TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 7:25pm
After reading this, I am glad he (mystery man) never responded to my multiple PM's etc.
Good to hear you are on a good path to resolve those transmission problems. And I too am sorry to hear of Teresa's passing! RIP

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 10:01am
Hi Ollie, I saw your post about your stop light switch problem and wanted to share the solution I found to my exact problem, here is a pic of the type of stop light switch I replaced, this is the old one, but the exact same kind was used and my brake lights work now, I don't have a link, just a picture, maybe if you want I can look at the receipt and see if there's any info on there for a part number for you?

Pop Tro View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pop Tro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 11:39am
58 super,that switch you have there is basically a generic pressure switch used on many makes and models in the older days.They get filled with crud and wont release keeping the lights on,or they dont work at all. you need a switch that matches the piping which I think he's dealing with.
     I've followed your posts on the 58 and wanted to jump through the computer to help you out.I'll give you credit for your ambition and hope things are moving forward on your project.Good luck.

Tro,60 super
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 12:44pm
Hi to both 58 Rambler super and Tro....

I was trying to improve on the stock brake lite switch. I found that switch on the internet and it was advertised as an improvement. Was not the case for me.

I went back to the stock type switch, but one improvement is out there. A lower pressure turn on. Thats what I put in. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 4:05pm
Condolences my friend. So sorry to hear this. Please take care.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Devilboy Devilboy wrote:

Condolences my friend. So sorry to hear this. Please take care.

Thanks,  Jeremy, you met her, you know how sweet she was. 
Been rough, but I am looking for a good car gal. Like the guy looking for a fishing gal said, "send picture of boat"......hehehehe
Our friend Rich is down sizing and moving into a apartment. His Dodge was sold..

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 7:00am
You can still get that generic pressure switch at car parts stores. The last one I bought was an Echlin brand (NAPA). That was back in 2004 or so. Lasted about six months in daily driving. Got pulled over for running TWO stop signs! Cop told me I didn't even slow down for the last on. I started to say something (he almost rear ended me!), but when he said "You know I could take you in for reckless driving" I decided against it. Pretty much got out of it in court, but still had to pay court fees and one fine (but half points on one...). I replaced the pressure switch with a brake pedal switch. The generic replacements are ok for seldom driven collector cars (I still carry a spare and check daily), but not a daily/often driven one. If you want to keep a pressure switch order a HD unit from Ron Francis Wiring. It's the one most hot rodders use and will hold up. Still wouldn't hurt to carry a spare. Ron is a forum member and has a Rambler also!

At least later Ramblers (or maybe just Americans) had the pressure switch in the master cylinder. they were pointing down under the MC, right in the middle between the brake line outlets. This let trash settle in the switch. I haven't much experience with the 50s big cars, but the switch in the junction block in the position shown is certainly better than upside down under the MC!
Frank Swygert
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 7:05am
Throw those horrible unreliable brake light pressure switches in the trash & get something reliable that actuates fast. There is a reason the factories stopped using them 50+ years ago.

Install something like this, it may prevent you from getting rear ended! Or adapt the style of switch on the brake pedal that the factory started using in about 1969.

Edited by scott - Nov/23/2021 at 7:09am
"Prolly" is not a word.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 12:52pm
My 69 Rambler has a brake pedal switch. Pretty sure the 68 I parted out did, too. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 6:37am
That would be correct. It was around 68 that they moved away from the hydraulic switch. I'd have to check the TSMs to be sure exactly when the "switch" occurred...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 58>
  Share Topic