TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 58>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 7:13pm
Ollie - I am so sorry to read about Theresa. Meeting the two of you in Las Vegas several years ago was really wonderful. 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 8:37am
Thanks Suzanne. We were planning on being in Boulder City but it was a bit to much for me to make the trip by myself. On next years bucket list, met alot of new friends on our last trip and need to see everybody again.

Back to the transmission...........

Worked on the tail shaft bearing. Yes, Chopper Bob was 100% correct. The bearing was bad. The bearing that the local transmission supply house sold me was not the correct bearing, too big. Also the tail shaft bushing and seal from O'Reillys was not correct either, also to big.

Took the bearing out of the core transmission and it is good. The bushing and seal (that was not leaking) was re-used.

Now I need to begin a new bearing search. It is a SKF 6206/29.578/VB064. 

I have one more modification of the trans per the Transgo kit to do. I am a bit leery to do it myself without some expert guidance. I will get with the pros next week.

Progress is a wonderful thing!!!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 8:41am
Ollie - first I'd like to say that I'm sincerely sorry to hear of what happened to your wife and best friend Teresa, I am glad that it sounds like you guys both had many years of fun and enjoyment together and that is most definitely something worth celebrating!

I am also, very happy to see your project coming together and that your trip went well outside of that infamous Janesville mystery man.

I will be the first to admit, that I am terrible with my cell phone and if I don't recognize a phone number I will generally not answer it.  I get about 10-15 spam phone calls a day.

That being said, I know you were coming from some distance, but this is honestly the first time I've ever had a phone call be a required piece of a transaction, especially for a transmission that I was selling for what, $40-60?

I would also say your plan was pretty rocky from the beginning and I think you would agree with me.  We initially discussed Monday Oct 25th, I let you know that I worked in the office on Mondays and Wednesdays and requested Tuesday Oct 26th.  We came to an initial agreement on this day, wanting to give you more than 30 minutes of my time, I actually took this day off, using my personal PTO to try and cater to you. 

You then rescheduled to October 28th, so my above PTO ended up just being a relaxation day, which is fine, I had plenty to catch up on.  October 26th you reached out and said you will then be in town November 4th around 9-9:30.  We agreed to meet at my house and I would have the transmission for you, as I had to work and have meetings in the morning, meeting at my storage would unfortunately not work for me.

October 27th you reached out again stating that you wanted the converter and all linkages and dipstick tubes and dipsticks that I had.  I let you know that I pulled the dipstick tube and dipstick from another unit and would include it for you, but had no usable linkages.

October 31st you reached out again asking for the yolk, but no driveshaft.  I let you know that I did not have one on hand.  This was the last time I saw any messages until November 3rd, when I got on to verify that nothing had come up before we met the next morning.

It was at this time that I realized I missed some messages from you and apparently multiple phone calls.

I gave you a call back, where you expressed anger and called me a scammer, for not calling you to confirm a meeting date that we had already confirmed.  

Fortunately I'm only out my time that I spent tending to your requests and a day of earned PTO time.

Just thought I would share both sides here, as maybe neither of us handled it well, but I have honestly never had to work that hard for a small sale on a somewhat common item.

Either way, I wish you luck on your journey and your build, it's unfortunate things didn't work out.

- Mystery Man from Janesville Smile
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2021 at 10:21am
 trewyn 15.......Thank you for taking some time to respond.........I guess that our meeting just wasn't meant to be. I for the life of me can't understand why you refused call me when I repeatedly sent you my phone number and asked you to please phone me; that way we would have had each others numbers in our phones. Seems to me that would have been easier and less time consuming than E mailing. Sorry for all your wasted time. Life goes on, no hard feels on this end.

Back to my tail shaft bearing search........I have discovered that in 1972 Chrysler changed the bearing size, at least in 904 transmissions. They reduced the size of the output shaft. Not sure about 727's. The used bearing that I bought locally is the larger pre 1972 bearing. 

The bearing I need has a inside diameter of 29.578 mm. That bearing is not being produced, but an inside diameter of 30 mm is out there. I purchased one on E Bay and it is on the way to me. I have read at a couple of Mopar sites that bearing will work. My plan, (plan 1) is to install it and see what I think.

Plan 2. I have found a transmission shop, on the internet, that says they have the bearing. That site has not been updated since 2015. Not a good sign, but I will phone them tomorrow. I did phone Friday and got an answering machine so the phone # is good. 

Plan 3. The bearing in the core transmission that came from Illinois is good and it is in the transmission now. 

I did find a AMC part # 3182779

More updates coming.....

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 8:46am
HALLELUIAH........HALLELUIAH........GLORY HALLELUIAH !!!!!!!!!

I have located the proper and correct tailshaft bearing !!!!!!!!!!
Got 2 of them on the way.........

The Mopar Racing Transmission Shop in Indiana has them. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2021 at 7:12pm
Transmission progress and its a big leap forward..............Beer

Road Warriors transmission is home in the shop and ready to be installed. 
  • A refurbished valve body by OllieMotorSports, with TransGo TF-1 kit
  •  New tail shaft bearing, correct size.  FAG 2A-836
  • Drain plug welded into trans pan
Here is the updated bearing status:

The top bearing is a pre 1972 bearing, its a used bearing I bought locally at a transmission parts store. I was told it was the correct bearing for my 1983 trans.. I have read at Mopar web sites that the SKF bearing will work. The ID is slightly different, but its out there and available. E Bay $10

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2021 at 9:05am
Great Day In The Morning !!!!!  Those guy's over at OllieMotorSports have got it going on !! 

Got this sneak peek as the trans was going in. I took Road Warrior for a test ride yesterday afternoon and got the Lokar kick down cable adjusted and I love the shifting. I pulled about 1 1/2" more cable than before. If that was the old valve body it would have down shifted and stayed there.

The valve body kit that I used was the TransGo TF-1. Its perfect for me. It is very aggressive in second gear. The kit did have a new spring for the 2 to 3 shift valve. Wow, at normal acceleration it will not shift out of second until approximately 55 mph or 3800 rpm.  Floored its about 65 at 4100.  If you want a grandpa shift just ease up the accelerator pressure and it shifts.   Tongue

The downshifting is perfect and the howling is gone too. The tail shaft bearing was bad.

Road Warrior is now finally rounding the corner. This build has been very slow in coming, major engine head issue, coil springs on the rack and pinion steering to stiff and the trans issue thats been there since day one..............all fixed !!!!!!

I picked up a Jeep Cherokee. It has the 4.0 head that will work on the 258 in Road Warrior. Also power windows that will fit in my Jeep Comanche.

Looks better from the rear.

I need the extra 50 HP now the transmission is shifting correctly !!!!

Next project on Road Warrior is to redo the AC vents.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2021 at 12:32pm
Next project is to redo the AC vents. 

After traveling one summer in Road Warrior I see that I need side air vents blowing across the door and window. I had tinted the windows and have door insulation but I am not satisfied. I purchased some new below the dash vents.

I built a cover out of ABS plastic to go under the steering column. That was my first attempt at working with the ABS and I used 1/8" thick......wrong ...way to thick.

I am satisfied with the results, but it will be fine tuned a bit more. I will put the air vent right where the light is located and reposition the light.

Going to replace the three hole center piece with this......

I will build something around this piece with ABS, as I am installing a vacuum gauge between this piece and the steering column. 

Everything must be repositioned on the passenger side.

The round vents.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Dec/11/2021 at 12:36pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2021 at 7:10am
Don't expect a 50 hp increase unless you're using the EFI as well. The power increase for the head change has been greatly exaggerated on most Jeep sites.
Frank Swygert
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2021 at 2:52am
What vintage air unit did you go with? I am about to put a Gen 4 unit in my car
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 58>
  Share Topic