TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pinion Gear for Powermaster 9515 Starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinion Gear for Powermaster 9515 Starter
    Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 5:52pm
Has anybody found a source or alternative for the pinion gear on the Powermaster 9515 starter:

I have ordered a couple of replacements from Jegs, which were apparently going to drop ship from the supplier, but it turns out they are on backorder.

This is the #605 pinion gear, which isn't even listed on the Powermaster parts section and Summit is showing not available.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 6:20pm
This comes up for a Powermaster 9 tooth. Without a part number, hard to tell if it's correct:

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 6:29pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2021 at 4:14am
Just a bit of an update, I got the the gear from CAE performance above and it looks good but the boss on the back is too long to work with the Powermaster AMC starter:

The plan is to cut it back so that it just covers the compressed length of the pinion gear spring, that will allow it to fit and I think it will be much stronger than the original gear.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2021 at 6:46am
This is the modified gear with about half of the boss machined off the back:

And then installed on the starter:

Little bit of extra messing around, but I'm hoping that this will be stronger and more durable than the original Powermaster gear.

I did end up buying a second starter since I suspected there might be a delay with getting the pinion gear, so the new starter had gone onto my Gremlin and this one will end up on my Javelin as the factory starter is struggling a bit when it gets cooked by the headers.

I also bought a second gear, so that I will have a spare if the gear on the new starter decides to split down the middle. 

Finally with the Gremlin, it has the Sniper EFI on it and that lets me set the cranking advance independently, so I have knocked that back from 15 deg BTDC to 10 deg, hopefully that might reduce the potential for it to kick back. I did try 5 deg, but it seemed to crank a little longer, might just be my imagination.

Edited by WesternRed - Feb/08/2021 at 6:48am
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2021 at 7:05am
I had a powermaster years ago and wasnt that happy with its clocking mechanism. I went with the RobbMC unit and that rotates all the way up against the pan if needed and very quickly without removing the starter. No more heat soak issues. All I use now and the powermaster is still on the shelf
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2021 at 7:12am
I had to mess a little with it as the transmission to engine mounting bolt was a touch too long and sticking out of the block behind the starter preventing it from clocking all the way around. Once I trimmed that, it seems to have plenty of room:

I mostly suck with the Powermaster as it gives me two the same that I can swap parts between if it becomes necessary.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2021 at 9:09am
A little header wrap near the starter would give the starting motor longer life and more starting torque on a hot engine.
Even a fabricated heat shield works well, just make sure your not going to make any electrical contact.
We used to use apple juice cans back in the 70's when we had no money!
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2021 at 11:36am
Good work on the gear. The early powermaster used a "shoulder'd" gear like you found. The later gear is garbage as you and many others have found.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
ChrisQ View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 8:50pm
My starter gear stripped the teeth off that. It had been functioning perfect for a couple years. My question is how do I get that gear off the splined shaft?  It looks very similar to the one on the starter to my revtech Harley type engine. If it's the same we may have a source 

ChrisQ 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic