TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ONE BARREL EFI!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ONE BARREL EFI!!
    Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 10:03pm
OK now this is what I have been looking for!!

Assuming this works out as a product, this is a no-brainer for me. Not cheap but my previous experience with throttle body EFI was wonderful, other than the PITA of tuning an old OEM system, which this eliminates.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 10:40pm
That is way cool. Would be awesome on my 71 Javelin 258!
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 11:45pm
It is cool.

Until somebody with a two barrel carburetor on their six blasts the paint off your one barrel EFI six. Then it's not so cool any more. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 12:23am
LOL. (EFI or not, blasting by me is a common occurrence anyway :-)

But ... Venturis are a (very clever) kludge to get velocity up etc and involves buckets of compromises. One two or ten isn't better, just necessary.

A magic black box on the manifold that delivers the right A/F mix for all occasions will beat a carburetor in every condition for which the carb is not at it's perfect operating condition, and when the carb is perfect, it's a match. "Barrel" count doesn't matter, flow and A/F does. 

WIth EFI the issue is quality of sensor data (less, here, with this 1bbl TBI setup than say a modern EFI system) and the dynamic range (granularity of smallest to widest pulse with range), but hard to believe the Sniper, set up right, doesn't beat the pants off any carburetor ever anywhere any time. Even an exquisitely tuned carb.

The old GM TBI setup I put on that 232ci in my Classic wagon went from a nice BBD (I think, I forget) on a late-model aluminum manifold, where it got 18 mpg average on long trips, to solid 20 mpg for same power. There's no downside to EFI I can think of.

I do like messing with carburetors though. And we're not driving Ramblers for their modern features. I like my vacuum wipers too. Not judging anyone who keeps 'em. The YFA will remain on my 68 American. Probably.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 1:47am
I'm not arguing for carburetors, I'm arguing for airflow regardless of how the fuel itself is delivered with that air. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 7:02am
Holley doesn't include flow (CFM) data, but says it supports up to 300 cubic inches and 175 hp. That will cover any stock AMC six and possibly give a bit more power, depending on other mods like intake and cam. I'd use an Isky 256/262 or 262 Supercam with it, or a stock 4.0L cam (which is about the same as an Isky 256 Supercam). Or have a 195.6 cam ground to 0.100" more lift and 20 degrees more duration (I did once -- Lunati recommended specs). I don't recall the final lift, I want to say 0.377"?? I do know the duration was 264. Didn't help low end of the long stroke six, but helped the mid range tremendously! Had more speed holding/passing power, which is really what it needed. Not a lot you can do to pep up the low end of a slow turning long stroke/small bore engine!!
Frank Swygert
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 10:27am
As an owner of six "collector" cars I can say I thoroughly enjoy the fact that my Pinto wagon has a Turbo motor from an '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. The EFI, regardless of how long it has sat just starts right up every time.

EFI transplants are also a constant subject on the Corvair Forum. I'm probably naïve on the subject but if the sensors are reading air flow, air to fuel ratio and temperatures why do I read that adapting an EFI systems from another motor often doesn't work?

I'd think especially if the system was adapted from a similar sized displacement engine it should dial itself in given the adaptive properties of the ECU. I mean in the end it is just fuel and air being burned in a chamber. I'm not talking about the physical adaptation (which is a challenge I enjoy) but why there seems to be so much of an issue that an adapted system just doesn't work well from what I assume is a sensor reading, ECU controlling perspective?

Back to the Corvair - there is at least one set up available where the original carburetors are used as throttle bodies thus retaining mostly stock appearance and air filtration system.

I just struggle with an aftermarket $800-$1,200 EFI system for my cars that are probably worth $2,500. On the other hand if there was a free system available from someone's 'going to the junk yard car' I'd be inclined want to try the adaptation.
'63 American Hardtop
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 11:42am
The Mustang fuel tank they show on the link also looks like it may be promising for an AMC EFI system.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 3:11pm
I think it’s cool and it should help address cold (choke) or hot (vapor lock) starting issues; should also help with driveability and emissions. Since the engine will run a little more efficiently there may be a modest power gain vs. a well setup carburetor, but the main gains will be in MPG and emissions. 

This is in regards to a throttle body fuel injection setup, which is only marginally better than a carb; a multipoint fuel injection system is another animal. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I'm not arguing for carburetors, I'm arguing for airflow regardless of how the fuel itself is delivered with that air. 

I got that. You're right, it's about flow and of the right mix. If the 1-bore is choking, the dual would fix it. 

A 195.6 at 5000 rpm is pumping barely 225 cfm, and no 195.6 runs at 5000 for very long (read that either way :-) It's very easy to over-carb (sic) small motors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic