TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Plastic restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic restoration
    Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 12:53am
Has anyone figured out how to restore the plastic-chrome-paint stuff around the gauges, arm rests, grilles, etc. of the 70s cars? It's always used on plastic, and it looks like chrome plating, but wears off like crazy.

I've had reasonable luck with chrome spray paint topped by a clear coat, but was wondering what else people are doing.

I have a blue interior and some of the plastic has faded to a horrendous olive drab. The plastic is in great shape, just its faded horribly. I'm thinking some kind of spray-on plastic dye would fix this right up, but has anyone found the proper color from a company making plastic dye?

'66 Marlin: 327/T10/3.54
'72 Wagoneer: 360/TH400/3.31
'73 Ambassador Brougham: 360/TF727/3.15
'77 Hornet: 232/TF904/2.73
'82 Concord D/L: 258/TF998/2.35
'84 Eagle Limited: 258/TF998/2.35
68 aussie javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 aussie javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 4:26am
Here in Australia there is a company that rechromes plastic dash parts (mainly for xt xy gt falcons) so someone in the USA would do as well I'd recon. Failing that there is a high quality chrome 2 pack paint that looks pretty much like chrome, motorbikes and race car helmets get the treatment down here.

Cheers Mark
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 8:21am
SEM products are dedicated to restoration of automotive (and other) applications and have a full line of products including cleaning and priming materials. They are referred to as a plastic dye but are in reality a Lacquer based material that can be purchased in OEM interior colors as identified on Paint charts for your cars. They can be purchased in bulk quantities or packaged in rattle cans. They also make splatter paint which if used some what correctly try to emulate the texture used to mimic leather and other products a lot of plastic interior parts were cast in. SEM products can be purchased at Automotive Paint stores and mixed there too. 
As to the imitation Chrome trim, that service is supplied pretty much world wide with some form of paint as an alternative with mixed results. 
The effectivity of the SEM plastic dye end result is directly related to the care taken to prep the material prior to use. I did a massive color change of Burgundy parts for my Spirit 15 years ago that still shows no indication of wear and tear. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 8:36am
I used a service last century that did fantastic work on plastic bezels. The process is something along the lines of spraying liquid aluminum on the plastic in a chamber then it is polished and clear coated. That company went out of business. Their name was C V Vacuum Platers. Their site now takes you to instrument-specialties.com who offers that same service as well as gauge cluster refurbishing. Check out their site.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 9:04am
Chrometech will replate your bezel but it is not cheap.  About $200 plus shipping for a Hornet bezel.  I had one done about six months ago and another forum member here with a show car caliber Gremlin had one done by the same vendor.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 11:21am
CV Platers were about 15 minutes from my house and did all the plastic plating for my car. Unfortunately they no longer are in business :(
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 11:31am
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

CV Platers were about 15 minutes from my house and did all the plastic plating for my car. Unfortunately they no longer are in business :(
You should have paid them.
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 3:17pm
I've had really good results with chrome paint, specifically 'KemKhrome' http://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com/KemKhrome-Chrome-Car-Paint-Basecoat-Quarts-KemKhrome-Chrome-Basecoats.htm

There's a lot of fiddly masking involved, but that's now new. :)
Faster is Better
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2014 at 8:43am
  I have a set of 70' Javelin/AMX dash bezels and dome light lenses going to chrome tech this week, price quoted is $50 each for the speedo/tach bezels, $40 for the clock bezel and $50 for each dome light lens for a total of $240 not including shipping.
Tony
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

You should have paid them.

I call it terms, 1/2 now and 1/2 in small claims court...
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic