TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic ClosedOil Pump Gear Kit Installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2016 at 7:43am
Pump relief stuck partly open or weak spring?
Filter plugged and going into bypass (gauge reads after filter)?
Rod, main or cam bearing clearances excessive or hole somewhere? 

Tight pump gear endplay won't spin the pump slower so won't decrease pressure.
Endplay would have to be far out of spec to get only 40psi cold. 

Assuming gauge is reading correctly, issue is elsewhere. If going by the stock gauge, they often read low.

Hope this helps,RD.
Edit: fixed font size

Edited by Red Devil - Dec/22/2016 at 10:29am
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2016 at 8:54am
Have the cam bearings been checked/replaced? I've seen probably 50% of the engines I've pulled apart have the coating flaking from the factory cam bearings. This will cause a big drop in oil pressure.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2016 at 10:18am
That scuffing on the end plate does not seem abnormal to me. It tells you that is not the source of your leak. If you do have confirmed low oil pressure, hopefully it is just something easy to fix like a stuck open plunger. What about sealing it closed with a stronger spring to try it before looking further?
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 12:23am
I know this is a very old post but Jessy was a good friend of mine. actually, my best friend.  The 390 was just old and tired so he did a refresh on it. He had the crank polished and left the bore Standard just a hone. Installed a new cam and cam bearings including mains and rod bearings. Low budget build. I helped him here and there but Jessy did most of the work. I thought he washed the engine thoroughly but mistakes were made and he didn't clean the oil galleries. Enough grit was left in the galleries that it wiped out the mains and rod journals even the thrust. He ended up brining the car over and we pulled the engine had the crank thrust built up and machined the M.010 and R.010. Modified the cam bearings and installed making sure there clocked in position. Resurfaced the oil pump cover and installed the steel Seperator plate. made dang sure everything was surgically clean and reassembled. Engine ran great and oil pressure was as good as it can get 15PSI hot at idle Amsoil 10w30. Engine is still running great and I just came back from Jessy's sisters house where the AMX is now stored. Jessy passed away in January 2021 due to complications from Covid. He called me on a Monday rate before New Year's saying that this next year has to be better and we need to hit up all the car shows in the area and make it to San Antonio for the monthly AMC meet. That following Thursday he called and said he tested positive for the virus but felt like he just had a mild flew. That weekend I received a call from Jessy's brother in-law saying Jess is in the Hospital and they had to put him in a coma.  Early Monday he passed away. really hit me hard and still am in shock even after all this time. Jessy was in his mid 40's a gym coach for a local middle school. Health nut and all ways stressing healthy habits. A good man that all ways looked out for others. Will be missed. I bought an AMX and every time I turn a wrench on her I which Jessy was helping me out, I guess he is in his own way now.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 12:25am
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 5:44am
Very disheartening to hear. This flu has taken some of my personal friends too. Me abd my family, friends and work colleagues have also had it (one of them twice). It is nothing to play with  Peace for your family and his
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 6:24am
Man, that is terrible. I’m very sorry to hear that about your friend. My condolences to his family. 
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 7:17am
Very sad, sorry for your loss. A friend of mine died of Covid 19 this past summer. I still haven't gotten over it.

-Steve-
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 9:00am
sorry to hear about your friend....sounds like you had some great times together.
maybe he didn't get the jab--please, holdouts, get vaccinated! it could save your life!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by bikerfox bikerfox wrote:

please, holdouts, get vaccinated! it could save your life!

Not to hijack the thread or get political.  I have not/will not get jabbed.  I'm a healthy 61 year old.  I had COVID back in March 2021, it was not more than a head cold.  99.6% in my age group will survive without a hospital visit.  I tested positive, and now test positive for the antibodies.  Data out of  Israel shows natural immunity (which I now have) is 6-13 times better than the jab, without any of the possible side effects (including death, which happened to a close friend).  He died just 3 days after his second jab, myocarditis, he was a healthy 65 year old who jogged daily.

No replies necessary.  Just my $.02 response.  I don't want the thread deleted, moderators are free to delete if this is inappropriate.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic