TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Porting the 5532 iron intake manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porting the 5532 iron intake manifold
    Posted: Dec/31/2022 at 7:04pm

Modifying the stock AMC 3185532 cast iron manifold for increased air flow

By Bernie Potash

In this article I’ll explain the way I obtained the maximum air flow using a stock AMC manifold. Some walls of the manifold were broken through (marked in red) to obtain maximum flow within the confines of the manifold.

I flowed the manifold on a Super Flow bench. A special adaptor was used along with a four-hole spacer to duplicate a carburetor base. I tested drawing through the bench at 28 Hg simulating wide open throttle. Some might say I need a cylinder head to be more realistic but just like most cylinder heads are tested and modified alone with out a manifold attached that’s what I am testing, just the manifold. The manifold is bolted upside down on the bench, a square of heavy foam is stuffed into 7 holes and covered with duct tape. Each cylinder is tested the same way. The bench is adjusted to 28Hg of vacuum and the readings are taken.  The results for the stock manifold are below.

Manifold Stock

cfm

cfm

cfm

cfm

cfm

cfm

cfm

cfm

From the data above, the center cylinders do not flow as well as the outboard cylinders due to the nature of a dual plane manifold. My objective is to build a stout all AMC street motor including AMC intake and exhaust manifolds. The stock manifold was designed for a stock head that flows 220-225 cfm at .500-.600”. I plan on using a ported iron AMC head flowing 240-250 cfm at .600” lift max of my cam. In order to get that kind of flow from the stock manifold a ton of metal needs to be removed in the right areas. The size of the ported runners is 1.16” width and 2.20” length to match the heads I will be using. Be prepared spend a lot of time and remove over a 1 pound of metal! Pictures below of front and rear cylinders and each pair of ports.

Manifold Ported

cfm

16.4%gain

cfm

20% gain

cfm

15.3%gain

cfm

38% gain

cfm

17.1%gain

cfm

20% gain

cfm

24.2%gain

cfm

17.2% gain

Big gains especially the 4 inboard cylinders! This should work well with the iron heads I plan on using. The areas that I ported through the casting, I use a thin piece of metal formed to the area and glued on both sides with JB weld. Hopefully this will help anyone planning a similar project!

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 8:51am
Great job! I don't think I've seen anyone bother that much with a stock manifold before.
Frank Swygert
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 9:08am
Very interesting, especially the stock flow rate prior to porting. For a street application, the aluminum intakes are either too tall to fit under the stock hood or don’t use the OEM choke tubing. 

Yeah, you can do stuff like installing a dropbase air cleaner, remove the under hood insulation, or add a hood scoop, but many people, myself included, don’t want to do any of that. With regards to the choke, there are manual and electric versions available but there are drawbacks to each and again, many people don’t want to mess with them. 

If only the Edelbrock Performer or the R4B had a provision for a factory choke hot-air setup. The only one that does is the Torker, and it’s too tall and is a single-plane. 
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 9:17am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Very interesting, especially the stock flow rate prior to porting. For a street application, the aluminum intakes are either too tall to fit under the stock hood or don’t use the OEM choke tubing. 

Yeah, you can do stuff like installing a dropbase air cleaner, remove the under hood insulation, or add a hood scoop, but many people, myself included, don’t want to do any of that. With regards to the choke, there are manual and electric versions available but there are drawbacks to each and again, many people don’t want to mess with them. 

If only the Edelbrock Performer or the R4B had a provision for a factory choke hot-air setup. The only one that does is the Torker, and it’s too tall and is a single-plane. 
The Offenhauser Equaflow 360 does too.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 11:26am
Nice work.
It would be nice to have all of the time and resources to play around with this kinda stuff.
I would be curious to know the HP increase with the porting and better yeat et difference.
My other thought are, I wonder how efficient the engine would be if a guy was to max out #4 cylinder and than match the rest to that runner.  Is the fact that one runner outflows another by 41 cfm makes a measurable difference in total horsepower.. Or is it 8 individual systems and one cylinder puts out more power than another and they all add up to the total. Tons of variables to play with. And then you have the exhaust manifolds. Are they the limiting factor. Where is the point of no gain if the power is choked down by the exhaust manifolds.   Does one side flow better than the other..  Etc. etc.
I am not asking anyone any questions, I am just thinking out loud which usually gets me in trouble. LOL!   
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Nice work.
It would be nice to have all of the time and resources to play around with this kinda stuff.
I would be curious to know the HP increase with the porting and better yeat et difference.
My other thought are, I wonder how efficient the engine would be if a guy was to max out #4 cylinder and than match the rest to that runner.  Is the fact that one runner outflows another by 41 cfm makes a measurable difference in total horsepower.. Or is it 8 individual systems and one cylinder puts out more power than another and they all add up to the total. Tons of variables to play with. And then you have the exhaust manifolds. Are they the limiting factor. Where is the point of no gain if the power is choked down by the exhaust manifolds.   Does one side flow better than the other..  Etc. etc.
I am not asking anyone any questions, I am just thinking out loud which usually gets me in trouble. LOL!   
I don't know how true it is, but I have always heard that you can't design an intake on a flow bench.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

The Offenhauser Equaflow 360 does too.

Yes, you are correct. However, I don’t know much about them and I don’t know if they have a ‘66-‘69 AMC V8 version, which is another variable I forgot to mention. I don’t know how they stack up to an Edelbrock performance-wise and whether or not they’re worth the bother of installing one and/or the $$$. So I kinda gave up at least for the time being and installed a factory ‘69 390 cast iron intake on my 343. 

So the idea of porting the stock cast iron manifold and getting the most out of a factory part is intriguing to me. I agree with another poster, I think a more conservative approach would be to find the mid-high range of stock flow, which appears to be around 220 CFM, and then port the runners with flow lower than that to get closer to that number. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jan/01/2023 at 1:51pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 1:53pm
"I don't know how true it is, but I have always heard that you can't design an intake on a flow bench.'

Have to wonder about that also. You would think firing order would factor into intake runner volume, velocity and cylinder charge. 5 will typically try to rob 7 and is worse with with an torquer intake. A smaller cross section to 5 may balance charge to 7 ???
As Rick states, just thinking out loud.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

"I don't know how true it is, but I have always heard that you can't design an intake on a flow bench.'

Have to wonder about that also. You would think firing order would factor into intake runner volume, velocity and cylinder charge. 5 will typically try to rob 7 and is worse with with an torquer intake. A smaller cross section to 5 may balance charge to 7 ???
As Rick states, just thinking out loud.
The Offy Equaflow should be even worse with 5 robbing 7 because there is a very short wall dividing those 2 cylinders, and a full-length divider separating one side of the engine from the other.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Jan/01/2023 at 2:27pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 4:31pm
You only use max flow a WOT. Below that it doesn't matter so much, just need to get enough air in for the speed you're running. So for a street engine it really doesn't help to max things out, and equal flow doesn't matter so much as long as each runner flows enough to support the speed it's running. For a drag race engine it's a totally different story -- more flow = more power. I know, just stating the obvious...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic