TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PerTronix iiginition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd6545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PerTronix iiginition
    Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 4:04pm
my problem a number of years ago I put PerTronix into my 360 Javelin. I am now at a point where I  want to wake the engine up again, I have been restoring it for the last 10 + years on and off.  She turns over fine, the dual action fuel pump is pumping gas, Put I have no spark at the plugs, before the install of the Pertronix she ran fine.  the two PerTronix wires are running to the + and - poles on the coil.  Appreciate any thoughts on where the problem might be.  thanks   Tony
apd6545
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 5:06pm
Which module did you install? I have been installing these for 20+ years with not a single problem or failure, so I can attest to their reliability. There are a couple things of importance with them though, specifically which type of coil you are using. I would go through the installation instructions and use the "popular questions" section and the "voltage test" section to diagnose the issue.

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2022 at 5:12pm
Did the car ever run with the Pertronix installed?
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Rebel 327X View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 1:02pm
What primary voltage do you have...at coil while cranking?
apd6545 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd6545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 9:28am
It appears that the coil is dead. It does not test dead but when hooked up to 12 volts you can not get it to spark.  The coil is a PerTronic bought at the same time as the ignition.  I have a PerTronic installed in my 70 vet and it has worked perfectly. I am leaning toward going back to points.  thanks for everyones advice.

Tony
apd6545
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 10:18am
HaHve your old coil? Swap long enough to test.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 10:33am
Ignition coils can go bad in points applications as well. 
Rebel 327X View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 10:44am
If you are testing...make sure to use proper Ohm rated coil for the Pertronix unit.  Original coil likely not correct. 
apd6545 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd6545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 3:37pm
voltage drops down under 10.  Coil is not bad, took one out of my vet and put it in same problem no spark.  Put it back in the vet and the vet started right up.  Only 2 thinks I can thing off right now is either  one of the tack wires is drawing down voltage, or I have the alternator orange wire on the wrong connection.   
apd6545
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 8:22pm
The only real issue with going back to points is being able to get good points now. Of course they will have to be regularly adjusted and changed also... but you know that.

It's best to have the + wire for the Pertronix on a switched 12V lead, NOT the coil. 70s models have a resistance wire that drops voltage as it warms up. That usually leads to running problems, not starting though. Still, it won't hurt to try it. You can just run the + lead to the + side of the battery for testing.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic