TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer - Constant Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacer - Constant Voltage Regulator
    Posted: Mar/15/2022 at 9:25am
Does anyone know where I can purchase a new CVR constant voltage regulator for a 76 Pacer?  
Galvin & Kennedy don't show one for a Pacer.

More info.... Shop manual says if ground is lost to CVR, fuel gauge will be damaged. My fuel gauge was working ok until I pulled out the dash cluster to fix a bad connection to my dashboard turn signal indicator bulb. I kept the speedometer cable attached and worked in a very tight space. I kept disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable and turning on the ignition to test. Could that action have cost me the fuel gauge? Would ground to the CVR be lost in doing that?  

Also, some reading of past posts on this forum say CVRs do fail after about 30yrs. 

My little dash bulbs for temp and oil are out as well, but one thing at a time. (not the bulbs)
Jim 

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2022 at 12:48pm
Does anyone know where I can purchase a new CVR constant voltage regulator for a 76 Pacer?  
Galvin & Kennedy don't show one for a Pacer.

* Ok, I checked my AMC parts books and I've dealt with this before plus I had a 75 Pacer , back in the day. The parts books list two number under group 3.662-1 part number 320-3982 (pacer & 73/74 Javelin) 320-5695 if I've read my note correctly. BUT they are a part that AMC used almost for ever and pretty much as close to a universal part as you get. You have three choices .

1) get an NOS one that been rusting on the shelf for 30 or 40 year plus year. That may or may not work.
2) get a new one made in China ; those read low. Especially on the gas gauge.

3) Get a new US made solid state made one by RT engineering . https://www.rt-eng.com/

It seems Mopars used the same type of instrument clusters as AMC did and have the same type of Regulator - Instrument Cluster Voltage or ICVR . The RT engineering ones are a little more costly depending which one your price compare to . Maybe $20 different, but they work and the old and or made in china ones not so much. I bought an RT  Engineering ICVR and put it in my 1974 Matador coupe and it works great. The Mopar guys swear by them. You pay your money , you make your choice .  LRD

More info.... Shop manual says if ground is lost to CVR, fuel gauge will be damaged. My fuel gauge was working ok until I pulled out the dash cluster to fix a bad connection to my dashboard turn signal indicator bulb. I kept the speedometer cable attached and worked in a very tight space. I kept disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable and turning on the ignition to test. Could that action have cost me the fuel gauge? Would ground to the CVR be lost in doing that? 

* That whole another issue. You might have to have the fuel gauge rebuilt. It can be done. LRD

Also, some reading of past posts on this forum say CVRs do fail after about 30yrs.

* They also corrode after sitting on the shelf unused for 30 or 40 years.LRD

My little dash bulbs for temp and oil are out as well, but one thing at a time. (not the bulbs)
Jim

Bulbs , yes while you in there just replace all the bulbs. You can use the modern bulbs BUT they run $10 a bulb. I'd just go with the regular old style bulbs myself, but I'm cost consonance. LRDaum

LRDaum
Jim76 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2022 at 3:34pm
LRDaum Thanks for the great reply.  I'm happy to go with RT Engineering, but called up the page you sent and not sure which to purchase? IVR3 or IVR4 Limiters. Not even sure if "limiters" is another name for the constant voltage regulator I need?  I tried going through google too, but don't understand their store or sellers page at all.  A bit more guidance to get me to the part I need PLEASE.  Thanks again, Jim
Jim Stulga
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2022 at 12:08am
It is the IVR4 . They just list it as American Motors :  https://www.rt-eng.com/index.php/IVR4_Limiter_List.html . So, that page. On the AMC you just plug it in.  You might want to check with them first on the phone to be sure. And no they do not list Pacer but the 73-78 AMC parts book list it as being the same as 73/74 Javelin. The parts book list two number but per say there is no difference I know of. The originals are mechanical. The RT - Engineering ones are solid state electrics. There mopar guy  here that goes some like rebel-machine some thing and he and an article in one of the mopar magazines put me on to this. LRDaum
PS. There should be a section on the forum with a discussion on the instrument cluster voltage regulators. LRD 
LRDaum
Jim76 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2022 at 9:39am
Thanks again LRDaum.  I'm going to order. Couldn't find a phone number to call RT, but ordering the part looks easy.  Before I tear apart my dashboard, wanted to have a CVR and nos fuel gauge nearby. This job is beyond my comfort zone but no choice. Can't imagine finding anyone to work on a problem like this in a 70s car.  Jim
Jim Stulga
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2022 at 11:29am
The gauge was working, you took the dash out, put it back in, and the gauge no longer worked. I would be looking for missing/bad connections before throwing parts at it.

I don't know Pacers, but if the gauge is the same as the earlier type (as mramc said - he's usually right about things like that), it is pretty robust. (as is the IVR) It's unlikely you broke them.

BTW, the Constant Voltage Regulator (CVR) or Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) as they're commonly called, are actually current limiters. You will see any of these three terms used for the same item.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2022 at 12:18pm
Just a FYI  http://www.ramblerlore.com/AMC/dashreg/index.html
solid state limiter.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Jim76 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2022 at 2:41pm
Jim here again.  Posting this so not to mislead someone in the future looking for a Pacer CVR and looking for guidance. Gas gauge is working now and it was the Constant Voltage Regulator that went out BUT the IVR4 is NOT the correct one for my 76 Pacer.  I ended up sending the dash assembly to a speedometer repair shop I'd used before. I included a NOS gas gauge and the IVR4 CVR.  They didn't need the new gauge and said the CVR is really for some Chrysler and not my car. They found a correct replacement CVR and performed other tasks to speedometer and numbers touch-up. 
Jim Stulga
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic