TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 1989 Jeep Comanche

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ollie's 1989 Jeep Comanche
    Posted: Feb/14/2021 at 12:01pm

We sold our yellow 1966 Rambler American convertible. Had a lot of good times touring America, putting on over 80,000 miles traveling to AMC events. I hope that we are as well served by the 1969 American that I built to replace him. So far Road Warrior his proven himself well. This past summer, due to the Chinese Pandemic, we only traveled 10,000 miles. Had a couple new build issues, but nothing unsurmountable, the suspension being the most notable. 

In June of 2020 I purchased a 1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer pick-up truck for my AMC collection. It is a fairly unmolested 140,000 mile  survivor. In reality is a Chrysler product as the sale of AMC to Chrysler went down in late 1988. Chrysler kept producing the truck with no changes. It has the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine, two wheel drive model.

Day I became the new owner of The Comanche Pioneer.

The Comanche was to become my daily driver, replacing the Ford F-150 you see in the back ground. For the next six months I did a lot of work to get it up to my satisfaction.

Work and Repair List completed on The Comanche

Engine

·        New Injectors, TPS & air idler sensor

·        New Alternator, appeared to have been recently replaced, but failed

·        New Starter, was factory original, failed after 2k miles

·        Filters and Fluids

·        New Battery & cables

·        New radiator hoses

·        New fan belt

·        Polished aluminum valve cover & replaced gasket

Transmission

·        Serviced

Rear Axle

·        Serviced

Suspension

·        New shocks

·        New steering dampener

·        New tires, wheels & alignment

Accessories

·        New wiper motor, blades & and repaired windshield washer system

·        New clearance light lens & headlight sealed beams

·        New interior lights to replace removed lights

·        Installed gauges to replace idiot lights; oil, volt & temp

·        Dash Pad

·        Added proper Pioneer graphics

·        New ignition switch & rewired brake light switch

·        Refurbished tail light lens & wired in trailer pig tail

·        New outside mirrors

·        Refurbished steering wheel horn button

·        Replaced window whiskers

HVAC System

·        Refurbished AC system with new compressor, condenser, expansion valve, dryer & hoses

·        New heater control valve,  hooked up properly  & new hoses

Box

·        Sprayed in bed liner

·        Found a SnugTop topper and reconditioned it

My Comanche Pioneer has come a long way and it is now a very dependable driver. I found the camper top in Tennessee just north of Knoxville. We had a great road trip to pick it up. Truck ran like a top, averaged 19.5 mpg running 68-70 mph, and I could not be more satisfied. I am looking at many more miles and good service from another AMC that is back on the road !!!!! TKS for reading, Ollie

Having AMC Fun,

Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 2:59am
Thumbs Up  

I did something similar 5 yrs ago. Bought a 88 Comanche. 4.0- 4/wheel drive short bed. Drive train was at 143,000 so very little work there except a tune-up and cleaning. The body on the other hand needed new rockers and the wheel wells on the bed were rusted. Typical east coast rust, but relatively minor rust compared to most vehicles in this area. 

Your truck looks good!!!!!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

Thumbs Up  

I did something similar 5 yrs ago. Bought a 88 Comanche. 4.0- 4/wheel drive short bed. Drive train was at 143,000 so very little work there except a tune-up and cleaning. The body on the other hand needed new rockers and the wheel wells on the bed were rusted. Typical east coast rust, but relatively minor rust compared to most vehicles in this area. 

Your truck looks good!!!!!

I am happy with my decision. My Ford did the job for many years,  but was in need of an engine overhaul. I am done trailering vehicles and a new truck, for what I would use it for,  is cost prohibitive. Another factor is the insurance, I can use my collector car insurance for the Comanche but not the Ford. They are both 89's. 

My Comanche was sold new in south GA and was a second owner in south AL, so it has never seen salt. It was just painted when I got it so that big job had been done. 

The biggest job was the AC/heat system as neither was working. Most of the rest was just minor peddling stuff.

If you ever run across some grey door panels in excellent condition let me know. Any years and XJ also fit.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie 
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 2:50pm
Good luck with the MJ. Looks like a nice solid southern car/truck. Of course the 4.0 is good for 300k miles if maintained well. The AW-4 is also a good unit and I drain the pan every year and use a quality trans fluid for the refill. Lots of parts availability and simple to work on. I have 6 vehicles including a 2018 Ford F-150 but I still love driving my 2 door cherokee. Its stays garaged with the 2 AMCs and corvette even though my wife complains her new Toyota sits in the weather
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 6:02pm
Nice looking truck!
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 4:16am

If you ever run across some grey door panels in excellent condition let me know. Any years and XJ also fit.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie 
[/QUOTE]

Check with the Jeep folks. The Comanche Forum or Jeep forums are a good place in the wanted column.

Luckily the grey panels are the most abundant.

I will also check any pick-r-own junk yards. There are still enough XJ's around to possibly find a set.

I managed to snag a couple of sets of tail lights at the junk yards a few years ago, one of the harder items to get for the Comanche.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2021 at 11:33pm
I don’t get the all black wheel thing, but hey, nice truck.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2021 at 10:31am
Nice looking comanche olllie. I have an 88 model MJ its pictured on page 5 in show more jeeps section. Bought mine in 2007 off ebay ,rust free its been a fun truck.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2023 at 2:13pm
I have been working on the stock wheels. 

The center caps were really messed up when I got the truck. They had been screwed on from the outside, self taping screws,  all marred up when someone  attempted to remove them incorrectly.

A club member fixed me up with some really nice caps and a sliding back glass window; which is as rare as hens teeth or dentures!

Painted the wheels the same silver as the top. Cleaned and put caps on with new stainless steel screws.

Now the project awaits more money. New tires. The tires now on the truck go on my 16 foot trailer.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic