TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Prestolite wiper park function question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 3:03pm
Ok, it's fixed !! Many, many thanks to Bill D.

There were two problems within the wiper motor that was causing the wonky parking issues and Bill's thorough text and pictures were of IMMENSE HELP. Problem one was that the cam pin on the plastic park switch cam was on the wrong ( wide) side of the metal flip tabs on the main gear plate. I'm sure this was what was causing the erratic park position of the wiper blades. When I corrected this the wipers were then "parking" at the top of their sweep. But... they were now always parking in the same spot.

This was corrected by removing and clocking the metal plate with the flip tabs 180 degrees rotation. This plate is on the top of the main gear and is held in place with a single nut and lockwasher. I also made sure that the plastic cam tab of the parking switch was positioned in the correct, narrow side spacing, between the actuating tabs on the metal plate.

It's now parking perfectly every time.

Edited by george w - Jan/22/2021 at 4:33am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 4:48pm
Excellent! I think I'll make a "sticky" out of this so others can find it again. Bill's attention to detail is second to none!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Ok, it's fixed !! Many, many thanks to Bill D.

There were two problems within the wiper motor that was causing the wonky parking issues and Bill's thorough text and pictures were of IMMENSE HELP. Problem one was that the cam pin on the plastic park switch cam was on the wrong ( wide) side of the metal flip tabs on the main gear plate. I'm sure this was what was causing the erratic park position of the wiper blades. When I corrected this the wiper were then "parking" at the top of their sweep. But... they were now always parking in the same spot.

This was corrected by removing and clocking the metal plate with the flip tabs 180 degrees rotation. This plate is on the top of the main gear and is held in place with a single nut and lockwasher. I also made sure that the plastic cam tab of the parking switch was positioned in the correct, narrow side spacing, between the actuating tabs on the metal plate.

It's now parking perfectly every time.

I've screwed this up myself with the vertical parking!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 10:26pm
BRAVO, George! Glad to hear it. The best part - you didn't have to tear the whole thing apart to do it. 

Here are pics of one that was sent to me last year - a "restored" motor that didn't park correctly and acted like George's wipers. I had a funny feeling the way the guy who was working on the car and sent the motor to me to fix had described it. 
So I lifted the park switch back and althought the grease was excessive, on the other hand, I could tell instantly where that pin had been hitting the tabs. You can see the pattern in the grease. While I had it open I also saw the plate was on the gear wrong, too - 180 degrees off. So I pulled the plate, turned it 180, put it back, made sure the cam hit those tabs correctly. 

There were multiple other issues with it but that's for a different discussion.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2021 at 4:32am
It was a big plus that I was able, with Bill's help, to solve my problem without having to remove the wiper motor from the car or to have to send it back to the rebuilder. It's unfortunate that the TSM provided no useful information other than the wiring diagram between the switch and the motor. It's a huge help when troubleshooting if one knows the principle of how a part works. For example the TSM is very useful in explaining how the automatic transmission works and shifts through the gears and how the air conditioning system operates, but I guess small, outsourced assemblies like the wiper motor, are pretty much ignored.
Fortunately we have some real experts here on the Forum that can fill in these gaps of knowledge. Thanks to all who also helped with tips regarding the wiper switch and it's grounding requirements.

Just as a side comment, the difference between the slowest setting and the fastest setting on these Prestolite electric wipers is nowhere near as great as that provided with the vacuum wiper system. For all practical purposes this "variable" electric system is roughly comparable to a standard two speed electric system of the era.

Edited by george w - Jan/22/2021 at 4:39am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2021 at 3:22pm
To be fair, a TSM isn't going to try and tell you all the details on how to properly 100% rebuild a wiper motor. Dealers didn't do this in 1968, and still don't today; they replace the motor because time is $. AMC dealers didn't replace the UCA bushings 50 yrs ago- they replaced the control arm. And many vehicles today a dealer will still only replace the control arm if it needs a ball joint- because it's pressed in and that's how the OE part is supplied.

But to keep a 50+ year old car functioning today, we need to know more than the dealers did.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2021 at 5:17pm
Some AMC dealers did replace the upper control arm bushings. I have the K-M tools we used (and it's in the TSM)  It's where I learned to do the bushings without removing the control arm, leaving the upper ball joint in the steering knuckle. We replaced bushings.

We repaired alternators to a point - bearings and brushes - again, I have the K-M tools we used. 

WARRANTY repairs were different - the whole part would be replaced under warranty. But when it came to repairs, you betcha we did the repairs as selling a customer an entire wiper motor or alternator when you could replace bearings and brushes in minutes...... You can swap out stripped wiper motor gears in minutes, a lot less time than swapping the entire wiper motor and cussing the clips and washers. Like George found, you can do a lot without removing it. 

The wiper motors were a "service the simple stuff" item - plastic gears, eccentrics, etc. but otherwise you swapped out the whole wiper motor. You didn't get into the brushes and bushings. That's why you have NOS gears, park switches and so on still around at times, but don't find brushes and bushings. I can replace the park switch or gear in there a whole lot faster and cheaper than trying to sell the customer a new wiper motor and the labor to replace it. 

The thing George ran into was human error - the person who worked on it didn't put it together right. 
When you serviced them, you paid attention to disassembly and put it back the same way. 

Books cover wear and tear and breakage, not someone doing something stupid - not human intervention as the cause of the malfunction.
Diagnostics are intended to troubleshoot normal issues.  
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Some AMC dealers did replace the upper control arm bushings. I have the K-M tools we used (and it's in the TSM)  It's where I learned to do the bushings without removing the control arm, leaving the upper ball joint in the steering knuckle. We replaced bushings.

We repaired alternators to a point - bearings and brushes - again, I have the K-M tools we used. 

WARRANTY repairs were different - the whole part would be replaced under warranty. But when it came to repairs, you betcha we did the repairs as selling a customer an entire wiper motor or alternator when you could replace bearings and brushes in minutes...... You can swap out stripped wiper motor gears in minutes, a lot less time than swapping the entire wiper motor and cussing the clips and washers. Like George found, you can do a lot without removing it. 

The wiper motors were a "service the simple stuff" item - plastic gears, eccentrics, etc. but otherwise you swapped out the whole wiper motor. You didn't get into the brushes and bushings. That's why you have NOS gears, park switches and so on still around at times, but don't find brushes and bushings. I can replace the park switch or gear in there a whole lot faster and cheaper than trying to sell the customer a new wiper motor and the labor to replace it. 

The thing George ran into was human error - the person who worked on it didn't put it together right. 
When you serviced them, you paid attention to disassembly and put it back the same way. 

Books cover wear and tear and breakage, not someone doing something stupid - not human intervention as the cause of the malfunction.
Diagnostics are intended to troubleshoot normal issues.  

Sorry, I meant the 67-9 small car UCA bushings.  These bushings were never carried by AMC, only aftermarket.  One UCA sold for something like $3.50 retail at the time so there was no way that a dealer was going to spend 30 minutes changing the bushing.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 2:55pm
Those were a royal pain - one reason we kept a lot of good spare stuff around in the 70s as after they stopped selling cars, we still did the upkeep on them so almost all customers for a while were "Rambler owners". You learned tricks as many of our customers were older and they'd scrap the car before they'd pay 50 bucks for a repair. 

DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2021 at 1:14pm
My wiper motor has a parking problem, but it looks like the cam follower is not opening the contacts. The pin was in the correct orientation. I can see wear/melting on it. Is a replacement follower available, or do I need to adjust contacts so they will consistently open? Bending down, or shimming the cam? The motor will rotate backwards 1 stop out of 10, so I guess it does work sometimes.

Regards

Dono
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic