URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102353
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 3:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coil over conversion advice
Posted By: DMack
Subject: Coil over conversion advice
Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 5:35pm
Hey All,

I am looking to do a front coil over conversion on my 73' Javelin.  I have received a ton of valuable information from Forum member "Mopar_guy" (many thanks again!)....But I'm looking for someone who has put either (Ride-tech or QA1) coil overs on and has utilized the factory upper control arm and upper shock mount.  I am curious what part numbers(either Ride-Tech or QA1) were used for the actual "shock" component.   I have the part number for the (tapered) spring, but I'm curious what shock worked in conjunction with the spring?  Looking to lower the factory stance by 1"-2" up front.  The rear will have to have the springs de-arched to get the lowered (dead level) look i'm going for.  

There's a ton of knowledge in here, I figure i cant be the only guy who has wanted to do this.  

Thanks again everyone.

**All, I've updated this posting with part numbers and pictures of the final product.  Check out page 5 if you need more info**

Dave

Replies:
Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 7:11pm
What ever you do to lower the front... don't use springs or coilovers to lower the OEM suspension.

Use lowering plates or redesign with proper geometry. AMC did well with proper geometry with the stock height, once out of spec, the arms will be off on angles with camber on up swing, even after alignment.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 8:09pm
An inch or so is not going to whack out the geometry enough to worry about. I ran 6 cylinder springs in mine for years and it aligned just fine.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 7:04am
An inch is typically considered the most you should lower with springs, though many have lowered twice that much or more. Lowering too much does mess up steering geometry, but if just cruising around it doesn't mess it up so bad that tires are worn or steering is off too much. It DOES affect ride as it's a lot harder (or you're bottoming out a lot!). For handling performance you really don't want to drop it much with the springs!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 9:46pm
Lowering much without geometry compensation will have a negative affect on roll center geometry and will require more spring to keep the same roll rate. Plus being lower, one has less travel, and hence need more rate to prevent acting on the bump stops. On the stops or near them, you better have some stiff shocks to control the high rate. And on. 

In addition to bump steer type or related issues. 

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 12:47am
don't forget these are unibodies, monocoque designs where sheet metal constructs are taking loads. no AMC shock mount is able to support the car's weight on any corner. the front inner fender, spring tower, and the connection up to the firewall are designed for the vertical load. the shock mounts are not. (many folk who put air shocks in the rear of and AMC experience a punched-through upper shock mount.)

up front the only chassis member designed and able to support the weight is that upper spring socket. the AMC front suspension design is very clever and technically sweet -- the static load is directly over the "king pin" (virtual) and wheel upward impulses directed straight up into the socket. the upper arm is under nearly zero load oif any kind and mostly keeps the knuckle vertical. the lower arm of course deals with all of the horizontal forces (parallel to the road), bumping curbs, braking, cornering, etc.

the AMC spring-over-knuckle has the best features of a McPherson strut without the dynamic geometry changes. camber in turns can be (but isn't :-) precisely controlled. the downside for AMC was, it's really tall! it really hurt styling choices early on.

a GM system transfers the static load to the lower control arm, so the lower arm is very stiff and heavy (high unsprung weight), and the upper end of the spring can be tied into the frame since it's so low. this allows for a lot more flexibility in styling the car. it has the terrible feature of a radically changing "leverage" over the spring, in turns. it is LOUSY handling by design. AMCs is flatly superior.

the common Ford spring in the upper arm isn't bad but has some dynamic (roll) spring-leverage changes.

AMCs system is very nice. i think product-engineering-wise, the older Nash type trunnions were more labor intensive (63 Classic...). the AMX type trunnion is a no-brainer -- it's very nice to work with! it has a bit of mass though (not that it would matter in Ramblerdom).

i would imagine that late 60's AMC suspensions have less unsprung mass than GM, for sure, and likely Ford. the early Americans have good geometry, but bizarre and terrible construction details.  but those are extremely light weight! and AMC fixed all that crap starting with the 64 Americans.

AMC suspension design is good, not junk at all. certainly late model stuff is superior -- it has 50 years of experience and now, computer design and simulation. but Ford, GM crap from the 70's and 80's is in no way "superior". the mustang 2 stuff is mainly easy to bolt on. it doesn't automatically work better.

as always, modifications depend entirely on what you expect to do, and get out of it. i'm no purist, and it's your car, do what's the most enjoyable! i'm no stranger to heavy mods for fun and the challenge of it.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 11:50am
Well put, as usual Tomj. 

Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 1:56pm
All he's trying to do is replace the stock springs and shocks with a coilover setup just like the CF conversion but without the control arms and the high price tag. He's going to keep his stock control arms and the springs will sit in the stock spring pockets. The shock is still a shock and will hook to the stock shock bracket with no extra load on it. The load is carried the same way as it was designed.

There was a guy who use to make a conversion as I'm describing. (don't remember his name) I called him years ago to get one but he quit making them since the sales fell off. I got tired of guessing what springs to use and wanted the adjustability that a coilover will give you in both ride height and rebound. Lowering the ride height an inch or two is not going to kill the geometry. What happened to all the cars that were driven thousands of miles when the original springs sagged out? They kept driving them! Most restored cars now a days aren't driven a few hundred miles a year so it's a non issue.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 2:26pm
I get it. Those coil over conversions are nice. I saw on one that fed the loads into the chassis very nicely. I’ve seen other unibody cars converted with varying degrees of success and failure. One thing mentioned on another post was about low profile tires and ride quality. I mentioned that modern cars that run those have massive compliance in their bushings. Often strategic compliance. Kinematic engineering. 
Take a Porsche 911 or 924/44/68. Torsion bar rear, where the bar is effectively isolated by bushings, as is the very rigid crossmember. The loads from the spring into the chassis are very well isolated and well distributed into the chassis. The shock is separate, and fed into the unibody in another mount. People circumvent all that with a simple and effective coilover. It solves a few things, but my point is that all the spring and shock loads AND vibration now pass through a weak body point and with a small rigid spherical or shock bushing. Sometimes the unibody will break, depending on spring and shock rates used. Mostly for track use so vibration takes a back seat (literally).

Tom’s points, to me, are well put. 

And I stand by my comments in geometry. Particularly when I say that when roll centers are altered for the worse, your need for excessively high spring rates kills compliance and ride. 

As for worn out hoopties and cars driven a couple hundred miles, and it being a non issue. Ok. Sure. 

Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 3:43pm
Well, I can say this for sure, since I put the Fatman IFS in my car, it rides and handles light years ahead of the stock front suspension - and that's with 17' wheels on it. A friend of mine that has a '14 Challenger says my Javelin rides as nice as his car so take it for what it's worth. You guys sit here and argue how great the stock suspension is but when you put a low profile tire on it, the rides goes out the window. I sure don't have that problem and I have poly A arm bushings. My tires sure wear better than they ever did with the stock suspension too. I'm sure we can argue this all day but al I know is that I'm glad I got rid of it almost 12k miles ago now. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

All he's trying to do is replace the stock springs and shocks with a coilover setup just like the CF conversion but without the control arms and the high price tag.

oh -- spring in the AMC position, just with a shock up inside it? if so, sorry, i misunderstood the plan, man. y'all have my apologies. but if the shock is up inside the spring, how can it be using the stock shock mounts?

what advantage does putting the shock inside provide? since there's no change in geometry, there's no handling/ride difference from stock (other than spring rate and shock rate changes you might make). how's it better than just good OEM style replacement parts?

from what i can see, the main reason for the CF system is that those offset spindles clearance for huge wheels and tires up front (though why you'd want huge tires up front is beyond me). it doesn't offer, say, adjustability. the shock does (you can buy bolt-in QA1's) but with springs, you're left winding and cutting and shimming, like the stock system.

looking at the AMC CF setup, it don't see how it handles even as good as AMCs stock setup.  it appears to me that they essentially lowered the upper arm's outer pivot, switching to that spindle setup. to fix AMCs inherent understeer, you'd want to *raise* that ball joint, or lower the inner pivot (look up the "Shelby drop" fix for Mustangs; i did that to my '61 American and the result major).

the CF stuff looks great. AMC's (and everything from that era) is bulky stamped rough sheet steel; not pretty.

-------------

Posted By: Brad
Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 3:56am
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I think he/we are looking at something like this....
I have QA1 double adjustables on my 70 Challenger and love them. It's not rocket science, just need to figure out some dimensions and message QA1 or maybe someone on here has been down this road and can save us some time with some part numbers? 

https://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/front-pro-coil-shock-systems/507c-gm-front-pro-coil-system" rel="nofollow - https://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/front-pro-coil-shock-systems/507c-gm-front-pro-coil-system

This should be useful for determining a starting point for spring rates.....
https://www.ridetech.com/info/tech/spring-rate-calculator/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ridetech.com/info/tech/spring-rate-calculator/

Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 4:35am
Another question.... with the CF set up, what spindle is this designed for? The stock AMC or Ford Pinto? 

https://www.freakride.com/product/amc-front-coil-over-conversion-systems/" rel="nofollow - https://www.freakride.com/product/amc-front-coil-over-conversion-systems/

Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 5:59am
The coilover conversion kits all have added strengthening plates/mounts that address that issue. Not just replacing the shock. All that I've seen mount the coilover in place of the spring.

Theoretically the stock suspension is superior to something like a Mustang II... depending on the Mustang II type used. The cheaper aftermarket kits still use some original MII parts such as the lower control arm, the better ones (like Fatman) are improved with a real lower A arm rather than an arm and strut (like the 62+ AMC big car, 64+ small). The late AMC suspension is about on a par with the MII EXCEPT for the superior spring location. The high spring has a lot of advantages, as TomJ pointed out.

BUT... there are some issues. It could use the "Shelby drop" to improve anti-dive characteristics for one, though the high spring helps with that. They were sprung rather softly for rougher roads of the day, so they can use a 10-12% spring rate increase. More and the ride starts to get a bit harsh, but I'd go 15% for a road racer/autocross car.

Mopar_guy, I suspect you're comparing a well worn original suspension with the Fatman conversion. In that case the Fatman BETTER be much improved over the original! A fresh AMC suspension shouldn't be much different, especially if the springs are changed with a slightly stiffer rate. In the long run it's cheaper to rebuild the AMC suspension with slight improvements rather than swap it out, but there are many reasons to swap it out -- I'm not trying to invalidate your decision to do so! AMC parts aren't going to get cheaper or easier to find for one thing. I'm not real worried about having the rebuild mine 20-30 years or more from now though. Someone will have to, just not likely me!

The next car I'm planning will likely have the front suspension swapped because it's a 62 American and I don't think I have all the front suspension parts in good enough condition to use or refurbish. I have a front suspension from my engine donor car that might work, will look into something else if it won't. Might end up gather original parts, we'll see... maybe. It's a long put-off project that might never get done... no point in kidding myself!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

All he's trying to do is replace the stock springs and shocks with a coilover setup just like the CF conversion but without the control arms and the high price tag.

oh -- spring in the AMC position, just with a shock up inside it? if so, sorry, i misunderstood the plan, man. y'all have my apologies. but if the shock is up inside the spring, how can it be using the stock shock mounts?

what advantage does putting the shock inside provide? since there's no change in geometry, there's no handling/ride difference from stock (other than spring rate and shock rate changes you might make). how's it better than just good OEM style replacement parts?

Here's two examples of what I'm talking about.

The main reasons for doing this as I said before to set ride height and have an adjustable shock. It's pretty much that simple! Most of the stock replacement stuff is iffy at best and you end up guessing what springs to buy and hope they work. I know this because I went thru 3 sets years ago trying to get the ride height I wanted and not have it ride like a truck. Once you have a good coilover setup, you won't go back. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

Another question.... with the CF set up, what spindle is this designed for? The stock AMC or Ford Pinto? 

https://www.freakride.com/product/amc-front-coil-over-conversion-systems/" rel="nofollow - https://www.freakride.com/product/amc-front-coil-over-conversion-systems/

FYI.... I emailed CF and they replied quickly , they say with the coilover kit you use your stock AMC spindles/brakes etc.., with the IFS kit they supply Wilwood Pro Spindle which is a pinto styled spindle. Then you choose what brakes you want( wilwood has mulitple options) if you like Wilwood stuff...

Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Mopar_guy, I suspect you're comparing a well worn original suspension with the Fatman conversion. In that case the Fatman BETTER be much improved over the original! A fresh AMC suspension shouldn't be much different, especially if the springs are changed with a slightly stiffer rate. In the long run it's cheaper to rebuild the AMC suspension with slight improvements rather than swap it out, but there are many reasons to swap it out -- I'm not trying to invalidate your decision to do so! AMC parts aren't going to get cheaper or easier to find for one thing. I'm not real worried about having the rebuild mine 20-30 years or more from now though. Someone will have to, just not likely me!

Nope! Not at all! My front end was completely rebuilt with a quick ratio box and a Larry Mitchell sway bar kit on it and my Fatman IFS out rides it and out handles it. It's like driving a new performance car. I'm back to using the original stock sway bar and the car corners more flatly than it did with the big bar. I did it because I needed to the steering box space for the a/c compressor on the Hemi and the strut rods were in the way of the exhaust. With those gone, that opened up everything.  Smile  I don't advocate doing this for everyone but it was something I had to do in order to get where I wanted to be but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again now that I've seen/felt the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:44pm
Mopar_guy -- got it. that looks pretty nice. i get it now.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 11:59am
I get it too. I’m a big fan of those parts. The shocks are night and day over the rubbish people are used to. And on the 17” subject... of course a good shock, and decent 17 will ride nice.
More track oriented tires, even street versions will ride Way way harder than your average tire. Same with any size. One just has to have compliance somewhere or you get the vibes. I don’t mind them, but some do. 

Date Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 12:30pm
Thanks everyone for all of the input.  What got me started on all of this was actually me contacting Mopar_guy because I wanted to see what suspension he had on his, because I think the ride height and stance are near perfect on his Javelin.  

I understand everyone's concern regarding ride height and geometry.  I have an 06' Mustang GT as well that I put lowering springs in. Had to put an adjustable pan hard bar and caster camber plates to compensate for the lower stance and to keep the toe and alignment correct.  If I understand the AMC geometry (and I completely admit, I am a novice at best) .... By putting coil overs in and utilizing the factory (upper) spring pocket, I agree...you are affecting the geometry of the control arm positions, but if you can adjust alignment and toe in to keep the specs correct...where is the problem?..   

Date Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 6:38pm
Well, there is not a problem for street driving... but after a lot of work as of recent to modding my custom suspension.

Once upper and lower arms go out of factory swing sync, there is some issues in the upper swing where camber gain becomes excessive enough to ruin tires and make grip less so, due to aggressive camber change entering a corner hard, and leaving out of a hard corner. You want camber locked at a static setting as much as possible.

It seems like you want a street car, more than an occasional auto crosser.

Have not tested a stock 70s up suspension, under spring drop, but did do a chart on how some of the camber gain swing does level out some, a bit better than stock.

So, as with any suspension mod, look at all the components that can be affected. One thing you can do that won't hurt, is to adjust caster to its max adjustment. Around 3° max for radials and a wee sharper feel in cornering.

The reason why I spoke up on lowering plates, is because it's simple and does the job without effecting suspension.

A rebuilt suspension will handle very well, and is something I would do while adding coil overs.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 6:36am
Camber changes through the swing due to the unequal length upper and lower arms. Kept in the factory range the change is beneficial, but get too far away from that range and the camber change gets more radical, with the short upper arms pulling the top of the tire in at max lower and upper ends of the range. It's set up to have minimal change in the middle of the range where it would be with factory springs. That's a bit oversimplified, but pretty much the main issue. amazing how someone came up with the idea to make the long and short arms work precisely together!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 8:22am
Did a wee correction on my reply... brain was stuck on camber, when explaining the adjustment on caster.

Now it reads correctly. As for camber adjustments, keep it stock when realigned.

Also keep an eye out for inside tread wear. If too much is going on, adding a wee bit more positive camber to offset if needed. You may find 0 camber is needed if such wear pattern becomes an issue.

Most are running coil overs with suspension setup kit. Such as Control Freak as an example. Modding just to install coil overs, won't have the same effect, since Control Freak and like setups, have updated geometry, suche as offset ball joints, control arm placement to go with the coil over install.

WSC coil over kit, may not address the needs for cornering as well, when dropping 2". But it does make for an easy bolt in setup with height adjustability.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Posted By: oldamcnut
Date Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 11:33am
Has anyone tried Dairyland Fabrication's coil over set up? = just type in dairyland fabrication for pictures etc.
Oldamcnut

Date Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 11:55am
Well, after reading more I see Steve from Dairyland has posted here but I would still like to know if anyone has used it.
Oldamcnut

Date Posted: Oct/16/2019 at 12:33pm
Hey 304-dude,

Thanks for the information, it is totally helpful.  Yes, you are correct....looking to just have a just a street car.  No auto cross or even what would be considered "aggressive" driving.  Looking primarily for the lower stance.  Max drop will be 1.5" more likely 1"  I have seen Eaton lowering springs available for both front and rear which may also fill the need.  The adjust-ability of the coil over is the primary reason I'm considering it.  Smoother or stiffer are good options to have...if I did just a shorter spring, I don't gain the adjust-ability, but that comes with a price tag.  I just need to weigh out the cost vs. benefit.  In talking with many, many of the guys who have done the swap to coil overs...they all agree their car handles much, much better.

Thanks again for the tech advice.

Posted By: rsrguy3
Date Posted: Feb/02/2020 at 11:59pm
Ya.. I know about punched trunks.... I had a bad shock blow through mine going over rr tracks. So what’s your take on the CF coil over conversion vs it’s full bolt in replacement ? Are their any shortcuts to a nice ride stance and sweet handling?

-------------
javguy

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 6:09am
Stock shock mounts, front or rear, aren't designed to carry the total weight of the car. The spring tower are, hence the big bracket that Dairyland makes. For the rear you'd need a crossmember to mount the shocks to. A piece of 2" square tubing welded (or even bolted) across the car where the original shock mounts are would do it. That would spread the load across the entire crossmember/body, not concentrate it at one point.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 11:25am
That makes sense for the rear, I had not considered coil over for the rear, just starting with the front since everything is apart. One of my concerns is whether the stock lower control arms will stand the extra weight of coil overs in the Dairyland Fabrication design. Also, since you brought up the rear change over, is there a downside to not changing to coil overs in the rear at the same time. This is all being proposed as an upgrade to a 69 S/C Rambler.

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 11:31am
Originally posted by rsrguy3 rsrguy3 wrote:

Ya.. I know about punched trunks.... I had a bad shock blow through mine going over rr tracks. So what’s your take on the CF coil over conversion vs it’s full bolt in replacement ? Are their any shortcuts to a nice ride stance and sweet handling?
Lowering plates are the shortcut. 6 cylinder springs also work well.

Personally I think the CF setup is overpriced either way but it's the only bolt in option out there for the big body cars.  Replacing the stock springs and shocks with coil overs is the most cost effective way. A quick ratio steering box is a must to really get it to drive better  There's a lot of reading on this topic if you do some searching. I'm not a fan of lowering plates and wouldn't use them.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 2:24pm
I'm really not a fan at all, I want real handling improvements with a good stance in that order. Which is why I started a thread looking for information on what the TA series cars did to improve that situation, I'd be shocked if they used stock control arms. I like the bolt in nature of the CF ifs.... not the cost, but is it really that much better, if so by what factor, the steering is better and that would help the turn in feel etc but is it just a mudstain 2 suspension or is it really "special"? The coil over/upper lower control arm kit looks nice but would it actually handle better? Does anyone here have one? I don't want my car lowered to "look cool" I want it to corner and as a side benefit sit right, does that make sense? 

-------------
javguy

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 3:36pm
If all you're after is handling, then a set of front and rear sway bars, a quick ratio steering box, adjustable shocks and some good tires will get you there. Some of this depends upon how you're defining the term "handling" and how deep you wallet is. Wink  If you want the car to ride nice and handle better, you're better off with the full on CF setup because it cures one of the nasty parts of the front end - the strut rod. The main reason for this thread was he wanted to be able to adjust the height of the front end and have it ride nice as well. The selection of stock coil springs is pretty slim and for what Eaton wants, you can do a coilover setup for close to that cost and have adjustability that you can't get with a stock spring.

Another issue is shocks. The stock suspension wasn't designed for gas shocks and when you put those in, it's going to ride a bit rougher. A nice set of adjustables is pricey so it depends upon what you plan to do with the car and how much you're going to drive it. There's several threads on this subject as well.

I had most of the stuff I mentioned and my car did handle way better than stock. In fact I autocrossed it a while till I took out the main bearings in the motor. When I was researching my options for the front end to do the Hemi swap, I opted to use a Fatman IFS because it has the correct geometry but at half the cost. It has to be welded in but it was totally worth it because the car rides and drives like a modern car. It's light years ahead of the stock suspension and after 8,500 miles of driving last summer, my front tires (255/45/17) are wearing almost perfectly flat. That's something the stock suspension will never do with that wide of a tire. You can see pictures in my build thread. There's a link in my signature.

-------------

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 3:45pm
Are you talking about a Pre-1970 or the later 1970 and beyond.
I build the Dairyland Fabrication Kits and I created it because I was not satisfied with the performance of the Stock trunnion suspension when Auto-Crossing my car. The stock geometry is a disaster. I can now keep up with late model mustangs in lap times for example. That would not have been possible with the stock suspension.

As for the 1970 and later stuff, It's not too bad. The geometry has been corrected by the factory. That said you still can't dial-in the Caster of a modern car, so it's still somewhat limiting.

Coil-Overs are great because spring rates, ride height, and damping can be easily (and inexpensively) changed to dial in the desired suspension behavior. Springs for QA1 coil overs are only $100 a set.

Have fun
Michael

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 5:11pm
This thread is for 70-74 cars so I assume that's what rsrguy has.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 5:46pm
Yes that's why I was interested in learning about the T/A winning cars, mine is a 71 401. That's the original owner, my grandfather... We share the same name so I'm on the original docs, including the dealership service card. 

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 6:39pm
Fitting a universal adjustable coil-over on a 1970 or later Javelin/AMX would be a great upgrade.
Would be pretty simple to fab up the required brackets to get it to work.

You would need to know the needed compressed/Extended dimensions. And how much you want to spend. I would recommend bearing mount (not bushing).

Box the control arms, and fabricate mounts. I think the 70 TA cars had basically a coil-over setup.
Here is a link to the Custom Mount QA1 web site. https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspension/shocks-struts-coil-overs/custom-mount-coil-over-shocks" rel="nofollow - https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspension/shocks-struts-coil-overs/custom-mount-coil-over-shocks

Good info here on the Penske/RWR cars. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9285.0" rel="nofollow - http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9285.0

Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 6:20am
The lower control arm should be strong enough. 343sharpstick hasn't mentioned anything about strengthening his....  

You might want to box it to make it more stable, but that also take some of the flex out of it and moves all flex to the bushing. The arm is designed to flex just a little front to back to keep it aligned with the strut rod. People have boxed the arm for decades, so it won't hurt, but I'd use a rubber control arm bushing if boxing and not a poly so it won't add strain to the boxed arm.

The lowering plates are limited to about 1-5/8" drop. There are a few who have made them so that the lower holes on the spindle match the upper holes on the steering knuckle, but that's a bit drastic to me, but shouldn't be an issue for a cruiser with 3/8" cold rolled steel plates (the one I remember doing this used 1/2" plate). Splitting the difference should be more stable. The plates maintain stock suspension geometry while still lowering the car. Using shorter or softer springs changes the suspension geometry. You can get by with a 1" drop without affecting it much, but much lower and it does. Stiffer short springs minimize the effects, but make for a much harder ride.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

Fitting a universal adjustable coil-over on a 1970 or later Javelin/AMX would be a great upgrade.

You would need to know the needed compressed/Extended dimensions. And how much you want to spend. I would recommend bearing mount (not bushing).

Box the control arms, and fabricate mounts. I think the 70 TA cars had basically a coil-over setup.
Here is a link to the Custom Mount QA1 web site. https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspension/shocks-struts-coil-overs/custom-mount-coil-over-shocks" rel="nofollow - https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspension/shocks-struts-coil-overs/custom-mount-coil-over-shocks

Good info here on the Penske/RWR cars. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9285.0" rel="nofollow - http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9285.0

Not sure how accurate Wayne Davis' T/A replica is to the original, but in his build thread he does show coil overs. Upper control arms look to be stock. Couldn't tell from the photos about lower control arms, but sway bars were torsion bars with splined links, which I'm pretty sure how the real T/A cars were done. Mods were limited by SCCA rules, though some brake changes were allowed in the interest of safety. SCCA also gave AMC a waiver to run dry sump after continued engine failures. 

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Posted By: Coloradoamx
Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

Not sure how accurate Wayne Davis' T/A replica is to the original, but in his build thread he does show coil overs. Upper control arms look to be stock. Couldn't tell from the photos about lower control arms, but sway bars were torsion bars with splined links, which I'm pretty sure how the real T/A cars were done. Mods were limited by SCCA rules, though some brake changes were allowed in the interest of safety. SCCA also gave AMC a waiver to run dry sump after continued engine failures. 

I did have WSC coil-overs on my car, but have since replaced them with a spring/shock combination similar to the original Trans Am Javelins.  The coilovers were fine for the street and some track time, but not stout enough for serious track time.  The biggest issue was that I couldn't get a stiff enough spring for the coil over.  Attached are a couple photos of what I have now.  The photo with the blue spring is a more modern spring design, and a shorter spring height that requires a spacer to get proper ride height.  The photo with the black spring is a more period type spring, although both springs are rated at 900#.  I had to convert to a Mustang spring perch given that no one makes a race spring to fit the AMC perch size.  The Mustang perch fits a 5" spring diameter.  I also am using Vari-Shock dual adjustable shocks that allow track tuning and have the appropriate upper and lower mounts.  The other picture of a spring on a bench is a photo of one of the actual springs from the real Trans Am Javelins.  I boxed the upper and lower control ams and replaced all the bushings with spherical bearings.  I also have lowering blocks.  The front sway bar is a torsion bar with end links attached to the upper control arms rather than the lower control arms in the stock application. 
https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/ta-javelin-suspension/be355a65-06e3-4e97-.html" rel="nofollow"> https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/ta-javelin-suspension/31bfdf98-dec0-418d-.html" rel="nofollow"> https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/ta-javelin-suspension/4e148a37-be58-42ff-.html" rel="nofollow"> https://public.fotki.com/Coloradoamx/ta-javelin-suspension/278cd831-ddf8-49e4-.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 3:12pm
Absolutely awesome! That settles it I'm a nerd. Geek

-------------
javguy

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 4:42pm
If you want to read more about Wayne's Javelin here's a link to the rest of the story.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/penskedonohue-javelin-replica_topic78747.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/penskedonohue-javelin-replica_topic78747.html

The workmanship on this car is absolutely awesome.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

If you want to read more about Wayne's Javelin here's a link to the rest of the story.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/penskedonohue-javelin-replica_topic78747.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/penskedonohue-javelin-replica_topic78747.html

The workmanship on this car is absolutely awesome.

It really is a work of art. 

Thanks Wayne for the explanation and photos of the front suspension.  I had always wondered what Penske did to the Javelins back in the day.  I've read The Unfair Advantage several times (Donohue was my boyhood hero) but was never sure about how far the Javelin suspension deviated from stock.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/04/2020 at 9:17pm
I read it too.. Never should have lent it out. 

-------------
javguy

Posted By: forcd ind
Date Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 11:40am
Kind of bringing this back from the dead,, I was looking at diff. coil over setups for my hornet, got to thinking if maybe a Qa1 setup for a chevelle might work. The spring might fit up top like the stock spring, and ride the shock on the lower end, where you could change the ride height. I'll have to take some meas, I have an old Moog cat, has all the specs. 

Date Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 2:01pm
Dave did do this and it works well. I'll see if I can get him to show what he did and list the part numbers of what he used.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 10:30pm
I just installed this in my 71 Javelin . 
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10500c" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10500c

Turned down slightly the stock shafts to fit the QA1 bushings then added  these to the shaft to position the coil over on the shaft
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-4-in-shaft-collar/A-p3871340e" rel="nofollow - https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-4-in-shaft-collar/A-p3871340e

Date Posted: Nov/29/2020 at 8:11am

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10500c" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10500c

Turned down slightly the stock shafts to fit the QA1 bushings then added  these to the shaft to position the coil over on the shaft
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-4-in-shaft-collar/A-p3871340e" rel="nofollow - https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-4-in-shaft-collar/A-p3871340e

How about posting a few pictures? Wink I'm only using a 450 lb springs in my front end and my car weighs about 400 lbs more than a stock car so be careful in using higher weight springs.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/29/2020 at 4:53pm
Hey All,

Been a while since I've come full circle on this post.  Many, Many thanks to Mopar_guy (Keith) for all of his assistance with this project.

I installed Ridetech coil overs on my 73' Javelin and they work extremely well.  Great control and a fantastic ride, as well as lowering the vehicle. 

I removed the pivot axle that is inside the original spring perches and took it to a machine shop to turn down the axle so it would slide through the eyelet on the bottom of the Ridetech Coil over.  I had the machine shop turn the axle down to 5/8" and cut way about 2/3rds of the whole axle.  I slid a Delrin washer on, then one of the aluminum bushings that came with the coil-over, then the coil-over itself, then the other bushing, another Delrin washer and then a lock collar with set screw.  

I ordered QA1 springs through Summit, Ridetech does not offer a tapered spring.  So if you haven't taken yours apart yet, I'll explain it a little here.  The coil spring you need to use will taper from the bottom size of (2.5" collar on the shock part of the coil-over ) up to (3.5") at the top (the size of the spring pocket on the vehicle).  The shock part of the coil-over comes with a "stud" attachment at the top, much like a regular shock absorber, only hard plastic bushings rather than rubber.  I utilized the factory shock mount on the top as the mounting point for the shock portion of the coil-over.  

