Print Page | Close Window

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101799
Printed Date: Jan/23/2021 at 5:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper
Posted By: 1982AMCConcord
Subject: 1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper
Date Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 9:43am
Well the time has come to finally start the build thread for my 1982 AMC Concord 4dr.

My 1982 AMC Concord has had its front end stripped and has been delivered to the body shop to have the engine bay stripped, repaired, repainted and restored to a factory style finish.

After the engine bay is refinished a v8 cross-member and a 1973 AMC Javelin 304 will be installed in the engine bay. After the engine is installed.. the entire front end will have all the steering, brake and suspension components replaced with brand new pieces.

Here are some progress pictures... Unfortunately I cannot share them all as I have taken too many.. but I hope you will get the idea.

The current short term overall goal for my Concord is to rebuild entire front end, install v8 engine, upgrade 904 trans to handle power of small v8, restore the engine bay back to factory original condition and replace the vinyl top as well. In the future I would like to build a bigger badder 360 to take the place of the 304, add a few more pieces to the car and ultimately paint the entire car at some point as well.

(I forgot to take pictures of the outside dog leg rust areas behind the front wheels... I hope to get them tonight after I pick up the fenders and valance from the body shop after they are removed.) 

Any positive comments or questions.. please feel free to post! 

Replies:
Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 9:48am
Nice! Good looking paint job. Shame about the fender dent but looks like you have that under control.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Date Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Nice! Good looking paint job. Shame about the fender dent but looks like you have that under control.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Thanks Ed.

Yes. The paint and undercoating has held up good. The body guy said "I'm going to be honest here... I've seen a lot worse! At least we are starting with a good foundation." 

The worst of it is under the battery tray and behind the driver's side wheel. The battery exploded while I was driving down the road one day. You can kind of tell how the wind blew the battery acid down the side of the engine bay on that side. I was a kid when it happened and I couldn't really do much to fix it at the time. 

The dent on the driver's fender has been there since before I purchased the car. I let a Dent Doctor type guy recently take a shot at it and he managed to get a lot of that dent out but there are a few more steps he'd like to try to get it the rest of the way out when time permits. He didn't have enough time because he happened to visit my friends shop as the car was being loaded to take to the body shop... and we gave him a few moments to impress me. Well.. surprisingly.. the did a good job in the few minutes he had. I look forward to the day when the car gets refinished and the dent is totally gone forever but I figured after 26 years of seeing that dent.. I'd finally give someone a crack at it. Its on the edge of the fender and not in a good area but thankfully the paint did not crack or chip.  

Posted By: 3904speed
Date Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 7:18pm
That looks to be a sleeper for sure! Nice project!
Godspeed 

Date Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 7:34am
Originally posted by 3904speed 3904speed wrote:

That looks to be a sleeper for sure! Nice project!
Godspeed 

Thanks.... one day I'll have a bigger badder engine but for right now the 304 acts as a good place holder.

I can't wait to see it with a new black top and the blacked out windows with the stainless steel Ventshades. I also have an NOS set of stainless mud flaps to complete the look too. 

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 9:42pm
Looking Great!!!  Been there i think i know every inch of our 78 Concord on final assembly after 3 years of work...Will be following along....

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Looking Great!!!  Been there i think i know every inch of our 78 Concord on final assembly after 3 years of work...Will be following along....

Hi Anthony! I watched almost every single one of your videos. You have provided a great deal of inspiration for my build up! Thank you for detailing your work. I appreciate your support and insight on my project. While my car will not be on the same performance level as your son's Concord wagon... I would welcome your advice. For the record... at this point I'd be curious to know how you modified the wiring harness, set up the ignition and what alternator you used. 

Here is my thread on the alternator... As of right now I intend on using the stock 6 cylinder alt.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/use-the-i6-alternator-on-a-v8-swap_topic101639.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/use-the-i6-alternator-on-a-v8-swap_topic101639.html

Date Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 2:45pm
Thank You!!!!   I used a Delco alt and a MSD dist(Against my will)You should be able to use the same alt from your 6 cyl. it`s even mounted in roughly the same location (Plug And Play) i personally like Mitsubishi alt. same wiring...more stable output...higher amps at a slower rpm...and can handle the higher rpms i through at it...Jr`s Concord has a delco for now but i have a Toyota one waiting in the wings....For me the simpler the ignition the better...i like to make it home...If i had to pick a factory set up i would use the ford and carry and extra box...Thats a lie i would use a GM point`s dist. with a high quality set of points and condenser...the average car drives his classic about a 1,000 miles a year and less after 2 years...at that rate a good set of points in a garage keep car should last untill your wife sells your car while your at work one day...21 year`s for my AMX..18 years in my American...12 years in the Magneto in my wagon  and jrs MSD box will crap out with in 2 years.....I will make you a video of jrs Concord engine compartment over the next several days so if you have anything you would like for me to go over just post your questions  

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 7:19am

Thank You!!!!   I used a Delco alt and a MSD dist(Against my will)You should be able to use the same alt from your 6 cyl. it`s even mounted in roughly the same location (Plug And Play) i personally like Mitsubishi alt. same wiring...more stable output...higher amps at a slower rpm...and can handle the higher rpms i through at it...Jr`s Concord has a delco for now but i have a Toyota one waiting in the wings....For me the simpler the ignition the better...i like to make it home...If i had to pick a factory set up i would use the ford and carry and extra box...Thats a lie i would use a GM point`s dist. with a high quality set of points and condenser...the average car drives his classic about a 1,000 miles a year and less after 2 years...at that rate a good set of points in a garage keep car should last untill your wife sells your car while your at work one day...21 year`s for my AMX..18 years in my American...12 years in the Magneto in my wagon  and jrs MSD box will crap out with in 2 years.....I will make you a video of jrs Concord engine compartment over the next several days so if you have anything you would like for me to go over just post your questions  

Thanks Anthony. For now I intend on using as much of the stock stuff as possible. I have a brand new Motorcraft dizzy in it now.. I thought I would add the larger Ford style TFI cap and rotor, related TFI parts and re-curve the distributor with as spring kit.

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/4730-304-360-amc-ignition-upgrade-article.html" rel="nofollow - https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/4730-304-360-amc-ignition-upgrade-article.html

As much I's I'd like to add the MSD box.. not sure if its entirely necessary and I don't want to risk a failure on the road. What I want is the least expensive most dependable set up for now to get the car running. 

I am looking forward to seeing your video. I have been told that after the emissions control computer is out of the car.. the rest of the wiring is basically a 76 Hornet.

Date Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 1:00pm
Hi everyone in AMC land.. I am back again.. car has had the engine bay and surrounding front end sections blasted. Metal work starts today and tomorrow. There are 3 areas that need some attention. Both sides of the upper dog leg areas behind the wheels both need to have small sections cut out and replaced. Those are probably the worst areas. There is a small hole in the exterior section in front of the drivers side wheel that will also need some work as well. The battery area of the frame was pitted (from an exploded battery) but actually it turned out a lot better than we expected. He's still not totally done blasting it out... but all in all... the structure was all pretty solid and I am really glad. About another week or so and it will be back in the shop for reassembly. I cannot wait.   

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 2:53pm
Looking good.......rust issues are not that bad.

Having AMC Fun, 
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Looking good.......rust issues are not that bad.

Having AMC Fun, 
Ollie

Thanks Ollie! I can't wait for you to see it at the Show next year!

Also.. I can't wait to see your car too. Your build has provided me with a lot of inspiration too! 

Date Posted: Sep/20/2019 at 11:21am
Back for a few more progress pictures.. here is some of the rust repair and metal replacement. I have more pictures but the file sizes are apparently too large to upload them to this forum. These are only in rough finish form. this work was just being done as I got there to inspect the progress.. which I do on an almost near daily basis. They said the tops of the seams all had to be cut out and the battery shelf area is going to needed more attention than initially thought too as it was worse than originally thought. They should be done smoothing everything out by this Saturday and laying primer. Next week it should be getting painted.  

Date Posted: Sep/24/2019 at 12:54pm
Got a bunch of parts back from painter... The Matador Barcelona wheels turned out way way way better than I thought they would. I am very happy with them. I think once my top is redone in black the black rims will look really good on my Deep Maroon car.

Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 7:05am
Hello again to everyone in AMC Land!

The car is in 2nd stage primer as of last Friday. It should have paint when I go to see it today. I'm hoping to pick it up on Sat. So far I've been really happy with the body shop's work. The weather had slowed them down early on because they needed to blast it and do some things outside the building but all it did was rain on and off for almost two weeks straight. The rust issues were also more extensive than we initially thought as well. So that took extra time because they had to dig deeper into it than they anticipated but they have really really been moving on it now. Original time frame was 2-3 weeks... its been about 4-5 weeks but I am not complaining. This isn't something I wanted them to rush through. I hope to update tomorrow with the new Maroon color! Fingers crossed.

Posted By: SC397
Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 8:33am
"Any positive comments or questions.. please feel free to post!"
So I will quote a GM Engineer that I used to have to work with:  "Well, it doesn't suck.."
Honestly though - Nice job!

Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

"Any positive comments or questions.. please feel free to post!"
So I will quote a GM Engineer that I used to have to work with:  "Well, it doesn't suck.."
Honestly though - Nice job!

Bahaha... you already know what it all looks like! 

You get direct updates via the 1982 AMC Concord Call Center Hotline! 

Posted By: SC397
Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 12:26pm
Well I know but, I just can't resist the opportunity to be a smartazz when you set me up like that. 

Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Well I know but, I just can't resist the opportunity to be a smartazz when you set me up like that. 

Wouldn't have it any other way! 

Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 4:18pm
I think it look`s AWESOME!!!!  This is one step that is hard to go back and redo....

-------------

Posted By: BMOgremlin
Date Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 4:32pm
The only way your car could be any cooler was if i was a wagon lol what a sleeper it will be especially if its kinda quiet. Quite and quick!

Date Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 7:34am
Alright.. here's the moment you've all been waiting for! I wish I could've taken more pictures but my phone died right at the wrong moment! 

It's very, very maroon and I absolutely love it! I might impress easily but I am very very happy with the results. The fenders and hood are going to get cleaned up but stay the same faded color they've always been but when the hood gets opened.. it'll really all be bright, shiny and new. That's the overall look and theme that I'm going for. To the naked eye or casual observer... I'd like the car top be mostly unassuming and easily written off as an average old Concord. 

My goal is that hopefully that the people who are really interested in Concords will take a closer look and start to notice the little things or unique details I intend on adding as time goes on. For instance.. the Barcelona rims, how I changed the top to black or adding the Spirit GT/AMX Rally Pak gauges and Tachometer to the dash. Other exterior changes will include the stainless steel Venshades above the windows, OEM Concord stainless steel mud flaps and the thin version stainless steel wheel well trim from the earlier model Concord to complement the other chrome steel trim on the car. then I will black out the windows to help blend the upper window area into the black top. I am also playing around with the idea of blacking out the door frames and pillars to give it a two toned/shadow masked effect. For that I think I would just use an automotive wrap material for those areas vs. actually painting them. At this point that is just an idea for future consideration. 

Posted By: 70BBOAMX
Date Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 6:46pm
Lookin Sweet!

Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 8:46am
One step closer John, ........looking great !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/17/2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by 70BBOAMX 70BBOAMX wrote:

Lookin Sweet!

One step closer John, ........looking great !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Thanks guys! 

Here are some new pictures. Things are moving along. I recently brought my entire parts stash... that I had been building for the past 3 years... to my car wizard mechanic friend. I filled up my entire hatchback from the passenger seat to the back hatch all the way to the ceiling. 

One draw back that brought it to a halt.. one of the Camber bolt kits was missing a nut and of course.. I could not find them locally so I had to order another one online. Hopefully it will be here on Sat. 

Date Posted: Oct/17/2019 at 7:34pm
Love It!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/17/2019 at 7:55pm

Love It!!!!!

Thanks Anthony! I hope I got everything finally! I've only been collecting all these parts for the last 3 years!

Posted By: JERSEYJOE
Date Posted: Oct/17/2019 at 8:19pm
GREAT PROJECT!  Reminds me of the 1981 Spirit GT I build back in the 90's with a full blown 401, T-10. It looked like a stock spirit but it ran 12.60's

VERY NICE

-------------
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Date Posted: Oct/18/2019 at 6:26am
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

GREAT PROJECT!  Reminds me of the 1981 Spirit GT I build back in the 90's with a full blown 401, T-10. It looked like a stock spirit but it ran 12.60's

VERY NICE

Thanks Jersey Joe. That's exactly what I am going for. A mostly stock exterior look with some subtle changes here and there. I think the black Barcelona wheels, black top and darked out windows will help add to the unassuming look and still be complemented by the 80's stainless dress up parts as well. I saw a 79 Chevy Malibu the other day and a 80's Caprice yesterday that each had similar looks. I call it the "80's dressed up in a Tuxedo" look. You know... where they took whatever aftermarket chrome dress up parts they had on a shelf and slapped them on there before it hit the car lot! Ha... since I grew up in the 80's.. I remember a lot of cars like that and since I lived in Kenosha... I remember seeing all the Concords, Eagles and Spirits..etc... dressed up like that. So I want to dedicate my car's look to that time period since its an 80's car. I'm also looking forward to the day when I can put a hotter 360 in it too! That will really put the "sleeper" part into the Sedate Sedan!

Date Posted: Oct/18/2019 at 6:30am
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

The only way your car could be any cooler was if i was a wagon lol what a sleeper it will be especially if its kinda quiet. Quite and quick!

Thanks a lot. I apologize but I didn't see your compliment sooner! I have always wanted to do this to a wagon too but I have the 4dr and its my high school car! I really feel like the 360 I want later on will be really sweet!

Date Posted: Oct/18/2019 at 6:39am

I think it look`s AWESOME!!!!  This is one step that is hard to go back and redo....

Thanks Anthony! Hey... also... I could still use some insight on the ignition. I have a 3 wire ignition box stock in the 82 with the 258 and I have a late model Motorcraft dizzy on the 304. I intending on using the stock 258 alternator with the stock ignition box and make sure to lengthen the wiring harness to reach the dizzy on the v8. Some guys have said some I-6 harnesses had the extra length for the v8 built into the wiring but that it was folded and taped up in the wiring bundle. I am not sure mine is like that but if it is.. that would be great. Anyway... I am wondering if there is anything else you can add to help me make sure the spark is good! Thank you.     

Date Posted: Oct/18/2019 at 8:02pm
I think there is an event in Kenosha next year to celebrate the 50 year old AMX so I hope to be there with my car and meet you and this awesome sleeper

-------------
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Date Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 8:06am
Progress is still being made! At least when there's an engine in the engine bay.. it starts to feel like a real car again!

Engine was installed with a place holder mock up trans and suspension has started to be installed. The exhaust manifolds were also temporarily snugged into place so the strut rod brace could be accurately trimmed for clearance.

Also.. please keep in mind... the 304 isn't a fresh built engine.. it was just a clean runner. Also.. you'll be happy to know the water pump did get replaced!   

Date Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 9:07am
Very cool!

Date Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

I think there is an event in Kenosha next year to celebrate the 50 year old AMX so I hope to be there with my car and meet you and this awesome sleeper

Cool Jersey Joe. I'll be the only Maroon Concord there! I always am! If you see a tall bald guy near it... make sure to stop say hi! Thank you very much for the positive comments!

Very cool!

Thank you Michael!  

Posted By: amcenthusiast
Date Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 10:24pm
Yep; looking good! -makes me miss my old sweety-pie '80 Concord DL/great cruiser/plush ride.

-------------
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/

Date Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 7:20am
GREAT.
Somewhere on the streets of Jersey is my old sleeper 1981 Silver Spirit GT with the 401. Wish I had it back

-------------
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Date Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 10:35am
Only one picture today... working on securing a few last minute parts. One more weekend and it should be running! So get the popcorn ready... the 1st run video will coming up soon!

Date Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 7:29am
Another small update.

Centric Rotors and Raybestos Calipers

Date Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:12am
Just beautiful. Is your exhaust system going to be on the quiet side?

Date Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:15am
That looks beautiful. 

Date Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:34am

Just beautiful. Is your exhaust system going to be on the quiet side?

I think so but I'm not sure what mufflers I'm going with yet. I like the Magnaflow on my TBI 350 Caprice a lot. It sounds nice under throttle but it's mellow at idle.

I'm thinking about doing turn downs after the mufflers as well but that might only be temporary. The big problem I'm having is finding an exhaust shop that will bend an exhaust system and not force me to put catalytic converters back on the car. 

Posted By: Stormogdis
Date Posted: Nov/02/2019 at 11:15am
Awsome Job Thumbs Up
I love itBig smile

Date Posted: Nov/04/2019 at 7:05am

That looks beautiful. 

Originally posted by Stormogdis Stormogdis wrote:

Awsome Job Thumbs Up
I love itBig smile

Thank you very much! 

Date Posted: Nov/04/2019 at 7:18am
Here's the most recent update! Slowly but surely. Really happy with the project so far. I have to order a Lokar Throttle Linkage next, mufflers, a new battery... to put on the brand spanking new battery tray that I received from Kennedy American last week... a new windshield, 15 inch trim rings for the Barcelona wheels and new rear leaf springs.

Driver's side

Pass. side

Engine bay

Exhaust manifold fitment

Date Posted: Nov/12/2019 at 9:05am
Just a few parts to show off today. Trans. shop now has my car to install new transmission. After that... the body shop will have it for a few weeks. Most likely the car will be mothballed until next Spring very soon. Once Spring hits... the car will get the exhaust completed and tuned.

The only recent set back I had was yesterday. I called last week on Tues and set the appt. up  for the exhaust. I specifically told them that I would be bringing the car in in a trailer and they assured me that it would be done right away... so I could come back to pick it up and take it to the trans shop before the end of the night. I dropped the car off at Dave's Muffler in Kenosha, WI at 8:30AM... the assured me that my car would be completed around 12-1PM... I called at 2PM to tell them I was coming to pick up the car but they said they weren't done yet. So after I got off the phone with them I just went down there to see how far along they were. Well when I get there come to find out they didn't start it at all! Then they assured me that they would get it done first thing in the morning right away! Problem with that whole scenario is that I only had off work for that day to get everything accomplished! So I got p'd off then told them to open the door and push it out. Now they not only wasted my time but my friend's time and everyone else's who I had previously assured the car would be delivered with an exhaust!  

If you are in Kenosha and need muffler work done.. don't go to Dave's Muffler. Ever since the owner died the place sucks. Dave would've never let that happen. Ever. 

DynoMax Ultra Flo 2.25

Stainless heater connection

Lokar Trans kickdown and Throttle cables

(Stock photo of what the Lokar product will look like when hooked up.)

Date Posted: Nov/14/2019 at 7:31am
Know what you mean about dealing with shops and vendors, John. That was a bad deal especially considering you had to take a day off work. 

You will be happy with the Lokar cables, expensive but they are worth it. Never had a issue with the many I have installed and used. 

Sorry to hear that you will have to shut down your project for the winter. I am lucky tho, I can work year round in my shop. I do have to shut down on the coldest days as my heat only consists of butane burners on 5 gallon bottles. As long as its in the 50's i can keep it very nice. I can heat my paint room, its only 12' X 20', toasty warm no matter what. 

Looking forward to see you and the Concord in Kenosha.

Having AMC Fun, 
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 7:12am
Thanks for the support Ollie! 

The trans shop said they've used the Lokar cables many times so I think everything will be OK. Also the carb was already set up with the throttle cable and the carb went from fully closed to fully open just fine. I imagine it might need some tweaking but the engine was running when the Trans shop got it. The bad part is that since its snowing up here right now.. the trans shop can't set the kick down until Spring when the car can be driven outside on dry ground. Fortunately.. they are only 4-5 blocks away from my house anyway.. so getting it back to them in spring will be easy. The car will not be driven until then anyway.

As you already know.. I do not personally have a heated space to work on it in and the shop that its been sitting at while being worked on is going to be opening up as an Auto Sales and Service business very soon. So the car has to be mothballed until Spring at this point. Once April or May get here.. I'll get the front end aligned and then off to another exhaust shop.

I can't wait for you to see the Concord too! Quite honestly hanging out with you and seeing all the detailed work you did on your Rambler Convertible at the last show convinced me it was time to do more to my car! So thanks for the added inspiration!

Date Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 8:05am
John,
Nothing to set the kickdown cable. 

With both cables installed, carb and kickdown, and the carb cable adjusted to your satisfaction, do this:
Have someone press the accelerator pedal to the floor, loosen the kickdown cable pull through hex nut  with an allen wrench,  pull the kickdown cable as tight as you can and tighten the nut. You should be adjusted perfectly. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 8:08am

John,
Nothing to set the kickdown cable. 

With both cables installed, carb and kickdown, and the carb cable adjusted to your satisfaction, do this:
Have someone press the accelerator pedal to the floor, loosen the kickdown cable pull through hex nut  with an allen wrench,  pull the kickdown cable as tight as you can and tighten the nut. You should be adjusted perfectly. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

OK well as much as I'd like to just have my car wizard do it.. the Trans shop said for me to get my 2 year warranty... they have to do it themselves and I'm pretty committed to just letting them do it how they want to. The car wont be driven and it'll be a short, sweet process when the time comes!

Date Posted: Nov/15/2019 at 9:57am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

[QUOTE=
..... the Trans shop said for me to get my 2 year warranty... they have to do it themselves.........

issue solved..........LOL

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 7:37am
Still making progress! The new black vinyl top and a new front windshield are up next!

My dad polished up my trim really nice for me. The trim isn't "show-chrome perfect" but he managed to clean up a lot of stone dings and small bumps. He was a polisher for 20 some years. He said AMC had really good metal trim because he has polished trim from other brands and he can go right through the other side of some of the stuff out there really easy.

I got this trim from a green 1979 Concord Limited 2dr that some guy was parting out many years ago. It was a low mileage car that he got from his grandmother's estate. It had 54K miles on it but it sat in a poorly insulated garage for so long the underneath was totally gone and when he moved it the body was breaking apart. Anyway.. I was more than happy to pull the metal trim off of it.

After the top is done.. the front bumper, valance, hood and fenders will go on and everything will get realigned. Then it can have the front nose stuff put back on.. grille.. headlights... horn... headlights... running lamps... etc. Once the car is physically complete again it will need a front end alignment before finally getting the exhaust completed and a final drive-ability tune. Wish me luck. 

Date Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 6:25am
Moisture barrier coating and early stages of new black vinyl top. I'm told the coating is similar to some marine applications and designed to seal out water.

Initially the shop was going to use a 1970's coarse grain texture but I wanted the elks grain which is similar to the original 1980's top.

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 8:00am
Glad to see the coating under the vinyl top. I have seen far to many tops rotted out under the vinyl.
Good looking project. 

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Glad to see the coating under the vinyl top. I have seen far to many tops rotted out under the vinyl.
Good looking project. 

Thank you Ken.

Mine did have the typical issues under the rear 1/4 windows that many Concords have. The fiberglass inserts around the 1/4 windows allow moisture to build up underneath them. Then that rust comes out on the bottom edges which will eventually bubble the vinyl top. Fortunately mine did not require replacing metal or anything more than general refinishing and resealing. I got lucky around the front and rear windows too. No major rust in any of the window seal channel areas. I feel very very fortunate for that too. 

Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 7:09am
Here's the new top! Really happy with the way it looks. I think once I dark out the windows and add the stainless Ventshades... it'll be looking just how I want it to! The original rear window is being reinstalled but the windshield is being replaced with a whole new window. The original was very scratched up and had very heavy windshield wiper marks. I figured after 38 years.. its just something that had to be done while the top was being replaced anyway. For those of you that don't know me.. I'm not in the habit of revisiting something twice. That thinking is what delayed the start of this project for so long. I wanted to have all the parts ready and waiting as well as the funds to make sure the project went smoothly from beginning to end.  

Anyway.. next up... I'm debating on what to do with the tan pin stripes. Thinking about just taking them off altogether and not sure if I want to changes the color. If I did re-do them... I was thinking silver or just black... to double down on the silver and black undertones already but I'm interested in opinions. 

Also FINALLY got all the darn door handles (inside/outside) and windows working properly! Something was wrong with 3 out of 4 doors. The door handles are the smooth Jeep rear door handle replacement versions. They work really nice. I did find an NOS set of handles but the price tag couldn't be justified. I'm also replacing the window seals and sweeps in the front two doors because they are really really shot but all the weather-striping around the doors still look great! The hinge pins in the front doors are also being replaced as well. The driver side is the worst of the two. 

Last but not least.. the back deck tray has been redone and I bought a set of Kenwood 3 way speakers in so I'm adding speaker openings in it as well. Looking forward to finally having a working radio again! Its been way too long!

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:51am
The pinstripe color normally mimics the interior or top color but on your car the silver or none at all would most likely look best.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 9:24am
Wow, the top looks great! This is a great project thread!

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor
http://tinyurl.com/k84b6lx" rel="nofollow - 1971 Hornet SC/360 4-speed
1971 Javelin SST 401 4-speed

Posted By: SeanHatfield
Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 9:26am
Looking great! If it were me, I would keep the pinstripes, but change the color. Get one of those 3M eraser wheels and it will make quick work of it without messing with the paint. Sounds like you have a lot planned for this project and I'm excited to see the refreshing of this car!

Date Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 2:15pm
Thanks a lot for the positive feed back guys! I have owned this car since 1993 and its been a long time waiting for this to happen! 

As much as I liked the tan pinstripe with the original maroon top.. I think the new black top will call for something else. I am torn for bringing it back in a different color but for now I'll delete it. Its falling off in certain places anyway. Darn shame to remove the pillar stripes because they are still really nice but the body stripes are really falling off!    

Date Posted: Dec/17/2019 at 8:12am
I ordered a black '78 Concord DL new in '78 and it came with a burgundy interior and matching stripes. I always thought it would look better with gold stripes and had I kept it, I would have had them changed.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/18/2019 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

I ordered a black '78 Concord DL new in '78 and it came with a burgundy interior and matching stripes. I always thought it would look better with gold stripes and had I kept it, I would have had them changed.

Later!
Mr. Ed

I've been thinking a lot about it.. its one of those little details that may not matter to a lot of other guys but I am hung up on this a bit. I'm going to take them off for now and think about what color if any I would like to see their when they are gone. I think that is the only way I'll know what I would be happy with for sure. 

Date Posted: Dec/18/2019 at 6:31am
So.. another small detail that I sort of hung up over is the color of the rear window trim. From the factory the rear window trim is painted to match the top. I have another set of rear window trim that I am having painted black. My stock set will be stripped and my dad is going to polish them because they are free of dents. At that point I am going to compare the looks of the two different versions before I make up my mind totally. I am 90% certain I will use the polished set because I want to give it that old school classic feel of a black top surrounded by stainless steel pieces... but if for some reason I really like the black surround.. I want to have those pieces ready too.  

Date Posted: Jan/02/2020 at 6:24pm
I just found in my stash a box with the dealer promo books they kind that a in a big three ring binder. They would look cool on your front seat at a car show they are for 1983. If ya want them I'll send them to ya. They should be in better hands than mine. 

Date Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 6:18am

I just found in my stash a box with the dealer promo books they kind that a in a big three ring binder. They would look cool on your front seat at a car show they are for 1983. If ya want them I'll send them to ya. They should be in better hands than mine. 

Hey thanks! That would be cool! This car's goal is going to Kenosha Homecoming 2020! 

Date Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 8:22am
Hello everyone. I have taken a short vacation over the American holiday season and I'm back with more pictures and progress to report.

Windshield and rear window should've been in already but there was a slight delay in getting the chrome trim ready for installation and the back deck shelf needed to be properly cut out for 6x9 speakers which was made easier by not having a rear window! 

The biggest thing recently is that the body shop buffed and polished the whole car's paint. Holy Cow. The paint is so good looking now that the difference between the engine bay and the old exterior paint is barely noticeable. I was quite shocked at how well they brought back the gloss coat on my car. As you can tell by the pictures.. the top of the fenders and cowl area blend into the engine bay very very nicely. Its so close its barely noticeable and I am very impressed by this similarity. In the pictures.. you can tell the inner fender lip has not been cleaned or polished yet and still shows the high level of contamination in the original paint. The bright shiny paint really offsets the black top even better now and I am really really happy with the over all look so far.

Also.. the new pinstripe was applied, new hinge pins and bushing as well as window seals and sweeps were installed in the front doors and all the chrome accessories were installed as well. This includes the Ventshades, NOS mud flaps and wheel well trim. Once the freshly polished front/rear window trim and the black 3 piece Barcelona rims with are installed this car should really be looking sharp. 

Last but not least... they also undercoated the rear portion of the wheels wells behind the front wheels. I was really tron on wanting to do this... I didn't want to cover up all the fresh paint but at the same time I know that I'll be driving the heck out of this car and didn't want the new paint to be nicked up and chipped.. so the body shop recommended that the rear wheel well areas be undercoated and leave the front portion in fresh paint. I thought this was a good compromise and told them to move forward with it as the rocks from the tires would be spit up in the rear area more so than anything. 

Also last but not least I have just a few pictures that show off just how sanitary it is underneath now. While this is not a points style restoration... it's quite a bit cleaner than what was under there before! 

This picture was taken before the body was cleaned up... but here's the baby is resting... (stock 1973 Javelin 304 for those of you just joining us).... 

Date Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 10:12am
One more thing I wanted to make note of... this is my friend Frankie's Jeep.

He bought the 258 engine out of my Concord and installed it in his plow Jeep! He used a Weber carb and its running like a champ for him. I am very very happy that the engine worked out so well for him. I thought that it would be best suited for a Jeep because I put an RV camshaft in it when it was rebuilt. He is a Mechanic and knew exactly what he was doing. I am going to be very honest here.. my old engine runs better in his Jeep than it ever did for me! Ha.. I am very very happy for my new friend and his old working Jeep!

Date Posted: Jan/07/2020 at 8:54pm
Here's some pics from the book 

Date Posted: Jan/07/2020 at 8:56pm
A couple more

Date Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 6:25am
That's cool! It even has a maroon car in it! 

That picture reminds me about why I wanted to change the top to black. The maroon vinyl was never an exact match to the paint and the two different shades always bothered me! haha

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 9:07pm
Nice looking maroon Concord, it’ll be fun to drive with the 304. Very cool also that your friend was able to use your 258 and get it to run so well. Good job! 

Date Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 2:16pm
Well I am very very pleased to report that the Sedate Sedan is now home! It's been a slow 5 months but the baby is once again back in the garage and resting comfortably! This may be the last update for a few months as its winter here and it'll be too cold to work on it in the space that its currently in. Now it will be mothballed until April or May when I can have the finishing touches put on! The next things on the list are: 

1.) True dual exhaust with turn downs on the mufflers. 
2.) The front nose work... reinstall headlights, grille, horn, running lamps. 
3.) Shake down runs for fine tuning drive-ability.
4.) Rear leaf springs and shocks.

One of the many things I like the most is the way the polished trim turned out. My dad is now retired but he was an industrial stainless steel polisher for more than 20 years! He said the AMC trim quality was a lot better than he expected. While he could've spent a lot more time doing it.. he gave them all a good once over and I am very very pleased with the results. The trim around the front and rear windows really shine now!

New windshield is from the later model Eagle cars notice the black edging around the window. Keeping the old one was not an option considering how badly the window was scratched from the window wipers after 37 years. 

The back deck was replaced and I had some decent 3 way Kenwood 6x9's installed for tunes! I haven't listened to the radio in this car for more than 20 years!

The wheel well trim I used is the thin version that the earlier small cars had. My 82 had the wider aluminium wheel well trim. Remember... I also added the Ventshades over the windows and new NOS mudflaps as well. The freshly painted black Barcelona rims will also have the chrome center caps and stainless beauty rings as well which I feel will compliment the overall look of the car nicely.

Decided on the black pinstripe and I don't regret it! I like how its not real noticeable until you get closer to it. This is after-all the overall theme of the Sedate Sedan!

And it's now officially a Concord GT. The car that never was and never will be again! haha... just having a little fin with this! It took me a long time to find those emblems. At the Homecoming 2017 show I complained to my cousin that I had been looking for many years and couldn't find them. Well we walked around and visited with some of his friends... low and behold... I ended up with two sets. I kept the nicer set at home and put the slightly worn set on my car. It is a driver after all! Ha.

Anyway.. that's it for now.. please feel free to ask questions if you have any. Thank you everyone for the support! I appreciate the time so many of you have spent helping me with the little details. I could make a long list and thank everyone individually but each of you know who you are! If you ever got a text message or an email from me bugging you about something... then that means you helped me out and I appreciate you for it! Above all.. thank you for the positive comments over the past few months!

Date Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 9:09pm
You are doing a great job John !!!

I know you are looking forward to spring and start driving around.
See ya at Kennedy Park.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 6:24am

You are doing a great job John !!!

I know you are looking forward to spring and start driving around.
See ya at Kennedy Park.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

You are correct sir! I am itching to get to driving it! 

I wish that it already had the exhaust so I could've turned the engine over and let it run periodically throughout the winter. That earlier snafu with the exhaust shop really screwed that all up! I will never forgive those guys for throwing off my plan. All they had to do is the work that I was prepared to pay for! 

Anyway... I cannot wait for you to see it Ollie! At the last show I just got it stuck in my craw that I had to finally pull this car together for the next AMC show! I had been collecting all the parts for years.. it was just time to do it! 

And just so you know... I'm really hoping to earn the Ollie Motorsports Best of Show award again with this effort!!!! 

;)~   

Posted By: mitchito
Date Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 11:31am
Love what you did to the car, you have talent

-------------
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X

Date Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by mitchito mitchito wrote:

Love what you did to the car, you have talent

Hey Mitch! Thank you very very much but I want to be very clear... unlike many many other people here on this forum... I personally did very little with my own hands on my car! The only thing I can be responsible for is meticulously researching the parts needed, creating detailed lists of said parts, purchasing and collecting a massive amount of parts (over a very very long period of time), having the vision of what I wanted the car to look like and picking the right people to do the work. 

So while I personally did not do the body work or turn any wrenches.. I was the micromanaging project manager who was in constant touch with the mechanic, parts painter, trans shop and body shop to make sure the project was moving along at the right pace. I have had this car for 26 years.. I spent a lot of my younger years fixing it and as I got older I felt like I just didn't have the proper skill level to do all the work right. So I elected to build a huge inventory of parts, save the money to have it done right and get it done in a timely manner. I felt that if I tried to do it myself.. I would get bogged down due to the learning curve and that would risk not getting it finished. As you know... so many people start projects they never finish for those reasons and I made a conscious decision not to be one of those guys. 

I also want to be even more honest here... I was very very nervous about letting someone take my car, dismantle it and refurbish it. My car has never been out of my garage and left some where for longer than a day. That by itself was stressful for me but so was the constant parts hunting. The various people would call me up and tell me that needed parts A, B, C and D...etc... and I would have to keep finding things as they popped up. Over the past 5 months I really felt like I was working an exhausting 2nd part time job.

As is.. I cannot be happier with my decision to do it this way. I managed to find several shops that could've easily dismantled it and put it back together but in the end.. I went with my old friend who lived across the street from me. He was literally the first person who ever saw me bring my car home after buying it and it meant a lot to have him working on it. He went above and beyond what he said he would do. On top of it.. I managed to involve my cousin who is a painting and coating specialist who helped me paint a lot of the hard parts. He took care of the painting the rims, engine brackets, brake, steering and suspension parts... etc. Then my dad polished a lot of the trim pieces. I got the 73 Javelin 304 from Rick Jones who also helped me out with a ton of little details over the phone and email. The trans was built by a local trans shop that is just down the street from me. The owner did me a favor on my car like 20 years ago when i was a broke 20 year old. My car broke down and wouldn't shift right. I dropped it off and had him look at it for me. When he called to tell me it was ready I asked him how much I owed him. He said.. "Look kid... you can't afford what this trans needed.. so i did what I could for you. I hope you get some more use out of it long enough to save up to get it fixed right." Well I never ended up getting the trans redone afterward because it held up the whole time! So it was a given that I would take it right back to him! And last but not least.. I picked the best Body shop in the area based on their experience with fixing and restoring AMC vehicles. PAB Auto Body did more than I ever imagined. On top of it... Brian the owner listened to every single detail and put up with me visiting the shop almost ever single day to see the progress. He let me add things as they were needed and there wasn't one single thing that I could've complained about. The guys and girls working at his shop were absolute pros and I do not regret taking it to them. They restored several of my cousin's AMC cars... all of which were show winners and they told me he will do great work. Well they were right and I could not be happier with how the paint and body turned out. The new engine bay paint is darn near identical to the old paint on the fenders and cowl area. Only a trained eye can tell the difference and even then... it is just not obvious at all that the engine bay was redone. 

Anyway... I just want to be up front about the process and my overall involvement.   

Date Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 7:01am
Barcelona rims waiting for AMC center caps and trim rings. I'm going to use the standard GM Van/Truck beauty rings. They are readily available in good condition from any salvage yard. I have been looking for the specific early-mid 90's Chevy Caprice 9C1 beauty rings like I have on my Caprice but I cannot find that particular style.  

Just have to clean up a few more rusty parts, add the air cleaner and figure out what I am doing for cooling.

Date Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 9:08am
Pm me with your address and i will send that sales book to you

Posted By: amc78concord
Date Posted: Feb/05/2020 at 3:32am
Excellent Work, John.  It'll be a ton of fun with the 304 in there.
Same color as my 4-door Concord I am working on.
Good to see the "Not-as-Popular" AMC's getting some attention.

Keep up the Good Work

Date Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 7:01am
Originally posted by amc78concord amc78concord wrote:

Excellent Work, John.  It'll be a ton of fun with the 304 in there.
Same color as my 4-door Concord I am working on.
Good to see the "Not-as-Popular" AMC's getting some attention.

Keep up the Good Work

Thanks a lot! It's my high school car and I've had it for 27 years! I live in Kenosha and when I was younger all my friends were driving Spirit GT's and AMX's but I really liked my Concord sedan because I could fit more people in it! 

I always had a vision for what I wanted to do to it and today I am doing all those things finally. The last bits going in the car will be a Hornet non-AC package tray under the dash board with the Rally Pak gauges from a Spirit GT/AMX (in a early Hornet/Gremlin gauge pod) on the hump and the RPM gauge from the Spirit GT/AMX in the dash cluster. Then that will be it for a while.

Eventually I'd like a 360, a Ford 8.8 and a fresh paint job too but those things are going to have to wait! For the now the 304 will give it a nice kick in the pants! It's a 73 Javelin 304 so its not the late model 304 emissions engine from the 79 Spirit. It's got a slightly better camshaft and touch better compression.

Thanks again for the complements! I really appreciate all the positive comments. I'm really glad I still have my Concord after all these years. As it turned out... there's a lot of people who have fond AMC memories of a Concord! 

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 8:27am

It's my high school car and I've had it for 27 years!
Wow, 27 years in high school. I salute your determination. Best of luck in getting that diploma. LOL

Seriously, I have been following and enjoying this build. Not every project needs to be a 100 point resto to be interesting.

-------------
My garage:
2018 300 5.7 - daily driver
2006 Sierra 4.8 - backup vehicle and sometimes hauler
1969 BBO Javelin 390 T10 - my neverending project

Date Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 8:49am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

It's my high school car and I've had it for 27 years!
Wow, 27 years in high school. I salute your determination. Best of luck in getting that diploma. LOL

Seriously, I have been following and enjoying this build. Not every project needs to be a 100 point resto to be interesting.

Haha... been to a few colleges since then! Seriously... Thanks a lot. I just like the car and I like the reaction the car gets from people at a gas station or a car show or from people that remember me from high school and are really surprised I still have it! I just wanted this car to have some slight upgrades but still have an unassuming mostly stock look. So far the response has been good from people who have seen it up close and even though its still going to get driven a lot... I wanted this to be done at a high level. When I drive it again... I want the first driving experience to feel like I have a new car again. They'll be some tuning, tweaks and adjustments for a while but that's all par for the course considering how much work had been done. As much as I am doing this for myself... and I am doing this for myself... ha... I am doing it for other people too. My hope is that this Concord causes a few people to buy some more of these old Concords before they're gone. My idea is that the Concord will be the last semi-slightly collectible Malaise Era AMC and people will really be kicking themselves that they didn't get a nice clean one while they were still around. They are a car that defines an era of my life in the city that AMC and I are both from but its also a tribute to all the fun AMC/VAM/IKA/AIM people I have met along the way. I consulted with a lot of people over the years over a lot of different aspects of my car.. from the engine... to the body and paint work... the transmission.. the suspension.. the brakes... I have reached out to several people here over the years... badgering some with emails and text messages and phone calls to no end... and I while I cannot thank all those people here individually... they should know who they are and also know that their individual efforts are a part of this car too. I am thankful for all my friends and family who have helped me and supported me over the years. Without them this car would not be coming together today.

Date Posted: Mar/23/2020 at 9:44am
Hello everyone. Not much to say. Just a few pictures of the parts I want to install in the future. I have had these for a while now. The non-AC package tray and the pod are from a 70's Gremlin/Hornet. The gauges are from a Spirit GT/AMX.

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 7:17pm
Nice!!!! I got the same gauge pod for our 78 Concord project....I will admit i`m only installing it for show and not hooking it up

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 8:10pm

Nice!!!! I got the same gauge pod for our 78 Concord project....I will admit i`m only installing it for show and not hooking it up

Thanks a lot Anthony! Sorry. I just saw your comment now. I appreciate it. Your work on your son's Concord is what inspired me. 

Date Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 8:18pm
Can't wait to see it outside with the sun shinning on it. Keep up the great work on a very cool ride. 

Date Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 9:09pm

Can't wait to see it outside with the sun shinning on it. Keep up the great work on a very cool ride. 
Thank you very much. I can't wait to see it in the sun too! It's been a long time waiting. I've owned the car for 27 years. I've been planning this for a long long time. I need to get it on the road! 

Date Posted: May/03/2020 at 5:39pm
Well... As promised... May is here and I'm starting to mess around with my Concord again. Today the front nose pieces were reinstalled and the car is really starting to look good. As many of you already know... It's a Concord and I impress easily. Anyway... I installed the 15in. Barcelona rims and they look great. One observation... The front end is really high still. 

I bought the shortest spring possible for the 79 v8 Concord but it's darn near as high as the rear with the 20 year old  wagon special order leaf springs. I hope the rear will be taller again once I put on the new special order set. If not... I think a set of drop spindle plates are in my future.

For anyone interested... I got these leaf springs from Babcock Springs in Milwaukee, WI. They are apparently called the AMC  SS spring in their inventory books. These were special made and not cheap. Put it this way... In 1993 when I ordered the same spring from them... Yes the same company.... It was a shelf item back then and cost roughly a 1/3 of what I paid in Dec. 2019 for these new ones. I got my monies worth and wasn't going to go some place else. My current springs are an inch off of each other. While I could've probably had them add a new lower helper leaf... I elected to retire them and just get a new set. Apparently this spring will also fit the early 69-70 Javelin as well.

Now the second thing I started messing with was the darn alternator bracket. Once again I got another alt. bracket and once again it doesn't work. I don't know what I'm missing here. I'm hoping one of you can can tell me. The one I'm currently using is an A/C Alt. bracket from a Jeep J10 with a 360. At first I didn't know that it was missing the compressor shelf portion. So I got a different bracket because I wasn't using AC. This AC bracket fits with the stock 6 cylinder alternator. 

So then I got a z bracket alt. mount instead. Then when I tried mock up the alt. with the bracket it didn't fit the new alt. I bought the higher output ACDelco alt for the 82 Concord because the one I had already fit on the A/C bracket. Now the replacement doesn't fit the new bracket. Does this have to be modified or can I obtain one that fits this bracket and works in my car? Anyone know please chime in.

Last but not least I found out just how badly my strut rods are adjusted today... 😩

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: May/03/2020 at 6:02pm
Them things usually come in threes... x fingers just two for now.

I sold a late model alternator bracket kit long ago, but kept my exploded diagram. This may help....

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: May/04/2020 at 11:50am
AMC always had a higher front end. I didn't like ti so when I had the front end off of the Spirit GT, I cut out the bottom coil of the front end. It sat perfectly. I used my Dremel. I will caution you to watch where you put your fingers.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Them things usually come in threes... x fingers just two for now.

I sold a late model alternator bracket kit long ago, but kept my exploded diagram. This may help....

That's a lot of little parts to find. I checked eBay and everything there is only partial kits. 

Has anyone used this kit? My engine is a 73 but my car is an 82... So this bracket should a least work to mount the alternator right?  It's from American Parts Depot. 

Date Posted: May/05/2020 at 10:16am
It should work on late 71 on up v8 engines... may work on earlier engines, but the heads are missing a bolt location, probably not a concern with the alternator brackets, but mostly an issue with late Sanden A/C bracket.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: May/05/2020 at 10:46am

It should work on late 71 on up v8 engines... may work on earlier engines, but the heads are missing a bolt location, probably not a concern with the alternator brackets, but mostly an issue with late Sanden A/C bracket.

They have it listed for engine up to 74. I sure hope this works because I am gong to order it. Tired of all this messing around. I already have two brackets that didn't  work.

I was reading that my early style bracket could be modified but I just don't want to mess with it anymore. I need to work on other stuff and this thing needs to to be in place soon to be able to get the exhaust installed and the engine tuned properly to drive.

Date Posted: May/05/2020 at 11:13am
I think if any thing you may need to shave the spacers a wee bit. I collected some various height spacers from my different year brackets and water pump. The long one is probably good on its length.

They look to be proper for fitment. Nothing much different, between 74 and later engines, other than they have Delco alternators already. I think that's why they list it for pre 75.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: May/05/2020 at 11:43am

I think if any thing you may need to shave the spacers a wee bit. I collected some various height spacers from my different year brackets and water pump. The long one is probably good on its length.

They look to be proper for fitment. Nothing much different, between 74 and later engines, other than they have Delco alternators already. I think that's why they list it for pre 75.

I also hope it fits the small car engine bay.

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/930%201601A%20Installation%20Instructions.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/930%201601A%20Installation%20Instructions.htm

So the 2nd bracket that wouldn't fit the 10SI alt that I just bought recently is for the Motorola alt then? 

Date Posted: May/05/2020 at 11:47am
There seems to be enough swing on the lower bracket to allow the alternator ride lower... just need to obtain a shorter fan belt.

If going to a smaller fan belt, the arm can be shortened and a new mounting hole can be drilled so the bottom arm does not protrude so much. Then trim off the original end of the lower bracket once properly adjusted for length.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 7:34am
Well I finally got the exhaust installed on the Concord. They did a great job. It looks awesome. Perfectly bent and hung even underneath the car. I'm really really happy with it. It's mellow and has a really really nice tone with the Ultra Flow mufflers. I used 2 & 1/4 pipes to match the inlet/outlets of the mufflers. After consulting with a few of my favorite AMC people... They all recommended the 2&1/4 size as the slightly warmed up 304 wouldn't truly benefit much from a larger pipe diameter. 

We are having a slight back fire issue... So if anyone can help me out on that please visit the post I made in the Engine Section.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/4300-carb-issue_topic106041.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/4300-carb-issue_topic106041.html

Date Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 9:07am

So went to finally install the 3rd new bracket and the 10si ACDelco alternator and nope... The case on the alternator is apparently too big and it's hitting the bolt on the engine mount! So... We tried the stock AMC 6 cylinder alternator and that one fit fine. So does anyone know why the case on this one is so much bigger? Also... Does anyone want to buy a brand new alternator? 😒

Date Posted: Jun/11/2020 at 1:27pm
Another little update... Still having problems with the 4300... looks like I might be ordering a new carb... Probably 500cfm and leaning towards the Eddy AVS2 or Summit/Motorcraft 4100 repop. Before we do that... We are going to try a 4 hole spacer  and some new gaskets to see if the 4300 isn't sealing good on the Eddy Performer intake. If that doesn't work... A new carb is getting ordered.

Made progress on a few other things too... electric fan is mocked up. My mechanic friend says it fits like a glove. I agree. I think it classes the place up a bit.
I'm really glad I customized the positive battery terminal... It has the perfect amount of room in that corner for everything...

The alternator bracket from American Parts Depot is made really well. 

Just need to install the newly rebuilt alternator now. It was rebuilt from 43 to 70 amps.

Last but not least... I finally got a nice deal for 4 center caps to put on the Barcelona wheels.

Date Posted: Jun/28/2020 at 7:26pm
Well... I got the new AVS2 500CFM carb and the Holley 803 regulator that Phat recommended. I hope to get it all put on in the next week... If not it'll have to wait until after July 4th. I anticipate routing it across the front of the carb. Before I purchased the regulator, fuel filter and AN fittings... I verified if this was a good arrangement at Don's speed shop across the street from my house. They said they've ran this exact set up many times and it will be fine because the AMC intake manifold gives it enough clearance to route in that direction. It's also convenient because of where the fuel line is routed from the factory anyway. So I'll just have to get a fuel gauge and one more fitting to run to the bottom of the regulator. I hope it all fits together nicely.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net