TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power brake booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue65classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power brake booster
    Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 8:48pm
Looking for a power brake booster for a 65 rambler classic, already did a disc brake change over,  now looking to get rid of the manual brakes. What cars will fit this and what all will I need from  a donor car.  Confused    Thanks from SC_popupControl();
360/727 in a 65
Just for FUN
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 9:06am
You need the non disc brake power brake booster from any of the smaller body cars in the 60s.  All the SC/Ramblers came with that unit because the bigger disk brake booster doesn't fit. 

Try calling Phoenix Brake and Clutch, they may have what you need.  Or if you can find one that is not working you can send it in and they will rebuild it good as new.  
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
seadoo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 10:49am
I might still have a booster off a 66 Ambassador i parted years ago, it would need rebuilt i'm sure.  Let me know and i'll take a look for it
Tim

Manassas Park, VA

65 Ambassador 990-H
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 9:37pm
Blue65--are you looking for a NEW unit or an original used unit? The master cylinder is the same for either, just need the extension rod for the booster.  If you want a used one, post it in wanted section--some of us have them.
Rebel 327 4-speed
blue65classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue65classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2010 at 5:55pm
Just wondering what is the difference in a brake booster from a factory disc car verses a non disc car_popupControl();
360/727 in a 65
Just for FUN
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2010 at 8:06pm
Main difference is in the type and/or size of the booster. A drum booster works fine, but doesn't have quite as much boost as a disc booster. Some later years used the same booster for both. Drum boosters are usually a 7.75" single diaphragm unit, disc usually used the same size dual diaphragm unit (small cars used the single for both, big cars used single/dual for drum/disc front brakes) or a larger 9.5" diameter single diaphragm unit (early to mid 70s big cars with drum fronts -- the old four piston Bendix disc brakes used the drum type booster).  Single boosters are only 2-3" thick, duals are 4-5" thick.

You can get a Ford Fairlane setup with 1" bore master cylinder from www.mpbrakes.com, but for liability purposes have to tell them it's for a 68-71 Fairlane (part #BM1510). I've talked to the owner, and he says even if it is a direct bolt-on (not quite!) he couldn't sell it without risk of liability unless the manufacturer says that's what it fits.

Now that setup is nearly identical to the original early to mid 60s Rambler setup. I don't know for sure if the pushrod to the pedal is the right length or if the bracket bolt holes line up directly. The master cylinder is correct though, might have to use adapters or replace the lines between the junction block or combo valve and the MC though. I've used a BM1503 9" 52-72 Galaxie booster setup on a Rambler Ambassador (67-68) before, but it also had the larger 3.1" piston "Big Bendix" calipers and needed the 1.125" bore master cylinder. The newer 2.6" piston calipers (77-83) only need a 1" bore master cylinder. The 1510 lo9oks like the brackets lift the master just a bit higher than the 1503, but it should easily clear the hood of a Classic/Ambo since it fits the similar size Fairlane.

Edited by farna - Mar/01/2010 at 8:06pm
Frank Swygert
CA-Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA-Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 3:08pm
Can anyone tell me where i can find a Power brake booster for a 67 rebel? or even send me in a good direction thanks
timoboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 4:23pm
Not to hijack, but can anyone tell if a 68 American factory disk booster will work on a 73 factory disk hornet?
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by timoboy timoboy wrote:

Not to hijack, but can anyone tell if a 68 American factory disk booster will work on a 73 factory disk hornet?
They are the same and are also the same as the non disc booster.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
lucient View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 11:09am
Looking for a bellcrank power booster for a drum brake car. Will a bellcrank from a disc brake booster fit on my 64 American?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic