TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Original 1970 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original 1970 AMX
    Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 6:06pm
First timer here. I own a 1970 AMX 390 Auto, air that is totally unmolested.   My Grandma was the original owner (seriously, we owned a tiny AMC dealership back in the day) sold it to my Uncle, and I have owned it since 1982.   Have all of the original paperwork window sticker etc.   The car runs and drives (not great).   Has 100K miles on it.   The drivetrain really needs a rebuild, the carpet and headliner are shot, and the paint is crap.   Good news is that it has zero rust, dents or past bodywork. As I start to work on this, my first focus is going to be the drivetrain.   Ill rebuild the engine and trans, and probably do a little internal work on the engine.   My real quandry comes to the suspension and drivetrain.   See that many people are retrofitting modern suspension, which I do find attractive as the original rides like a truck!!   All of the bushings etc need replacement anyways.   As this is a very original nice car, am I better going back 100% original?   Do people not care?  Does it depend on how much i'm going to drive it?   I know most of this is up to me.   But I would like feedback from those of you that have been there and done that.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 6:23pm
  This is a pretty common question, and there are going to be lots of opinions.  My opinion is that if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, do what you like.  If you want to put modern suspension in it, or at least update what is there, go ahead.  If you're not crazy about the color and want to change it while you are painting it, do it.  If you want to add fuel injection, different wheels, headers, its all up to you.
  If you are looking to freshen it up to enjoy for a short time, then sell it, then you may be better off rebuilding it stock.  The next buyer may not appreciate the changes that you put in the car and not be willing to pay a premium for the updates.
  The biggest thing is to do what makes you happy.  Have fun!

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

This is a pretty common question, and there are going to be lots of opinions.  My opinion is that if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, do what you like.  If you want to put modern suspension in it, or at least update what is there, go ahead.  If you're not crazy about the color and want to change it while you are painting it, do it.  If you want to add fuel injection, different wheels, headers, its all up to you.
  If you are looking to freshen it up to enjoy for a short time, then sell it, then you may be better off rebuilding it stock.  The next buyer may not appreciate the changes that you put in the car and not be willing to pay a premium for the updates.
  The biggest thing is to do what makes you happy.  Have fun!

Mike

Well said! Clap  Don't make it get to the point where you don't want to drive or enjoy it. There's plenty of trailer queens out there already.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
desotodave View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 8:26pm
Thanks.   If I were to change out specifically suspension, what are suggestions for ways to go

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 9:02pm
I don't know that you're going to get a better ride from something like Control Freaks. Ride has a lot to do with the condition of all the bushings and parts, and what size tires/wheels you have on it, and what springs and shocks you have. AMXs are not great riding cars with their short wheelbase and stiff springs, but I can tell you mine rides better since I put on new slightly larger than stock tires, 215/70/14 (most everything else on my car is stock, and 52 years old, including suspension bushings).
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 9:13pm
The car has been sitting around doing nothing for the last 30 years as I can't decide what direction to go with it.  It is a sentimental car for me as it has been in the family since new.   But, frankly despite being quick, they do drive like a truck.   Just wanting feedback from those of you that have done a major change and see if it is worth it, or do I just go put fresh bushings in it and call it good.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 9:14pm
I would end up driving the car.  Not daily, but I don't have cars to sit on a trailer and take to shows.   It would be a driver.   
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 9:32pm
Be forewarned that most aftermarket suspensions are geared toward handling and not ride. They do away with the soft rubber bushings. Pay attention to what ramblinrev Paul says.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 10:06pm
I just did the complete CF upgrade and totally agree with the previous comments.  You feel and hear every little ripple in the road, but it handles like its on rails.  And the (cammed) engine vibrations also get transmitted to the body because (I believe) of the different engine mounts.  Would I do it again?  Not sure.  I'm still playing around with shock settings (18 compression and rebound settings on each corner) to see if I can get it to improve.  And there's no limit to the ride height adjustment.  But I've done a lot more than just suspension mods and it seems every change has caused some pain, almost to the point where I sometimes wish I'd left it alone...nah, its making me think (and spend) outside the box.
Bill O.
70 AMX
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2022 at 10:59pm
I've had several 2 seat AMX's, from trailer queens to drivers, all with stock, or mostly so, suspensions. A good overhaul of the original suspension will get you 90% to the ride and handling these cars had when new, maybe a bit better because shock absorber technology has improved a lot in 50 years. That said, it'll be as good as new, 50+ years ago. I don't know if there's enough technology or money to make a 50 year old muscle car ride and handle like today's average sedan or SUV. Which begs the question, why would you want it to ride like a Buick or handle like a Caterham 7? My Corvette rides much better than even my nicest AMX, handles like, well, a Corvette, and gets more than twice the fuel mileage of any AMX. But I don't think I could duplicate any of that performance in an AMX, short of installing the necessary Corvette parts under an AMX. Which would make it an expensive, one of a kind, not-so-much an AMX anymore.
  Fix it the way you want, but don't make it a multi-year project. You said you wanted to drive it. Best way is to embrace the technology that these cars came with and the warts that come with them now. Otherwise, list it and buy a Corvette!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic