TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pacer with 258 won't idle - Newbie needs advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer with 258 won't idle - Newbie needs advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 11:57am
I vote try to adjust the idle mixture first. My guess is that the idle jets in the carburetor are clogged and it needs to be rebuilt but sometimes just the act of adjustment is enough to loosen up the gunk and make it work again.

Words of warning. Don't tighten the idle adjust screw all the way in. You must be very gentle or you can damage the idle adjust screw. 

Also count the turns as you adjust it so you can put it back to how it was. I would start by loosening it (richer). 

With cars always start with the simplest easiest cheapest stuff first and then if that doesn't work try other things. 
graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 7:42pm
Vacuum leaks. Had a cheby and an AMC that the intake manifold loosend up, grab 9/16 wrench and see if any bolts are loose, end ones were the worst, chev would do it once a month. Friend had a Ford that the carb hold-down nuts loosend up too. May not be the problem but dont cost a thing to check. good luck on your mission!

Perk
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
Javelin Dan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 9:03pm
Bought a '73 Sportabout Wagon with a 258 from some in-laws back in the '80s. They were apologizing because of the way it ran and almost wouldn't sell it to me for the same reason. I started tinkering, and discovered the two carburator bolts were loose. Tightened them up and it ran great! But over time, just enough time to forget how I fixed it, these bolts would vibrate loose and I'd have to scratch my head till I remembered to check them. Murphy's Law reigning supreme, this is probably not your problem. But check anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic