TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Original 1970 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 4:01am
Shocks and tires make the biggest difference in old cars.

Soft shocks and good, high quality tires go a long way,
but that leaf spring rear axle is so close by in the two seaters you'll always know you're driving a 52 year old performance car.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 5:38am
My recommendation is to rebuild the suspension with rubber bushings and do a coil over conversion as shown here. Coil over conversion advice - The AMC Forum - Page 1 Most likely your springs are sagged out and getting proper replacements is hard and then you're having to deal with getting the right shocks. By doing the conversion, it'll cost about the same but you can adjust the ride height and run different spring rates. Add a quick ratio steering box and it'll drive a whole lot nicer. There's been a lot of topics about springs and shocks in the suspension section so take some time to read thru them. It'll help you to decide what course to take. 
Same goes for aftermarket suspension. As troutwilly said, the control freaks will do nothing for the ride and that's because they use rod ends instead of bushings. I have a Fatman IFS that does use bushings and it rides nicer than stock IMO but it's major surgery to put it in because it's welded in. It's a big investment to make but worth it if you're going to drive it a lot. Do your research first and ask questions before you start buying parts. Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 10:21am
A set of modern radial tires and new shocks made an enormous difference in the ride and handling of my 69 AMX. It will establish a good baseline for assessing where you want to head with the car. Echoing others, it is your car do what makes you smile. 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 10:59am
See below, lol 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 11:00am
Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

I've had several 2 seat AMX's, from trailer queens to drivers, all with stock, or mostly so, suspensions. A good overhaul of the original suspension will get you 90% to the ride and handling these cars had when new, maybe a bit better because shock absorber technology has improved a lot in 50 years. That said, it'll be as good as new, 50+ years ago. I don't know if there's enough technology or money to make a 50 year old muscle car ride and handle like today's average sedan or SUV. Which begs the question, why would you want it to ride like a Buick or handle like a Caterham 7? My Corvette rides much better than even my nicest AMX, handles like, well, a Corvette, and gets more than twice the fuel mileage of any AMX. But I don't think I could duplicate any of that performance in an AMX, short of installing the necessary Corvette parts under an AMX. Which would make it an expensive, one of a kind, not-so-much an AMX anymore.
  Fix it the way you want, but don't make it a multi-year project. You said you wanted to drive it. Best way is to embrace the technology that these cars came with and the warts that come with them now. Otherwise, list it and buy a Corvette!

Just as a point of reference, what year of Corvette are you referring to? I mean, I don’t know if you’re comparing a contemporary ‘68 - ‘70 Corvette to a ‘68 - ‘70 AMX, or a Corvette that’s newer (or older). 

My ‘69 AMX with a fully rebuilt front suspension using OEM rubber bushings, new trunnions and modern radial tires with gas-charged Gabriel shock absorbers front & rear rides just fine. I kept the original coil springs and went with new leaf springs only. 

I’ll be Captain Obvious here and state that there’s a difference between ‘ride’ and ‘handling’. It depends on what you’re after and everything is a compromise. 

Edited by sweatlock - Oct/14/2022 at 11:11am
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2022 at 7:48pm
As a long time Corvette owner who bought my first one in 1976, I am now on my 16th Corvette. I can assure you that C2 and C3 Corvettes (1963-1982) don't ride or handle anything like a modern car either. The newer ones are way better, but all newer cars are also.
desotodave View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2022 at 2:05pm
Thanks for engaging in the discussion with me.   My 18 year old son has been dying to get this car on the road.   In the last week we did a bunch of brake work, new Fuel pump, new radiator hoses and thermostat, and put some basic tires on it.

We took the AMX out put about 15 miles on it.   It had been almost 30 years since I have driven the car.   Frankly it ran way better than I would have expected.   The carburetor could use a rebuild, and it leaks fluid from every possible spot, but it is drivable.    
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2022 at 2:09pm
Think from what you have all said here that I should start with all new rubber parts and shocks.  Going to start there.   If it rides and drives decently enough, then I will leave it as stock.   Time to start looking for all of the little stuff.   Rubber window seals, headliner and all the parts that just get old.   Any suggestions for sources would be appreciated.

Once I kind of get the basics out of the way I am going to put a paint job on it, and rebuild the Engine, trans, etc.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2022 at 7:45am
Hopefully one of these days Ill be able to post up some pictures.   It is kind of an unusual color combo, Tijuana Tan and Shadow black hood.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2022 at 7:52am
Quick question.   Is there somewhere that sells all of the new rubber parts for a 1970 AMX as a kit?  I just want to replace it all to get a clean place to start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic