TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Powerstar Spark Plugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powerstar Spark Plugs
    Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 7:48am
Has anyone ever tried these or seen them? Someone sent me a facebook message about them and they are diffrent that is for sure.

PowerStarSparkPlugs.com
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 7:53am
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 8:32am
Another gimmick plug
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 8:44am
Kinda thinking the same thing 

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 9:17am
I agree, it's a gimmik plug, carefully designed to seperate you from your money.
Gremlin Dreams
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 4:43pm
Stay away from cheap or sensationalized plugs. I bought a set of ACCEL plugs once. Installed them and they worked OK for awhile, then went crappy. When I tried to remove them, several of them broke in two pieces, the hex part breaking off, and the round part without the hex staying in the head with the porcelain and the center electrode. The part of the porcelain that the plug wire connects to came off with the broken metal part of the plug.

I was stymied as to how to remove them without getting chunks of porcelain in the cylinders. Then it dawned on me. I removed all the plugs and cranked the engine, the broken pieces of porcelain that had stayed in the broken plugs got ejected from compression. The metal part came out using a large easy out.

I don't trust a lot of plug makers these days. Champion included. Be careful, research the ones that are still quality made, stay the heck away from the ones that are not and are gimmick plugs.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Mar/27/2023 at 4:45pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 5:50pm
I had bad luck with regular Champions 30+ years ago,
just seemed too soft and wore quickly even back then.

Had better luck with Accel plugs for a short while, till one failed on me (it failed open).

Switched to NGK's and been satisfied since.

I've heard that the Champion Copper Truck plugs are good now, but I'm sticking with NGK's.

That star plug video is misleading,
a plug will jump the gap of least resistance, not all the gaps at once.

Personally I wouldn't run any kind of a gimmick plug if they were free.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 9:19pm
I was always brand loyal of what came from the factory till I built up the motor over stock after that I switched to motor craft plugs and have stuck with those with good results
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 10:36pm
I’ve never had anything run better on a champion than an ngk. 
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 10:09am
Biggest problem people fail to realize when buying plugs, is just because the plug fits your engine, does not mean it is gapped from the factory for you engine. Also, people do not know how to check the gap or re-gap specialty plugs (Iridium/ Platinum/ etc ...). Re-gapping the wrong way or not re-gapping at all can lead to all kinds of issues.

I use Champions in all my older cars and they all run great, trick is not to put anything but copper in iron heads and stock ignition IMO. I run either NGK or AC Delco Platinum's in my Jag.

NGK are good plugs, but not worth the price for copper, as they are nearly double Champions.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic