TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PerTronix iiginition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 5:33am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The only real issue with going back to points is being able to get good points now. 
Coils and condensers as well. There's not enough demand for this stuff so it's all being made overseas by the lowest bidder with zero quality control. I was helping a guy at a car show who's BMW drove in but wouldn't start a couple hours later. His points were good but no spark. He was saying that replacement condensers are all junk and don't last very long. He had went thru several of them before finding an original. He was looking at upgrading to electronic of some sort. Turned out his coil was going bad. After we got it cooled down, it started right up. It was a newer replacement coil that he had put on a few years ago. He was going home and putting the original back on. The replacement stuff is as bad the aftermarket stuff - all junk! Angry

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 6:26am
Also could be a dodgy supply wire, run a wire straight from the battery to the positive terminal on the coil and try that. I has a situation where I was getting +12 volts at the coil on a multimeter, but the wire was bad and wouldn't flow any current so no spark.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 6:29am
The coil and the unit must be compatible  I made that mistake once and my car would run for 2 seconds then die after coming out of storage.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 7:33am
Depends on which of the 3 versions of pertronics you're working with and which coil you're attempting to run.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 10:33am
Both your 'Vette and Javelin use a Delco distributor, so they should also use the same Pertronix unit. The coil from the "Vette should work on the Javelin with one caveat: There are three models of Pertronx.
  • Pertronix I can work with a full 12V supply, or reduced through the resistance wire in the Javelin ignition wire.
  • Pertronix II can work with the reduced voltage, but "prefers" full 12V.
  • Pertronix III must have the full 12V.

Do you have the same model of Pertronix in both cars? If so, the coil will interchange and you have shown the coil in the Javelin is not the issue.

Do you have the correct voltage supply for your model of Pertronix in the Javelin?

If the answer is yes to these two questions then your issue is likely a poor ground for the Pertronix, or the unit is dead.

Pull the coil high voltage wire so the car won't start. Put a voltmeter on the coil - terminal and crank the engine with the ignition on. You should see the the terminal go to 0V as the Pertronix activates for each cylinder.
  • If you see more than about 1/2V when the unit activates, you have a grounding issue.
  • If the voltage does not change at all, there is likely a fault in the Pertronix unit itself, or there is no ground connection to it at all.
Do you have a good solid connection from engine to chassis in the Javelin?
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The only real issue with going back to points is being able to get good points now. Of course they will have to be regularly adjusted and changed also... but you know that.

It's best to have the + wire for the Pertronix on a switched 12V lead, NOT the coil. 70s models have a resistance wire that drops voltage as it warms up. That usually leads to running problems, not starting though. Still, it won't hurt to try it. You can just run the + lead to the + side of the battery for testing.

The resistance wire was my thought as well.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic