TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power brake booster needed 69 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 7:54am
Originally posted by SANCAPJJ SANCAPJJ wrote:

Joe if your unit is readily available to photograph - please provide pics.  It will be at least a week before I can get to my shop.  Roger is correct regarding the stud spacing on the master cylinders.   I know I have at least one of the single diaphragm units in my parts - but will have to check to see if it’s power drum or disc.  It would be a core either way and require rebuilding.  

thanks yes i would buy it from it you.  as i understand the drum unit works well with the disc setup just not as much boost and im okay with that. fingers crossed.  and everyone thank you your great group of people and spending the time.
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 8:00am
Originally posted by 5spdwagon 5spdwagon wrote:

I put one off a concord on my 69

i did read that they could be used but didn't have any information or pictures to go off of 
would you have pictures you could share and how it all worked out for assembly.

Thanks 
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 8:44am

"Edited by ramblinrev - 6 minutes ago at 8:37am"

Did it bother you that much?   
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 8:51am
Originally posted by fts1966 fts1966 wrote:

The correct setup is very hard to find.   I have some brake boosters that I can check - but I will not be able to get to my shop until after the holiday.  I have two 69 SCRs to check them against.  I will check for the mounting bracket also if you would like me to. 
 yes please that would be great,  also as i said my fathering-law is a machinist.  if i had drawing or measure meant of bracket we could make one ore even a pencil outline of the bracket.  im okay with using aftermarket boosters as well.  again thank you

The OEM bracket is more complicated that just a couple stamped pieces.  Here's a photo of both the big car and small car brackets.  The lower one is the small car.

As to the booster, this is what it looks like.  As I mentioned, I'm sure I have a Cardone reman drum booster if anyone would want me to look but I don't have a spare bracket set.  For the anal crowd (of which I am a charter member) there are two versions of this small car booster.  The early version has the twist lock style check valve and the later version has the push in style check valve.  I know that '69 has the twist lock but that's all.

Edited by 6PakBee - Nov/24/2020 at 9:10am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

"Shotgunning works great for pheasants, not so great for electrical problems"

raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 10:25am
I found the correct power disc booster for my SC/Rambler at O'Reilly's. The correct bracket will be difficult to find.
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

I found the correct power disc booster for my SC/Rambler at O'Reilly's. The correct bracket will be difficult to find.

I found the listing on O'Reilly's website and called my local store.  Said they had to call somebody to determine availability and they'd call me back.  That was over eight hours ago and no call back.  Not holding out much hope.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

"Shotgunning works great for pheasants, not so great for electrical problems"

fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 8:01am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

The correct setup is very hard to find.   I have some brake boosters that I can check - but I will not be able to get to my shop until after the holiday.  I have two 69 SCRs to check them against.  I will check for the mounting bracket also if you would like me to. 
 yes please that would be great,  also as i said my fathering-law is a machinist.  if i had drawing or measure meant of bracket we could make one ore even a pencil outline of the bracket.  im okay with using aftermarket boosters as well.  again thank you

The OEM bracket is more complicated that just a couple stamped pieces.  Here's a photo of both the big car and small car brackets.  The lower one is the small car.

As to the booster, this is what it looks like.  As I mentioned, I'm sure I have a Cardone reman drum booster if anyone would want me to look but I don't have a spare bracket set.  For the anal crowd (of which I am a charter member) there are two versions of this small car booster.  The early version has the twist lock style check valve and the later version has the push in style check valve.  I know that '69 has the twist lock but that's all.

i see the bracket and now understand how they are engineered to work  if i gout get some measurements the would be a great help and see if we can't come up with something that will work

fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 8:03am

i now see and understand how the bracket works.  if i could just get some measurements im sure i could engineer or figure something out.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 8:32pm

Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

First off, I think that only a small car booster is going to work.  I'm no expert but I believe that it is physically impossible to use any other booster due to the tight shock tower clearance in an American engine bay.  Now to boosters, if you are retrofitting with disc brakes, that disc brake booster is the same one that the SC/R's use and is almost impossible to find.  I walked the face of the earth for years and ended up paying more than I should have for the one I have for my SC/R.  The drum brake power unit used to be available, in fact I think I have a Cardone reman somewhere.  You would also have to get the mounting bracket and the pedal pushrod.  The picture below (posted by another member of his Rogue) is what you are looking for.

This is all assuming you want OEM parts.  If you go third party aftermarket, then you'll have more options.  Just my two cents.

I think that same single diaphragm booster was used for both drum and disc brakes in the various Americans/Rogues/Ramblers from 64-69.

The booster is the same but the C-C distance for the MC studs is different drum to disc. The disc booster master cylinder mounting studs are approximately 3 1/4" from stud centerline to stud centerline while the drum boosters studs are approximately 3 3/8" apart.
That pic is my 68 Rogue circa 2003. It is a drum brake booster and I used it for KH disc brakes. I am pretty sure disc brakes had a different booster but I have used a drum booster on several disc cars with great results. I had to egg shape the master cylinder holes a little to make it fit. Of all the cars I have built, that car has brakes that are the most like a new car. A forum member sells the mount assembly for other model cars and it looks just like this one. I have asked several times what the difference is and never got an answer. I had a Jav/AMX booster and it is too long front to back and won’t fit. Some early 1960s Fords had similar looking boosters but I never tried one.

Edited by 6768rogues - Nov/25/2020 at 8:34pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

First off, I think that only a small car booster is going to work.  I'm no expert but I believe that it is physically impossible to use any other booster due to the tight shock tower clearance in an American engine bay.  Now to boosters, if you are retrofitting with disc brakes, that disc brake booster is the same one that the SC/R's use and is almost impossible to find.  I walked the face of the earth for years and ended up paying more than I should have for the one I have for my SC/R.  The drum brake power unit used to be available, in fact I think I have a Cardone reman somewhere.  You would also have to get the mounting bracket and the pedal pushrod.  The picture below (posted by another member of his Rogue) is what you are looking for.

This is all assuming you want OEM parts.  If you go third party aftermarket, then you'll have more options.  Just my two cents.

I think that same single diaphragm booster was used for both drum and disc brakes in the various Americans/Rogues/Ramblers from 64-69.

The booster is the same but the C-C distance for the MC studs is different drum to disc. The disc booster master cylinder mounting studs are approximately 3 1/4" from stud centerline to stud centerline while the drum boosters studs are approximately 3 3/8" apart.
That pic is my 68 Rogue circa 2003. It is a drum brake booster and I used it for KH disc brakes. I am pretty sure disc brakes had a different booster but I have used a drum booster on several disc cars with great results. I had to egg shape the master cylinder holes a little to make it fit. Of all the cars I have built, that car has brakes that are the most like a new car. A forum member sells the mount assembly for other model cars and it looks just like this one. I have asked several times what the difference is and never got an answer. I had a Jav/AMX booster and it is too long front to back and won’t fit. Some early 1960s Fords had similar looking boosters but I never tried one.
so do we have any ideal who the member is that sells the brackets?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic