TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Poor connection instrument plug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor connection instrument plug
    Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 4:19pm
Hello,

I am having issues with my dash lights because of a poor connection between the plug and the instrument circuit board. The dash lights are out then I wiggle the connector and they are back and very bright. Tap on the dash hard and they go out again. Wiggle the connector they are back.

What is the best way too improve the connection between the plug and the pins on the circuit board? 

Thanks!

Dono
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 5:44pm
What are you working on?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 6:07pm
Best guess from the information provided is a loose pin on the cluster circuit board.

The fix for that is to remove the cluster and try to re-crimp the pin to the board so it doesn't wiggle, then solder it to get a good electrical connection. If one is loose, count on doing this to all the pins for the cluster connector.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 7:04pm
The car is a 1968 AMX.

The circuit board is in very good condition (got from Pat Whiteside). The connector is really showing its age. I'll work on pressing out the sockets and working with them for a better fit on the pins. The plug is so loose it is effortless to unplug it. I'm sure this will be a trial and error operation. I was hoping someone had a trick for tightening them up.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 7:56pm
It is rare for looseness, but the connector that fits the pins, has barrel type fittings, which can spread open some when pushed time to time from removal.

There is a wee tab on the the barrel fitting in the connector. Haven't done the older round connector to know a trick for removal.

If in a pinch, rolling a wee bit of copper foil around once, on the loose fitting pin, to take up the looseness. It may work for you and is un-intrusive to the connector.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 1:45pm
Rechecked pins are loose on the circuit board. I guess I know what I need to do...
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 3:54pm
If you can't stabilize the pins, there is at least one member who has replaced them with a flying connector. i.e. remove the pins and solder in leads with crimp terminals, Chop the factory connector on the harness and replace with mating terminals. It's not concours correct, but it does relieve the stress in the circuit board connection.

Molex is a good source for shells and terminals and can be bought through Digikey or Mouser.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 7:11pm
3 pins were loose, and carefully soldered them to the board. Wiggle tested ensuring good connection. Needed to reflow solder as it was tough to get a good bond. Working much better, but not perfect. Barrel connectors likely need to be tightened. Pins are .090". I found wire that is .080". I will crimp the barrels to .080" for a tight fit. Hopefully that gets it 100%. Thanks for the advise!
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2021 at 10:24am
Buy a new repop circuit board from the outfit in Canada. They are very nice.
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2021 at 10:36am
I used SS machine screws on my broken pins. Just make sure they make contact with the trace on the PC  board. No problems. Can't remember the size 4-32? run the bolt through the hole and put a nut on the other side for the cable connection socket to keep it secure....

SC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic