TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pre-70 Performance suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 7:37am
I currently have 245/45-17's on all 4 corners. Rims are 17x8 with 4.5" backspace.
I want to try and go 275/40-17 out back, but that will require a 9.5" wide wheel that may be tricky, and I'd need to get new wheels.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2018 at 1:17pm
Cars looking good Wink
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2020 at 10:52pm
Dragging this up from way back. I've been SLOOOOWLY working on this for a couple years. Finally got to building and installing it.
New and Improved Lower control arms! Big smile
This is working out very nicely, I'm excited to drive the car with this new setup. The ONLY change I've made is the lower arm. I do want to increase the spring rate in the front of the car, but in the interest of science, I'm only going to change the lower control arms for now.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jun/03/2020 at 11:09pm
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2020 at 3:13pm
I like it, keep us updated...
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 7:20pm
I will be very interested to hear how these perform also! I want them just cause they look impressive.
But, what are the advantages we may see with them?
What is the hex piece welded to the side of the round tube? Also, could you get the shock mount and the gusset laser cut from one piece? To not have the additional weld?
Looks awesome so far. Please keep us updated.
Thanks...Ty
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 8:39am
It's a stronger,much more rigid replacement, and it has more adjustment available.
There are really 2 parts to this.
Strut Rod: I had replaced the strut rod bushing with the rod-end about 4 years ago, and despite the theory that this would cause some harshness, it did not. I also liked the ability to change the caster by simply spinning the strut rod. The stock strut rod has vary little adjustment.
Control arm: The lower control arm has the exact same pickup points as the stock part. However it has additional adjustment where the rod end attaches to the control arm. So you have more adjustment for camber and track width. It also uses a screw-in ball joint so I have the option to use the stock K719 ball joint, or the QA1 or Howe racing ball joints with a variety of lengths to change geometry.
The hex part is for the connection to the anti-sway bar.
With the suspension installed and no coil-over or sway bar in place, the suspension can be moved through the range of motion with two fingers. This allows the suspension to react much better than with tight bushing everywhere.
This is pretty much a prototype, I just used off the shelf tabs to start locating things, so all the brackets will be laser cut down the road.
Truth is I basically copied the suspension used on modern TA2 race cars.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jun/08/2020 at 9:00am
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 3:25pm
Well, just let us know when there available...not that there's anything wrong with mine. 

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2020 at 10:02am
While this is not completely Pre-70 front suspension related, I thought I'd share some upgrades I've made to try and improve my overall balance. On my last autocross the back of the car could use a little more traction. 

For a decade now I've had the 17x8 (4.5 inches of backspace) Torque Thrust wheels with 245/40-17. The look and fit were excellent. I had been thinking I could go to a larger rear tire out back, but how much more, and how do I avoid spending big money on custom wheels?
Long story short, after much measuring and tire size chart research I was able to fit a 17x9.5 (5.560 inches of backspace) Torque Thrust II. Tire is a 275/40-17.

In order to get the two different styles of wheels to match I painted the centers black. this also gives it a bit of a different look which is nice to do once in a while.

I'm also going to increase the spring rate up front to a 500 lb spring on the coil-over, and see what that does. I've been very happy with the on-road manners of the 400 lb spring, and it works great on the track as well, but I think a heaver spring will reduce body roll and keep the front tire more flat when cornering.... We will see.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/04/2020 at 10:15am
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2020 at 11:09am
Your car has a nice stance and those rear tires really fit well. What is your rear suspension setup? Is there clearance to the fender lip, or did you need to trim things?

Its amazing what happens when you have a car for a while and continue to improve it. Well done.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
4015spdJavAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2020 at 2:26pm
Love the stance, very nice work on the control arms.

What tire brand are you running and what is your front wheel and tire size?

Also, the panhard rod in the rear looks nicely packaged, can I ask where you got that from and what you think of it overall? Tried google searching Maien and Malen and struck out.
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic