TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Part Identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnthaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part Identification
    Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 3:30pm
Does anyone know what the name of this part is, what it does, and more importantly, where I can get one, preferably new? It is in a 1974 AMC Gremlin with a 304 cu. in. V8. It is mounted as shown, on the passenger wheel well just behind the battery, and above the other two electrical units.

Edited by frnthaf - Dec/07/2020 at 3:54pm
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 3:36pm
No Picture?
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 3:45pm
I believe that is a seat belt interlock bypass starter switch. When your seat belt interlock would fail, & keep the car from starting, you could go under the hood, press the red button, & crank the engine over.

I wasn't able to find a part # in the parts book. I'd start by calling Jeff at Kennedy American & see what he has.

Edited by scott - Dec/07/2020 at 4:00pm
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I believe that is a seat belt interlock bypass starter switch. When your seat belt interlock would fail, & keep the car from starting, you could go under the hood, press the red button, & crank the engine over.

I wasn't able to find a part # in the parts book. I'd start by calling Jeff at Kennedy American & see what he has.

I agree, that appears to be the seat belt interlock relay.  Almost everyone that I know with a 1974 anything (AMC wasn't the only OEM saddled with this piece of garbage) has bypassed it so it isn't functional.  Those wanting to maintain an original appearance take the 'can' off, jumper it internally, and put the can back on.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 4:51pm
Yes, the Seat Belt Interlock Relay.....1974 Only...AMC did make a bypass kit that jumpered the relay.   They were a real PIA, especially when the battery went dead and caused a lot of confusion on what was wrong.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 8:15pm
Actually, it was used in very late '73, all of '74, and early '75, before the Federal mandate was lifted. Nobody liked it!
I still have the system in my '74, though the seat sensors are unplugged.
Part # is group 3.787 Part #322 3099

Loads of info in the '74 Technical Service Manual about these.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
frnthaf View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnthaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 9:54pm
Thanks everyone for your input. Now that I know what it is and what it does, the challenge will be to find one (or do the bypass "dummy look" approach). Thanks again.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2020 at 10:27pm
It is the seat belt interlock relay. And in my 1974 Gremlin it failed. I made a jumper wire for it. Now it starts like it should.  It was the problem.  My car had a new reman starter, and new starter solenoid.  (Before I got the car)...it still wouldnt start at times.   Finally, it wouldnt start.....so I started looking...and got a test light.  And s started looking.  Figured it out and made a jumper wire.. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2020 at 7:48am
frnthaf View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnthaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2020 at 7:54am
Thanks, but how do I access that website to purchase it? When I click on the location there is no way to go further. Also, the post is over 2 years old, but I still want to pursue it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic