TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Parts washer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts washer
    Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 5:11pm
Looking to get a nice quality parts washer for the shop.  I had an el cheapo years ago, it leaked and the pump burned out.  Hoping to get something good if the budget allows.  Thanks, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 8:48pm
Dunno what to recommend, but the pumps in the HF units will not last long if you use kerosene.  I know you can buy a better solvent resistant pump for them, but that will cost you as much as the original unit.   I've given up and just use a bucket/tub and brush with kerosene for the few times a year I need it.  And then I put the kerosene back in gallon jugs.  I decided it wasn't worth the space and having a flammable liquid exposed in my garage for how little I use it.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

Looking to get a nice quality parts washer for the shop.  I had an el cheapo years ago, it leaked and the pump burned out.  Hoping to get something good if the budget allows.  Thanks, Andy

keep an eye out on your local craigslist, greensheet, thrifty nickel or local newspaper, a lot of good equipment is sold when a small shop goes out of business.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 10:32pm
I've had a HF parts washer for many years, well, at least 10, and have had no problems.
I use the "environmental friendly" cleaning solution sold at parts stores in the 5 gallon can with good results.
P.S. Now that I've bragged about it I better check that its not leaking.
Bill O.
70 AMX
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 8:46am
From what I've seen there are the Harbor Freight varieties that everyone sells that won't tolerate mineral spirits.  Or the commercial ones that you have to take out a second mortgage to buy.  Nothing in between.  I ended up going mstrcrftr's route and bought a used Kleer-Flo washer.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 3:11pm
If you want to use a HF style unit and use Simple Green or similar, sure.  But nothing works as well as kerosene/mineral spirits for cleaning grease and grime.  Sorry, but it doesn't.  And I'm not mentioning gasoline for obvious reasons.  So you can get a HF unit and use "friendly" degreasers, like what you use in the kitchen, or an expensive unit that uses real solvent and that actually works to remove grease and oil.  AFAIK, there's no in between like 6PakBee said
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 5:02pm
I'm on my second HF parts washer.   I bought the first nearly 20 years ago.  It did rust through last year, probably because I got water in the solvent, and water sinks to the bottom where you can't see it.   Got a new one back in November, filled it with fresh Zep parts washer solvent (not cheap, around $200 for 10 gallons).   Hope to get another 20 years out of this one.   Never had problems with the pump, actually kept the old one for a spare.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 5:23pm
I have a 15 year old HF parts washer. It is filled with CROWN PSC 1000 solvent from Tractor supply. I don't use it everyday and keep it unplugged until needed. I guess I got a good one.
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2022 at 10:56am
Take a look...

I worked for this company years ago designing custom machines for large companies, but their smaller turntable type washers were very popular in auto shops.

rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2022 at 1:22pm
Anyone ever plumb in an old dishwasher, you know the old ones with the high pressure? At one time I sold industrial parts washers, if I remember correctly we used a fairly caustic detergent, man did those things work well! 

Edited by rsrguy3 - Jan/11/2022 at 1:26pm
javguy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic