TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power force plus Damper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power force plus Damper
    Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 8:47pm
Anyone used the Powerforce Plus Damper sold by Professional Products on a 401?
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2021 at 9:21pm
it wouldn't even fit on the crank in my 360
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 9:20am
I use 'em.  Modest price for a new part that meets SFI requirement required at the track for a car that runs in the 10s.  There are two problems with these dampers.  One, as Tony says is the fit is incorrect.  My machinist had to massage it with a flapper wheel to get it to fit and so expect to work on it to get the fit right.  With a tight balancer you need to use an installation tool, not just pull it on with the crank bolt.  Second issue is the timing marks are off.  I read as much as 8 degrees, mine personally was about 5 degrees.  I get stuff balanced and I check TDC so I know where the timing is but it is a pain in the behind.  You can meet the minimum requirement for an SFI balancer for less than $300 bucks or you can buy an aluminum hub BHJ for $600 which is unquestionably a superior balancer.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 12:30pm
Don't know the SFI rules, but would it not be better to just broach a new keyway so the timing marks align? You have it at the machine shop anyhow and broaching a new keyway would be less then a hours work once the location is determined, and that should not be terribly hard either.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 4:59pm
Broaching is  $$$.  And it's generally not done anymore unless it's a mass production item.  Wire EDM is the standard now for one and two parts that need an internal keyway.    And it'd have to be off a lot to add a new keyway- not 8*.  It's a lot cheaper to just draw a new TDC line with a sharpie.  
68Rogue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 8:39pm
Anyone know where I can get a Romac external balance?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2021 at 7:25am
Just getting old Steve_P. We used to broach keyways all the time as the hubs came in as blanks. Many we had to bore to size first. I have my own broach set for up to 1" ID hub and the set was not that expensive in the 80's. I looked up the EDM and really wonder if there is any gain from this technology as setup and process time is so much more for any one offs?
Anyhow, a new timing mark can be put in with a square/scribe/file and your right as being the cheapest option. People still have/use these hand tools right?
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2021 at 7:59am
Go call on the Romac.  I think the supplies are all dried up right now.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2021 at 7:30am
68 Rogue, Last I knew Alfano had Rollmaster in stock.  I got an internal balance version just a few months ago.

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2021 at 9:00am
I have use a few of them too. Be careful which timing cover you use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic