve

Date Posted: Mar/21/2021 at 6:21pm
Yes, some of the old AMC guys might not make the next one!

Date Posted: Mar/21/2021 at 6:27pm

Date Posted: Mar/21/2021 at 8:32pm
I am disappointed about Kenosha this year but I plan to go in ‘22.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 7:07am
They have forced me to lose interest too. At some point life must go on.

There are AMC events that are better run and organized than this one anyway, i.e. AMC Races, Florida Daytona Beach and Ocala, to name a few. I will invest my time and money in those.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie 

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

They have forced me to lose interest too. At some point life must go on.

There are AMC events that are better run and organized than this one anyway, i.e. AMC Races, Florida Daytona Beach and Ocala, to name a few. I will invest my time and money in those.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie 

Yeah it's a shame. Hot Rod Power Tour is fun so i'd book that again someday, taking a road trip to Boston in May to see family and hit a few local shows. For me it's about the drive and less about the show. I liked Kenosha due to no awards and laid back atmosphere as well as the yard sales. But this year instead i'm going to run the tail of the dragon and the Blue Ridge parkway on trip to Boston start to finish for some road time smiles :-)

Not letting this silly Covid ruin my summer again

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 9:20am
If you have ever worked in a safety environment, even the published data are not useful sometimes.  You get into a situation where one person decides or a group of people have to reach a consensus on "how safe is safe" and live with the consequences.    It's not fun if you let it get to you.   Many times you can fall back on OSHA standards.  Sometimes you cannot as in this case.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 11:40am
Ironic that the people complaining about cancellations are the same people who refused to wear masks.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 12:52pm

Ironic that the people complaining about cancellations are the same people who refused to wear masks.

I see nothing being said about masks...nor do I see complaining. just saying that people move on and find things to do....if the city chooses to close an outdoor event with fresh air months prior then it's their loss and frankly don't care to worry about it any more. 

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 3:33pm
Mask Fatigue. Won't be wearing much longer. I'm about done with it!

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 4:43pm

Show me the science and numbers that support the effectiveness of wearing a mask  .... and I will put one on !!! Oh ya, maybe two...

Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 5:07pm
Maybe take this to the COVID post and keep this one open and not locked down. 

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 11:03pm
that to bad about the cancelation of the home coming so the next one close to me is the Michigan one at the greenfield meads in Livonia any one know about that if its on or still on hold

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Mar/23/2021 at 3:59pm
We're all tired of cancellations, of opportunities missed, of pandemic information and disinformation. Let's just stick to what we can do with the hobby, and not get into debates about masks/data/etc. We're never going to know it all....

-------------
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384

Date Posted: Mar/23/2021 at 6:15pm
Kenosha is an historic part of AMC lore. Perhaps enough interest can be offered in hosting an event at a private venue or venues may offer more leeway than city/ county locations.

Steve

Date Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 12:35pm
Kenosha's Civic Veterans parade going on, along with Fourth of July fireworks, and taste of Wisconsin.  Taste of Wisconsin is the same weekend as the car show and only a mile or so from Kennedy park.  It draws 10 to 15k people  featuring food and bands.  Doesn't make much sense to me.

Posted By: XJ6
Date Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 2:06pm
Sounds suspicious that one big event is cancelled and the other not. Not that I would go anyways but maybe Kenosha officials dont care about their AMC heritage anymore or just maybe somebody doesn't want the competition for Taste of Wisconsin? I went one time for the show in 2002 and frankly it was a very boring town. Spent most of my trip in Chicago

Date Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 3:00pm
Two educated guesses:

"Taste of WI" might mean more $$ signs to local officials.
Also, since the Homecoming was canceled, Covid numbers seem to have improved, and I think there's more inclination to let things open up and happen.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net