Part #'s are:

Ridetech 24149905  Shock absorber, 4.1" travel for 2.5" I.D. Coil, single adjustable. Stud Upper and bearing lower mounts 10.5"(compressed)/14.6"(extended).  Approximately $250.00 each, depending on where you source them.

QA1 tapered springs QA1-10HTSP450  This is a 10" tall, High Travel Spring rated at 450 per spring. (Summit sells these at $72.95 each) More than enough spring for my A/C equipped 360

You will also need the Ridetech spanner wrench to adjust the collar that the spring sits on.  

So I ended up lowering the front suspension by 1-3/4" You could very easily raise or lower it depending on how much you adjust the collar up or down.  Car has since been aligned and is within specs and no irregular wear on the tires.  I have 225/60R15 tires on mine and I think the stance is spot on (personal preference)  Attached are some photos of the project.  For the rear I had a local spring shop "de-arch" the leaves 1" and install new rubber isolaters Note: Brakes are Scarebird big disc brake conversion.

Date Posted: Nov/29/2020 at 5:19pm

How about posting a few pictures? Wink I'm only using a 450 lb springs in my front end and my car weighs about 400 lbs more than a stock car so be careful in using higher weight springs.

I would but can't figure out how to on this site? Thanks for your help with the coilovers also member  Dmack 

Date Posted: Nov/29/2020 at 7:40pm
I see it's offered in a 450 lb spring as well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10450c" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10450c
FWIW, QA1's only have a one year warranty vs a million mile warranty on Ridetech's plus the Ridetech's are all made in the USA rather than parts of them and assembled here.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/30/2020 at 7:23am

I see it's offered in a 450 lb spring as well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10450c" rel="nofollow - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-gd507-10450c
FWIW, QA1's only have a one year warranty vs a million mile warranty on Ridetech's plus the Ridetech's are all made in the USA rather than parts of them and assembled here.

I hear ya, good point. I've had double adjustable QA1 shocks on the 70 Challenger for almost 10 years now with no issues. 

Date Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 7:57pm
Since a few people have asked about this, yeah it's a bit pricey but it's worth it if you drive your car much. Much better ride and you can set your ride height. Don't use the QA1 springs! They sag out as Wooster Kevin found out. I'm pretty sure he's now using Viking springs but I'll check with him. More fine "quality" from QA1......... Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 11:53pm
So, what spring to use instead of the QA1? 

Also, why 450 lb springs when the originals were only 307 lb?  Not being critical, just trying to understand.

Does seem like a good way to test the waters with coil overs without having to hack the car up.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 5:41am
Kevin is using the Viking 10SP450 spring. There's a formula out there to figure it out but I had weighed my car before I did the Hemi swap and when I ordered the front end from Fat Man, he said 450 is what I needed. I believe the diameter of the spring and wire comes into play but I'm not 100% sure. They work well on Kevin's and Dave's car which both have 360's in them. The work has been done for you and it's proven. And yes, no cutting up anything, it's a bolt in swap.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 10:29am
Thanks for that info, Keith.  I do like the idea of having adjustable coils.

So, if I have this right, here's what I'd need:

Ridetech 24149905 Shock
Viking 10SP450 Spring

I'm not quite clear on details of turning down the axle in the spring perch, but I suppose it would become clearer once I'm looking at all the parts.  Does the spring perch go away entirely then except for saving (and modifying) the pivot axle out of it?  If that's the case, it seems like the lack of the rubber bushing in the spring perch might transmit more road noise?  Would not otherwise break my heart to get rid of the perches since they're now made of unobtanium.

What amazes me is that right now my '73, on its worn-out factory suspension, rides pretty well with modern 17" tires and wheels... better than my '72, which has 14" tires and wheels.  The '72 front end was rebuilt using Moog 3112 front springs and I suspect that's the problem.

I'm a little afraid to mess up the '73, since it drives so nicely, so I'll probably use the '72 as my guinea pig.  I'll be pulling the 360 out of the '73 after I get back from Kenosha so it might be a couple months until I get back to the springs.

-------------

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 10:56am
Cam, the best way to make your 72 feel like it rides better is to get a 2 seat AMX. Then, it won't seem so bad.

Date Posted: Jul/20/2022 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Cam, the best way to make your 72 feel like it rides better is to get a 2 seat AMX. Then, it won't seem so bad.

Been there, done that, Alex!  LOL

-------------

Posted By: johnv
Date Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 3:08pm
This is one clean installation

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net