TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Prestolite ignition DIED..!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

We know this, but a reminder: the last carbureted vehicles were built in the early 1980s; don't expect to find a carb kit anywhere local in stock; that was 40 years ago.  You might as well expect to find unique Studebaker parts in stock at the local Napa.   The only vehicles that I see in my area on the road that are that old, are trucks.  As far as points, they went away earlier so don't expect to walk into a parts store and find them.  
But as I said, if you maintain them at even half as well as you should, they don't fail.  No one carried spare points and coils 50 years ago.  But we're supposed to think the Prestolite and Unilite were an improvement "as long as you carried a spare... in the glovebox"?  no.  They were less reliable, but offered no maintenance in return.   I know multiple people that had unilite modules fail on weekend drivers.  Optical pickups suck. It they were so great they'd be the norm.  They're not; hall effect and magnetic is.  Why?  Reliability.  
Clap Well said!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Pictures, where's all AMC PrestoLite Distributor pictures ?... gotta have pictures Cool

Interestingly, someone cut the factory connector off the distributor shown in the photo on the left and replaced it with spade terminals. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic