TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Prestolite wiper park function question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prestolite wiper park function question
    Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 12:26pm
The David Bass rebuilt Prestolite wiper motor in my 67 Ambassador almost never wants to properly "park" the wipers when the switch is turned to off. Usually the wipers will simply stop in place or park half way up. I tried a new wiper switch and it made no difference. The wipers wipe normally as they should. As I'm sure most everyone knows removing the wiper motor to be sent back for fixing is a major pita. I'm assuming the problem is within the gear housing where the wires are connected. The gear case cover looks like it's reasonably easy to remove without the need to remove the entire motor. Does anyone have any experience what what is inside? The TSM shows a parking switch but gives no details or drawings on how it's supposed to be actuated. Maybe mine just has dirty or bad contacts or is somehow broken ? Help would be appreciated !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 12:44pm
I can't remember who posted this.  I THINK it was either billd or 401MatCoupe but I am not sure.  I know it wasn't me!!  But I think this is what you are looking for.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 12:51pm
Ask BillD!
Make sure that switch is grounded really good, as that's necessary for the park feature to work.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 12:55pm
Thanks, but not exactly what I'm looking for. This is the wiring diagram that's in the TSM. What I'm hoping for is a "look inside" the gear case cover to figure out how the park switch works mechanically and what it looks like. Since it works sporadically I'm assuming it's a contact problem but it could be worn in some way that it's not working or engaging as it should.
I'm trying to get a sense of what I may get into if I take that cover off while the wiper motor is still in the car. My fear is of flying springs and small parts when I take the cover off !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 1:06pm
Ramblinrev, I'm pretty sure that the switch is grounded OK to the dash through it's mounting shaft. It's tightly secured but I'll check it with a ohm meter just to be sure. The wiper's variable speed control function works properly and all the dash lights that illuminate the "lights", "wiper", "ignition", "lighter" and "a/c cooling" bezel lenses along the lower dash are lighting as they should. I'm almost 100% sure the issue is within the motor itself.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 1:12pm
Just confirmed with analog ohm meter that switch body to dash ground is good. 0 ohms reading on Rx1 scale.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 4:09pm
The cam moves the rocker at the top which moves the contact arms.
Edit- this was disassembled and re-riveted.

Edited by Steve_P - Jan/20/2021 at 4:11pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 7:42pm
That picture is a big help. Thanks !
It looks like those two copper contacts are normally out of the circuit when the wiper switch is turned on and when the wiper switch is turned to off power continues to the motor through the blue wire and those closed two copper contacts. These contacts are closed keeping the motor powered until the contacts open when the cam rotates to the position where the wipers are at the bottom of their path.
From the way my wipers are acting it seems that these two copper contacts are either not touching, barely touching, corroded or contaminated so they're not making good contact when they're supposed to be closed.
I'll be taking that cover off tomorrow to check things out !

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 11:03am
Took the cover off and opened up the housing this morning. I can't see where the pin on the guitar pick shaped rotating cam is supposed to engage
on the driven main gear.
FleetMaster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FleetMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 11:40am
I know you checked the switch, what about the motor properly grounded?  Had an issue on a very rusty brand X where the wiper motor would lose ground and keep cycling or park after a few more cycles.  If the internal checks do not help, check that the motor is properly grounded when you remount.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic