TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power tailgate window sticking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power tailgate window sticking
    Posted: May/09/2015 at 7:21pm
Hi All,

The tailgate power window on my 65 Wagon sticks when I try to put it up. A few years ago I cleaned out the channels and all the bits/gears(greased em) the best I could, but it still gets jammed... mostly around 1-2 inches from closing.

I was wondering... is there supposed to be something in the channel of the window support (not the upper bit where the windows sits when it's up, but the guide that the window support travels along inside the tailgate)? Currently the two L-shaped bent steel rods that go in the channel move metal-on-metal, which I can't imagine is how it was stock.

Besides that... I was thinking of taking the motor apart and seeing if I could replace the brushes in it... although I haven't touched the innards of an electric motor before. Maybe the motor is a little worn and simply doesn't have enough oomph to completely lift the window.

Thoughts/Suggestions? I hope this is the right place on the forum.

Thanks in advance!

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2015 at 7:38pm
Rebuilding the motor is probably not a bad plan. I'm not super-familiar with the setup but if there is also a transmission drive for the motor, that could possibly need a good cleaning as the old grease used to lube it has probably hardened and is now more of a hindrance than anything else.

Secondly, resurfacing the brushes and the commutator isn't a bad idea either. 50+ years of use does tend to wear them down - especially if the motor was used often. However it also wouldn't be a bad idea to have the windings of the motor tested for resistance. A TSM may have the info you need for that, and that will give you an idea if there are any broken windings.  Rebuilding the motor completely may be costly compared to replacing.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic