TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Overheating. Scratching My Head.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 8:32pm
Ugh yeah I'm really starting to believe in that now. But I think the issue was bound to show up sooner or later so it's fine. 

Originally posted by Someassemblyrqd Someassemblyrqd wrote:

If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it!
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 10:29pm
Brainstorming. Does it have a high stall converter or other tranny issue that would introduce a lot of heat to the radiator? I had a Chevy that did that. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 12:38am
try turning the top hose around yes they fit both way if installed wrong it creates a air pocket
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 9:04am
I think there is something wrong with the water pump impeller.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

After reading all of the other post I too am thinking water pump. It's the only thing left that makes any sense and since the car get warm just sitting it further shows lack of flow.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

After reading all of the other post I too am thinking water pump. It's the only thing left that makes any sense and since the car get warm just sitting it further shows lack of flow.

Tom

In echoing some of what others have recently said...

I've seen a reverse rotation water pump get mixed up and put in a wrong box or assembled with the wrong impeller...etc... it happens. 

It sounds like you are restoring it back to a more original or period correct state... which I understand... but if you still have the other water pump... I'd at least try swapping back to that one temporarily to see if the condition persists. Chances are if it wasn't happening before the water pump swap.. the new one could very well be the problem.  
Zyzx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 3:34pm
Transmission is fine. Not sure what stall converter is in there but probably 2500 or less. The upper radiator hose seems to be above the radiator and as such can trap air. I have used an easy fill and the airlift tool so I'm not convinced that it's the problem but worth looking into. It's on correctly but just not a great fitting hose.

Airlift vacuum fill tool https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref=asc_df_B0002SRH5G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312174136943&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2385829376313603362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061285&hvtargid=pla-435688359104&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=63790029762&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312174136943&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2385829376313603362&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061285&hvtargid=pla-435688359104

As far as the water pump goes, I am reluctant to change it for the following reason. I bought the car with the Edelbrock pump already installed and the 160 thermostat also installed. The Edelbrock waterpump box was in the trunk and the original water pump was in it. That original water pump appears to have been working fine when pulled from the engine(bearing spins good, impeller is in excellent shape and the weep hole is not rusted) So my theory is that the PO thought that installing a high volume water pump would solve an overheating issue that was already there but that didn't solve it. I don't want to do the same now. 

I do think it's possibly a flow issue. Is there a reliable way to measure water pump flow or flow across the block? Has anyone here had blocked coolant passages causing an overheating issue? Could it possibly be the heat cross over on the R4B? The headers are ceramic coated by the way. 

Currently installed pump:

Original pump that came with the car (in a box, not installed)

I will replace the upper radiator hose and use a block tester again to check for combustion gases. If all else fails I guess I could replace the water pump but I really don't think thats' the issue. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Zyzx Zyzx wrote:

At the same time, I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses. Since doing that, the car immediately overheats.

Do you mean that it worked well before and after the hose change it does not?  When I run into overheating problems the first thing I check is belt tension, I got fooled once by that.  The second is to pull the thermostat and see how the engine responds.  As to water pump problems, if it is the correct application the only time I've ever seen problems is with the plastic impellers that Mopar used for a while that would loosen from the shaft.  That gave many mechanics another grey hair until the problem was identified.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 4:18pm
Sounds like you checked the most likely causes causing overheating. At this point I would recommend "burping" the engine. I had to do this to several cars after installing an engine. It's easy to do. I prefer doing it on a sloped driveway. Car pointed up hill, block off wheels, jack the car up as high as it will go with a floor jack under the front cross member, remove radiator cap, start engine. If the block needed burping you will see air bubbles float to the top of the radiator. Let it idle a few minutes to evacuate all the air trapped in the block. Lower car. Take it for a spin. Good luck.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2019 at 5:43pm
Not that this is related to the overheating problem, but it appears that the car has an a/c compressor with reversed connections. York compressors came with both orientations of the suction and discharge ports. On the AMC compressor the suction side is to the outside and the discharge is on the inside. The normal orientation of the service valves is with the ports both to the inside facing each other and parallel to the center line of the car. You'll find that the a/c hoses will also fit better.

BTW, have you done a compression check ? There's no way that the engine should overheat just idling. Besides a compression leak or possibly a reversed water pump impeller, it would seem you may have a coolant flow volume problem. Have you tried a simple flow check by removing the thermostat and lower rad. hose and just running a high volume of tap water backwards through the block ? A "backyard" reverse flush ?

Edited by george w - Jul/25/2019 at 5:51pm
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic