TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power brake booster needed 69 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power brake booster needed 69 Rambler
    Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 7:14am
okay I have a 1969 rambler wagon 440 w/232-6  factory PS factory Weather eye AC  The car has 4 Wheel Drum Manual brakes.  I would like to add Power brakes with Disc up front.  I see several options available.  my issue is finding the Power Brake Booster for the car.  I need one for core.   I did see that i might be able to get one off the concords?  Any help and information would be greatly appreciated as to were I might get the booster and what cars are inter changeable.

Edited by ramblinrev - Nov/24/2020 at 8:37am
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 1:52pm
will one off a 68 69
javlin work.
mazenoex View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazenoex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 2:14pm
I have one in storage from a 66 Marlin/Classic/Ambassador in Ohio.
1965 Rambler Marlin
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Teamamc Teamamc wrote:

will one off a 68 69
javlin work.

I don't think so.  He needs the single diaphragm unit, plus the bracket and pushrod ("AB" I think), for the 64-69 small cars (Americans/Rogues, same as the SC/Rs).  It took me some time to find everything, and I had the core rebuilt rather than risk an exchange.  Switching to front disc without adding a booster will still be a huge difference.

Edited by Midnight Rambler - Nov/19/2020 at 3:47pm

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/WC M-37/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by fts1966 fts1966 wrote:

okay I have a 1969 rambler wagon 440 w/232-6  factory PS factory Weather eye AC 
Nice car!
Quote my issue is finding the Power Break Booster for the car.
You don't necessarily need a booster if you have a strong right leg, but the master cylinder bore size needs to match the calipers used. That is more important than the power assist.
1969 BBO Javelin SST 390 T10
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 7:38am
Will that booster fit in the space and bracket work?  i i had a templet for the bracket i could make one not an issue father in-law and uncle are all machinist and tool and dye makers.  

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 8:49am

First off, I think that only a small car booster is going to work.  I'm no expert but I believe that it is physically impossible to use any other booster due to the tight shock tower clearance in an American engine bay.  Now to boosters, if you are retrofitting with disc brakes, that disc brake booster is the same one that the SC/R's use and is almost impossible to find.  I walked the face of the earth for years and ended up paying more than I should have for the one I have for my SC/R.  The drum brake power unit used to be available, in fact I think I have a Cardone reman somewhere.  You would also have to get the mounting bracket and the pedal pushrod.  The picture below (posted by another member of his Rogue) is what you are looking for.

This is all assuming you want OEM parts.  If you go third party aftermarket, then you'll have more options.  Just my two cents.

Edited by 6PakBee - Nov/22/2020 at 8:54am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

"Shotgunning works great for pheasants, not so great for electrical problems"

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 9:00am
I used a Wilwood disc brake setup.  It works great but it is a manual disc.  With the proper bore size on the master cylinder (can't remember for sure but I think it is 7/8 or 11/16) it is easy peasy on the right leg.  Believe it or not it's actually pleasing to feel the beast stopping with the manual setup.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 220 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

First off, I think that only a small car booster is going to work.  I'm no expert but I believe that it is physically impossible to use any other booster due to the tight shock tower clearance in an American engine bay.  Now to boosters, if you are retrofitting with disc brakes, that disc brake booster is the same one that the SC/R's use and is almost impossible to find.  I walked the face of the earth for years and ended up paying more than I should have for the one I have for my SC/R.  The drum brake power unit used to be available, in fact I think I have a Cardone reman somewhere.  You would also have to get the mounting bracket and the pedal pushrod.  The picture below (posted by another member of his Rogue) is what you are looking for.

This is all assuming you want OEM parts.  If you go third party aftermarket, then you'll have more options.  Just my two cents.

I think that same single diaphragm booster was used for both drum and disc brakes in the various Americans/Rogues/Ramblers from 64-69.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/WC M-37/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 1:54pm
I'm pretty sure the booster/bracket are unique to the 64-69 American.   I have a booster off a later small body car, but the master is tilted up, and it won't clear the brace that goes to the trunnion towers.  I do have a Wilwood master cylinder on mine (disc/disc), I had to modify the pushrod slightly.

Bob
tufcj 
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic