TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power brake booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 6:49am
They should be the same for drum or disk. Disk brake cars sometimes used a bigger booster, at least on the big cars they did. you can use a drum power booster with disk brakes, just doesn't boost the brakes as much -- which I like. 70s power brakes were often rather sensitive due to the amount of boost.
Frank Swygert
lucient View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 9:17am
Would the bellcrank from a disc booster work ok with drum booster?
poulintr View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poulintr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 3:58pm
Speaking of SC/Ramblers, I'm strugging with the power brake booster now.  The master cylinder needs replaced, it's off the booster now but it's not clear to me how to get the booster out of the tight space where it's located behind the shock tower. It still works but is 50 years old and I'd like to at least paint it where it's rusted and maybe put on a new one.
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by poulintr poulintr wrote:

Speaking of SC/Ramblers, I'm strugging with the power brake booster now.  The master cylinder needs replaced, it's off the booster now but it's not clear to me how to get the booster out of the tight space where it's located behind the shock tower. It still works but is 50 years old and I'd like to at least paint it where it's rusted and maybe put on a new one.

Did you get the brake booster off. Mine is off my SC Rambler it worked in 1979 but has been in storage till 2018 when I started working to restore. Not sure if it works. Did you get it rebuilt and where. Did you check it with a vaccume to see if it heald air. I have not checked mine or done anything with it yet. 
Thanks Larry
SC Rambler
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 5:57am
Tight places are always tough! Best to take the bolts off the firewall rather than booster. Disconnect the pushrod at the pedal and pull it out with the booster and bracket.

Boosters are pretty generic. I'd get a new booster from MP Brakes, but tell them it's for a street rod. They don't have any AMC specific products and their lawyers tell them to give you grief if you ask for an AMC or Rambler part. But you can ask for a part for a street rod or custom with no issues! I'd get a booster and MC from them. You just need a 1" MC. Their 68-71 Ford Torino model (BM15312-1) will actually work, I think. Not sure if the bracket has as much "lift" as the Rambler, but looks like it might. The booster and MC will work, might need some slight bending of the brake lines.

Edited by farna - Jul/22/2021 at 6:04am
Frank Swygert
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 12:49pm
AMCers
Looks like I am going rebuild my power brake booster. 1969 SC Rambler
Just got Kent Moore J-9576-2 Vacuum power cylinder compressor tool.
Also got from Classic Industries MP500816 Bendix brake booster repair kit.
Any comments or suggestions.
May take couple of weeks to get at it.
Larry
SC Rambler
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 7:39pm
AMCers
Just got email from Carid.com They have a Cardone Reman 54-73526 Power brake booster. I got a kit to rebuild mine but maybe someone here needs one.
Larry
SC Rambler
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 10:19am
If you are replacing the booster in your SC/ with the Cardone 54-73526 you may have a problem.  I looked up the specs on the 54-73526 and it appears the MC stud spacing is 3 3/8" which would be for a drum MC.  The stock disc MC stud spacing on the SC/ is 3 1/4".  I have read that some have ground the ears out on the disc MC to fit so there are options but it isn't a direct swap.

Now keeping in mind that most of what you read on the internet is crap, please verify this is the case for yourself.  Hate to be accused of being a cockroach.

Edited by 6PakBee - Aug/04/2021 at 10:22am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 10:25am
I have my factory Booster that I plan on rebuilding will go out and measure and get back.
SC Rambler
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 10:46am
6pacbee
You are right my factory SC MC spacing is 3 1/4 inch.
SC Rambler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic